• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I bet my Eggman memes have made some peoples sick of him....

SIKE, no one can be sick of THE E.G.G.M.A.N.!!!
getaloadofthis.gif

Like look at those moves!:falconmelee::falconmelee::falconmelee:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Character 24's post is coming up. :p

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Ask and ye shall receive:

Now that you've seen that, here's something less terrifying.
There is some pretty terrifying -ettes out there. I will say though, I think some people underestimate how much heartwarming art is out there of this concept.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

#24 Lon'qu: Suffering in Solitude

image.png

Name: Lon'qu
Class: Myrmidon
Appears in: Fire Emblem Awakening, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Fire Emblem Heroes, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Trophy), Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Spirit)

At number twenty-four on my list, we have Lon'qu, Awakening's token dark and edgy Myrmidon in the vain of others like Navarre, Rutger, Karel, and Deen. Lon'qu joins Chrom's party at the end of chapter four at Arena Ferox. Impressed by Chrom's martial prowess, the West Khan Basilio offers his own champion to aid Chrom in the war effort. We immediately see that Lon'qu is stoic and a no-nonsense kind of guy with his character-establishing line, "He gives orders, I stab people. I think our roles are clear." However, when Lissa approaches him, he immediately tells her to step back, immediately making clear that Lon'qu has something against women.

This is actually a pretty interesting juxtaposition between Lon'qu and the character that inspired him, Navarre. Whereas Navarre has a code of honor to never turn his blade on a woman, Lon'qu seemingly avoids contact with them out of personal discomfort. The reason for this isn't immediately apparent, but through his support conversations, the truth comes to light.

In his supports with Cherche and Tharja, Lon'qu reveals that he grew up in the slums of Regna Ferox, presumably after immigrating from Chon'sin in Valm. While there, he grew close to a young girl his age, Ke'ri, presumably another Chon'sin immigrant. At one point, he and Ke'ri went on a picnic together, but were ambushed by bandits. These bandits killed Ke'ri, who took the brunt of the attack trying to save Lon'qu, and Lon'qu was powerless to stop them. Ke'ri's parents blamed him for her death, and Lon'qu fled the slums to hone his fighting skills at the Feroxi capital, fighting in duels to improve his swordsmanship. However, the incident also gave Lon'qu crippling post-traumatic stress in the form of a fear of women. His support with Panne even reveals he's kept awake by constant nightmares.

His gynophobia is often mistaken for misogyny, but Lon'qu doesn't intrinsically hate women, they're just his PTSD trigger. In the heat of combat and in life-or-death situations, he's able to suppress this instinctual repulsion, but in circumstances where his life isn't on the line, his condition debilitates him. In many cases, he has to speak to women from a distance to avoid discomfort, and is only ever able to help his condition by repeated exposure in his supports.

His support with Tharja offers him a way to eliminate his trauma, with Tharja offering to erase his memories of Ke'ri and his life before he fled the slums, but he declines, knowing that he'd be a different person entirely if she did so, as those memories were formative to who he is as a person. His support with Cherche, meanwhile, offers some closure on the Ke'ri situation. She tells him that she had met Ke'ri's parents while she was taking refuge in Regna Ferox, and that her parents no longer held ill will towards Lon'qu. After he had fled, they learned of how he tried to save her, and after finding their daughter's diary, they realized just how close the two of them were. Blaming themselves for forcing Lon'qu to flee, they felt immense regret.

Lon'qu also has a rather complex relationship with the West Khan of Regna Ferox, Basilio. Basilio had taken Lon'qu under his tutelage when the latter had fled to the capital, sensing a warrior's strength within him. Eventually Lon'qu had risen through the ranks and had become Basilio's champion and right hand man, but despite their closeness, Basilio also inadvertently represented an obstacle for Lon'qu. Basilio was the one man who he could never defeat in single combat. Never wanting to be overpowered by anyone again, eventually defeating Basilio had become a long time goal for Lon'qu.

This is showcased in his support with Gregor, who had once matched Basilio in combat and almost became the new West Khan. However, while Lon'qu wished to fight him, Gregor quickly overpowered him, with the latter recognizing Lon'qu's passion for overcoming Basilio clouding his focus.

This comes up again in his support with Olivia, another Feroxi character who served under Basilio as his court dancer. Basilio often performed a feat where he could cleave a vase of water in half without shattering the glass or spilling the water, resulting from years of practice and discipline. Noticing that Lon'qu was attempting the same trick with no success, Olivia offers her help in offering him some tips, since she'd seen Basilio do it so many times. After repeated attempts end only in failure, Lon'qu professes that he believes he'd never be worthy in Basilio's eyes, only for Olivia to reveal that Basilio spoke of Lon'qu's skill to no end, almost like a proud father would. Lon'qu takes this to heart, feeling more confident in himself.

His support with Lissa and Cordelia also shows that loyalty and settling debts are very important to him, with him looking after Lissa after being tasked to by Chrom, despite his feelings, and him agreeing to give Cordelia fencing lessons after she had gone above and beyond to help out the army, himself included.

In his endings, Lon'qu returns to Regna Ferox, once again serving as Basilio's champion. As a set of fun facts, Lon'qu's favorite food is cabbage stew and his skill with the blade made him really good at potato peeling by proxy. He also loves bugs, as he played with them often as a child. His name is derived from Lon, the Gaelic word for blackbird, and qú, which is Chinese for quiet or stoic. Blackbirds are often considered a bad omen, which may reference his past.

As a gameplay unit, Lon'qu is decidedly mediocre in the long run of the Awakening metagame, but he's quite usable early on due to Vantage patching up his durability issues somewhat. Lon'qu's major issue is that most of his potential classes don't offer any 1-2 range options in a game that's primarily Enemy Phase focused. The only offensive weapons he can use as a Swordmaster, Trickster, or Assassin are swords (locked to one range, barring the Levin Sword, which Lon'qu doesn't have the magic to wield well) or Bows (as an Assassin, but then he can't counter at one range). Wyvern Lord and Griffin Rider don't have this issue, but Lon'qu's non-existent bulk runs counter to these usually tanks classes, making it not worth the effort or the use of a Second Seal. He can perform well as a Dread Fighter, but not only is that DLC-only, but basically everyone performs well as a Dread Fighter. Swordfaire, Astra, and Vantage are nice skills at least. And he's got some great critical hit quotes.

In Heroes, he just recently got a new weapon with the Solitary Blade, which helps him stand out again after getting powercrept for years on end.

So that's Lon'qu, the highest ranking Myrmidon on my list of favorites, notably. Great character, sleek design, and undeniably cool.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 219869

Appears in: Fire Emblem Awakening, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Fire Emblem Heroes, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Trophy), Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Spirit)

At number twenty-four on my list, we have Lon'qu, Awakening's token dark and edgy Myrmidon in the vain of others like Navarre, Rutger, Karel, and Deen. Lon'qu joins Chrom's party at the end of chapter four at Arena Ferox. Impressed by Chrom's martial prowess, the West Khan Basilio offers his own champion to aid Chrom in the war effort. We immediately see that Lon'qu is stoic and a no-nonsense kind of guy with his character-establishing line, "He gives orders, I stab people. I think our roles are clear." However, when Lissa approaches him, he immediately tells her to step back, immediately making clear that Lon'qu has something against women.

This is actually a pretty interesting juxtaposition between Lon'qu and the character that inspired him, Navarre. Whereas Navarre has a code of honor to never turn his blade on a woman, Lon'qu seemingly avoids contact with them out of personal discomfort. The reason for this isn't immediately apparent, but through his support conversations, the truth comes to light.

In his supports with Cherche and Tharja, Lon'qu reveals that he grew up in the slums of Regna Ferox, presumably after immigrating from Chon'sin in Valm. While there, he grew close to a young girl his age, Ke'ri, presumably another Chon'sin immigrant. At one point, he and Ke'ri went on a picnic together, but were ambushed by bandits. These bandits killed Ke'ri, who took the brunt of the attack trying to save Lon'qu, and Lon'qu was powerless to stop them. Ke'ri's parents blamed him for her death, and Lon'qu fled the slums to honed his fighting skills at the Feroxi capital, fighting in duels to improve his swordsmanship. However, the incident also gave Lon'qu crippling post-traumatic stress in the form of a fear of women. His support with Panne even reveals he's kept awake by constant nightmares.

His gynophobia is often mistaken for misogyny, but Lon'qu doesn't intrinsically hate women, they're just his PTSD trigger. In the heat of combat and in life-or-death situations, he's able to suppress this instinctual repulsion, but in circumstances where his life isn't on the line, his condition debilitates him. In many cases, he has to speak to women from a distance to avoid discomfort, and is only ever able to help his condition by repeated exposure in his supports.

His support with Tharja offers him a way to eliminate his trauma, with Tharja offering to erase his memories of Ke'ri and his life before he fled the slums, but he declines, knowing that he'd be a different person entirely if she did so, as those memories were formative to who he is as a person. His support with Cherche, meanwhile, offers some closure on the Ke'ri situation. She tells him that she had met Ke'ri's parents while she was taking refuge in Regna Ferox, and that her parents no longer held ill will towards Lon'qu. After he had fled, they learned of how he tried to save her, and after finding their daughter's diary, they realized just how close the two of them were. Blaming themselves for forcing Lon'qu to flee, they felt immense regret.

Lon'qu also has a rather complex relationship with the West Khan of Regna Ferox, Basilio. Basilio had taken Lon'qu under his tutelage when the latter had fled to the capital, sensing a warrior's strength within him. Eventually Lon'qu had risen through the ranks and had become Basilio's champion and right hand man, but despite their closeness, Basilio also inadvertently represented an obstacle for Lon'qu. Basilio was the one man who he could never defeat in single combat. Never wanting to be overpowered by anyone again, eventually defeating Basilio had become a long time goal for Lon'qu.

This is showcased in his support with Gregor, who had once matched Basilio in combat and almost became the new West Khan. However, while Lon'qu wished to fight him, Gregor quickly overpowered him, with the latter recognizing Lon'qu's passion for overcoming Basilio clouding his focus.

This comes up again in his support with Olivia, another Feroxi character who served under Basilio as his court dancer. Basilio often performed a feat where he could cleave a vase of water in half without shattering the glass or spilling the water, resulting from years of practice and discipline. Noticing that Lon'qu was attempting the same trick with no success, Olivia offers her help in offering him some tips, since she'd seen Basilio do it so many times. After repeated attempts end only in failure, Lon'qu professes that he believes he'd never be worthy in Basilio's eyes, only for Olivia to reveal that Basilio spoke of Lon'qu's skill to no end, almost like a proud father would. Lon'qu takes this to heart, feeling more confident in himself.

His support with Lissa and Cordelia also shows that loyalty and settling debts are very important to him, with him looking after Lissa after being tasked to by Chrom, despite his feelings, and him agreeing to give Cordelia fencing lessons after she had gone above and beyond to help out the army, himself included.

In his endings, Lon'qu returns to Regna Ferox, once again serving as Basilio's champion. As a set of fun facts, Lon'qu's favorite food is cabbage stew and his skill with the blade made him really good at potato peeling by proxy. He also loves bugs, as he played with them often as a child. His name is derived from Lon, the Gaelic word for blackbird, and qú, which is Chinese for quiet or stoic. Blackbirds are often considered a bad omen, which may reference his past.

As a gameplay unit, Lon'qu is decidedly mediocre in the long run of the Awakening metagame, but he's quite usable early on due to Vantage patching up his durability issues somewhat. Lon'qu's major issue is that most of his potential classes don't offer any 1-2 range options in a game that's primarily Enemy Phase focused. The only offensive weapons he can use as a Swordmaster, Trickster, or Assassin are swords (locked to one range, barring the Levin Sword, which Lon'qu doesn't have the magic to wield well) or Bows (as an Assassin, but then he can't counter at one range). Wyvern Lord and Griffin Rider don't have this issue, but Lon'qu's non-existent bulk runs counter to these usually tanks classes, making it not worth the effort or the use of a Second Seal. He can perform well as a Dread Fighter, but not only is that DLC-only, but basically everyone performs well as a Dread Fighter. Swordfaire, Astra, and Vantage are nice skills at least. And he's got some great critical hit quotes.

In Heroes, he just recently got a new weapon with the Solitary Blade, which helps him stand out again after getting powercrept for years on end.

So that's Lon'qu, the highest ranking Myrmidon on my list of favorites, notably. Great character, sleek design, and undeniably cool.
why's it a ****ing essay

Last edited by a moderator:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I found an pretty interesting stage for you all to try out if you wanna have some interesting matches.

Here’s the Stage ID: 5PRK7DHT

You won’t regret it.
I checked the stage out, and basically:
...You just fall. That's all there is to it. Well, I guess there are a couple obstacles you have to dodge along the way...
Wade, why'd you even recommend this stage anyway?

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Opossum Opossum : "alright so i might be doing a small FE-based project, nothing major"
also Opossum Opossum : writes more comprehensive and well thought out character descriptions than the entire FE wiki

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
As popular that meme is, I rarely see it anymore. Its been replaces by people showing their hate boners for Akechi now pff
I was speaking in terms of the past and why it’s soured me on him. In the game I thought he was lame and then the fandom he had turned me off completely lol. For me the Kasumi stuff is significantly less annoying but that’s just me

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Opossum Opossum : alright so i might be doing a small FE-based project, nothing major
also Opossum Opossum : writes more comprehensive and well thought out character descriptions than the entire FE wiki
Opo is just a very passionate Opossum.

>This post was made by someone who isn't from The Opossum Gang, atleast, not officialy.
Opossum Gang 7.gif

Ivander

Smash Legend
Yep, after being powercrept by plenty of faster Myrmidon characters, especially Karla, Lon'qu's weapon allowed him to take back his throne as the fastest Sword user.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I was speaking in terms of the past and why it’s soured me on him. In the game I thought he was lame and then the fandom he had turned me off completely lol. For me the Kasumi stuff is significantly less annoying but that’s just me
Sounds like me with kasumi lol. I found the Akechi memes to be funny becuse of how weird that part of the game was. kasumi has just gotten annoying

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

View attachment 219869

In his supports with Cherche and Tharja, Lon'qu reveals that he grew up in the slums of Regna Ferox, presumably after immigrating from Chon'sin in Valm. While there, he grew close to a young girl his age, Ke'ri, presumably another Chon'sin immigrant. At one point, he and Ke'ri went on a picnic together, but were ambushed by bandits. These bandits killed Ke'ri, who took the brunt of the attack trying to save Lon'qu, and Lon'qu was powerless to stop them. Ke'ri's parents blamed him for her death, and Lon'qu fled the slums to honed his fighting skills at the Feroxi capital, fighting in duels to improve his swordsmanship. However, the incident also gave Lon'qu crippling post-traumatic stress in the form of a fear of women. His support with Panne even reveals he's kept awake by constant nightmares.

I really liked Lon’qu in awakening, his deep voice was cool, and I liked his characterization since he felt like an actual character than just a gimmick. I paired him with Olivia, which was hilarious when Inigo was his son.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
So here’s an interesting question,

Mario maker 2 reveals Artorias is a costume.

Your reaction? Artorias
  1. Artorias

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I checked the stage out, and basically:
...You just fall. That's all there is to it. Well, I guess there are a couple obstacles you have to dodge along the way...
Wade, why'd you even recommend this stage anyway?
Maybe this will explain things better:
https://youtu.be/mlYQhyB3aEM

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I just want to say this to SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 , as a tip for debating. In the future, don’t act like your point of view matters more than others, or think you are more right than others to the point of telling their point of view is wrong/isn’t valid. You don’t want to come off as arrogant and insulting. Just treat others’ point of view in a nice way and good way, and they will do the same to you, okay? Just be more open and don’t think what you think matters more or is any more right than others.

I hope it was okay to post this.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
You're all being mean, intentionally or not, to my bro Gentlepanda Gentlepanda , so **** you guys.
Kasumi Bongo Cat.gif

And no, I'm not part of the Kasumi Gang, you dingus!:ultpiranha:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

View attachment 219869

In his supports with Cherche and Tharja, Lon'qu reveals that he grew up in the slums of Regna Ferox, presumably after immigrating from Chon'sin in Valm. While there, he grew close to a young girl his age, Ke'ri, presumably another Chon'sin immigrant. At one point, he and Ke'ri went on a picnic together, but were ambushed by bandits. These bandits killed Ke'ri, who took the brunt of the attack trying to save Lon'qu, and Lon'qu was powerless to stop them. Ke'ri's parents blamed him for her death, and Lon'qu fled the slums to hone his fighting skills at the Feroxi capital, fighting in duels to improve his swordsmanship. However, the incident also gave Lon'qu crippling post-traumatic stress in the form of a fear of women. His support with Panne even reveals he's kept awake by constant nightmares.

You can't call my husband mediocre as a unit I'm unsubbing and reporting for sociopathic behaivour

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
mfw MK9 is still a 'mario kart' game instead of a much more interesting smash-style crossover game that builds on 8's guest characters

View attachment 219861

if sonic and sega all-stars can do it, it's about time for nintendo kart
Yeah but Sonic Team Racing is regressing back to just Sonic characters. So.

EDIT: Team Sonic Racing. Whatever.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

mfw MK9 is still a 'mario kart' game instead of a much more interesting smash-style crossover game that builds on 8's guest characters

View attachment 219861

if sonic and sega all-stars can do it, it's about time for nintendo kart
TBH I feel chances of that are pretty low. The crossover content was part of what made people love 8 so much and it's a really easy thing for Nintendo to continue, so I imagine we'll see more of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom