• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I finally caved and I’m watching the original DragonBall. It’s entertaining. Not completely drawing me in. I’m a sucker for martial arts philosophy though so it’s starting to get me now that they’re training. Not entirely comfortable with how sexist it can be at times. Sometimes it’s so over the top that it’s rediculous but other times... well. Let’s just say you don’t make a good first impression when the first interaction between your main characters goes as follow.

Goku: You look like a human but scrawnier.
Bulma: That’s because I’m a girl!

That conversation echoes through the whole series as far as i’ve watched.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Kinda says a lot about our society when Pop Team Epic was the best anime of 2018.

View attachment 191492
Zombieland Saga says hi.

I finally caved and I’m watching the original DragonBall. It’s entertaining. Not completely drawing me in. I’m a sucker for martial arts philosophy though so it’s starting to get me now that they’re training. Not entirely comfortable with how sexist it can be at times. Sometimes it’s so over the top that it’s rediculous but other times... well. Let’s just say you don’t make a good first impression when the first interaction between your main characters goes as follow.

Welcome to 90% of the shounen anime.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

It's the 80's, in Japan.

Trust me, if you get offended by that, I can find much worse.

D

Deleted member

You say as if it's a bad thing that Pop Team Epic is the best anime of 2018.

It's a clear sign that we live in the best timeline.
Oh no, it is. After the 100s of many cliche and played out animes, you wonder why Osomatsu-san, Kemono Friends and Pop Team Epic are always considered "godlike".

Oh, that certainly is fightin' words to hundreds of thousands of people I'd wager.
They can also wager not having a Kirito bodypillow, 'cause they probably sure do. :dazwa:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Wait a minute, Devilman Crybaby was released in 2018, all your arguments are invalid.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I got to 9.8 with Incineorar before the Hands. I died a few times.

When I beat them the score didn't even move up.

My disappointment is immeasurable.
I hear ya buddy. Beating the Hands is significantly harder this time around (at least to me). In order to get to 9.9 intensity you have to beat them on your first try w/ around a 9.1 difficulty (at least).

And in most cases, you have to do it by yourself, unless the Classic Mode assigns you an ally.

I was barely able to beat both as :ultridley: (I was it like... 175% when I did it).

Shroob

Sup?
Please don’t. I’m not interested in seeing it get worse. I’m not even really offended. At least not in an angry way. More in an eye-rolling dissapointed with the species way.
You have to understand, it was a different era. It's been almost 40 years since the 80's.

Trust me, as someone who considers themselves not-PC in the slightest, times change.

NineS

Smash Lord
Oh no, it is. After the 100s of many cliche and played out animes, you wonder why Osomatsu-san, Kemono Friends and Pop Team Epic are always considered "godlike".

They can also wager not having a Kirito bodypillow, 'cause they probably sure do. :dazwa:
You lost me.
All I know is that anything with something as absurd as this,
d6e.gif
and has this reference:
rpg.gif

gets an A+ in my book.

Shroob

Sup?

The fact that a show about a closed down Gacha Game(kemono friends) is held in such high esteem will never not be strange to me.

The game was shut down because no one played it, and yet that's EXACTLY what the anime used as a plotline.

Is it dumb, or genius?

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Wait a minute, Devilman Crybaby was released in 2018, all your arguments are invalid.
That was an awful adaption lol

Ill never get over how much they ruined the jinmen fight
All the emotional impact from the manga is gone

The sirene fight was awful too

The character designs are an insult to Nagai already appealing designs from the manga as well

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You have to understand, it was a different era. It's been almost 40 years since the 80's.

Trust me, as someone who considers themselves not-PC in the slightest, times change.
I understand. If anything its just uncomfortable because a lot of people thought we were better than that in the 80s. For a while anyway. But turns out we weren’t. It makes me wonder how bad we’re gonna look right now in another 40 years. That I could actually be racist or sexist without knowing it and without even trying.

Shroob

Sup?
I understand. If anything its just uncomfortable because a lot of people thought we were better than that in the 80s. For a while anyway. But turns out we weren’t. It makes me wonder how bad we’re gonna look right now in another 40 years. That I could actually be racist or sexist without knowing it and without even trying.
Who's 'we'.

Because Japan couldn't have cared less about PC culture in the 80's, lol.

I mean, Kinnikuman had 3 main characters who boiled down to "Blackface Hawaiin guy, 'good' Nazi, and Native American Indian", and Dragon Ball has Mr.Popo.

And of course, ya know:

:124:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Pfft anime and manga are for weebs. That's why I don't watch or read any.

Now if you'll excuse me I've got to go study up on Zelda combos, I'm thinking about picking her up as a secondary.
:4pacman:

osby

Smash Obsessed
That was an awful adaption lol

Ill never get over how much they ruined the jinmen fight
All the emotional impact from the manga is gone

The sirene fight was awful too

The character designs are an insult to Nagai already appealing designs from the manga as well
I never read the original manga, so I can't say anything about it.

But I thought it was a great standalone product.

D

Deleted member

The fact that a show about a closed down Gacha Game(kemono friends) is held in such high esteem will never not be strange to me.

The game was shut down because no one played it, and yet that's EXACTLY what the anime used as a plotline.

Is it dumb, or genius?
Think of it this way. It was a purely innocent anime that a very small team made. No cliches, just all for the pure fun. Next thing you know, Kemono Friends became the most successful anime in recent memory, with now basically having the most viewed pilot episode of ALL TIME for any anime.

I think if anything, the only dumb thing here was Kadokawa firing the director and making a complete nosedive.

Shroob

Sup?
Think of it this way. It was a purely innocent anime that a very small team made. No cliches, just all for the pure fun. Next thing you know, Kemono Friends became the most successful anime in recent memory, with now basically having the most viewed pilot episode of ALL TIME for any anime.

I think if anything, the only dumb thing here was Kadokawa firing the director and making a complete nosedive.
I know that, I mean the plot.

The plot is literally "No one plays our game anymore"

That's kinda genius :dr^_^:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Who's 'we'.

Because Japan couldn't have cared less about PC culture in the 80's, lol.

I mean, Kinnikuman had 3 main characters who boiled down to "Blackface Hawaiin guy, 'good' Nazi, and Native American Indian", and Dragon Ball has Mr.Popo.

And of course, ya know:

:124:
Sure. Japan is as Japan does. But you also added the qualifier of “the 80s”. Which means that the 80s also has a non-PC problem. And that it was just worse in Japan.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Fair enough, though you'd admit it's a breath of fresh air from "demon manga" in Weekly Shonen Jump, right? It's not even a fighting manga...
True, it's premise is certainly unique.

Pfft anime and manga are for weebs. That's why I don't watch or read any.

Now if you'll excuse me I've got to go study up on Zelda combos, I'm thinking about picking her up as a secondary.
:4pacman:
Funny thing is, probably half of the "I don't watch anime" people actually watched Pokemon anime.

Shroob

Sup?
Sure. Japan is as Japan does. But you also added the qualifier of “the 80s”. Which means that the 80s also has a non-PC problem. And that it was just worse in Japan.
I mean I'm also not the one qualified to talk about this since I don't consider myself very PC to begin with

D

Deleted member

I know that, I mean the plot.

The plot is literally "No one plays our game anymore"

That's kinda genius :dr^_^:
Ah, true true. I see where you're comin' from now. Yeah, it is.

You know what else would be genius?

PANTY AND STOCKING SEASON 2, WHERE THE **** IS IT.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
True, it's premise is certainly unique.

Funny thing is, probably half of the "I don't watch anime" people actually watched Pokemon anime.
I never watched Pokémon. Couldn’t get into it. Even for an anime it looked poorly drawn.

I mean I'm also not the one qualified to talk about this since I don't consider myself very PC to begin with
A lot of “PC” dialogue is over excessive imo. As long as you’re not being a jerk, you’re probably fine. But if I tell you you hurt me in some way with what you’ve said. Just apologize and say you didn’t know because you probably didn’t do it on purpose. That’s all I ask. I’m not self-righteous about it. I just want people to be nice to people.

Unless you’re a Steve fan in which case you deserve to burn in the endless fires of hell.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Any currently-airing anime you are keeping up with? Kaguya-sama, anyone?

I personally haven't seen it yet. It's been on my "series I'll get to eventually" list.

Also I see you're a newbie to these forums. Have you had an official greeting by the great Noipoi Noipoi yet?
I have not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom