• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I do not want Wario to receive any moveset changes of any kind, especially a shoulder tackle side special, and a ground pound down air. Wario Bike and his current down air are some of his best moves
I don't think anyone has suggested the ground pound for his down air, that barely makes any sense, it's generally discussed as his down smash, and I wouldn't mind having that replaced since the current one has massive lag. I've seen the butt attack being brought up as a potential down air, and there I definitely agree with you, we don't need a new down air for Wario, it's pretty much his best move.

In general I actually love Wario as he is, sure I like the Wario Land games better than Wario Ware, but for his Smash incarnation I prefer he stays so incredibly odd in his attacks and animations. Is that an unpopular opinion?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't think anyone has suggested the ground pound for his down air, that barely makes any sense, it's generally discussed as his down smash, and I wouldn't mind having that replaced since the current one has massive lag. I've seen the butt attack being brought up as a potential down air, and there I definitely agree with you, we don't need a new down air for Wario, it's pretty much his best move.
I think we're thinking of a different ground pound. You're thinking of the Wario Land Shake It earthquake punch thing, right? I'm was referring to the move that is in most recent Mario games, where the player stops for a second, then falls the ground, hitting the ground with their ***. It's what PM Wario has for his dair. And as for the down smash, I wouldn't mind having that replaced. The current one is only good for taunting anyway.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think we're thinking of a different ground pound. You're thinking of the Wario Land Shake It earthquake punch thing, right? I'm was referring to the move that is in most recent Mario games, where the player stops for a second, then falls the ground, hitting the ground with their ***. It's what PM Wario has for his dair. And as for the down smash, I wouldn't mind having that replaced. The current one is only good for taunting anyway.
Yeah, we're thinking of two different things then, but now I catch it. When I hear ground pound I usually think of the earthquake punch yeah. We do agree on the same thing nonetheless.

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
If snake was cut it would have been communicated to us from the start i mean 3rd party contracts would make them the first to be returning or cut.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Here's one that's sure to be unpopular!

• Whilst I feel sorry for fans of lesser known series; quit ******** when Pokemon and Mario-verse get new representatives.
    They're obviously going to shift more copies than your precious discontinued faded from memory series that you loved so much in your childhood.

• On that same note I think Sakurai actually DOES a very good job in this regard. If I was in the same position I'd be tempted to just shove in the most popular series and ignore the lesser ones. The fact we even get things like Ice Climbers, Fire Emblem(at the time it was obscure), MOTHER, Game and Watch and Kid Icarus(and a revival even!) is impressive.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
FYI, we would have gotten a FE character based on popularity anyways, considering Marth was heavily requested over in Japan.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Here's one that's sure to be unpopular!

• Whilst I feel sorry for fans of lesser known series; quit *****ing when Pokemon and Mario-verse get new representatives.
    They're obviously going to shift more copies than your precious discontinued faded from memory series that you loved so much in your childhood.
I agree for the most part but there's no need to be so condescending about it. >.>

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Not sure how unpopular of an opinion this is but I'll put out my thoughts on how Wario should be in my opinion.

First off, I really disliked the Game & Watch-like movements he had in Brawl. He should have animated smoothly like the rest of the characters. Project M made did a good job on it. He's feels less goofy and more of a powerhouse.

That said, I did not appreciate the removal of the Bike. It is pretty central to his WarioWare incarnation, and it should be kept. Similarly, the Shoulder Bash is one of most iconic moves in Wario Land, and should be another of his specials, or his dash attack (as that's what is works like in Wario Land.) I'd advocate removing the Chomp, as it was drawn out of nowhere.

I'm not that sure about Ground Pound as Yoshi and Bowser already have a similar move, but it's a better choice for a down aerial than the headplant.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
The redesigned items are lame, I liked the generic looking baseball bat and the old assist trophy better then the new designs.
Also, I always disliked how assist trophies worked, with how you have to sit still for a second to activate them instead of throwing them like a Poké Ball, and how you're limited to having one at a time. I was kinda expecting it to be like a Poké Ball for characters other then Pokémon back before Brawl came out, and I never really got over it for some reason.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
I am happy that there are no techniques like wave dashing in smash 4. I don't see a point in including it. It makes the game look glitchy and very unpolished. We don't need ridiculous amounts of advanced techniques to make the game competitive.

I'd prefer that there were no third parties in smash bros at all. I still like the 3rd parties though but smash should just be for nintendo characters.

I actually don't mind the Final Destination stages Sakurai made for glory mode.

I'm willing to try custom movesets but I feel they won't see much more gameplay then custom brawl mode did where you can play matches like giant, invisible, metal, fast brawl with low gravity.

