• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The silhouette problem described by Crainy. Also, I like unique moves. I don't want people to see this project and think, "Did this guy just clone zard and fiddle around?"

As for the video... Ridley can't hit a grounded Ganon with utilt? You sure that hitbox matches the animation?
But your list used other characters' attacks as examples too. I will change it since its hard to hit with and use now closed Ridley 4 Sm4sh thread's moveset for replacement.
Ganondorf was airdodging while i used utilt. Its hitbox is placed on only half of his tail, but they would hit him anyway and hitboxes are always attached to bones until removed.
So what percentage of completion for this hack would you say is done?

How problematic are the wings clipping through platforms? (What I mean by this is, are you close to being able to find some solution to this problem, or are you far from close to being able fix it?)

Are you soon planning to post a video of Ridley being tested out in a legitimate battle rather than training mode?
45%-50%.
Not very much, kinda like with Bowser (and maybe Rosalina) in SSB4.

After i will finish get hit animations, i will upload it. For now, im just showing attacks and stuff like that.

Last edited:

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
But your list used other characters' attacks as examples too. I will change it since its hard to hit with and use now closed Ridley 4 Sm4sh thread's moveset for replacement.
I named other characters as reference to help visualize my thoughts. We both play smash, so it's easier to visualize what I'm trying to say through imagery rather than text. Since its really easy to misinterpret text. I never want to clone moves from other characters. I mainly used them to show an idea of where hit boxes would be or how they animate.
4. It is kinda already done except for the last part. I don't think i can make that last part work without having to replace glide attack and without using fake projectiles that unfortunately won't explode when touching the ground.
How about making him fire a laser towards the ground instead? Well, lasers would be more fitting for meta ridley so maybe a continuous stream of fire instead. Not sure if it should function like bowser's nB. Ideally it would be a move that helps him land safely. It would help differentiate his glide attack from zard who currently has the same glide attack.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I named other characters as reference to help visualize my thoughts. We both play smash, so it's easier to visualize what I'm trying to say through imagery rather than text. Since its really easy to misinterpret text. I never want to clone moves from other characters. I mainly used them to show an idea of where hit boxes would be or how they animate.

How about making him fire a laser towards the ground instead? Well, lasers would be more fitting for meta ridley so maybe a continuous stream of fire instead. Not sure if it should function like bowser's nB. Ideally it would be a move that helps him land safely. It would help differentiate his glide attack from zard who currently has the same glide attack.
Oh, ok then. Is there any other attacks that should better be more original?

That could work. Unfortunately, it is impossible to make a proper stream of fire, but i think i know how to make this attack - it is possible to spawn weapon projectiles like super scope's (shown with Brawl- Ganondorf), so, i could make him spawn few cracker launcher projectiles when opening mouth to make this attack work like one of Meta Ridley's attacks. I will try to keep it useful for Up B>Glide attack combo, so, he will shoot forward first, then down.
EDIT: cracker launcher projectile method failed, so, i used normal one with fake projectiles once again, but not really a projectile this time. Now i only need to find a good GFX that won't leave such a long trail.

Last edited:

0RLY

@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros
I believed I covered my thoughts on every move shown so far. When you finish up, demonstrate each move in grouped order. It's helpful to see every tilt or every smash together. It also helps some with identifing ftilts from fsmashes.

I expected everything to be fake projectiles from the very beginning. As for the gfx... I don't see any problem with just using standard fire gfx. If you're looking for something different, you can try stealing Duon's lasers, Porky's laser, one of Tabuu's projectiles, or this thing's projectile.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros
I believed I covered my thoughts on every move shown so far. When you finish up, demonstrate each move in grouped order. It's helpful to see every tilt or every smash together. It also helps some with identifing ftilts from fsmashes.

I expected everything to be fake projectiles from the very beginning. As for the gfx... I don't see any problem with just using standard fire gfx. If you're looking for something different, you can try stealing Duon's lasers, Porky's laser, one of Tabuu's projectiles, or this thing's projectile.
I will do that soon as images for now. I don't have any programs that could edit videos to, for example, add text, so, that is the best way i can do that.
I did, but for now, i didn't found one that doesn't leaves a long trail/remains for too long. Those bosses' projectiles and beams are colored in a way that does not requires editing textures, but when i try to recolor them through right way, they have some glitched parts. Roturret's fireballs look better than those i use for now, but they don't actually move. I will still use them, but with actual animations.
For the glide attack, Ridley releases a stream of fire while moving forward and rising his body until he aims forward (stream of fire starts when he is aiming down). Before he stops, stream of fire becomes longer and stronger and can KO. Like Samus's FAir, but in reverse (last hitbox is still the strongest and the only one that can KO) and has more hits.

