• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

WEK-Sector Pirate

Smash Apprentice
Most likely yes. Super Metroid colors are his default color, but skin looks more purple than in SM.
ok, I just wanted to see if that was going to be a thing, also do you think that when this comes out, people like nanobubs will make custom models for it? what would you like to see as custom models for your creation?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
ok, I just wanted to see if that was going to be a thing, also do you think that when this comes out, people like nanobubs will make custom models for it? what would you like to see as custom models for your creation?
Meta Ridley, original Other M Ridley or classic Ridley.
...From the taunt video or OP video?
OP video.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Good news. Porting is done (well, CODING porting is done at least - soundbank still needs to be adapted to Pit's and CSPs, CSSs, etc. need to be ported too) and now im testing new Down B (Varia Ridley*)'s coding:

Right now only head reflects projectiles. Thats weird. If you think that dark aura is out-of-place, then you didn't payed attention to Ridley when he is in this state - there is some kind of aura around his chest area. Instead of using common darkness graphic, i used aura GFX used on Beast Ganon's paws/feet.

* - Varia Ridley (name takened out of Other M's files, so, its official, just never named) is state of Other M Ridley during which he becomes faster and more powerful and also reflects projectiles except for Super Missiles. In other words, SSB4's Meta Ridley, but with skin that reflects most of projectiles.

Last edited:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Once again good job!

By the way, I was wondering if Ridley's jump animation could be changed so he'd turn his torso slightly to the right, making him do this pose:
http://i.imgur.com/qW2FD.jpg
I think it looks more intimidating but that's just a little suggestion.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So his down b buffs him significantly? isn't that a tad OP?
It isn't accurate to the source. Instead of making him faster, it instead makes him slower. That buff only gives him reflective skin and light armor while slowing him down by 30% for 7 seconds (it also will completly disable L-Cancelling). While applying this buff, he is left vulrenarble for long enough to reverse Falcon Punch him or use that Ganondorf Sword Taunt. Buff will still remain once he starts flapping wings, so, hitting him won't prevent him from gaining it. This makes this special useful only if opponent has fast, but weak attacks (which would not stop Ridley's attacks when in this state, but will still deal damage) or a lot of projectiles (so, Samus is pretty much f***ed).
Uses another source now.
That pose looks better. I will use it.

WEK-Sector Pirate

Smash Apprentice
All of them are already done:

Only stock icons remaim. Thanks to Solbliminal for CSS icon. For better view of it, open this:

Sounds better. Echo isn't noticable in this one. Thanks for it.

I realized i went out of order with Down Smash (i should have done Up Smash instead), but anyway, it now needs some more testing to balance its strength.
I know this sounds REALLY weird but could you post the image of the ridley icon when you go to select him please?
I am installing another ridely mod to tide me over and it does not have a project m version of the icon

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
thanks, and I have this concept for a more classic-looking Ridley with good proportions(please excuse the god-awful quality).

http://postimg.org/image/cu7mh14an/
Looks like Other M Concept Art one, but with longer body and shorter arms...I had better one with only issue being wings' size and tail's length:
http://green-mamba.deviantart.com/art/Metroid-25th-RIDLEY-251219608

Down B coding is now complete and fully functional. Im not sure will it remain if he is thrown though. Either way, if you see him use it, don't use a weak attack and instead use strongest attack character has, even if it is a reversed falcon punch or Ganondorf's sword taunt. If you will use weak attacks, he will not flinch (unless Ridley took enough damage and attack used doesn't has a fixed knockback) and will still take damage, but strong attack will deal both damage and knockback. Super armor (i said it was light armor, but then found out that even tilts could make him flinch, which makes it pretty much useless since nearly no one uses jabs, the only attacks that wouldn't make him flinch) Ridley has works based on knockback of the attack, so, it will fail to work if he is damaged enough. Until then, even some of the smash attack will fail to deal knockback (smash attacks like Samus' DSmash still can make him flinch on 0%) until he takes enough damage.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
With both Lucario and Pit's coding, such complex command grab won't be possible unless character is over PM Bowser or Diddy Kong. And since new base is Pit, any command grabs are impossible. But idea with SSBB Ridley's tail attack...i don't know. Ridley already has attack with similar purpose (Up B) and it is more safe. It won't be hard to animate, but it feels redundant.
I see. A shame none of those classic Ridley grabs can be used. About SSBB Ridley's tail attack, it was my least enthusiastic idea, so no major loss bout that move going unused. I had completely mistaken your Ridley's Up B for another move I had seen in your Showcase video. I had thought his Up B was going to be the one where Ridley goes straight up into the air from the ground. Now that I know what's his Up B, the SSBB Ridley attack is VERY redundant indeed.

About the new Down B, it's neat and original for a Smash game. I don't remember anyone in Smash games being able to activate a Super Armor mode outside of a Final Smash. However, you mentioned earlier that his movements will be slowed down by 30% when he triggers it. Is this slowdown strictly for his walking/running/jumping animations, or does it slowdown all of his attack animations as well? As for his ability to reflect projectiles, can Ridley alter the direction of the projectile by crouching and jumping? Being able to reflect them back at different angles would make it similar to the R-Button bubble shield, and may allow for interesting uses in 3 or 4 player matches.

As for his Final Smash, is it possible to program Ridley summoning Kraid from Melee (Brinstar Depths Kraid)? The final smash would consist of him rising up in the background from the bottom of the screen exactly like he rises in Melee, and then starts slashing the stage, damaging people on it. Or perhaps, if you wish to take advantage of Pit's Final Smash coding, instead of slashing he could start throwing his boomerang claws + belly spikes that would ''technically'' replace Pit's angels, but hopefully they can be made more useful than Pit's minions :D. If any of these two Final Smashes can be done, Ridley should be allowed to move around and attack normally (again, like Pit) so that he can take advantage of the chaos being caused by Kraid.
Honestly, it'd be quite a sight to see both pirate generals on screen helping each other take out their enemies. Though the Super Metroid Ridley-flying-towards-the-screen Final Smash idea is also a neat one I must admit.

And lastly, is it possible to animate Ridley's fireballs to shoot out of his mouth like the image below? It'd make for a nice visual effect.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I see. A shame none of those classic Ridley grabs can be used. About SSBB Ridley's tail attack, it was my least enthusiastic idea, so no major loss bout that move going unused. I had completely mistaken your Ridley's Up B for another move I had seen in your Showcase video. I had thought his Up B was going to be the one where Ridley goes straight up into the air from the ground. Now that I know what's his Up B, the SSBB Ridley attack is VERY redundant indeed.

About the new Down B, it's neat and original for a Smash game. I don't remember anyone in Smash games being able to activate a Super Armor mode outside of a Final Smash. However, you mentioned earlier that his movements will be slowed down by 30% when he triggers it. Is this slowdown strictly for his walking/running/jumping animations, or does it slowdown all of his attack animations as well? As for his ability to reflect projectiles, can Ridley alter the direction of the projectile by crouching and jumping? Being able to reflect them back at different angles would make it similar to the R-Button bubble shield, and may allow for interesting uses in 3 or 4 player matches.

As for his Final Smash, is it possible to program Ridley summoning Kraid from Melee (Brinstar Depths Kraid)? The final smash would consist of him rising up in the background from the bottom of the screen exactly like he rises in Melee, and then starts slashing the stage, damaging people on it. Or perhaps, if you wish to take advantage of Pit's Final Smash coding, instead of slashing he could start throwing his boomerang claws + belly spikes that would ''technically'' replace Pit's angels, but hopefully they can be made more useful than Pit's minions :D. If any of these two Final Smashes can be done, Ridley should be allowed to move around and attack normally (again, like Pit) so that he can take advantage of the chaos being caused by Kraid.
Honestly, it'd be quite a sight to see both pirate generals on screen helping each other take out their enemies. Though the Super Metroid Ridley-flying-towards-the-screen Final Smash idea is also a neat one I must admit.

And lastly, is it possible to animate Ridley's fireballs to shoot out of his mouth like the image below? It'd make for a nice visual effect.
Yeah. It would be a nice and unique special.

It slows down every animation other than taunt animations and standing animations. This is to prevent this special from being to useful. Without it, there wouldn't be any reason to not use it all of the time. It won't really be an issue if this is used correctly. It reflects projectile back at opponent, but angle can't be altered from that. So, if projectile comes from above, it will bounce up. If from below, it will go down. I can't make it do it any other way. And doesn't Perfect Shield reflects projectiles in the same way?

His model's file size is too large to use and quality on the only existing model is pretty low (there are a lot of gaps and some of the textures aren't properly applied), so, he can't be used either way. Im still not sure about what is going to be Final Smash and that flying-into-screen attack have its own problems (it would be guaranteed to hit only by slowing down time because opponent would be able to get out of stun or burried state faster than Ridley could hit them properly and those 2 states affect only ground targets, but how exactly would Ridley be able to slow time and even if fixed, range on this attack would be pathetic). There is one more idea for that based off one attack from Other M that is rarely seen (and attack Queen Metroid uses if Samus fails to use grapple beam in time after it gets up), but would make a effective Final Smash and would be something taken from Metroid games too.

Those basically are Mario's fireballs, so, it is possible to replicate. I will have to add some extra details to make sure it won't look way too similar.

Last edited:

WEK-Sector Pirate

Smash Apprentice
Looks like Other M Concept Art one, but with longer body and shorter arms...I had better one with only issue being wings' size and tail's length:
http://green-mamba.deviantart.com/art/Metroid-25th-RIDLEY-251219608

Down B coding is now complete and fully functional. Im not sure will it remain if he is thrown though. Either way, if you see him use it, don't use a weak attack and instead use strongest attack character has, even if it is a reversed falcon punch or Ganondorf's sword taunt. If you will use weak attacks, he will not flinch (unless Ridley took enough damage and attack used doesn't has a fixed knockback) and will still take damage, but strong attack will deal both damage and knockback. Super armor (i said it was light armor, but then found out that even tilts could make him flinch, which makes it pretty much useless since nearly no one uses jabs, the only attacks that wouldn't make him flinch) Ridley has works based on knockback of the attack, so, it will fail to work if he is damaged enough. Until then, even some of the smash attack will fail to deal knockback (smash attacks like Samus' DSmash still can make him flinch on 0%) until he takes enough damage.
Thanks for taking time to look at it, and it seems like Ridley is shaping up to be a VERY formidable foe, might make falcondorf and Bowser quiver in their non-existent boots.

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
I have followed through the Ridley debate. I feel proud that someone else like Bagan is putting his soul into Ridley as a fighter. I can understand why you chose to make Ridley as big as Bowser to sacrifice some cannon for competition-based design.

I am sure that I can dream of Ridley being in Smash 5 as being the biggest fighter (2 times the height of Samus when standing upright and straight, and surpassing Bowser), but slightly agile with differing attack and defense styles on ground (slow, stronger, less knock-back/flinch) and air (faster, moderate, more knock-back/flinch)

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Thanks for taking time to look at it, and it seems like Ridley is shaping up to be a VERY formidable foe, might make falcondorf and Bowser quiver in their non-existent boots.
I didn't properly tested him against AI yet, so, he may not be any better than Falcondorf and Bowser. Theoretically, all it would take to beat him are good dodging skills and above average attack speed. And Falcondorf has boots.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Guys, I did it! I finished the Ridley mod!

:troll:

You may now be put at rest, Bagan.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Guys, I did it! I finished the Ridley mod!

:troll:

You may now be put at rest, Bagan.
The more I see this pic the more I think "why didn't Sakurai just make him playable?" All he has to do is make the wings and tail smaller and make Ridley a head and ahalf taller the samus and he's now playable.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The more I see this pic the more I think "why didn't Sakurai just make him playable?" All he has to do is make the wings and tail smaller and make Ridley a head and ahalf taller the samus and he's now playable.
He would also need a model with shaders that don't make it look like s**t and a mouth that opens LIKE AN ACTUAL MOUTH, not like...that. Oh, and beak bent downward because everyone would complain about duck face. I fixed all of that + wings' size.

Soundbank i made for Lucario is now adapted to Pit's and everything works as it should. Have this image for now:

Expect an update on Side B very soon. Most animations for it are complete, so, only coding and last animation remain.

WEK-Sector Pirate

Smash Apprentice
He would also need a model with shaders that don't make it look like s**t and a mouth that opens LIKE AN ACTUAL MOUTH, not like...that. Oh, and beak bent downward because everyone would complain about duck face. I fixed all of that + wings' size.

Soundbank i made for Lucario is now adapted to Pit's and everything works as it should. Have this image for now:

Expect an update on Side B very soon. Most animations for it are complete, so, only coding and last animation remain.
So does this mean we are reaching the final days of development, so my hype engines can detonate?

WEK-Sector Pirate

Smash Apprentice
Not even close. Majority of stuff is done, but there is at least over 40% not done yet, so, hype engines can cool down for now.
oh, ok then *shuts off hype engines* well at least progress is being made. though I remember you saying "I'd say January. There is still a lot of animations and bug fixing to be done." so did that mean the middle/end of January?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
oh, ok then *shuts off hype engines* well at least progress is being made. though I remember you saying "I'd say January. There is still a lot of animations and bug fixing to be done." so did that mean the middle/end of January?
Yes. Maybe even February. Most likely not. But i can say without any doubts that it will be before March.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist

Hey Bagan, in loving all th work you've done so far very exciting stuff!

One thing that has bothered me though is Ridley's eyes... I mean they look good but the pupils make it look like he is just staring into blank space lol.

I would suggest having no pupils, it would also make him look more bad-*** and more monstrous as well.

Just a super small nit-pick of mine. But again your work is amazing, if the pupils are as you meant than by all means keep them.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The thing is no matter how well made they are, they'll always have that effect. If you've ever stopped to actually look at Bowser (and by association Giga Bowser), they're almost never actually "looking" at anything so much as they are blankly staring in said direction.

Took this pic earlier to show what I mean.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
I think we might have forgotten the most important balance-related question:
Can Ridley taunt cancel his Neo-Ridley scream? If not, he's guaranteed trash tier.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I think we might have forgotten the most important balance-related question:
Can Ridley taunt cancel his Neo-Ridley scream? If not, he's guaranteed trash tier.
No. I need to make it interruptible since frame 1, ASAP. How could have i made such mistake?!

Side B done:
Ground version:

Aerial version:

Sorry for framerate, but i guess you can understand what happens. Aerial version originally was going to be exactly same, but he failed to change animation. Unlike Up B, it puts him into helpless state (only because i failed to make him be unable to use recovery specials after side B) unless he hits opponent (ground version only - aerial version always ends with helpless state).

Last edited:

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
No. I need to make it interruptible since frame 1, ASAP. How could have i made such mistake?!

Side B done:
Ground version:

Aerial version:

Sorry for framerate, but i guess you can understand what happens. Aerial version originally was going to be exactly same, but he failed to change animation. Unlike Up B, it puts him into helpless state (only because i failed to make him be unable to use recovery specials after side B) unless he hits opponent (ground version only - aerial version always ends with helpless state).
That seems to be a very good trade-off whether that difference was intentional or not.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion

Side B done:
Ground version:

Aerial version:

Looks good.The grounded version sending him so high to the air looks to be an excellent way for it to end for Ridley(where he is strongest.)

Top Bottom