I thought Palutena was a great choice for a newcomer but her trailer was so incredibly lame. The cheesy anime fight with Link and Pit took up half of it and we saw Palutena show off 20 moves one by one with no real combat. Not even sure if some of those were custom moves or not. It was pretty annoying to watch. I was hoping for something like Greninja's trailer which is by far the most exciting to watch out of all the newcomers. It's cinematic cutscenes were gorgeous and the gameplay shown was fun to watch and flowed well with the music. Palutena's trailer was just her yelling out all the names of her moves like a ****ing Digimon.

I don't think a 3DS smash should have ever been made. The comfort in the controls are going to be its biggest downfall. Not saying the game is going to be bad as I'm still going to get it because it's smash bros, but the Wii U version will feel far better. 3DS fights will never have the same level of intensity and fun as the smash bros for the console. The time and money spent developing on the 3DS version should've been used towards the wii U version.

Also.
Ironically the news we got in April along with Greninja's trailer were overall more exciting then the news we got at E3.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
The cheesy anime fight with Link and Pit took up half of it and we saw Palutena show off 20 moves one by one with no real combat.
That was my biggest problem with the trailer, at least we got to see pretty much everyone else actually doing something.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Also.
Ironically the news we got in April along with Greninja's trailer were overall more exciting then the news we got at E3.
I agree with this full heartedly. Aside from a handful of people butthurt about Greninja/Ridley, this place just exploded with excitement over the Direct. For E3, it was a lot different. Mii and Pac-Man have just as many people who hate them as they do like them and there were a lot of little disappointments that came up from people finally getting the game in their hands. This isn't to say that the E3 presentation wasn't good (in fact, as a whole, it was the best one Nintendo gave in a decade), it just didn't match up to the sheer amount of hype that the Direct brought to these boards.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Yeah I agree, the Direct was definitely the most exciting out of the two. I mostly reacted with an "Okay, cool" for most of the reveals at E3, but I was stoked out of my mind for the Direct.

mariop476

Smash Rookie
Because I'm such a complainer, I think I have another unpopular opinion.

I really dislike the new Home Run bat design. I thought it was supposed to be an Earthbound item, but it most certainly doesn't look like one now.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
It's pretty popular for people to want Lucas gone, mostly because they think he's "unnecessary." I mean sure, he's a semi-clone of Ness but come on, he feels and plays so well.

People want at least Falco or Wolf gone, I'm not sure how popular it is for Wolf but people tend to like his differentiated moveset and Falco's closeness to Fox's moveset and because they like him in general, at least from what I've seen. Which is totally weird, because I thought people would want Wolf to stay because he's an antagonist/rival to Fox and has more differentiated moves.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's pretty popular for people to want Lucas gone, mostly because they think he's "unnecessary." I mean sure, he's a semi-clone of Ness but come on, he feels and plays so well.

People want at least Falco or Wolf gone, I'm not sure how popular it is for Wolf but people tend to like his differentiated moveset and Falco's closeness to Fox's moveset, at least from what I've seen.
I think it's more that people expect him to leave, as literally every single "leak" ever says "Lucas is cut" or "Lucas may be cut." As most of these turn out to be false, and with Gematsu's vague wording, I still think Lucas is in the game.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
I think it's more that people expect him to leave, as literally every single "leak" ever says "Lucas is cut" or "Lucas may be cut." As most of these turn out to be false, and with Gematsu's vague wording, I still think Lucas is in the game.
That too, I think that definitely factors into people's opinions on the matter. Freaking fake leaks man.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'd be completely fine it we lost Falco, Lucas, and Jigglypuff.

If we had to keep one I'd rather it be Lucas and the other two get cut as neither deserve to be in Smash Brothers.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord

People want at least Falco or Wolf gone, I'm not sure how popular it is for Wolf but people tend to like his differentiated moveset and Falco's closeness to Fox's moveset and because they like him in general, at least from what I've seen. Which is totally weird, because I thought people would want Wolf to stay because he's an antagonist/rival to Fox and has more differentiated moves.
Yeah I don't want either cut, they're both incredibly unique clones.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
I am eagerly awaiting the return of the Chronicle. No doubt I'm way more excited for everything else in the game, but I hope and expect this completely unnecessary feature to make a reappearance.

Zango

Smash Apprentice
I've played since Melee, and I certainly played it alot as kid.

But, going from Melee to Brawl, I decided to try the Wii-chuck.

I still prefer it over the Gamecube controller.

Last edited:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
- I can't see how people could possibly want any non-clone characters to get cut. Pretty much all characters are either unique, iconic or at least getting luigified. The second a character gets added to Smash Bros, he's also a Smash Bros. Character to me and thus automatically 'deserves' the spot because the team knows how to make him a worthy addition to the roster.

- I don't believe in Ridley solely to avoid disappointment. But not adding him and teasing him like that would really be an incredibly ****ty move by Marblemover Supersauce.

- I always hated Melee's unnecessarily annoying ledge mechanics and it's one gameplay part that becomes better from game to game imho.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I hate people who support newcomers, yet never played the newcomer's franchise ever.
This was exactly why I was iffy about Pac-Man - a lot of people seemed to only want him "because Namco". Many of them didn't actually care about the character. And beyond his design, there never has been much reason to appreciate him as more than a soulless mascot as opposed to an actual character - Mario, Sonic, and Mega Man are all mascots too, obviously, but despite the former not being a very well developed character, he at least has a very lovable voice behind him that people find charming and know very well. And the latter two are actually extremely deep characters who have been in a lot of stories and have had a lot of character development in many different continuities, while also being extremely charming and appealing to the eye - when people asked for Sonic and Mega Man, it was because they genuinely loved those characters, which I have literally only seen ONE person do with Pac-Man.

I never really had a problem with Pac-Man, and I really appreciate what Sakurai has done with him (it's by far the most appealing interpretation of the character yet), but I hated that reasoning for wanting him that people would often use.

---------------------

I really hate when people get antsy about when some people have a certain infatuation with a character, or put them down for it. Whether it's finding a character sexually appealing and wanting to talk about that in the lightest of extents (like, obviously it's not OK to post NSFW pictures or to start talking about something extremely explicit - I just mean when people say things as simple as "Palutena looks pretty sexy" or "Rosalina has nice butt", and get told "UR BEIN CREEPY AND PERVY STAHP"), or being interested in shipping, people who might talk about something like that tend to get frowned upon for being creepy. Expressing just a very simple comment like that is not creepy in the slightest, and considering the age rating of the Smash series and considering official content in the games and their trailers, it's perfectly appropriate for the audience who would play the games, and is outright approved by the creators. If you're personally uncomfortable with people saying stuff like that, don't frown upon it or discourage topics such as @8-bit Man 's "How beautiful is such and such a character on a scale of 1 to 10" topics, especially since topics like that aren't specifically about expressing sexuality, and merely pertain to the aesthetic appeal of the characters as a whole, and not just particular parts of them. Just avoid those topics if you're uncomfortable, they are pretty clear on what they are, so you shouldn't ever have to visit them once you read the title and you don't click with it.

I also don't get why "fan service" of that slightly more sexual nature is frowned upon when this game is all about fan service to begin with. Like, so what if Palutena has a close-up of her assets in her trailer? The game is 12+. It's age appropriate, and simply throws a bone towards people who like Palutena in that sense. As long as those people keep it clean here, they shouldn't be frowned up for being comfortable with their sexuality and sexual interest in a fictional character (and if you still think being interested in a fictional character like that is weird and low, then you should live a little, because it's extremely common).

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
What do you mean by lets plays?
Simply video series' on YouTube or whatever that show a game from beginning to end, or something similar. Some people view them when they can't access a game themselves, and may come to love the characters in a game from just watching footage of it.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I think Koopa means watching LPs as opposed to playing the game directly, especially in the case of games you'll likely never find for a reasonable price (Xenoblade) or genres you're not all that interested in, but want to learn more about the character(s) coming in Smash.

Edit: One of these days I'm going to learn to write a short explanation and not be ninja'd. Basically what @ ChikoLad ChikoLad said.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Simply video series' on YouTube or whatever that show a game from beginning to end, or something similar. Some people view them when they can't access a game themselves, and may come to love the characters in a game from just watching footage of it.
Well this is in terms of Smash speculation, with unnannounced newcomers.
Some people diss off certain newcomers even after their reveal trailer.

Morbi

Scavenger
I believe that R.O.B. and Game & Watch should be removed from the character roster and demoted to assist trophies because I do not personally like them. Sorry that I cannot jump on the self-righteous bandwagon and pretend that they are unique characters despite the notion that they are more bland, generic, and uninspired than Ryu-Mario. Sure Game & Watch is 2D and R.O.B. "saved" gaming; however, that does not necessitate their roles on the roster. Lets be serious, the fact that they are veterans is why everyone and their grandmothers second cat want them on the roster. #UnpopularFACT

D

Deleted member

I think off the wall, unexpected characters are better than "fan favorites," such as Ridley or K. Rool. Just my personal preference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morbi

Scavenger
The exact opposite of the above; I think off the wall, unexpected characters are better than "fan favorites," such as Ridley or K. Rool. Just my personal preference.
Just to clarify; I do not mind them in the game, it is their role that bothers me. Secondly, I did not assert that any and all "unexpected characters" were bad. I actually enjoy characters like Ice Climbers or Wii Fit Trainer, and in the event that the Gematsu leak is objectively true, I am sure that I would welcome him/them (Chorus Men) with open arms. My personal vendetta is against R.O.B. and Game & Watch alone. More specifically R.O.B. because Game & Watch at the very least has the 2D gimmick. Lastly, I did not assert that "fan favorites" were better than unexpected characters either.

I am not sure if that is just poor diction on your part "the exact opposite of the above." Or if you actually thought that I believed the opposite of you (which is not the case). Again, this is not an argument, I am just elaborating. Please don't mod me, bro! :urg:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom