• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Dunno if it has been mentioned but are there plans for an entry animation (or is there already one)?

If not, did you have something in mind?
The most obvious candidate would probably be Ridley appearing from the shadows just like on Ceres in Super Metroid. On the other hand it wouldn't make much sense without a black background, heh...
Only 2 versions for it. Either Super Metroid one or just him flying in.
Metroid Prime 3 did that as well by making Meta Ridley appear out of the shadows on Norion :)
I think the only plausible intro we could get is something like in Smash Bros 4's boss Ridley, where he flies up from the bottom of the screen in the background and lands in the foreground.
Thats the more logical one to use, but Super Metroid version still can be done with Ridley instead being invisible like he actually was until he opens his eyes by using Snake's coding on his entry animation.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if anything of the sort has been mentioned yet, since I haven't really been keeping up, but what if you simply replaced the centurions with fireballs or something? Instead of flying at players they could simply just explode and deal AoE damage as soon as they reach the stage.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if anything of the sort has been mentioned yet, since I haven't really been keeping up, but what if you simply replaced the centurions with fireballs or something? Instead of flying at players they could simply just explode and deal AoE damage as soon as they reach the stage.
They will still move, stop and charge no matter what i will do with them.
will your profile picture be a costume?
Only as a separate mod. Model for it is done, but changes are so minor its not really an alt and more like one of Pikachu/Jigglypuff/Pichu's recolors.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Only 2 versions for it. Either Super Metroid one or just him flying in.

Thats the more logical one to use, but Super Metroid version still can be done with Ridley instead being invisible like he actually was until he opens his eyes by using Snake's coding on his entry animation.
Speaking of intros, have the victory poses/animations been thought of? If they haven't, I'm afraid I must ''insist'' that one of them involves Ridley holding the Infant Metroid in a capsule in his right arm (with Ridley staring menacingly at the Metroid or with curiosity), and then he flies off out of sight!
I think every Smash character has 2 or 3 victory poses, but I can't think of anything else that's good... maybe another one could have Ridley's eyes glowing brightly while his entire body starts turning invisible, and his eyes are the last things that remain visible before they also disappear?

Losing pose... should he even clap? Can Ridley even be considered honorable enough to do that? He's always tried underhanded sneak attacks on Samus in his battles, and tried to kill her when she was a child. I picture him more as a sore loser.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Speaking of intros, have the victory poses/animations been thought of? If they haven't, I'm afraid I must ''insist'' that one of them involves Ridley holding the Infant Metroid in a capsule in his right arm (with Ridley staring menacingly at the Metroid or with curiosity), and then he flies off out of sight!
I think every Smash character has 2 or 3 victory poses, but I can't think of anything else that's good... maybe another one could have Ridley's eyes glowing brightly while his entire body starts turning invisible, and his eyes are the last things that remain visible before they also disappear?

Losing pose... should he even clap? Can Ridley even be considered honorable enough to do that? He's always tried underhanded sneak attacks on Samus in his battles, and tried to kill her when she was a child. I picture him more as a sore loser.
Victory animations have been thought of. If size limitations will allow it, Metroid capsule will be included and i already made model for it once, so, capsule itself with Metroid in it is possible to do. If size limitations will say nope, then he will just land, sit down like he does in Super Metroid and just sit without disappearing. 2 other victory poses will be more generic ones (Ridley roaring like he does in Other M for no reason other than to allow player to shoot a Super Missile at him and one takened out of SSB Crusade because it looks cool).

Well, he already has it:

He still claps and everything, but he isn't very happy about it. But oh wait, he doesn't becomes winner's b**** like he does in SSB4!

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Victory animations have been thought of. If size limitations will allow it, Metroid capsule will be included and i already made model for it once, so, capsule itself with Metroid in it is possible to do. If size limitations will say nope, then he will just land, sit down like he does in Super Metroid and just sit without disappearing. 2 other victory poses will be more generic ones (Ridley roaring like he does in Other M for no reason other than to allow player to shoot a Super Missile at him and one takened out of SSB Crusade because it looks cool)!
Glad to hear you're one step ahead of us. Currently, of all the villains in Smash, I think Mewtwo is the only one that leaves the victory screen (gives the impression he couldn't care less about the ''appropriate victory ceremonies''). If Ridley were to leave the screen with the Infant Metroid, it'll give the impression he came to kick everyone's asses simply to get his hands on the last Metroid, and flies off to Zebes to begin mass production.

I had assumed Ridley's generic Other M roar (where he allows players to use Super Missiles on him) was going to be one of his taunts during battle.

His losing pose is perfect. The fact that he looks away from the victor throughout most of the animation is truly fitting for Ridley. Whenever his head shakes furiously, it makes me think he wants to kill the victor! It'd be neat if a bit of smoke would leave his mouth whenever he shook in anger, but then again, Ridley shouldn't have such a unique losing pose from everyone else. Anyways, a terrific job as always BaganSmashBros.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Glad to hear you're one step ahead of us. Currently, of all the villains in Smash, I think Mewtwo is the only one that leaves the victory screen (gives the impression he couldn't care less about the ''appropriate victory ceremonies''). If Ridley were to leave the screen with the Infant Metroid, it'll give the impression he came to kick everyone's ***** simply to get his hands on the last Metroid, and flies off to Zebes to begin mass production.

I had assumed Ridley's generic Other M roar (where he allows players to use Super Missiles on him) was going to be one of his taunts during battle.

His losing pose is perfect. The fact that he looks away from the victor throughout most of the animation is truly fitting for Ridley. Whenever his head shakes furiously, it makes me think he wants to kill the victor! It'd be neat if a bit of smoke would leave his mouth whenever he shook in anger, but then again, Ridley shouldn't have such a unique losing pose from everyone else. Anyways, a terrific job as always BaganSmashBros.
Well, if it will be possible to add capsule without facing size limitations, then he will fly off into the screen like he does in Super Metroid, but without going far into the background to avoid noticable clipping.

Its too long for a taunt, so, i used one of the attack roars instead because those are long enough anyway.

One of the victory animations are done:
http://www.4shared.com/video/AGqFd8mYce/bandicam_2015-01-02_00-28-19-6.html
This is a video and you don't have to download it. I just can't access youtube right now for whatever reasons. Sorry for the glitched up portrait and i don't know how to replace this "Pit" name with one i need because this one is located outside of common5 file, but i don't where. Head will be fixed later.

I encountered something really annoying - when Ridley is supposed to generate a fireball, game crashes. I tested this coding with Pit and it went as it should and the only problems were that it went up, could still be angled, moved at high speed and it was Pit instead of Ridley. For now, this special will not be touched and only half of it will be done. What do i mean by that? If button A is tapped before he fully steps back, he will instead use firebreath that can't be reflected or absorbed. Fire will have sourspot on the edges and will have higher knockback and damage than fireballs, but range will be more limited. In the air, it will be angled diagonally down. Until crashing issue will be fixed, it will be set as default one without having to press A button to avoid accidentaly crashing the game while using other specials. I don't know will it be useful outside of punishing those who just waits to reflect fireballs, but it will come out quickly (5-7 frames), so, it will be hard to react to quickly.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Well, if it will be possible to add capsule without facing size limitations, then he will fly off into the screen like he does in Super Metroid, but without going far into the background to avoid noticable clipping.

Its too long for a taunt, so, i used one of the attack roars instead because those are long enough anyway.

This is a video and you don't have to download it. I just can't access youtube right now for whatever reasons. Sorry for the glitched up portrait and i don't know how to replace this "Pit" name with one i need because this one is located outside of common5 file, but i don't where. Head will be fixed later.

I encountered something really annoying - when Ridley is supposed to generate a fireball, game crashes. I tested this coding with Pit and it went as it should and the only problems were that it went up, could still be angled, moved at high speed and it was Pit instead of Ridley. For now, this special will not be touched and only half of it will be done. What do i mean by that? If button A is tapped before he fully steps back, he will instead use firebreath that can't be reflected or absorbed. Fire will have sourspot on the edges and will have higher knockback and damage than fireballs, but range will be more limited. In the air, it will be angled diagonally down. Until crashing issue will be fixed, it will be set as default one without having to press A button to avoid accidentaly crashing the game while using other specials. I don't know will it be useful outside of punishing those who just waits to reflect fireballs, but it will come out quickly (5-7 frames), so, it will be hard to react to quickly.
Dat remix tho

latinking

Smash Apprentice
I take it back, that generic roar is more than impressive for a victory pose. I'm very glad that you changed his victory theme as well.
I wish you best of luck involving the fireball problem.

Earlier on in this thread, you mentioned that depending on what character we use as a base in order to create a new fighter, we can only get, as a moveset, what the original character had (for example, Lucario had a command grab, thus it was somewhat possible to give Ridley a command grab before). I came across a mod that gives Ganondorf a projectile move that replaces his Neutral B (video below). I apologize if my question is a bit off topic, but do you know how this was made possible considering the fact that he had no projectile in his original moveset? The reason why I'm asking is to get some insight on why your Ridley mod has come across a few limitation problems while the Ganondorf mod below was given something that his base did not have, such as a projectile? Again, sorry if this is not only off topic, but if it's also out of your expertise.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aivsh5Icphcc (Ganondorf's projectile at 44 seconds)

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Dat remix tho
I don't know the name of the person who composed the remix, but I remember hearing it for the first time in Gametrailers' Metroid Retrospective, which I recommend to all Metroid fans, as it covers every game except Other M (thankfully) and the entire story of the series, including Samus' past. The retrospective was made in anticipation to Prime 3 Corruption's release.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
I take it back, that generic roar is more than impressive for a victory pose. I'm very glad that you changed his victory theme as well.

Earlier on in this thread, you mentioned that depending on what character we use as a base in order to create a new fighter, we can only get, as a moveset, what the original character had (for example, Lucario had a command grab, thus it was somewhat possible to give Ridley a command grab before). I came across a mod that gives Ganondorf a projectile move that replaces his Neutral B (video below). I apologize if my question is a bit off topic, but do you know how this was made possible considering the fact that he had no projectile in his original moveset? The reason why I'm asking is to get some insight on why your Ridley mod has come across a few limitation problems while the Ganondorf mod below was given something that his base did not have, such as a projectile? Again, sorry if this is not only off topic, but if it's also out of your expertise.

I can't watch the video, but it's either a fake projectile or a Ganondorf mod that used another character as the base. You just attach an object to one of the character's bones and move it to simulate a projectile.

Since the fake projectile is attached to the character, flipping the character with Mario's cape will also flip the projectile, moving the character around will also move the projectile, you can't do any other thing while using the move that fires the projectile since otherwise the fake projectile would also disappear and so on.

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman

Regarding the name issue, you'll need to use an Ocarina code. This should fix it: 044565BC 8059E060. It changes the value in the result name pointer table from a pointer to Pit to a pointer to Ridley's display name for boss battles.

EDIT: added a quick explanation.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

I can't watch that video. If it is Brawl- Ganondorf, then he just spawns super scope shot that doesn't actually comes out of his first and instead goes from the center of his body. If Triforce Ganondorf one, then its not a true projectile. There also was another Ganondorf mod that uses Lucario as a base.

Regarding the name issue, you'll need to use an Ocarina code. This should fix it: 044565BC 8059E060. It changes the value in the result name pointer table from a pointer to Pit to a pointer to Ridley's display name for boss battles.

EDIT: added a quick explanation.
I'll try it. Unless it can't be used in RSBE01.gct file because then its useless.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
I can't watch that video. If it is Brawl- Ganondorf, then he just spawns super scope shot that doesn't actually comes out of his first and instead goes from the center of his body. If Triforce Ganondorf one, then its not a true projectile. There also was another Ganondorf mod that uses Lucario as a base.

I'll try it. Unless it can't be used in RSBE01.gct file because then its useless.
Oh, it works in RSBE01.gct. Let me know if you have issues with it so that I can fix it.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Lookin' really good! Like some of the moves that have been developed. I'm especially glad to see that Side B in action (It's replacing the wind special?).

...But, of course, I have some criticisms. Who wouldn't? We're arrogant like that. :p

My primary one is Ridley's Up Smash, that "wing sandwich" thing... I can't stand it. It's just ugly. Charizard's wing thrust is odd too, but it's a UTilt and fills out and you can see the exertion in Charizard's attack. With Ridley though the move emphasizes the flatness of the wings which simply doesn't convey the assumed power of the attack. Ridley looks really robotic during the animation as well.

I suggest making the fire breath U-Tilt the new Up Smash. Sure Samus covers the flame projection Up Smash area, but I don't think that matters much. You could possibly go a step further and extend the range of the flame depending on how long the player holds the charge.

As for the U-Tilt, how about a wing attack? ...Wait a minute...
Heh, how about using the clawed "thumb" of Ridley's wing as an attack? He could hunch over quickly and arch his wings overhead without extending them. Perhaps it's achieved by him quickly supporting himself by placing a palm on the ground as he hunches over and angles the claws to slice the air.

And if that idea for a U-Tilt doesn't pass, There's always the tail again. A quick swipe or even a snake-like upwards strike could suffice. But frankly I'll take anything if it means not using that wing Up Smash. Honestly I believe almost anything is better.

That's about it. Well, I would also suggest working on giving some of Ridley's animations more flavor, making sure they're lively and organic as possible. As often as possible he should be moving and behaving like a ferocious dragon pirate and a 3D animated model as little as possible. Some cuts of speed in his animations wouldn't hurt either. Not necessarily to speed up his offense as I understand what you're going for. But Ridley can fight slowly and doesn't have to feel like molasses with each action. Staggering between quick motions and gentler wind ups and cool down may help. Animations that are steady from almost start to finish aren't typically organic.

I'm sure you understand a lot of this of course, and some of it will definitely look better in a proper video. But I think it still needs to be said. I don't think it all needs to be addressed immediately though unless it would affect character balance or other properties. I assume just getting the moves to work is most important at this stage.

Again, great job, keep it up, looking forward to the finished product. :)

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Lookin' really good! Like some of the moves that have been developed. I'm especially glad to see that Side B in action (It's replacing the wind special?).

...But, of course, I have some criticisms. Who wouldn't? We're arrogant like that. :p

My primary one is Ridley's Up Smash, that "wing sandwich" thing... I can't stand it. It's just ugly. Charizard's wing thrust is odd too, but it's a UTilt and fills out and you can see the exertion in Charizard's attack. With Ridley though the move emphasizes the flatness of the wings which simply doesn't convey the assumed power of the attack. Ridley looks really robotic during the animation as well.

I suggest making the fire breath U-Tilt the new Up Smash. Sure Samus covers the flame projection Up Smash area, but I don't think that matters much. You could possibly go a step further and extend the range of the flame depending on how long the player holds the charge.

As for the U-Tilt, how about a wing attack? ...Wait a minute...
Heh, how about using the clawed "thumb" of Ridley's wing as an attack? He could hunch over quickly and arch his wings overhead without extending them. Perhaps it's achieved by him quickly supporting himself by placing a palm on the ground as he hunches over and angles the claws to slice the air.

And if that idea for a U-Tilt doesn't pass, There's always the tail again. A quick swipe or even a snake-like upwards strike could suffice. But frankly I'll take anything if it means not using that wing Up Smash. Honestly I believe almost anything is better.

That's about it. Well, I would also suggest working on giving some of Ridley's animations more flavor, making sure they're lively and organic as possible. As often as possible he should be moving and behaving like a ferocious dragon pirate and a 3D animated model as little as possible. Some cuts of speed in his animations wouldn't hurt either. Not necessarily to speed up his offense as I understand what you're going for. But Ridley can fight slowly and doesn't have to feel like molasses with each action. Staggering between quick motions and gentler wind ups and cool down may help. Animations that are steady from almost start to finish aren't typically organic.

I'm sure you understand a lot of this of course, and some of it will definitely look better in a proper video. But I think it still needs to be said. I don't think it all needs to be addressed immediately though unless it would affect character balance or other properties. I assume just getting the moves to work is most important at this stage.

Again, great job, keep it up, looking forward to the finished product. :)
Yes, it replaces wind gust special.

Its based off SSB Crusade Ridley's Up Smash and works well in that game. I think making wings face the camera/background like in previous version would make it look better. But since it also fails to work properly sometimes, it may require getting replaced. I could reuse previous version's UTilt as new UTilt and current one as Up Smash, but maybe later.

That will be done later, when i will be sure that size limitations won't get in the way like they did in previous version. Right now, its important to get all animations working and fitting in those limitations.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
...I already did that. I posted it somewhere between 10th and 13th page and on OP.
Speaking of videos, when do you plan on releasing a new video showcasing Ridley's move-set? (IE: Showing us Ridley's new Down B in action along with his new Side B in action against a level 9 AI opponent.)
I'd also like to suggest that the OP needs more updating it still has some of the animations you planned on implementing for Ridley's move-set when he was over Lucario. Or are some of those animations still planned on being implemented?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Speaking of videos, when do you plan on releasing a new video showcasing Ridley's move-set? (IE: Showing us Ridley's new Down B in action along with his new Side B in action against a level 9 AI opponent.)
I'd also like to suggest that the OP needs more updating it still has some of the animations you planned on implementing for Ridley's move-set when he was over Lucario. Or are some of those animations still planned on being implemented?
This will be done once get hit and ledge animations will be done because i can't show him suddenly bending into a mess because he still has Lucario's unedited animations.
I updated it to have most of the recent changes. They are still planned on being implemented.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Yes, it replaces wind gust special.

Its based off SSB Crusade Ridley's Up Smash and works well in that game. I think making wings face the camera/background like in previous version would make it look better. But since it also fails to work properly sometimes, it may require getting replaced. I could reuse previous version's UTilt as new UTilt and current one as Up Smash, but maybe later.

That will be done later, when i will be sure that size limitations won't get in the way like they did in previous version. Right now, its important to get all animations working and fitting in those limitations.
Ah. It probably works 'cause it's a moved designed for a 2D game. Actually I suspect I wouldn't like it even in that game. But that's me. Either way here's hoping you do replace it. :p

And yeah I figured that stuff wasn't a priority at the moment. But thanks for the quick response.

...Oh yeah, Ridley's big fireball? Whenever you get around it, make sure the impact explosion properly suits the size of the attack. I'm sure that'll be done later though. And that I know it can be done, because a long time I go I scripted a certain Brawl character to explode tremendously, so I know the graphic is there.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ah. It probably works 'cause it's a moved designed for a 2D game. Actually I suspect I wouldn't like it even in that game. But that's me. Either way here's hoping you do replace it. :p

And yeah I figured that stuff wasn't a priority at the moment. But thanks for the quick response.

...Oh yeah, Ridley's big fireball? Whenever you get around it, make sure the impact explosion properly suits the size of the attack. I'm sure that'll be done later though. And that I know it can be done, because a long time I go I scripted a certain Brawl character to explode tremendously, so I know the graphic is there.
No, its just angled properly in it.

That big fireball is no longer available because base character was replaced (now its just 5 smaller fireballs) and i couldn't add large explosion that was in previous version because projectile terminated itself before it could spawn an explosion. Its a lot easier to code character itself than articles that character has because most of those's code is scripted in such way they can't be edited by just modders.

Last edited:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Now that it was mentioned, I've also thought that the Up-Smash needed adjustments because it looks really stiff...

Maybe Ridley making a short hop and extending his wings after clapping them together would make a better looking animation, especially if it were to be fastened overall, because it looks a little bit sluggish atmo.

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
My bad for not getting back to you on Ridley. I'll try and finish the code today.

It was for his Aerial Side Special, right? You don't want him able to do Up Special or Side Special again, correct?

Do you want the command for Up Special to go to Up Aerial and Side Special to go to Fair? (after doing the Aerial Side Special, of course).

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
My bad for not getting back to you on Ridley. I'll try and finish the code today.

It was for his Aerial Side Special, right? You don't want him able to do Up Special or Side Special again, correct?

Do you want the command for Up Special to go to Up Aerial and Side Special to go to Fair? (after doing the Aerial Side Special, of course).
After thinking about it, i want him to be unable to use Side and Up specials after using Side special in the air. All aerials should remain intact. Both versions of side specials should just go into falling state. Up Special is already coded as it should be, so, don't touch it.

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
After thinking about it, i want him to be unable to use Side and Up specials after using Side special in the air. All aerials should remain intact. Both versions of side specials should just go into falling state. Up Special is already coded as it should be, so, don't touch it.
That doesn't really answer my question lol

What I'm saying is this:

1. Do Side Special in the Air
2. You can't use Up Special or Side Special again (until you touch the ground)
3. When you input the command for Up Special or Side Special, what will Ridley do? Will he not do anything?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
That doesn't really answer my question lol

What I'm saying is this:

1. Do Side Special in the Air
2. You can't use Up Special or Side Special again (until you touch the ground)
3. When you input the command for Up Special or Side Special, what will Ridley do? Will he not do anything?
Yes. Absolutely nothing will happen. Like it already is with Up Special.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
If I remember correctly, Sonic's Up B only stops him from using his Up B again. Having one move disabling two moves completely is pretty jarring for new players that pick him up.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
If I remember correctly, Sonic's Up B only stops him from using his Up B again. Having one move disabling two moves completely is pretty jarring for new players that pick him up.
Well, considering how good both recoveries are and how useful air jumps are, new players won't need using more than 1 of them without getting hit, resetting those specials. And doesn't it disables all specials for Sonic?
EDIT: it does.

Last edited:

Yeller1999

Smash Journeyman
ok so now that i get to thinking about this i can't wait for this mod to be done and i do like pit but i know i will like Ridley more and today is my birth day and i don't have any plans to celebrate it unfortunately although i suspect my family and friends are planning something

MetaKnight956

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2981-7717-3785
Could you change the used character from Pit to a less-used character like Olimar (Unless it would take too much coding)? Pit's my main.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Could you change the used character from Pit to a less-used character like Olimar (Unless it would take too much coding)? Pit's my main.
Creating new characters suffers more limitations than one might assume. Using Pit as a base he can give Ridley projectiles since Pit has a projectile himself and it's not possible to add completely new ones.

I think if he used Olimar as a base, Pikmin would follow Ridley inevitably, lol.

He's not using Pit because he wants to replace him. He's using him because he provides a good base for Ridley.

MetaKnight956

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2981-7717-3785
Creating new characters suffers more limitations than one might assume. Using Pit as a base he can give Ridley projectiles since Pit has a projectile himself and it's not possible to add completely new ones.

I think if he used Olimar as a base, Pikmin would follow Ridley inevitably, lol.

He's not using Pit because he wants to replace him. He's using him because he provides a good base for Ridley.
Oh, ok.

Top Bottom