• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
For all the praise everyone (myself included) gives it, Melee has the worst balance of any Smash game.

I don't get why so many kids are hot for Peach, Rosalina, etc., their faces are cartoony af

Sonic is aight. I think he gets too much hate because of his polarizing fanbase. Plus he seems like he's a good counter to Diddy, so all the more reason to use him

Lowell

Smash Rookie
I'm sure someone else has said this already, but I don't really think Little Mac is OP. Sure he checks half the cast but if a competent player can beat him.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I feel the same way about ZSS players
>is a ZSS main
>this post

Teach me how not to be annoying plz.

I still to this day don't get why we didn't get Stage Builder on the 3DS. Personally it would've worked great with how they implemented it on the Wii U, and there's not really much of a difference between a Gamepad and a touchscreen. So why not?
Space limitations. See Ice Climber removal.

• Greninja will immediately be forgotten like the Gen 4 and 5 starters, Miis should've either been full-on custom characters or used attacks based off of games where you play as your Mii
  • Sheik, Jigglypuff and ZSS are infinitely less important to Nintendo than Lucas, Wolf and Squirtle, and should've been cut instead of them.
1. Based Samurott God.
2. *Raises eyebrows* Full-on custom characters? Care to ellaborate? I MUST KNOW MORE.
3. True, they aren't super important, but I would indeed miss ZSS if only because of her moveset.

For all the praise everyone (myself included) gives it, Melee has the worst balance of any Smash game.

I don't get why so many kids are hot for Peach, Rosalina, etc., their faces are cartoony af
R34. No exceptions.

Sonic is alright. I think he gets too much hate because of his polarizing fanbase.
As a player of Sonic games, I can attest to this. The fanbase doesn't know what it wants. When Generations came out, people were saying "we like, but tired of boost mechanic." They throw it out with Lost World, and people reply with "nevermind, go back to the boost mechanic!" It's almost as bad as voters with presidents in the United States.

I feel his moveset in Brawl and P:M, (and arguably 3DS and U since I don't have any custom moves for him) is somewhat lacking in the special attacks department. I really feel it's a waste he has TWO spin dashes. I wish they'd either replace the Down-B with something like the Bounce, Stomp or dodge thingy from SA2B, or the Side-B with say, a Boost attack.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Full-on custom characters? Care to ellaborate?
As in, you'd be able to pick every individual move that the character has. I'd rather have a Mii based off of the Mii Sports and Find Mii games, but even though I main Mii Brawler, I think they handled Miis terribly either way. Now instead of a faithful adaptation or true custom characters, we have three more "Dragon King" fighters with movesets pulled completely out of thin air.

Last edited:

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
>is a ZSS main
>this post

Teach me how not to be annoying plz.

Space limitations. See Ice Climber removal.

1. Based Samurott God.
2. *Raises eyebrows* Full-on custom characters? Care to ellaborate? I MUST KNOW MORE.
3. True, they aren't super important, but I would indeed miss ZSS if only because of her moveset.
Even with r34 they don't look attractive IMO, hell, they're still drawn with the same cartoony faces. Even among other fictional ladies, they seem to stand out with kids lately. I mean, to each his own, but still. As if they weren't overrated enough.

All I want out of the actual Sonic games is another game where you can play as someone besides Sonic, like they did in the SA games. I get so bored with them otherwise.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'd argue 2/3 of the cast is a bunch of no names.

But that doesn't affect my love for those characters or my desire to see their respective series continue or my desire to see them in Smash.

The variety is cool and introduces people to a lot of cool series they would never otherwise hear of.

I do hate that people seem to think that getting in Smash sets the precedent for who's important or popular.

I don't care what people say.

Rosalina and Jr. will never be more important than Toad. And Jr. is one of my favorite Mario characters of all time.

Xenoblade is still niche and at this point shows no point of changing that. Same with Mother. I love both of these series deeply.

No, a main character not getting in like say Ridley, Chrom, Dixie Kong or King K.Rool doesn't make them unimportant. It just means they didn't get in for whatever reason.

Getting cut does not mean the character is suddenly less important or popular or whatever.

I really don't understand why people still hate the Miis. And I'm not talking moveset of implementation. People don't seem to consider them real characters and that's really dumb.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I really don't understand why people still hate the Miis. And I'm not talking moveset of implementation. People don't seem to consider them real characters and that's really dumb.
As someone who spends 90% of my Smash time online, I forget that Miis exist sometimes. I suppose they're okay to tinker around with for 5 minutes but they hold no interest to me.

-Custom moves and equipments are a waste of time. I would've preferred those resources to be used somewhere else.
- I want Shy Guy to be playable over Toad.
- While I miss there being a story mode, I can understand that it might have been difficult to implement them in both versions. I also understand that giving one version a story mode over another would have been too alienating. Whatever I guess. Maybe next time.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's sad that the ICs got cut, but I never cared about them or played as them, nor do I find them iconic to Nintendo, so I don't really give a **** that they're gone.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
The Ice Climbers were a cancer on the series and seeing the full roster without them was like a gigantic weight off my shoulders. I cannot tell you how genuinely horrified I was that they'd come back a third time with another completely different infinite. I know that they could theoretically come back without the infinite, but they're so extremely unimportant to Nintendo's history that IMO it's not even worth the risk.

Also, I think that any character who can't be accurately represented at all shouldn't be in the game.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I'll say this. Smash is built on a cast of characters one could debate all day on the degree "deserving" each character has. I mean, when I first played Smash 64, I had no idea who Samus, Ness, Captain Falcon, Kirby, or Fox was. Yet BECAUSE of Smash, I have played F-Zero, Mother, and Star Fox; and Metroid has become my favorite single video game franchise/universe as a whole, and the Kirby franchise led to some great memories and some childhood friends. None of that would have happened, probably, if it weren't for Smash.

On the same note, Fire Emblem would likely not be as popular in America if it hadn't been for the inclusion of Marth and Roy in Melee. I'd never heard of Sheik or Ganondorf when Melee came out, and then when I saw Mr. Game & Watch I was like "what is this??"

Brawl took less risks in that regard, I feel like. You had ROB who'd previously been re-introduced in Mario Kart DS, Lucas who people just took as "Ness but different" (it seemed like people were less shaken by his introduction being from a familiar franchise, same goes for Ike) and Pit. Pretty much every other character in the game was a pretty well-publicized one even if less popular like Olimar. And... to be honest, I think Brawl's roster was pretty boring. Looking back on it now, it almost feels like given how much Melee expanded the roster from 64, Smash 4's roster is more like what Brawl's should have been. Personally, I like the addition of new characters nobody's heard of as long as they're interesting and their franchise has a strong future. That's why I'm particularly happy Shulk made it in--Xenoblade is a quality game, and its sequel so far is shaping up to be a great successor. Shulk may not be in the game himself (that we know of), but at least Xenoblade is getting a new game and offering new experiences to the player.

As much as I love F-Zero and Captain Falcon, I can sort of see why that franchise hasn't gotten more roster attention. Falcon really is about as iconic as the F-Zero series gets, but doesn't have a lot to his name other than being a racer and bounty hunter. It's sort of difficult to try to put weight on a series that's not very combat based. Captain Falcon's moveset is entirely irrelevant to the series, so my understanding is that he's there more as a staple/icon/fan-favorite/classic to represent a series that's difficult to properly integrate into a fighter/party game.

As to why Wolf and Lucas got cut and Metroid didn't receive another representative, I'll never understand. Huge missed opportunity in my book, but at least we get Mewtwo? Wish we got just one more DLC character after that so the roster selection was even/full.

But anyway, my point is that Smash isn't about how many popular Mario characters can get stuffed into the game. It's about finding balance between properly representing popular series and also supporting diversity and unique franchises that maybe not too many people have heard about but Nintendo sees promise in, a la Xenoblade in this game, Kid Icarus in Brawl, Fire Emblem in Melee. I mean, if there aren't boundaries being broken, then what's the point? If only the most well-known characters get in, then it doesn't really serve as a marketing tool, which Smash partially is.

Also, there's always going to be odd-duck characters like Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff, ROB... To not expect them is to not be in the full Smash spirit, in my opinion.

As for me, I think Smash 4 has the most interesting roster so far, compensating for the fact that, for example, Melee wasn't going to be able to have 50 characters. Even if I hate that Lucas/Wolf are gone and some of my favorite franchise went unnoticed, I really enjoy the spread of characters brought to the table in this game. Clones are sorta welcomed since they didn't hinder the development of other characters too much.

Anyway I gotta go, but that's my take.
When you get that many likes in this thread, you've probably messed up

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
Well to be honest, a good portion of that was more of a reply than an actual thing I thought was an unpopular opinion. A few bits in there like the odd-duck character thing, smash 4 having the most interesting roster, and being able to sort-of agree with no other F-Zero reps were the "unpopular opinions" part, which just kinda got integrated into my reply. I dunno which part(s) people like, ahaha.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
  • I prefer SSB4's speed to P:M's, both in playing and in watching, for various reasons. (And both are leagues better than Brawl's - it might actually have a ghost of a chance of getting a following at EVO unlike that fiasco.)
  • The GC controller is nice and my personal favorite due to the layout, but it's getting ridiculous how much people worship it as the only option.
  • :4drmario: is a more unique character from his source than :4tlink:. I have no idea why the former is considered a "bad clone" and the latter a "good clone".

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Well, I guess one major thing would be that I prefer Brawls roster to Smash 4s.
Many of the cut characters were some of my favorites in the entire series, and most of 4s newcomers don't do anything for me.

That aside, I really don't enjoy watching Meele or PM tourney footage compated to Smash 4. They are mostly just endless combos and exploitation of game mechanics and don't look much like battles. In Smash 4 on the other hand, it's always exciting to see someone make a comeback after the opponent has a stock and % lead. Or it often comes down to both combatants have one stock left and very high %; those are usually very tense. I enjoy watching that a lot.

Also, I liked Pichu. A lot.

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Well, I guess one major thing would be that I prefer Brawls roster to Smash 4s.
Many of the cut characters were some of my favorites in the entire series, and most of 4s newcomers don't do anything for me.

That aside, I really don't enjoy watching Meele or PM tourney footage compated to Smash 4. They are mostly just endless combos and exploitation of game mechanics and don't look much like battles. In Smash 4 on the other hand, it's always exciting to see someone make a comeback after the opponent has a stock and % lead. Or it often comes down to both combatants have one stock left and very high %; those are usually very tense. I enjoy watching that a lot.

Also, I liked Pichu. A lot.
Agree with both of these. Wolf and Snake were infinitely more interesting than most Sm4sh newcomers IMO

As for the second one, I agree partially. Melee tourney footage is boring to me now because I've been watching it since 09 and it's always characters out of the top 8. Show me a Samus that can place high or something. All I watch these days (in terms of Melee) are the "low tier heroes" like Eddy Mexico and Taj. Or M2K's Mewtwo.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
As in, you'd be able to pick every individual move that the character has.
That'd be amazing.

Now instead of a faithful adaptation or true custom characters, we have three more "Dragon King" fighters with movesets pulled completely out of thin air.
The heck is a Dragon King?

All I want out of the actual Sonic games is another game where you can play as someone besides Sonic, like they did in the SA games. I get so bored with them otherwise.
Sonic Boom?

Maybe people like long, thought-out reads?

Hope I haven't rustled too many jimmies :p this thread is called unpopular opinions for a reason
That is not rustled jimmies. I'm genuinely concerned about annoying other people and seek to avoid such scenarios.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Anyone who says Xenoblade didn't deserve reps.

Watch a playthrough or play the game. That game deserved reps in Brawl because of it

Love,​
People who've actually gave it a chance.​

Last edited:

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
That is not rustled jimmies. I'm genuinely concerned about annoying other people and seek to avoid such scenarios.[/quote]

Oh ok, just don't be like a good portion of the ZSS players in for glory I.e the same annoying bread and butter combo she has with the stun gun and stuff, but then again I don't think for glory is the best way to judge a character

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
The heck is a Dragon King?
Dragon King: The Fighting Game was SSB64's alpha build, before the decision to use Nintendo characters was made. It's commonly believed that :falcon64: is present due to having the same body type as the Dragon King characters and, thus, would have been an easy-to-make texture swap that salvages an original moveset that would've been otherwise lost.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Dragon King: The Fighting Game was SSB64's alpha build, before the decision to use Nintendo characters was made. It's commonly believed that :falcon64: is present due to having the same body type as the Dragon King characters and, thus, would have been an easy-to-make texture swap that salvages an original moveset that would've been otherwise lost.

Oh right, I forgot about that game...

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I've got a few more here:
  • :4lucario: is the new :metaknight:. You'll all see!
  • :4diddy: isn't that bad. Soon the Diddy hype will die down and people will see who the true top tier is... spoilers: it's lucario
  • :4falcon:'s knee and Falcon Punch are highly overrated and overhyped.
  • :4wendy:is best:4bowserjr:alt.
  • :substitute: OP plz nurf.

Last edited:

Akago

Smash Cadet
  • :4lucario: was better in Brawl and PM. All the hype about Aura + Rage stacking making him OP is from people missing how to play against him (even aMSa abandoned him from PM to play Greninja! :yeahboi:)
  • Mewtwo is going to be as terrible as he was in Melee, and people will remember that the only time he's even been good is 3.0 PM
  • :4diddy:is not the top character in Smash 4, and that hype will die down once people learn the percentages and timings of things. Even M2k has said most of his wins are from people not knowing what the heck they are doing against it.
  • Smash 4 is better balanced than Melee; rage however leads to inconsistencies in strengths and weaknesses and jars the Melee community too much.
  • Smash 4 is too defensive and slow in comparison to Melee, but this allows characters that were trench-tier in Melee to flourish since they don't get rambo'd by ultra-sonic characters like Fox.
  • Taking into account the better balance, I still think: Smash 4 has better character diversity at the moment purely because there is no concrete Meta. Within 1 year tournaments will be cut down to 5-6 characters similar to Melee, and not this wide splash of "a bit of everything" we see right now. Only very few people (like aMSa and Eikelmann) give a damn about playing what they like, most people treasure efficiency.
And of course:
  • Coca Cola Zero is better than all the rest.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I was heard that Coke Zero used to annex neighbouring countries and use child labour. Who'd have guessed.
May not have done those things...

I was heard
But it certainly butchered your grammar. :troll:

Roy and Pichu are not worthless additions and I still want them in the new Smash.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey I fixed it before you replied! Can't call me out for that one, temporary lapse in brain power :substitute:
Caused by Coke Zero. :troll:

Young Link is the only veteran I don't really want, but even if he made it in, I'd welcome him. I just want Impa more.

Akago

Smash Cadet
Young Link is the only veteran I don't really want, but even if he made it in, I'd welcome him. I just want Impa more.
Hyrule Warriors Impa and Zhant would be pretty badass to have. I know there was a lot of requests for Ghirahim in the day but I fail to see how he'd be anything other than a Marth or Robin clone.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hyrule Warriors Impa and Zhant would be pretty badass to have. I know there was a lot of requests for Ghirahim in the day but I fail to see how he'd be anything other than a Marth or Robin clone.
Well Ghirahim does have a large amount of teleportation, barrier and knife attacks. Not to mention turning into a sword himself.

I think he's good there personally.

Regardless, I just really want a Zelda newcomer. It' the only one of the big three that didn't get one.

Akago

Smash Cadet
Regardless, I just really want a Zelda newcomer. It' the only one of the big three that didn't get one.
Shy Guy from Mario and Skull Kid from Zelda's Majora's Mask = Best little newcomers. Taking the mantle of the cutest little murder machines in Smash from Killager.

The most important opinion:
  • I'm glad :icsmelee::popo: didn't make it into Smash 4. They are silly 0-Death Chain Grabbing muppets with either Wobble in Melee or do the new Chain Grab in Brawl to ram you into the ground as their primary strategy. Relying entirely on a CPU that can go full derp sometimes just seems silly.

Last edited:

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
:4link: gets to much hate. Everyone always assumes Link players are spammy but really most of the time they are very skilled.

iongammarays

Smash Rookie
NNID
Luckymicah
Bowser is not top tier. He has bad matchups against almost every character with a long-range projectile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom