• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
2nd victory pose done:
http://www.4shared.com/video/jTfZgZMIba/bandicam_2015-01-07_21-43-36-5.html
And it is very heavy in terms of file size and that must be fixed as soon as possible. Glass scrapping GFX is done like that because Ridley's claws slide off few times while going down. Also, for some reason, game crashes on 2nd match or its results screen at least when tested on emulator. May have something to do with file size limits again.
Nice, although the jump into the background doesn't look very natural without some kind of flip imho.

McMarth

Smash Cadet
Love the new taunt!
2nd victory pose done:
And it is very heavy in terms of file size and that must be fixed as soon as possible. Glass scrapping GFX is done like that because Ridley's claws slide off few times while going down. Also, for some reason, game crashes on 2nd match or its results screen at least when tested on emulator. May have something to do with file size limits again.
Love the new taunt! Quality work yet again.

My only suggestion would be for Ridley to wait a moment longer before jumping up. I understand that this is probably not possible, due to it already likely taking up too much file space, but I feel like it would be easier to follow that way.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Love the new taunt! Quality work yet again.

My only suggestion would be for Ridley to wait a moment longer before jumping up. I understand that this is probably not possible, due to it already likely taking up too much file space, but I feel like it would be easier to follow that way.
I think so too because victory fanfare goes for a lot longer than you can really see him.
Nice, although the jump into the background doesn't look very natural without some kind of flip imho.
Will try to fix that and reduce file size along with it.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
2nd victory pose done:
Is this with the port or with Ridley directly over Pit?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Is this with the port or with Ridley directly over Pit?
Over Pit. I will focus on it first and get everything working, then work on port you made.
Tears of joy were shed.
Then too bad i have to completly remake it because it takes too much space (as much as 3 complex animations would and by complex, i mean like first victory animation or any of the throws) just because of BrawlBox messing it up with no way to permanently fix it...I will try to keep the way he is animated, but it probably won't look as good.

Also, crowd chant is ready, but the only thing that anyone can understand that it is obviously not humans or even something close rooting for Ridley. Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4lp0obkjvl2web/RIDLEY.wav?dl=0 That the only thing i can use other than just nothing, Zebesians roaring (they can't talk in Other M unlike Space Pirates in Metroid Prime unfortunately) or 'Pit! *clap*". Those who played Metroid Prime will recognize voices of this crowd. This one kinda makes sense since Ridley is certainly not someone a sane person would be rooting for considering what he did and what he still does. At least Ganondorf has magic (crowd doesn't sounds normal in Melee when he is in the lead, so...) and Bowser is respected by his minions and just not as bad as he may look.

Last edited:

xXEnderSeanXx

Smash Rookie
Wow... I can't wait for this! I'll be sure to download it as quick as possible once released. I've got very high hopes for this mod. :chuckle:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Over Pit. I will focus on it first and get everything working, then work on port you made.

Then too bad i have to completly remake it because it takes too much space (as much as 3 complex animations would and by complex, i mean like first victory animation or any of the throws) just because of BrawlBox messing it up with no way to permanently fix it...I will try to keep the way he is animated, but it probably won't look as good.

Also, crowd chant is ready, but the only thing that anyone can understand that it is obviously not humans or even something close rooting for Ridley. Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4lp0obkjvl2web/RIDLEY.wav?dl=0 That the only thing i can use other than just nothing, Zebesians roaring (they can't talk in Other M unlike Space Pirates in Metroid Prime unfortunately) or 'Pit! *clap*". Those who played Metroid Prime will recognize voices of this crowd. This one kinda makes sense since Ridley is certainly not someone a sane person would be rooting for considering what he did and what he still does. At least Ganondorf has magic (crowd doesn't sounds normal when he is in the lead, so...) and Bowser is respected by his minions and just not as bad as he may look.
Ok, I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a module-related glitch that I'd need to fix. It's unfortunate that you have to redo the animation, but I'm sure that you'll do an awesome job with the remade version.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ok, I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a module-related glitch that I'd need to fix. It's unfortunate that you have to redo the animation, but I'm sure that you'll do an awesome job with the remade version.
Better get full list of those (if there are any) in shorter amount of time i guess.
Hey, a percentage increase! This mod still looks amazing, any chance we'll get an updated showcase video for him showing the new changes?
Only after get hit and ledge animations will be done along with taunts and victory animations.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Can you save space on animation by getting rid of Ridley's entire background animation?

What I mean is, instead of animating Ridley flying towards the back and staying onscreen in the background flapping his wings for a few seconds, couldn't you simply make him fly straight up till he's completely offscreen after he scratches the capsule? While he's offscreen, you don't have to worry about doing any animation whatsoever, and just ''drag'' or ''push'' his model towards the background, while he's out of sight. And then, as soon as possible, you make Ridley fly back down towards the screen? Thus, you give the illusion he did a quick backflip, despite having done no such animation.

Earlier you agreed with McMarth about extending Ridley's ''screentime'' because the victory song goes on much longer than he stays. I think you should do the opposite (hence, my suggestion on skipping his background animation). One of Mewtwo's win poses has him teleporting out of sight in a second, almost immediately when we enter the victory screen, and his song keeps playing for a little while. I'm not saying you should make Ridley's pose as short as Mewtwo's, just that having a short and sweet victory pose is not a bad deal :). Good luck.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Can you save space on animation by getting rid of Ridley's entire background animation?

What I mean is, instead of animating Ridley flying towards the back and staying onscreen in the background flapping his wings for a few seconds, couldn't you simply make him fly straight up till he's completely offscreen after he scratches the capsule? While he's offscreen, you don't have to worry about doing any animation whatsoever, and just ''drag'' or ''push'' his model towards the background, while he's out of sight. And then, as soon as possible, you make Ridley fly back down towards the screen? Thus, you give the illusion he did a quick backflip, despite having done no such animation.

Earlier you agreed with McMarth about extending Ridley's ''screentime'' because the victory song goes on much longer than he stays. I think you should do the opposite (hence, my suggestion on skipping his background animation). One of Mewtwo's win poses has him teleporting out of sight in a second, almost immediately when we enter the victory screen, and his song keeps playing for a little while. I'm not saying you should make Ridley's pose as short as Mewtwo's, just that having a short and sweet victory pose is not a bad deal :). Good luck.
Filesize went through the roof even when i cut everything after Ridley prepares to jump, so, it won't help much. That will help while remaking animation though. Thanks for suggestion. I will try to increase time he spents before flying then.

pegguinni128

Smash Cadet
NNID
pegg128
Man, you must have put a lot of effort into this mod! The specials aren't exactly what I imagined, though.
Neutral Special is good.
Side B is good, too.
I thought his down B could be the Pogo Tail/Tail Grind
And His Up B could basically be ROB's recovery, but is a lot shorter and does damage, and not as short as :4charizard:'s.
The 50% showcase also looks a bit unpolished, especially the smash attacks. Hopefully this is more fluid in the final version.
Anyways, I thought of some names for the moves you already came up with.
:GCB:: Norfair's Flames
:GCD::GCB:: Space Pirate Aura
:GCR::GCB:: Command Dash
:GCU::GCB:: Zebesian Swoop
Thank you.
Thank you.
THANK YOU.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR DOING THIS!!!

latinking

Smash Apprentice
And His Up B could basically be ROB's recovery, but is a lot shorter and does damage, and not as short as :4charizard:'s.
The 50% showcase also looks a bit unpolished, especially the smash attacks. Hopefully this is more fluid in the final version.
The Pogo Tail is going to be his Mid-air Down A. From the way its programmed, you could get several consecutive hits in if timed well, just like Ridley does in Metroid.
And yes, the 50% showcase video is, by now, quite outdated. Most of the gifs and still images are recent progress, and they use a different model of Ridley (slightly smaller height and shorter tail).

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Man, you must have put a lot of effort into this mod! The specials aren't exactly what I imagined, though.
Neutral Special is good.
Side B is good, too.
:GCB:: Norfair's Flames
:GCD::GCB:: Space Pirate Aura
:GCR::GCB:: Command Dash
:GCU::GCB:: Zebesian Swoop
Thank you.
Thank you.
THANK YOU.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR DOING THIS!!!
Current Down B is a lot more useful because it allows Ridley to easily go through attacks of fast characters and any kind of projectiles that can be reflected while still being able to move around and attack and Pogo Tail better works the way it is now.
Because of the way i recorded that, there were framerate issues and at that time, Ridley had few bugs and glitches and his legs messed up animations because of the code that was required to avoid uncontrollable shaking that happened when Ridley moved anyhow and even when he didn't moved.
Neutral B isn't that flamethrower attack by default (fireballs are the default version) and Down B's name sounds kinda wrong (its only Ridley who can use it). Other than that, its fine, but there are "official" names for them already.

xXEnderSeanXx

Smash Rookie
The Project M team better add this into the actual game so we don't have to lose Pit. That, and may I say once again, THIS LOOKS AMAZING.

invisibleman

Smash Apprentice
also is this gonna be easy to install? pretty new to this hacking thing. Got homebrew and project M. Took me a month to figure it out though.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Current Down B is a lot more useful because it allows Ridley to easily go through attacks of fast characters and any kind of projectiles that can be reflected while still being able to move around and attack and Pogo Tail better works the way it is now.
Speaking of Down B, did you finish his Aerial Down B? Is he simply going to stay in the air as he transforms? Or is he going to transform as he's falling? Because of Other M, I always imagined that this ability required a strong focus on Ridley's end to activate it, thus why he needed to get on all fours on the ground in order to maintain his composure. Your Ridley mod supports this idea by having a long start up animation as well. I personally have a hard time imagining Ridley getting his Varia Skin in mid-air...

If you haven't yet started to work on his Aerial Down B, would it be possible to give it a different aspect altogether? Kinda like how his Aerial Side B is different from his ground Side B? Seeing as how Ridley in Other M needs to hold himself steady on solid ground to transform, what if his Aerial Down B helped him reach the floor A LOT faster? Faster than anything else the player could do to get Ridley to land?

When he lands from Aerial Down B, Ridley could create a small shockwave around him that hits and launches nearby players to the sides. After the shockwave, if the player is still pressing Down B, only then will Ridley start to activate Ground Down B's Varia Skin animation. The shockwave attack would have decent launch power, in order to sufficiently push opponents sideways so that Ridley can have no one hurting him during Varia Skin activation. If opponents were able to dodge the shockwave, the player could avoid activating Ground Down B by simply letting go of the buttons, but if he/she is too slow to let them go, they will start the animation.

Seeing as how you've finished most of his moveset, this is pretty much the last opportunity I see on getting Ridley's Prime 1 and 3 stomp in the mod.

Last edited:

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
A strange problem I just thought of, what about Kirby's Ridley hat? I'm not sure if you'd have to be the one to program this or someone else would, but I just got the thought of "What if Kirby tried sucking Ridley up? Would it crash the game?".

Obviously everything with Ridley should come first, but just something I thought I should bring up.

In terms of design something like this looks interesting, but wouldn't exactly match Other M Ridley (not that the Kirby hats always match the correct iteration of the character, look at Zelda Kirby).

Last edited:

ImperfectionistHippie

Smash Rookie
A strange problem I just thought of, what about Kirby's Ridley hat? I'm not sure if you'd have to be the one to program this or someone else would, but I just got the thought of "What if Kirby tried sucking Ridley up? Would it crash the game?".

Obviously everything with Ridley should come first, but just something I thought I should bring up.

In terms of design something like this looks interesting, but wouldn't exactly match Other M Ridley (not that the Kirby hats always match the correct iteration of the character, look at Zelda Kirby).
Anyone with more knowledge on this feel free to correct me, but I think it'd just probably just give Kirby the power of the character Ridley goes over

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

It will not crash no matter how much opponent was changed because Kirby's copied version is in his files and not opponent's and have their own articles and settings. Until fireballs will be fixed, i will make Kirby use only firebreath version.
also is this gonna be easy to install? pretty new to this hacking thing. Got homebrew and project M. Took me a month to figure it out though.
Yes. Hardest part will be replacing textures for CSPs, CSSs and stocks in common5.pac file. Everything else will be put in the pack in such way you won't need to look up where certain files need to go.
Gosh so epic! Please do a playable Mother Brain or Kraid next x)
Those are impossible to make until good Mother Brain or Kraid model will be made and there are none and its gonna be hard to come up with a moveset for both of them.
Speaking of Down B, did you finish his Aerial Down B? Is he simply going to stay in the air as he transforms? Or is he going to transform as he's falling? Because of Other M, I always imagined that this ability required a strong focus on Ridley's end to activate it, thus why he needed to get on all fours on the ground in order to maintain his composure. Your Ridley mod supports this idea by having a long start up animation as well. I personally have a hard time imagining Ridley getting his Varia Skin in mid-air...

If you haven't yet started to work on his Aerial Down B, would it be possible to give it a different aspect altogether? Kinda like how his Aerial Side B is different from his ground Side B? Seeing as how Ridley in Other M needs to hold himself steady on solid ground to transform, what if his Aerial Down B helped him reach the floor A LOT faster? Faster than anything else the player could do to get Ridley to land?

When he lands from Aerial Down B, Ridley could create a small shockwave around him that hits and launches nearby players to the sides. After the shockwave, if the player is still pressing Down B, only then will Ridley start to activate Ground Down B's Varia Skin animation. The shockwave attack would have decent launch power, in order to sufficiently push opponents sideways so that Ridley can have no one hurting him during Varia Skin activation. If opponents were able to dodge the shockwave, the player could avoid activating Ground Down B by simply letting go of the buttons, but if he/she is too slow to let them go, they will start the animation.

Seeing as how you've finished most of his moveset, this is pretty much the last opportunity I see on getting Ridley's Prime 1 and 3 stomp in the mod.
I haven't made aerial version yet (but oddly, there are animations for that in Ridley's Other M files). I can just port old aerial Down B (i keep cut animations and coding just in case i will need those) and change some hitbox attributes to be different from other specials like that like you said. I won't link it to ground version anyhow.

Small update - 2nd win animation is remade (now its a lot smaller in size and before Ridley goes off-screen, he is in the exact same pose as when he escapes Ceres after fight), 3rd win animation is nearly done, buffed FAir and i found out that Ridley can perform Wall of Pain and does it better than Jigglypuff (it has more range and knockback and Ridley himself has higher air mobility):

I successfuly performed it during a test match against Samus and Mario and it is easier with heavy-middleweight characters than lightweight characters because of the knockback.

Also, i has been trying to do something interesting for this mod - basically giving him aerial version of DK's FThrow based off Ridley's old version of wall scrape grab in Other M. What am i talking about? As most likely none of you, Ridley was originally going to hold Samus like he did in adolescent form after scrapping her along the wall and whipping/impaling her with his tail and either it was scrapped before all animations were done or it was impossible to escape his grasp without taking damage since he would sometimes headbutt her if hit and knock her out of his hands. Anyway, i made all animations for it (tail whip, just flying, opponent escaping this grab and Ridley shooting a fireball like he does in current version of FThrow), but since i don't know what is FThrow's action ID, i couldn't make it work. All coding for it is done except for actually triggering change in action. Instead of doing that, he just went to standing pose, with opponent stuck on his ThrowN bone with no way out unless he/she is hit, either by another opponent or Ridley. If i will fix that, then FThrow will be edited a bit to resemble that unused version of wall scrapping animation.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Ooooh, I see you adjusted the mid-air pose! Looks awesome!
From what it looks like I'd make Ridley's feet move towards his torso a bit while jumping though, it looks a bit unnatural otherwise.

Also you have to be careful, the addition of Ridley might be yet another factor that would make Jiggly absolutely useless again, lol. But that's what testing's for I guess. Can't wait to try it out.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ooooh, I see you adjusted the mid-air pose! Looks awesome!
From what it looks like I'd make Ridley's feet move towards his torso a bit while jumping though, it looks a bit unnatural otherwise.

Also you have to be careful, the addition of Ridley might be yet another factor that would make Jiggly absolutely useless again, lol. But that's what testing's for I guess. Can't wait to try it out.
They move more than shown. Its just that animation is interrupted early on it.

We'll see how it will end. Maybe Jigglypuff will still be better in the air than he is.

Enchlore

Smash Cadet
NNID
Enchlore
Do you have a stock icon for Ridley? I made this one:

I tried to make it look as much like the other stock icons as I could, and also kept loyal to the portrait you're using, but it may look not so detailed as the other stock icons. It would probably look better ingame, though.

Either way, the work and dedication you're putting into this is great. It's definitely one of the best quality PSAs I have ever seen.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Geez. Ridley might be just a little too strong, don't you think? Not even Bowser's moves hit this hard.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Geez. Ridley might be just a little too strong, don't you think? Not even Bowser's moves hit this hard.
Well, he seems to be absolutely sluggish on the ground with tons of ending lag. I can't say for sure until I tested him but he looks almost useless and punishable as phuk while not airborne, lol.

Last edited:

Enchlore

Smash Cadet
NNID
Enchlore
Bagan did say that after completing the moveset and animations he would work on balancing Ridley. With level 9 CPUs, because he doesn't know any good Project M player near him.

Pkjoan

Smash Apprentice
Damn, so much professionalism! Do you have any plans on making another character after Ridley? (Like a Zelda character)

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Bagan did say that after completing the moveset and animations he would work on balancing Ridley. With level 9 CPUs, because he doesn't know any good Project M player near him.
It'd be smart to get more testers here or ask people on Netplay to help out.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
I haven't made aerial version yet (but oddly, there are animations for that in Ridley's Other M files). I can just port old aerial Down B (i keep cut animations and coding just in case i will need those) and change some hitbox attributes to be different from other specials like that like you said. I won't link it to ground version anyhow.
Very glad to hear! :)
i found out that Ridley can perform Wall of Pain and does it better than Jigglypuff (it has more range and knockback and Ridley himself has higher air mobility)
Jigglypuff, from what I read and seen, has good horizontal air mobility correct? What if Ridley had the best vertical air mobility? And if he could consecutively hit people flying upwards (his own version of wall of pain)? Of course, all of this is meaningless till testers get their hands on the present Ridley mod.
If i will fix that, then FThrow will be edited a bit to resemble that unused version of wall scrapping animation.
So, if I understood correctly, this is what you wish his Forward Throw to look like:
Grabs opponents -> Scrapes them across the floor -> Lifts them off the floor and holds them with both hands -> Can either hit them with the tail, or hit them with a close range fireball -> Opponent goes flying off.
Am I close?
Anyone willing to extensively playtest and give their honest and detailed impressions on the finished mod should definitely participate. Unless BaganSmashBros wishes to only select top players of course.

Last edited:

Enchlore

Smash Cadet
NNID
Enchlore
May I suggest something? You know how Meta Knight has his own victory theme, and Bowser and the Koopalings also have a different victory theme in Smash 4? You could get a new, different victory theme for Ridley to replace Pit's. If you can't find an appropriate one, maybe I can make one for you.

Enchlore

Smash Cadet
NNID
Enchlore
Wow, that's great. It's really nice to see all this detail being put in the project.
(it's also nice to know no one asked me to make a victory theme because I would definitely get frustrated with my tools)

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Do you have a stock icon for Ridley? I made this one:

I tried to make it look as much like the other stock icons as I could, and also kept loyal to the portrait you're using, but it may look not so detailed as the other stock icons. It would probably look better ingame, though.

Either way, the work and dedication you're putting into this is great. It's definitely one of the best quality PSAs I have ever seen.
I don't have any, so, thanks. I will use it. It will be hard to see how it really looks like anyway because those are very small.
May I suggest something? You know how Meta Knight has his own victory theme, and Bowser and the Koopalings also have a different victory theme in Smash 4? You could get a new, different victory theme for Ridley to replace Pit's. If you can't find an appropriate one, maybe I can make one for you.
As users above said, he already has one and currently, it is remix of Item Get fanfare from Metroid, but will most likely be replaced by victory theme based off his iconic battle theme.
Ridley has more endlag and no super armor unless he uses Down B, but then he gains extra start up and end lag. He also can be KOed easily because of his large size and low weight (same as Mario's).
Netplay may not help much because my internet connection is horrible and i can't emulate SSBB at full speed. But i will try to find testers soon.
Very glad to hear! :)
Jigglypuff, from what I read and seen, has good horizontal air mobility correct? What if Ridley had the best vertical air mobility? And if he could consecutively hit people flying upwards (his own version of wall of pain)? Of course, all of this is meaningless till testers get their hands on the present Ridley mod.
So, if I understood correctly, this is what you wish his Forward Throw to look like:
Grabs opponents -> Scrapes them across the floor -> Lifts them off the floor and holds them with both hands -> Can either hit them with the tail, or hit them with a close range fireball -> Opponent goes flying off.
Am I close?
Anyone willing to extensively playtest and give their honest and detailed impressions on the finished mod should definitely participate. Unless BaganSmashBros wishes to only select top players of course.
He already can do that with UAir and then sweetspotted BAir to finish opponent off.
Very close. But tail whip would be more like grab attack like it was going to be in Other M.
I want to select those that are skilled enough and properly understand what is balance.
Damn, so much professionalism! Do you have any plans on making another character after Ridley? (Like a Zelda character)
Dunno. I would like to try at least 2 characters - K.Rool and Zant - but i don't know much about former one and later one has no model that would be good enough for me (closest thing is Falco model hack, but it has a lot of clipping and no cloth physics).

Top Bottom