• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Nice, this is exactly why I waited to make anything haha. I'm sure that mine wouldn't have looked as good as Solbliminal's version. Would you mind sharing just the CSS icon in its native dimensions? I'd love to set up a slot where Lucario isn't replaced.
Here:

It looks better in-game.

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Here:

It looks better in-game.
Perfect! It looks great! I'll set it up tomorrow when I'm not supposed to be writing a paper haha. Also, I whipped up a quick stock icon. If you want, I could make some recolors. I wouldn't be offended if you found better ones though; my skill set's more in programming.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Omg can't wait to download this once it's complete. Hopefully if I share this once complete it'll open up more minds. I have been sharing your work in progress with others and they think it's stunning work of a playable Ridley. :D

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Perfect! It looks great! I'll set it up tomorrow when I'm not supposed to be writing a paper haha. Also, I whipped up a quick stock icon. If you want, I could make some recolors. I wouldn't be offended if you found better ones though; my skill set's more in programming.
It is obvious that stock you made has different Ridley used and is cut off incorrectly, so, it can't be used. I'll try to make them by myself.

Down Smash done:
Sourspot:

Sweetspot:

Framerate drop FTW. 30+ end lag frames. Hits in front of him and behind him. Opponent behind will be hit first, but turning your back to opponent and using it to reduce start up will only make it more punishable since then you will have 47+ frames for opponent to hit you.
Omg can't wait to download this once it's complete. Hopefully if I share this once complete it'll open up more minds. I have been sharing your work in progress with others and they think it's stunning work of a playable Ridley. :D
Glad to hear that.

Oh, and about sharing this with others - after aerial attacks will be done, new video will be uploaded showing what is done so far, like previous videos.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Sweetspot seems pretty powerful,but then your opponent should know better than to be that distance from Ridley.
An idea is,if one is hit while behind Ridley,they get sweeped out to the front,instead of knocked backwards.
Or is it already like that?

Looking good regardless!

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Sweetspot seems pretty powerful,but then your opponent should know better than to be that distance from Ridley.
An idea is,if one is hit while behind Ridley,they get sweeped out to the front,instead of knocked backwards.
Or is it already like that?

Looking good regardless!
Yeah, thats the entire thing with his tail - his with the sourspot = low knockback and damage and just not worth the end lag; hit with the sweetspot = high damage and knockback, but requires knowing where exactly it would hit, where it would miss and where sourspot will hit instead. I should have resetted damage on sourspot gif to properly show difference in knockback. Both sides must know where sweetspot will hit and it is harder to do than with Marth since his tail is longer and even stretches during attacks like Side Smash (for this one, tail deals same knockback and damage everywhere since Ridley stabs with it instead of swinging it), Down Smash, Side Tilt, AAA, etc.
No, it just knocks them back, away from him. It wouldn't make any sense if it would work like that and its more effective if it hits once. It also may work incorrectly.

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
It is obvious that stock you made has different Ridley used and is cut off incorrectly, so, it can't be used. I'll try to make them by myself.

Down Smash done:
Sourspot:

Sweetspot:

Framerate drop FTW. 30+ end lag frames. Hits in front of him and behind him. Opponent behind will be hit first, but turning your back to opponent and using it to reduce start up will only make it more punishable since then you will have 47+ frames for opponent to hit you.

Glad to hear that.

Oh, and about sharing this with others - after aerial attacks will be done, new video will be uploaded showing what is done so far, like previous videos.
That's fair. I didn't expect you to use it, hence my disclaimer. While I do think that Ridley should be in the roster, I'm still learning about the character and his subsequent incarnations. I guess that I'll stick to contributions in my realm of experience from now on haha.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Down Smash done:
Sourspot:

Sweetspot:

Dat length.

End frames seem to balance it though.

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
The down smash looks great, but it does look like the reach is a bit too long. Would you consider curving his tail more as he circles, to make it a little shorter?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The down smash looks great, but it does look like the reach is a bit too long. Would you consider curving his tail more as he circles, to make it a little shorter?
While it has long range, it also has long end lag and only tail blade really matters - everything else has low (or below average) knockback.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Same with mine except that too bad waluigi never had progress since augest tho
That smash 3 pichu icon tho!
That pichu is melee pichu fyi...

