• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Underused Characters

Pretty In Pink

Smash Cadet
Hey guys its me Pretty in Pink and I love using underused characters! I love using Ganondorf, Zelda, Sheik, Pit, and Jiggly! They look awesome and are really cool. First, I thought Pit was really used a lot so I didn't use him but according to the Character Rankings he's not so its okay to use him right? Why don't people use him?

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
For one, you shouldn't base whether or not it's "ok" to use a character based off of how popular or not they are.

Two, I'm not sure about Pit's deal. I'll let someone else answer that for you.

fissionprime

Smash Apprentice
you really shouldnt base what characters you use on how much they are used, and this probably should go in general brawl discussion.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
k pit is used alot in beginning when the game came out. because he was new so pretty much every new character got hype. pit stuck out as broken to some. although i always felt that way about metaknight (but at the time i though snake sucked lol) so many people used him. then later they got bored and branched out

heres some ancient threads. please dont revive them
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=201688
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196857
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=144424(the original made in 2/14)

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Use whoever you want. If you feel like using overused characters like MK or Snake, why not? Pit is kind of in the middle - not overused, not so underused that you never see him..

Tamoo

Smash Master
Ive never thought of pit as underused,i mean, i go to monthly tournaments and out of approximately 30 people, two of them main pit and i sometimes bring out pit as my secondary when someone counterpicks my olimar with a stage like frigate or Rainbow cruise.

Ive always thought of fox as underused. He has the ability to cause real problems with his combo ability and nerfed shine,

Meh, i dont think characters should be picked by how used they are, whether its overused or underused. Unless you have the actual ability to go to tournaments and regularly compete with the best with underused characters, you should choose your char based on style, ie. defensive- olimar ftw!

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Hey guys its me Pretty in Pink and I love using underused characters! I love using Ganondorf, Zelda, Sheik, Pit, and Jiggly! They look awesome and are really cool. First, I thought Pit was really used a lot so I didn't use him but according to the Character Rankings he's not so its okay to use him right? Why don't people use him?
Typical.
Anyway, if you want to use the character use it, don't worry if people like or dislike said character, or even if said character is over/underused, just play it.
Pit is a decent character; good weight, great recovery, spammy ranged attack, a reflector, and powerful moveset (Both land and aerials). What isn't to like? Though, his is in the middle of played characters. Not underused, but not overused.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Fox is underused because he got nerfed like crazy. >_>
I like Fox though, his play style intrigues me.

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
First, I thought Pit was really used a lot so I didn't use him but according to the Character Rankings he's not so its okay to use him right? Why don't people use him?
Why would you choose to play someone based on how much other people play them?

GofG

Smash Champion
I chose my character in Brawl based on how easy it was for me to play that character at a tournament level.

Because this is Smashboards, not letsplaybrawl.com.

**** you 2008ers.

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
People who go on about picking underused characters tend to be looking for ready-made johns. "my character is low-tier, so thats why you won". Just play whatever character you can win most efficiently with.

GodotAA

Smash Ace
lol some of those old pit thread make me laugh especially the first one.

But yea use who you want to use. I just happened to pick metaknight as my first character and as soon as i started to beat the people i play with regularly they started to complain. Soon after i decided to try and main new characters because of it only to find a lot of them not as fun or i just failed at playing them. An example for me is Zero Suit Samus, that's one character would like to play but I'm just bad with her.

Jsut find a playstyle that suits you and stick with it. I definantly lost some ground on my metaknight, which wasn't hard to make up, when i stopped playing him.

Cirno

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi is the king of underused and under rated.

He's as good as Diddy imo.

I see more Captain Falcon than Yoshi, who is also under rated, but not by too much.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ike. Why does everyone think that if you have a projectile, it's a 7-3 advantage against Ike? If you don't have Falco's laser or Olimar's pikmin, it's not nearly enough to change a match up more then .5 in your favor. Especially things like Luigi's fireball and Wolf's blaster, both can only have one shot out at a time. Say hello to powershielding and shieldwalking for me, your "advantage" just got nulled 90%. -_-

To think, people used to think he was OP'd....

Tamoo

Smash Master
Wow, u are lucky to have no marth mains in ur area, my area is full of them.
He's just the ultimate olimar gimper.
I never see ganondorf users but I can see why.
He's incredibly hard to get used to but its always hard to play against a good ganon cause of lack of matchup knowledge.
To be fair, Ike does get slightly screwed by any form of projectile but so does every slow projectileless character.
Of course shield walking will help to some extent but wolfs and luigis have other options than projectiles when it comes to it.
If it is clear projectiles arent working, there are other approaches they can use, whilst mixing in projectiles for best results.
The best of these characters rarely spam projectiles, even in matchups it will work in because they understand that other approaches would maybe work better.

FrozenHarpie

Smash Rookie
Since when does no one play Zelda?

Given, I've only played against ONE since I started playing online, and she obviously wasn't the guy's main...enh.

Zip.

Smash Lord
im starting to take a liking to pokemon trainer and Ganondorf a bit...xD

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Ice Climberz
Do you mean that they're the most underrated on the character boards or something? ._. IMO the ICs aren't underrated anymore (besides in Basic Brawl & Team Battle Wi-Fi) because you can see a lot of IC mains now. :/ Even my friends wanted to main them...

Well, I'll say it's Pokémon Trainer, Yoshi, or Sheik, 'cause I barely play any of those characters I said... mostly Pokémon Trainer though.

Tanuki

Smash Rookie
Yea IC's are coming into wide use mainly because of that cheap *** 'chain grab you to the edge and spike you' crap. as far as unused chars go id say pkmn trainer, yoshi and captain falcon . ive never fought a pkmn trainer online, and only once at a tournament. i only play my friends CF and will see one online once in a blue moon, as far as yoshi goes, hes just bad.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Zelda isnt underused...alot of pros use her as a secondary or play her for fun...shes too good

Now Lucas is underused....u hardly ever see him at tournies...but mostly online in FFA's and Team Battles.
And as of now there are no pro Lucas players...we have good ones but not at the pro level yet.

Bowser,Captain Falcon, Yoshi, Jigglypuff, Lucas, and Ganon are the most underused character IMO
Im not sure about Link, Samus, DK, and ZSS....i dont think alot of people play them either??

Peach and ICs are starting to come out of their shell...I see of alot of people playing them now
They both have hidden potential, a unique playstyle, and fun characters.
Everyone should try them out:)

Tamoo

Smash Master
Yea IC's are coming into wide use mainly because of that cheap *** 'chain grab you to the edge and spike you' crap. as far as unused chars go id say pkmn trainer, yoshi and captain falcon . ive never fought a pkmn trainer online, and only once at a tournament. i only play my friends CF and will see one online once in a blue moon, as far as yoshi goes, hes just bad.
Cheap?!
Dyou realise how much effort it takes to learn everysingle characters timing for that chain grab.
I dont think you can really say its cheap until you have fully mastered it.
Plus, the ICs need something going for them because overall, without their grab game, they wouldnt be any where near as strong.
Also, the ICs grab range is the shortest in the game if i remember correctly, and if not, amongst the worst, so its really up to you not to get grabbed.
If you do get grabbed, then you should prepare for the consequences.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Well, we all know CF isn't underused... XD
Ic's are gaining more popularity, but most people give up after they try CGing for a few minutes.

Tanuki

Smash Rookie
Cheap?!
Dyou realise how much effort it takes to learn everysingle characters timing for that chain grab.
I dont think you can really say its cheap until you have fully mastered it.
Plus, the ICs need something going for them because overall, without their grab game, they wouldnt be any where near as strong.
Also, the ICs grab range is the shortest in the game if i remember correctly, and if not, amongst the worst, so its really up to you not to get grabbed.
If you do get grabbed, then you should prepare for the consequences.
I never said it was easy to learn, but its still cheap, its sort of like falcos, chain grab them to the edge, then down spike them, i said that because every IC i play is the same, chain grab to the edge and spike, thats why it seems like alot of ppl are picking up the ice climbers, because of that one tactic, not to say thats the only reason people use ICs or that every ICs plays that way, im not crying about it or anything, im just throwing that out there. and if you can time your DI right, u can get out of it, but its not easy.

B0mbe1c:
Well, we all know CF isn't underused... XD

he seems under used in brawl, dont see alot of him at tournaments or on wifi, maybe its just me, but to say hes under used in melee wouldnt be a smart thing to say.

M@v

Subarashii!
Fox is underused because he got nerfed like crazy. >_>
I like Fox though, his play style intrigues me.
People need to learn just because his shine isnt broken anymore doesn't mean hes horrifically nerfed. Shine actually still has many uses(shine stalling, Spotdodge-shine, get off me attack, decent edgeguard, etc.) Yeah he got weakened a bit, but nowhere near as bad as most(Jigs, CF, Samus, Sheik, Etc.). The only people who were nerfed less than fox are falco and marth. Fox is about as good as wolf, just in different ways.

By the way, Upsmash says hi.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
People need to learn just because his shine isnt broken anymore doesn't mean hes horrifically nerfed. Shine actually still has many uses(shine stalling, Spotdodge-shine, get off me attack, decent edgeguard, etc.) Yeah he got weakened a bit, but nowhere near as bad as most(Jigs, CF, Samus, Sheik, Etc.). The only people who were nerfed less than fox are falco and marth. Fox is about as good as wolf, just in different ways.

but why does the brawl community ignore shiek... shes ridiculous >_>

shiek is extremely different from her melee counterpart, but most definitely high tier and has great matchups against other high and top tiers.
fox on the other hand......

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
I'm not bashing fox, just pointing out the obvious. I use him as my secondary, and he's fun to use.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Real question: Why is this in tactical?

Asking the OP's question so it fits better:

Who do you think is most underrepresented in tournaments, and does that affect character matchups as much as some people claim? (You'll have an easier time because no one knows how to fight Yoshi, etc.)

LinIsKorean

Smash Journeyman
I think Bowser is very under-represented, at least around here. I'm hoping to change that.

Anyways, choosing a character based on how many people use them seems wierd. I always choose my characters in fighting games based on who looks the coolest (dragons are too good) or playstyle. Some people choose there character so that they have the best chance of winning (some MK mains), and that's cool too. I'd rather be known for my favorite character than win a bunch of tourneys. It's weird, but hey, that's how I roll.

silver0p

Smash Journeyman
well i say if thats how you pick them then peace. i mean hey i use to do that when ever one of my friends is the same character as me i always feel compelled to change just to mix it up thats why i went from falco to sheik and man actaly im glad i did im 10 times better with sheik i love it haha

SCOTU

Smash Hero

It's not even the shine. Fox's movement (and therefore zoning) got totally nerfed. That did waaaay more than the shine nerf. Melee fox w/ brawl shine would still be good in melee (broken in brawl).

Top Bottom