• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

The Incinerator

Smash Cadet
New ground side B:

It is easier to punish since it has higher start up and he doesn't goes that far, but it can be used for combo set ups now instead of just a way to quickly go into the air or get away from opponent. And i finally found a way to get rid of those gifs' framerate issues, so, now they look better.
If I might make one suggestion, I like the new attack but would it be possible for him to step back further when he gets into his ready stance before the attack. I don't know if this would mess up timings or such but I just think that with his one foot further back it would look more like he's getting ready to jump into the attack instead of just leaning back quickly. Just a suggestion, I am really liking the way this is all turning out so far!

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman

For anyone interested in revolutionary Ridley tech, here's the Massive Ordnance Dwarf Ridley Temple Launch.

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
New ground side B:

It is easier to punish since it has higher start up and he doesn't goes that far, but it can be used for combo set ups now instead of just a way to quickly go into the air or get away from opponent. And i finally found a way to get rid of those gifs' framerate issues, so, now they look better.
Dragon Rush? Awesome I always wanted Ridley has a pokemon! :troll:

But seriously this is awesome glad that Rids came back down from earth to show us his moves.

Hey I been wondering can you post a picture of this ridley compared to the other large characters, I know he's small then Bowser but I would like to see a picture like that, if your not to busy that is.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
This should suffice.

He might be more slender but because of his tail he looks larger than Bowser, actually. (at least imo)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
If I might make one suggestion, I like the new attack but would it be possible for him to step back further when he gets into his ready stance before the attack. I don't know if this would mess up timings or such but I just think that with his one foot further back it would look more like he's getting ready to jump into the attack instead of just leaning back quickly. Just a suggestion, I am really liking the way this is all turning out so far!
It is pose he takes before charging at player in Metroid Prime, except with animated wings. So, its more of a reference or something than just choice.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Don't just make 100% animation references. People will still get that it's the charge move from Prime.

Right now, it doesn't look like he has enough lift off or whatever. It looks like he'll only move a few inches as opposed to diving forward.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Don't just make 100% animation references. People will still get that it's the charge move from Prime.

Right now, it doesn't look like he has enough lift off or whatever. It looks like he'll only move a few inches as opposed to diving forward.
I guess you're right. Will fix that.

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Amazing progress BaganSmashBros! As for the new Ground Side B, The Incinerator's post has brought up an interesting detail:

would it be possible for him to step back further when he gets into his ready stance before the attack.
I think this has potential in the sense that, what if Ridley took a step back JUST enough to dodge attacks? Imagine a Jigglypuff player jumping towards you to hit you on the head with Air Side A, or other characters trying to hit you from above. If Ridley's Ground Side B made him back up to successfully dodge short range attacks and immediately punish the enemy with the new dash attack... can it potentially add more mindgames?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Amazing progress BaganSmashBros! As for the new Ground Side B, The Incinerator's post has brought up an interesting detail:

I think this has potential in the sense that, what if Ridley took a step back JUST enough to dodge attacks? Imagine a Jigglypuff player jumping towards you to hit you on the head with Air Side A, or other characters trying to hit you from above. If Ridley's Ground Side B made him back up to successfully dodge short range attacks and immediately punish the enemy with the new dash attack... can it potentially add more mindgames?
I will try, but im not sure if it will work with current start up time. It already is possible with aerial version, but here is barely any start up on that one.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
I will try, but im not sure if it will work with current start up time. It already is possible with aerial version, but here is barely any start up on that one.
If you find the time to change the animation of him backing up before dashing, you could also make him lift his right arm over his face, exactly like he used to do in Metroid Prime 1's Gamecube version (before Nintendo decided to tone down the difficulty in later versions by keeping his arms away from his face). I feel that animation is ideal, since he is essentially trying to avoid damage before counter attacking, and people would recognize that stance alot more than his ''please shoot me in the face'' animation from the Wii version.

His original stance before dashing can be seen here, at 8:41.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qyn057x8r0

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
If you find the time to change the animation of him backing up before dashing, you could also make him lift his right arm over his face, exactly like he used to do in Metroid Prime 1's Gamecube version (before Nintendo decided to tone down the difficulty in later versions by keeping his arms away from his face). I feel that animation is ideal, since he is essentially trying to avoid damage before counter attacking, and people would recognize that stance alot more than his ''please shoot me in the face'' animation from the Wii version.

His original stance before dashing can be seen here, at 8:41.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qyn057x8r0
Didn't know about that. It looks more like what i originally made it to be before rewatching video that had toned down version. Thanks for telling me that.

ventus140

Smash Rookie
Hey @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros , incase your thinking about a final smash, can ridley transform into meta ridley? If ridley's final smash is already confirmed then nevermind,XD!! VERY GOOD JOB WITH THIS RIDLEY MODEL BAGANSMASHBROS, I TRULY HOPE SAKURAI WILL CHANGE HIS MIND AND ADD RIDLEY TO THE ROSTER FOR SMASH BROS WII U!!!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hey @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros , incase your thinking about a final smash, can ridley transform into meta ridley? If ridley's final smash is already confirmed then nevermind,XD!! VERY GOOD JOB WITH THIS RIDLEY MODEL BAGANSMASHBROS, I TRULY HOPE SAKURAI WILL CHANGE HIS MIND AND ADD RIDLEY TO THE ROSTER FOR SMASH BROS WII U!!!
It is impossible to do without using Bowser or Wario as a base, but those most likely have horrible file size limits. Either way, final smash already was confirmed and its something Ridley actually used instead of something that would require a severe damage to Ridley's body, a group of scientists, cybernetic replacements added through painful surgery and a lot of time. Here:

Some of the animations are going to be...weird, like sleeping animations:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Only 59 animations left (7 swimming animations and 52 item animations). Considering how quickly i finished making 52 get hit animations (3-4 days), it won't take too long and most of those don't require much effort.

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
When a fan-made Ridley in a fan-made modification to an older game in the series looks much better than an official NPC Ridley in the current game in the series, you know Nintendo/Sakurai probably did not really care much for Ridley in the first place.

I am looking forward to this Ridley. I'm one of those who supported Ridley's inclusion since before Brawl, and having played Project M for the first time about a week ago, I intend to get this when I find a secondhand Wii and a copy of Brawl. Keep up the outstanding work!

Dos efes

Smash Cadet
Only 59 animations left (7 swimming animations and 52 item animations). Considering how quickly i finished making 52 get hit animations (3-4 days), it won't take too long and most of those don't require much effort.
Will you release right after that, or you will you take some time to fine tune it, as in animations or balancing? However you do it, thanks for the effort. This looks nothing short of professional.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
When a fan-made Ridley in a fan-made modification to an older game in the series looks much better than an official NPC Ridley in the current game in the series, you know Nintendo/Sakurai probably did not really care much for Ridley in the first place.

I am looking forward to this Ridley. I'm one of those who supported Ridley's inclusion since before Brawl, and having played Project M for the first time about a week ago, I intend to get this when I find a secondhand Wii and a copy of Brawl. Keep up the outstanding work!
Well, to be honest, he looked better in Other M than in SSB4 too. Just compare this to image you posted. Even with that duck beak, he looks threatening and ready to rip Samus apart. His textures are bright like SSB4 textures and even then can look dark thanks to lightning settings on the stage...Just what happened? Oh, and that ORDLY image was made by me few hours after we've got first screenshots of this piece of s**t.
Will you release right after that, or you will you take some time to fine tune it, as in animations or balancing? However you do it, thanks for the effort. This looks nothing short of professional.
I will release it once i will test everything. It will be first release and will be updated until it will require nothing important (like a minor animation revamp to fix clipping issues) to be done.

Last edited:

ventus140

Smash Rookie
@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros i had no idea ridley already had a final smash already. Very good with all the animations for ridley dude. I hope project m will make ridley official with your work. I really hope project m hires you to be on their team, or maybe.................your working for project m secretly?XD Im very excited for the work you put into this PSA ridley. I MEAN RIDLEY LOOKS VERY TOUGH AND COOL WITH HIS "COME AND GET SOME" TAUNT ANIMATION!!!!! OMG, I really hope project m hires you and hopefully, and maybe....... sakurai may add ridley himself. Too bad nintendo shut down wifi on the nintendo wii for project m. That's mainly why i don't play project m anymore, the wifi is shutdown for nintendo wii. I will definitely download this RIDLEY PSA ONCE ITS RELEASED,and hopefully project m does something for the wifi. BaganSmashbros,KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK FOR THIS PSA!! YOUR SHOWING EVERYONE RIDLEY DESERVES TO BE IN SMASH BROS!!! I was really disappointed when sakurai said ridley is too big, and shrinking him down would ruin his character. From what i see in your work BaganSmash bros, RIDLEY LOOKS FREAKIN EPIC WITH HIS SIZE!!! LET THIS YEAR BE A RIDLEY, A RIDLEY BIG YEAR FOR RIDLEY:) GO BAGANSMASHBROS!!!!!!!!!!!"

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Design wise and implementation yes. But as far as what mechanics were integrated no. Some care was put into Ridley but not enough to be true to source material. Although like with the other stage bosses I think they were sloppily put together.

Found new Ridley tech. HYPE.
Are you making a statement or are we supposed to be seeing something?

Last edited:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Are you making a statement or are we supposed to be seeing something?
It has been a while since I found some actual Ridley-specific tech, so I was excited, lol. But I actually made a video now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EogoC9nCawE&feature=youtu.be

Here some of my first attempts after figuring the inputs out, it works with all aerials by the way, although dair is harder because of relatively strict L-cancel timing. (or perhaps it's just a little bit unintuitive)

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Found new Ridley tech. HYPE.
It has been a while since I found some actual Ridley-specific tech, so I was excited, lol. But I actually made a video now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EogoC9nCawE&feature=youtu.be

Here some of my first attempts after figuring the inputs out, it works with all aerials by the way, although dair is harder because of relatively strict L-cancel timing. (or perhaps it's just a little bit unintuitive)
Nice wavelanding.

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
You've managed to fit Ridley's giant ass into P:M, i'm really impressed. Can't wait until its finished.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
It is impossible to do without using Bowser or Wario as a base, but those most likely have horrible file size limits.
It is possible to do it without Bowser or Wario as bases.

That being said, you might not have enough file size left over.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
It is possible to do it without Bowser or Wario as bases.

That being said, you might not have enough file size left over.
Didn't know about that. But i certainly won't have enough file size if it is done in the way i think it is done (somehow turning off all polygons of normal Ridley and enabling Meta Ridley's on the same model). If it is done in a different way, then maybe i have enough.

Last edited:

The Incinerator

Smash Cadet
Thanks for considering and actually implementing my suggestions, my intent was not to be overly critical as I love the fact that all the moves are references to past games and I thought that was probably the case with this. Also I find that sleeping animation quite amusing. I can't wait till this mod is complete and I can test it first hand!

latinking

Smash Apprentice
All attacks are finished then. Excellent. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. The original Neutral B attack, the 5 horizontal fireballs, is unavailable due to a bug that crashes the game, and it is currently replaced by the short ranged flamethrower attack. The Wall of fireballs I had suggested earlier, which would have potentially been Neutral B's alternate input (by charging B or pressing A), I assume it was dropped due to the same bug that crashes the normal input. My suggestion was to give it similar mechanics to Urien's Aegis Reflector (slow moving barrier that limits opponent's movement to set up mindgames).

If you ever manage to remove the bug, will you be keeping the short ranged flamethrower as Neutral B's alternate input, or will you attempt to implement the Aegis Firewall? I'm simply curious to know what to expect in the future. If you are content with the short ranged flamethrower, it's all good. The Firewall was just another one of my ideas of implementing into your mod at least 1 attack from every Ridley battle in the Metroid series. Zero Mission Ridley didn't have anything unique except for his shotgun fireball blast (though instead of having his shots spread out with distance, your mod would have kept his fireballs close to each other, forming the slow-moving barrier).

2. The new Ground Side B, does it remove the Massive Ordinance Dwarf Ridley Temple Launch glitch that occurred with the previous Ground Side B? Or does the glitch always happen no matter what attack you implement into Side B, until you find out the cause behind it?

3. May we see the new Down Smash? Even though you didn't choose my favorite of the two ideas I had suggested (Omega Ridley's tail swipe + flamethrower spin), I am nevertheless anxious to see in action the one you chose (Meta Ridley's peek-a-boo tail swipe) :).

4. Seeing as how Warzenschwein is posting previews of your mod, I assume he'll be making the final showcase video? And the glitch with Mario being stuck inside Ridley, is it fixable?

That's all my questions. Good luck on the following days!

Top Bottom