Also can I get the Image of the CSS icon with no back ground, or the full image of Ridley in his CSS pose?

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
All programming is boring or annoying,one,if you ask me;but I have no choice but to do it to see my ideas come alive.
Haha, truer words have never been spoken. It's definitely worth it in the end, even if the act might seem repetitive sometimes. I've become better acquainted with assembly code thanks to RELs, so there's that.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So Bagan, will Ridley's tail lack any hurtboxes like it does in the Metroid series? Seeing as that Sakurai failed to take note of that fact while making him oversized in Smash, I was wondering if it was possible to implement such a thing into this mod.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Seeing as that Sakurai failed to take note of that fact while making him oversized in Smash
You mean that he made Ridley's tail have hurtboxes while making him oversized?

You do realize that it makes that whole mini-boss fight thing for Ridley more intuitive?

If a player who hasn't played Metroid is on that stage and can't hit the tail, they'll get frustrated and wonder "why the hell can't I hit the damn tail?"

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
I'm seriously getting annoyed at gamefaqs now. Mods get pissey and whiny when you bashFire Emblem, Shulk and Dark Pit and gets you modded but funny how they never mod Ridley troll threads. Threads intentionally made to troll Ridley fans. I shared this there. PoSitive praise from many peeps but some trolls ruined the thread sadly and non got in trouble. I didn't even mention the words "Project M" and it got modded for "illegal activities'" and "flaming"? Seriously?

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
I'm seriously getting annoyed at gamefaqs now. Mods get pissey and whiny when you bashFire Emblem, Shulk and Dark Pit and gets you modded but funny how they never mod Ridley troll threads. Threads intentionally made to troll Ridley fans. I shared this there. PoSitive praise from many peeps but some trolls ruined the thread sadly and non got in trouble. I didn't even mention the words "Project M" and it got modded for "illegal activities'" and "flaming"? Seriously?
Welcome to GameFAQS bro.
The year is 2121.GameFAQS is the only gaming community left in existence.Gamers as a whole have degraded into trolls and flamers.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Welcome to GameFAQS bro.
The year is 2121.GameFAQS is the only gaming community left in existence.Gamers as a whole have degraded into trolls and flamers.

Also... notice anything different?

Fun Fact: The arrangement of the characters is a mixture of how Smash 4 and Melee did their Character Select Screen. (notice what types characters are on the far edges) However in terms of Smash, this's the first time 3rd party characters are at the center of the CSS.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So Bagan, will Ridley's tail lack any hurtboxes like it does in the Metroid series? Seeing as that Sakurai failed to take note of that fact while making him oversized in Smash, I was wondering if it was possible to implement such a thing into this mod.
Yes, it is completly invincible. Hurtboxes are placed on his arms, head, legs, wing base and body/torso, but tail is left without anything.

You do realize that it makes that whole mini-boss fight thing for Ridley more intuitive?

If a player who hasn't played Metroid is on that stage and can't hit the tail, they'll get frustrated and wonder "why the hell can't I hit the damn tail?"
But then he becomes way too easy to hit. You can be on the other end of the stage's main platform and hit him when he is on the opposite end while he can't do anything about it. Overall, he is easier to beat than any other Ridley, even NES Ridley. And he made Yellow Devil invincible everywhere except for his eye, so, why couldn't he do something similar to Ridley, but his entire body except for his tail would be weakspot?

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
But then he becomes way too easy to hit. You can be on the other end of the stage's main platform and hit him when he is on the opposite end while he can't do anything about it. Overall, he is easier to beat than any other Ridley, even NES Ridley. And he made Yellow Devil invincible everywhere except for his eye, so, why couldn't he do something similar to Ridley, but his entire body except for his tail would be weakspot?
I honestly don't agree with Sakurai's decisiosn about the Yellow Devil. I would have never aimed for his eye if I didn't watch the Direct videos/streams, which is unfair to the user who just picks up Smash. But that's my reason as to why I believe Ridley's tail has hurtboxes.

YoshiplayerX

Smash Apprentice
Wow i see this is a great project.
But the D-Smash looks a bit strong. Too much range and Power.
Make the hitbox and knockback small on his tail and big and strong on the sting.

Omg I didnt saw the first video.
Good job:happysheep:

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

A frustration that lasts until the player learns that the other bits can be hit instead. Which isn't really hard to figure out, nor is it a major inconvenience of any description because Ridley, well, is pretty darn big.

Ezoroth

Smash Rookie
NNID
Generalray
3DS FC
0877-1587-0191
When I actually got ahold of a controller yesterday at a friend's house I found the ridley "boss" to be incredibly easy, He kept swapping sides between me and my friend quickly before I finished him off as Ganondorf. It was visually appealing, but that was all it had going for it. I didn't particularly feel like I was fighting ridley but more like a dumbed down version. The intensity of fighting him isn't all that great.
But, I guess it would be cool for someone just getting into the smash series, but for a metroid fan, I would just say it is meh.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
When I actually got ahold of a controller yesterday at a friend's house I found the ridley "boss" to be incredibly easy, He kept swapping sides between me and my friend quickly before I finished him off as Ganondorf. It was visually appealing, but that was all it had going for it. I didn't particularly feel like I was fighting ridley but more like a dumbed down version. The intensity of fighting him isn't all that great.
But, I guess it would be cool for someone just getting into the smash series, but for a metroid fan, I would just say it is meh.
It is mostly because he can't take much damage, flinches, switches sides and his moveset was ported from a 3D game and it can't work in 2.5D game. He also is a lot bigger than he was in Other M and you can hit him anywhere, which makes him even more pathetic.
Even for those who played Brawl without knowing anyone except for few characters and then tested that unpolished piece of...something would feel how much worse it is.

Anyway, i rediced to remake dodging animations because they were just animations from previous versions recreated with this model. Here they are:

Covers a lot of distance in small amount of time, but they are still laggy and invincibility frames don't last for too long.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord

Down Smash done:
Sourspot:

Sweetspot:

Glad to hear that.

Why are you utilizing Ridley's tail for so many smash attacks? It's still being used for the forward-smash right? Just because it's a long asset, doesn't mean he should use it so much. I mean, the dude has these big giant claws attached to his long monkey-arms and doesn't even use them for smashes (which would be perfect).

Plz don't respond with "It gives him range and has a blade on it." His arms are long enough, have a lot of muscle to them, and -to put it simply- Ridley doesn't need the extra range from the tail.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Why are you utilizing Ridley's tail for so many smash attacks? It's still being used for the forward-smash right? Just because it's a long asset, doesn't mean he should use it so much. I mean, the dude has these big giant claws attached to his long monkey-arms and doesn't even use them for smashes (which would be perfect).

Plz don't respond with "It gives him range and has a blade on it." His arms are long enough, have a lot of muscle to them, and -to put it simply- Ridley doesn't need the extra range from the tail.
Don't worry. They will be used. Claws aren't used for smash attacks because...i just can't think of any smash attack that could use them. They still will be used for stuff like FAir (i have something special planned for this one), UAir, UThrow, battering item dash and smash attacks (like Marth's). and already are used for 2 jabs, dash attack and DTilt. This means that tail is used for 1 jab, STilt, Side and Down Smash, BAir, NAir, BThrow and DAir while claws are used for 2 jabs, DTilt, UAir, FAir, UThrow, dash atttack and battering item dash and smash attacks. So, they are equal (8 for each). Or maybe claws are used more...

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Don't worry. They will be used. Claws aren't used for smash attacks because...i just can't think of any smash attack that could use them. They still will be used for stuff like FAir (i have something special planned for this one), UAir, UThrow, battering item dash and smash attacks (like Marth's). and already are used for 2 jabs, dash attack and DTilt. This means that tail is used for 1 jab, STilt, Side and Down Smash, BAir, NAir, BThrow and DAir while claws are used for 2 jabs, DTilt, UAir, FAir, UThrow, dash atttack and battering item dash and smash attacks. So, they are equal (8 for each). Or maybe claws are used more...
I'm not saying you shouldn't use the tail at all, but Ridley -at least in this design- strikes me as someone who would prioritize his claws for stronger up-close attacks. Can you really not think of a smash attack for them? I mean, you could always go for the simple overhead slash, but even Smash 4 has Ridley performing a 3 hit combo with slashes that would be a perfect f-smash (I doubt 3 progressing slashes because balance, but 2 might be good if he doesn't advance that much). Also in the Sm4sh incarnation, he has access to an attack where he barrels forward and another where he fast-fall-attacks ala Toon Link (with foot as main tool) [etc etc].

An easy D-Smash could literally just be Marth's, but to get creative Ridley can pull a grounded claw from one side of him to another. A simple movement that would cover a nice range, but swift as he only slashes once (adjust end-lag accordingly).

Btw, I would prob avoid stuff like swipe, swipe, spin-around-tail if that's what you were planning. Seems awkward to have a heavyweight character just turn around for a tail swipe like it's nothing. Oh, and is down-tilt a spin with the tail? Plz say no. Would prob look better if he slapped his tail in front of him from "up to down" with a nice motion effect to it.

Also, plz no command grab for f-air.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I'm not saying you shouldn't use the tail at all, but Ridley -at least in this design- strikes me as someone who would prioritize his claws for stronger up-close attacks. Can you really not think of a smash attack for them? I mean, you could always go for the simple overhead slash, but even Smash 4 has Ridley performing a 3 hit combo with slashes that would be a perfect f-smash (I doubt 3 progressing slashes because balance, but 2 might be good if he doesn't advance that much). Also in the Sm4sh incarnation, he has access to an attack where he barrels forward and another where he fast-fall-attacks ala Toon Link (with foot as main tool) [etc etc].

An easy D-Smash could literally just be Marth's, but to get creative Ridley can pull a grounded claw from one side of him to another. A simple movement that would cover a nice range, but swift as he only slashes once (adjust end-lag accordingly).

Btw, I would prob avoid stuff like swipe, swipe, spin-around-tail if that's what you were planning. Seems awkward to have a heavyweight character just turn around for a tail swipe like it's nothing. Oh, and is down-tilt a spin with the tail? Plz say no. Would prob look better if he slapped his tail in front of him from "up to down" with a nice motion effect to it.

Also, plz no command grab for f-air.
That one is used for jabs. That other attack could be used for Side Smash, but what currently is there is his classic attack that appeared in all 2D games since he became giant space dragon in Super Metroid (one where he spins his tail and then attempts to stab Samus).

Sounds a lot like Wolf's.

It already is done like that: http://s017.radikal.ru/i401/1411/b3/3ca9f77b8b8d.gif He isn't heavyweight character. He is around Mario's weight since he is a flying creature and those can't be too heavy.
DTilt is this: http://i.imgur.com/M00Qplk.gif

FAir won't be command grab. That can't be done and even if it could be, command grabs should be only on specials.

I would recommend looking at OP since there is in-game animations put next to attacks they show and other info. Some have "same as in previous version" in description. I will fix that later.

Last edited:

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
That one is used for jabs. That other attack could be used for Side Smash, but what currently is there is his classic attack that appeared in all 2D games since he became giant space dragon in Super Metroid (one where he spins his tail and then attempts to stab Samus).

Sounds a lot like Wolf's.

It already is done like that: http://s017.radikal.ru/i401/1411/b3/3ca9f77b8b8d.gif He isn't heavyweight character. He is around Mario's weight since he is a flying creature and those can't be too heavy.
DTilt is this: http://i.imgur.com/M00Qplk.gif

FAir won't be command grab. That can't be done and even if it could be, command grabs should be only on specials.

I would recommend looking at OP since there is in-game animations put next to attacks they show and other info. Some have "same as in previous version" in description. I will fix that later.
I do like the down tilt......but in regards to your other responses, remember that Other M Ridley isn't as lankey as Super Metroid Ridley - He is much more top-heavy in said Other M rendition as can be seen.

But Wolf's is two-hit, yes. Slightly similar

He isn't heavyweight character. He is around Mario's weight since he is a flying creature and those can't be too heavy.
That's it, I'm done here. Good luck on this or whatever.

*Jumping off a cliff now*

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
It is mostly because he can't take much damage, flinches, switches sides and his moveset was ported from a 3D game and it can't work in 2.5D game. He also is a lot bigger than he was in Other M and you can hit him anywhere, which makes him even more pathetic.
Even for those who played Brawl without knowing anyone except for few characters and then tested that unpolished piece of...something would feel how much worse it is.

Anyway, i rediced to remake dodging animations because they were just animations from previous versions recreated with this model. Here they are:

Covers a lot of distance in small amount of time, but they are still laggy and invincibility frames don't last for too long.
Very nice Bagan.
Ridley's Air Dodge should be from that scene in Other M when Anthony shoots Ridley in the air but dodges it.

4:11->4:16 of the video below

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Is the orange re-color meant to resemble his apperance in Zero Mission?
He's like a light brown in that game,and that's the closet recolor shown.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I do like the down tilt......but in regards to your other responses, remember that Other M Ridley isn't as lankey as Super Metroid Ridley - He is much more top-heavy in said Other M rendition as can be seen.

But Wolf's is two-hit, yes. Slightly similar

That's it, I'm done here. Good luck on this or whatever.

*Jumping off a cliff now*
He is - its just that his proportions are a lot more human-like. His ribs and other bones are visible like on normal Ridley.

Samus is ligher than Ridley and she doesn't even needs to fly. Other reason why Ridley is so light is to balance his range and attack power along with end lag and large hitboxes.
Very nice Bagan.
Ridley's Air Dodge should be from that scene in Other M when Anthony shoots Ridley in the air but dodges it.

4:11->4:16 of the video below
It won't properly work since air dodge can be done without really moving and Ridley spins when dodging in Other M.
CoughCharizardCough

Honestly he should be around charizards weight
That guy is fat compared to thin Ridley.
Is the orange re-color meant to resemble his apperance in Zero Mission?
He's like a light brown in that game,and that's the closet recolor shown.
Its Charizard recolor obviously. He is too bright for ZM Ridley.

All smash attacks and Neutral Special (which needs to be fixed because fireball is misaligned and randomly decides to become very powerful or normal) are done. I can't show them for now. Once aerial attacks will be done, new video will be uploaded, without audio glitches and with some video editing.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
so, this is what Ridley's slot might look like on the CSS. this is in no way official; it is merely a proof-of-concept demonstration. Any suggestions as to where Ridley should go on the CSS?

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
so, this is what Ridley's slot might look like on the CSS. this is in no way official; it is merely a proof-of-concept demonstration. Any suggestions as to where Ridley should go on the CSS? Also, a separate Dr. Mario will not be included in the Ridley build, barring popular demand.
I have no clue where he could go but I just have to say, I hate project m's roster layout. It bugs me so much

Edit: Actually maybe swap the position of the earthbound and metroid characters, move the bottom row along and put him next to Zamus (Where capt is now)

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
I have no clue where he could go but I just have to say, I hate project m's roster layout. It bugs me so much

Edit: Actually maybe swap the position of the earthbound and metroid characters, move the bottom row along and put him next to Zamus (Where capt is now)
Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Would you put Captain Falcon next to Pit, then?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
so, this is what Ridley's slot might look like on the CSS. this is in no way official; it is merely a proof-of-concept demonstration. Any suggestions as to where Ridley should go on the CSS? Also, a separate Dr. Mario will not be included in the Ridley build, barring popular demand.
Close to Samus. Either before or after ZSS.
Ridley is also larger than him so it balances out
Ridley has 5 jumps and none of his recovery specials actually put him into helpless state (they only disable anything that could be used for recovery). Imagine same thing, but also heavy like Charizard.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Try this formation:

Going from vanilla PM to this would put:

Samus, ZSS, and Ridley (in this order) on the beginning of the forth row.

Pit starting off the bottom row.

Lucas & Ness (in this order) at the end of the third row.

If Dr. Mario is going to be in a future build w/h Ridley try this:

First row (Dr. Mario, Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Wario, DK, Diddy)

Second Row (Same as PM)

Third Row (PM, then Lucas and Ness)

Fourth Row (Samus, ZSS, Ridley, Kirby, Meta Knight, Dedede, Ike, Marth Roy)

Fifth Row (Falcon, Pit, PM Fifth Row)

Last edited:
Top Bottom