• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
spoiler alert: they’re not the only ones that break from what is popularized as the concept of time travel, they won’t be the last, and honestly their direction with it is better than a lot of ways people go about it

I could go on forever about it but I digress
@Megadoomer is right
Seriously, am I the only one who doesn't like this movie? Is there anyone else who thinks
the time travel falls apart under scrutiny and there were next to no actual hype moments and the depressing beginning didn't need to happen and that the truly heroic thing to do would have been to change history?
Please tell me I'm not alone!

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Seriously, am I the only one who doesn't like this movie? Is there anyone else who thinks
the time travel falls apart under scrutiny and there were next to no actual hype moments and the depressing beginning didn't need to happen and that the truly heroic thing to do would have been to change history?
You're probably not alone since million and millions of peoples saw that movie and there is probably atleast one other person out there on the internet that agree with you...

But here, yeah, don't expect alot of peoples agreeing with your points.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Okay, you don't know it's impossible. Who knows where science could eventually go.
No it's absolutely impossible.

The concept of time travel flies in the face of the laws of physics. For something to travel forward in time faster than one second per second, it would need to move faster than the speed of light. Given how the speed of light works, it's literally impossible for matter to go faster than the speed of light.

And going backwards in time is somehow even more impossible due to the same reason. You can't propel matter at less than the negative speed of light.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

The concept of time travel flies in the face of the laws of physics. For something to travel forward in time faster than one second per second, it would need to move faster than the speed of light. Given how the speed of light works, it's literally impossible for matter to go faster than the speed of light.

And going backwards in time is somehow even more impossible due to the same reason. You can't propel matter at less than the negative speed of light.
Can I add that it's a good thing that time travel can't exist irl?

Like, ****, if we can't do right in movies, can you just imagine the terrible and stupid stuff we could do with it?

That gave me shivers honestly.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

which is yet another thing that was avoided by the Endgame time travel mechanic, via quantum mechanics

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Guys, guys, you're forgetting black hole orbit time dilation.

It's an entirely different and far less useful variant of theoretical time travel than ANY fictional variant but you'd still -technically- be fast-forwarding time from your perspective.

So instead of figuring out how to crack reality into little itty bitty shards we just have to figure out how to make interstellar travel work somehow.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Decided that when I finish solar light today, I’ll try my hand at nuzlocking. Which I haven’t done in awhile. Going to give renegade platinum a try it seems fun

D

Deleted member

Btw it's Jojo Friday. This is especially important because we are getting close to the Seven Pages...

But what's more important is that @Shishœ has been pissed at Vento Aureo for 4 weeks in a row.

CAN WE MAKE IT FIVE
View attachment 221345
Gwen im gonna bop you in the head
Daddy Metal deserved better
Goth Daddy deserved better
**** that recap
Stands being the cause of an alien virus is still the stupidest ****ing thing

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Btw it's Jojo Friday. This is especially important because we are getting close to the Seven Pages...

But what's more important is that @Shishœ has been pissed at Vento Aureo for 4 weeks in a row.

CAN WE MAKE IT FIVE
View attachment 221345
I have to watch that...

Edit: both cutie honey and jojo

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Since time travel is being brought up I want to clarify how it works.

As some have mentioned time travel to the past is not possible. Time travels only in one direction and that direction is forward. Time travel to the future though is definitely possible. However, it works a bit differently than what you might normally expect. The concept was explained well by Einstein in his Special Theory of Relativity. Here he established the concept of time dilation. Time dilation is best explained with frames of reference. Imagine someone in a spaceship and someone observing the spaceship from the Earth. If the person inside the spaceship travels close to the speed of light (say 80% of it) to a nearby star and the trip takes them 5 years from Earth's frame of reference 8.33 years would have passed. So that means if we had both people, the one on Earth and the one on the ship be 30 years old, once the person on the ship returns they would be 35 while the one on Earth would be 38 or so. Or in other words, 8 years have passed on Earth by the time the person on the spaceship returns when compared to the 5 that did for the traveler. This difference of course is further increased the closer you travel to the speed of light. It is important to note that anything other than massless particles cannot travel at the speed of light.

For those curious the mathematical formula itself is:
t' = (t / sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2)))

t' would be the person on Earth's time
t would be the person on the ship's time
v would be velocity
c is the speed of light = 3.0 * 10^8 meters/second

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

As some have mentioned time travel to the past is not possible. Time travels only in one direction and that direction is forward. Time travel to the future though is definitely possible. However, it works a bit differently than what you might normally expect. The concept was explained well by Einstein in his Special Theory of Relativity. Here he established the concept of time dilation. Time dilation is best explained with frames of reference. Imagine someone in a spaceship and someone observing the spaceship from the Earth. If the person inside the spaceship travels close to the speed of light (say 80% of it) to a nearby star and the trip takes them 5 years from Earth's frame of reference 8.33 years would have passed. So that means if we had both people, the one on Earth and the one on the ship be 30 years old, once the person on the ship returns they would be 35 while the one on Earth would be 38 or so. Or in other words, 8 years have passed on Earth by the time the person on the spaceship returns when compared to the 5 that did for the traveler. This difference of course is further increased the closer you travel to the speed of light. It is important to note that anything other than massless particles cannot travel at the speed of light.

v would be velocity
That doesn’t explain how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop but it’s close enough, thank you

Cracke

Smash Journeyman

CAN WE MAKE IT FIVE
I have not really watched the anime recently, where is it at now? Is it after the Green Day arc?

D

Deleted member

cla: hey guys there are a bunch of guests stop seeming unapproachable
the thread:

v would be velocity

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
That doesn’t explain how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop but it’s close enough, thank you
As much as I've tried to figure it out in the lab, no amount of research has allowed me to figure that out. It shall forever be one of the greatest mysteries of nature.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
didnt know these were a thing.

Also staindgrey staindgrey shes in...
:p

Also I first read the title as mario plus resident evil and was about to be very intrigued lol

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Just played VR for the first time.
40637DB8-6821-4414-A051-6ACD5F33D046.jpeg

Although it was incredibly cheap, and there were loads of laziness hidden in plain sight, overall VR is amazing. It was a mental experince.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What the hell are you going on about? Everyone else has been corrupted, I was trying to save you the same fate?
Ohhh.. of course.. not. i aint gonna fall that easily.

v would be velocity
yes yes, very good observation..
except it doesnt take parallel universes into account. technically there's lots of possibilities there ;O

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I mostly liked the movie, but I would also never dislike a movie because the time travel falls apart. Time travel is impossible, so you can't make a perfect time travel movie. Also, if I went back in time and killed someone, it would literally change everything that ever interacted with that person. So for instance, if I died that means my family's memories would jut somehow vanish, and the car I bought wouldn't have driven on the roads I did, and I'd never interact with anyone so it doesn't really make any sense.

I had some serious issues with the movie, but I disagree highly with "next to no hype moments". There were MANY in my opinion.

I give it a 7/10 (I gave IW 9/10)

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
You don’t have to be heroic to change history. Changing history is what makes you heroic.

D

Deleted member

v would be velocity
Well, how does your "science" explain King Crimson then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom