• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Understanding Your Options: A Marth Guide to Playing Smart

-Red-

Smash Cadet
Very nice read!

One thing I like to do with Marth

Is just jab, and wait for them to run in and punish your lag, then punish in whatever way you see fit.

Most people will confuse the jab for a forward smash (I'm sure of you will say Oh thats stupid, but whatever) and run in and try hit you. It obv won't work more then a few times before they catch on but it's a nice thing for some free percent.

Just try it a few times before you knock it. +)

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
This is a great thread, thank you.
Keeping all options open, pressuring, and spacing are the bread and butter of Marth's playstyle.

IDK

Smash Lord
So, question about the edge, if I'm waiting out of their ledge attack and ledgehopped fair/nair range, crouched waiting to dtilt, and ready to jump and fair if they jump off, do they have any options that won't get them hit? (If they aren't falco) Because that's how I've been edgeguarding for a while, and it's pretty much flawless so far. Oh, and I don't dtilt every time, I do dancing blade too, and sometimes SHFF Nairs.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
they could just do a regular get up.

but yeah ledge traps are difficult to get out of. like i said it's all out-thinking your opponent

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Lol haven't seen this thread in awhile, ill give it a once over. Can't wait for the other thread Steel.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
its bump all my threads day, for refreshers and for the newcomers to the board.

some of this may be outdated, but its still good stuff nonetheless

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
No steel, its just so comprehensive that nobody has any questions about it, you made it so good that we have nothing to say except the oh-so repetitive "Great Guide!"

Is there anything we have that can go through falcos side-b? Ive Dair spiked it a few times, but the timing is strict and ive killed myself trying to spike it about 10x as many as actually spiking it. A ground move would be nice, cause i usually just walk/run to shield and either grab or f-tilt/smash, which works sometimes, its just not as consistent as i'd like it to be (i get hit with the illusion too often).

feardragon64

Smash Champion
It's definitely well written but ya, I'm pretty sure everyone was like just....**** I don't want to read that whole thing at once and think about what else to say right now at the time.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
Yea i understand what you mean fear, its just harder to break up into different threads because its all the same concept and it all goes together, especially if you're writing it all at once.
And thats our big problem isnt it? all these huge posts from Steel that everyone reads but nobody truly takes it all in.

Top Bottom