Last edited:

Mean Green

Smash Lord
Wait let me get this straight. You're one person and you did all of this? And I'm to understand you're a human?

Mean Green

Smash Lord
Everything I've seen so far regarding amateur animation hasn't impressed me until now. This is just amazing.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
This PSA is looking more awesome every time I check on this thread, It will be awesome when you get this finished. How are you going to approach balancing though? Is he going to be big and fast as a alternate to bowser's big and slow.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
This PSA is looking more awesome every time I check on this thread, It will be awesome when you get this finished. How are you going to approach balancing though? Is he going to be big and fast as a alternate to bowser's big and slow.
He is fast (at least in the air), big and strong, but his weight is rather low for such a large target (he is as light as Mario) and has either noticable start up or end lag on his ground attacks.

Here is new glide attack:

It works like Samus' FAir, but in reverse (last hit is still the strongest one and the only one that can KO). I will increase its range a bit and increase fixed knockback on every hit except for last one so opponent would be hit by that last one.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Hey what did you think of the chirzard hack? (the arrows as fireballs in particular)
I feel like that idea can be used quite well if done properly.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hey what did you think of the chirzard hack? (the arrows as fireballs in particular)
I feel like that idea can be used quite well if done properly.
I couldn't test him because he crashes the game, but it sounds like he uses Link's arrows remade to be fireballs. So, this is a true projectile. True projectiles use articles and those are impossible to replicate for now and since Captain Falcon, character used as a base for now, has none, it is impossible to do. So, i have to use fake projectiles only.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I couldn't test him because he crashes the game, but it sounds like he uses Link's arrows remade to be fireballs. So, this is a true projectile. True projectiles use articles and those are impossible to replicate for now and since Captain Falcon, character used as a base for now, has none, it is impossible to do. So, i have to use fake projectiles only.
well I know he uses links arows.. my suggestion would be to port ur riddly model onto link, or simply use the charzard hack I'm talking about as a base and put all your psa stuff onto that. Then you can use real projectiles (which is why I suggested this in the first place). I find fake projectiles to be kinda crappy in a number of ways (can't be reflected, the projectile dissapear at the end of the animation etc).

Now the problem is it freezes the game.. and I don't know why that would be. It should work, that's just strange.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
well I know he uses links arows.. my suggestion would be to port ur riddly model onto link, or simply use the charzard hack I'm talking about as a base and put all your psa stuff onto that. Then you can use real projectiles (which is why I suggested this in the first place). I find fake projectiles to be kinda crappy in a number of ways (can't be reflected, the projectile dissapear at the end of the animation etc).

Now the problem is it freezes the game.. and I don't know why that would be. It should work, that's just strange.
I don't know soundbank code for Link that would give him Ridley's sounds (i only have such codes for Captain Falcon and ZSS), i've done already enough stuff and i don't know how to properly port everything. It will take a lot of time and effort just to have 1 attack with true projectiles and i will either still have to use fake projectiles since Link has only 1 arrow and more can't be created or completly replace Down B and Final Smashes and that is something i can't do since i don't know what i can use instead that isn't already done in one of his normal attacks.

If it freezes the game because of Project M, then i will not use it as a base anyhow. I don't want this hack to be limited to only vBrawl (well, it is only for Project M for now, but at least that is something that was done to save space for animations and will most likely be fixed and its just a superiour version of the game).

Replaced BAir with new attack:

It consists of Ridley stabbing opponent behind him, then swinging his tail up and then down. Usually deals 3 hits with last one being a spike/semi-spike unless Ridley is too close or too far from opponent. Has good range, but completly misses everything in front of him. Has 10 start up and end lag frames. Sweetspot at the tip of the tail that deals more damage and knockback.
Here is new FAir:

It is like that weird attack he used in the recent video, but hits only once and has better range. It has nearly no end lag and only 15-20 frames of start up. Hitbox lasts for ~7 frames. Like in many other attacks that uses tail, it has sweetspot at the tip of the tail that deals more knockback and damage.
Also, replaced Win animation 1 fire graphic with better one, increased fixed knockback and 2nd half of fire stream's size in glide attack and replaced landing sound, so, wavedashing won't fill the match with BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM...BOOMBOOM or something like that. Overall, Ridley becomes less of a copy of Super Smash Bros Crusade's Ridley. For few days, i wasn't really working on him for some reasons, but i will fix that. I hope i won't be too bored when making misc animations like item throw animations...

Last edited:

Dos efes

Smash Cadet
Keep up the good work man, been checking this thread for a while and I'm really impressed. Hope we can see it in action soon, at least in video form.

cheers.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
I don't know soundbank code for Link that would give him Ridley's sounds (i only have such codes for Captain Falcon and ZSS), i've done already enough stuff and i don't know how to properly port everything. It will take a lot of time and effort just to have 1 attack with true projectiles and i will either still have to use fake projectiles since Link has only 1 arrow and more can't be created or completly replace Down B and Final Smashes and that is something i can't do since i don't know what i can use instead that isn't already done in one of his normal attacks.

If it freezes the game because of Project M, then i will not use it as a base anyhow. I don't want this hack to be limited to only vBrawl (well, it is only for Project M for now, but at least that is something that was done to save space for animations and will most likely be fixed and its just a superiour version of the game).
While speaking of other characters, have you decided weather or not you'll port Ridley over ZZS or Captain Falcon or are you going to use Brawl's Clone engine? (Please be the second option, I like using all the characters in Project M and don't want to lose any.)

Also, replaced Win animation 1 fire graphic with better one, increased fixed knockback and 2nd half of fire stream's size in glide attack and replaced landing sound, so, wavedashing won't fill the match with BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM...BOOMBOOM or something like that. Overall, Ridley becomes less of a copy of Super Smash Bros Crusade's Ridley. For few days, i wasn't really working on him for some reasons, but i will fix that. I hope i won't be too bored when making misc animations like item throw animations...
While speaking of ETC animations and other properties, Ridley will be able to L-Cancel correct? Also, didn't you say there was a problem where Items would be in Ridley's neck, has that been fixed? I'd also like to know what Ridley's prone animations are because him having Charizard's or Bowser's Face up animations would look stupid (A little nit picky detail, I know, but it's just something that just looks weird and irks me.)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
While speaking of other characters, have you decided weather or not you'll port Ridley over ZZS or Captain Falcon or are you going to use Brawl's Clone engine? (Please be the second option, I like using all the characters in Project M and don't want to lose any.)

While speaking of ETC animations and other properties, Ridley will be able to L-Cancel correct? Also, didn't you say there was a problem where Items would be in Ridley's neck, has that been fixed? I'd also like to know what Ridley's prone animations are because him having Charizard's or Bowser's Face up animations would look stupid (A little nit picky detail, I know, but it's just something that just looks weird and irks me.)
I will make such port, but only after Captain Falcon port will be finished.

Yes since every character in Project M can do that and it is done (i think) by one of the codes, not in character movesets. That item glitch has been fixed and now i need to only improve his hand pose when holding capsules and things like that. And what exactly is face up animation? If you mean lying down with back facing the ground animation, then i will make it look similar to the pose he goes into when you beat him in Other M, but looking less...um...dead.

I decided to replace UAir since its too similar to USmash. It will be something like Bowser's UTilt with some fire breath added instead.

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
I will make such port, but only after Captain Falcon port will be finished.
Woot, so how long will the Captain Falcon port take (just give an estimation, or don't if the numbers are insufficient for you to give one) before you use Brawl's clone engine?

And what exactly is face up animation? If you mean lying down with back facing the ground animation, then i will make it look similar to the pose he goes into when you beat him in Other M, but looking less...um...dead.
Yes, that is indeed what I mean, and cool.

I've also wanted to know, through the duration of developing this PSA will you ever post a Beta for the PSA on Brawlvault (Maybe around 65-75% done) or are you going to wait until the PSA is 100% done before uploading it. (You may have probably answered this question, if so my mistake.)

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Woot, so how long will the Captain Falcon port take (just give an estimation, or don't if the numbers are insufficient for you to give one) before you use Brawl's clone engine?
Um...im already making it as default version...

I dun goofed with names and icons in that video. So, it will take as much time as i would need to finish the PSA. 1-2 weeks i guess. It is nearly 50% finished now.
Yes, that is indeed what I mean, and cool.

I've also wanted to know, through the duration of developing this PSA will you ever post a Beta for the PSA on Brawlvault (Maybe around 65-75% done) or are you going to wait until the PSA is 100% done before uploading it. (You may have probably answered this question, if so my mistake.)
Yes, i will upload a beta version with unfinished item animations, so, it will be somewhere near 75% complete. It won't have any recolors to reduce file size.

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Um...im already making it as default version...

I dun goofed with names and icons in that video. So, it will take as much time as i would need to finish the PSA. 1-2 weeks i guess. It is nearly 50% finished now.
Well, I knew that the port over Captain Falcon was the default one, I kind of worded that wrong, what I mean to say is overall on the PSA and then when you'll start on the Clone Engine port. But I must say, you work incredibly fast.

Yes, i will upload a beta version with unfinished item animations, so, it will be somewhere near 75% complete. It won't have any recolors to reduce file size.
Speaking of recolors, I'd also like to add, are you going to have a recolor that makes Ridley look more vibrant? (Like, Melee Ridley trophy textures or like the Ridley in the background of that Pyrosphere stage in the Screenshot you posted on the first page, no I don't mean Ridley-X, I mean the default Ridley model with more vibrant colors just to clarify.) My apologies if I'm bugging you asking so many questions.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well, I knew that the port over Captain Falcon was the default one, I kind of worded that wrong, what I mean to say is overall on the PSA and then when you'll start on the Clone Engine port. But I must say, you work incredibly fast.

Speaking of recolors, I'd also like to add, are you going to have a recolor that makes Ridley look more vibrant? (Like, Melee Ridley trophy textures or like the Ridley in the background of that Pyrosphere stage in the Screenshot you posted on the first page, no I don't mean Ridley-X, I mean the default Ridley model with more vibrant colors just to clarify.) My apologies if I'm bugging you asking so many questions.
That is unless i will get distracted by something...

I don't know if i can make something like this, but i will try.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
He is fast (at least in the air), big and strong, but his weight is rather low for such a large target (he is as light as Mario) and has either noticable start up or end lag on his ground attacks.

Here is new glide attack:

It works like Samus' FAir, but in reverse (last hit is still the strongest one and the only one that can KO). I will increase its range a bit and increase fixed knockback on every hit except for last one so opponent would be hit by that last one.
That is a good looking Ridley.

themaziest

Smash Cadet
Is the Ridley's scream from Metroid Fusion a consideration for a taunt ? :D

Awesome PSA, it's really impressive. Don't be too hasty, take your time to polish it the best you can.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Is the Ridley's scream from Metroid Fusion a consideration for a taunt ? :D

Awesome PSA, it's really impressive. Don't be too hasty, take your time to polish it the best you can.
It is...but it most likely won't be used because no one ever ripped that roar from the game.

Im doing that. Why it would require that much is because im using all of my free time, so, im not working on it 2 hours per day or something like that. Right now im trying to find a way to improve Down B fireball.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Are both B and dB fireballs? What are the differences?
Neutral B fireballs are just to deal damage since they have fixed knockback and come out as fast as those created by Bowser's and Charizard's Flamethrowers. They look like this (lower image):

Down B fireball instead deals high knockback (when fully charged) and damage. This one is ideal for edgeguarding when fully charged or even for blocking projectiles like Charge Shot (fully charged) or even just destroying them and hitting opponent who shot them (things like Super Missiles and that water stream Squirtle uses) and just looks a lot better than Neutral B fireballs:

There is nothing else that could replace Down B anyway, so, this is a better solution than reusing one of the normal attacks, but more powerful. It isn't completly made up - Other M Ridley uses those during his boss battle.

0RLY

To improve dB, perhaps allow Ridley to shoot it at a downwards angle if used in the air. It would be similar to meta ridley's boss battle attack. It would also make sense for it to fire downwards, being a dB and all. If you want, you can make it more technical by having the fireballs become ledge cancel-able or edge cancel-able. Land cancels like bowser's fire breath start-up cancel or sheik's needles end-lag cancel are also an option, but one I would tread carefully with.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
To improve dB, perhaps allow Ridley to shoot it at a downwards angle if used in the air. It would be similar to meta ridley's boss battle attack. It would also make sense for it to fire downwards, being a dB and all. If you want, you can make it more technical by having the fireballs become ledge cancel-able or edge cancel-able. Land cancels like bowser's fire breath start-up cancel or sheik's needles end-lag cancel are also an option, but one I would tread carefully with.
He already does at ~45 degree angle. I don't know about either of those tricks you listed btw...never saw them being performed or even heard of them before.

0RLY

When Bowser uses fire breath in the air and lands during the start-up aniimation, that animation is cancelled and Bowser proceeds directly to the attacking animation. This also happens with both Link's arrows.
Land cancel is when the end lag of an aerial attack is cancelled directly into the standing animation without any landing animation. This property is on Samus' missiles, Fox/Falco's lasers, Sheik's needles, Zelda's Nayru, and G&W's chef.
Ledge cancel is when attacks are cancelled by grabbing the ledge, such as Bowser and Yoshi's down Bs. Bowser's side B, Yoshi's up-b, and Sheik's up-b also have this property.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
When Bowser uses fire breath in the air and lands during the start-up aniimation, that animation is cancelled and Bowser proceeds directly to the attacking animation. This also happens with both Link's arrows.
Land cancel is when the end lag of an aerial attack is cancelled directly into the standing animation without any landing animation. This property is on Samus' missiles, Fox/Falco's lasers, Sheik's needles, Zelda's Nayru, and G&W's chef.
Ledge cancel is when attacks are cancelled by grabbing the ledge, such as Bowser and Yoshi's down Bs. Bowser's side B, Yoshi's up-b, and Sheik's up-b also have this property.
Then he can do all of that except for land cancel. I don't remember does he loses his fireball charge or not when doing that, but i know that if mistimed (is that even a word?), it is wasted.

0RLY

Then he can do all of that except for land cancel. I don't remember does he loses his fireball charge or not when doing that, but i know that if mistimed (is that even a word?), it is wasted.
Try looking into the attacks I listed to see if there's anything noticeable in there that could help Ridley not lose his charge. (Yes, mistimed is a word)
@ themaziest themaziest Google can't seem to translate that page. I can't locate the download or preview buttons.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Try looking into the attacks I listed to see if there's anything noticeable in there that could help Ridley not lose his charge. (Yes, mistimed is a word)
@ themaziest themaziest Google can't seem to translate that page. I can't locate the download or preview buttons.
I could make him reduce his momentum to 0 until fireball disappears and gain some (in direction) when shooting it. Every other chargable projectile uses an article, so, they aren't lost if mistimed. Ridley uses fake projectiles and they cease to exist when animation changes or ends.
Thanks for the link. I will make it replace normal roar when certain button is held, kinda like Captain Falcon's Knee of Justice HYES easter egg (or whatever it should be) in Project M.

0RLY

I could make him reduce his momentum to 0 until fireball disappears and gain some (in direction) when shooting it. Every other chargable projectile uses an article, so, they aren't lost if mistimed. Ridley uses fake projectiles and they cease to exist when animation changes or ends.
That's a pretty good idea. It would work like Ivy's dair, right? A wingbeat+fireball seems like a great move!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
That's a pretty good idea. It would work like Ivy's dair, right? A wingbeat+fireball seems like a great move!
Yes, but a bit slower (still faster than ground version) and at a diagonal angle (forgot to put direction before).

Important news - i've reached animations file size limit again, so, i have to find solution for that before continuing my work. One of the options that i prefer is using my Other M Ridley model with fixed beak and textures and less bones and more details. I will soon upload Ridley VS Samus lv9 match with placeholder animations for get hit animations (they don't look bad, but they look same).

Last edited:

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
Whatever you do to the model, please make sure theres atleast one alt that is the default Brawl model atleast appearance wise, because I honestly dont really dig your custom model.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So how's your progress on the Ridley PSA now?
I reached animations file size limit again (i nearly finished all of the get hit animations by that time), but this time it is impossible to fix that without using new model with a lot less bones (Other M model, my version of course, with possibly smaller wings and further modified to resemble Baganley in color and shape) and restarting the project (this time on Lucario because he has chargable projectiles, command grab on side b and a better Final Smash and he can be cloned - Mewtwo proves that) or reducing animation quality to trash. So, this project will be left in this state until that Other M model i have will be fixed because it is currently unusable since it crashes the game most likely due to being high poly model.
Whatever you do to the model, please make sure theres atleast one alt that is the default Brawl model atleast appearance wise, because I honestly dont really dig your custom model.
For reasons i mentioned above, it is impossible now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom