• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yeah... no thank you...

I'd rather not have DP Mr. Mime look even creepier than he already is
those are horrendous
even sonic is worse than movie sonic and that's really saying something
This Jigglypuff as seen everything.

Lord Arceus have mercy on them.
I think you should be nicer to her. Just kidding! I must agree with you, Goth. Those designs aren’t so good.
Wait, what?!? These look cool. Plus they look like real animals that would actually exist. I don’t understand.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I can’t stop you from thinking like that, but you can’t stop me from thinking that the 1–1 designs for Detective Pikachu looks jarring. I’m not saying live action Sonic is better, honestly I think the sweet spot is somewhere on between.

Something like this

I know some of these look a bit disturbing, but only the ones who are light supposed to be frightening and monsterous.

Also, this
What did they do to my Charmander, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and especially Gengar?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Yeah, they're fine. This particular raccoon is kind of timid and gets scared at the smallest things, so it keeps away from the opossums and stray cats. Like, they go after it more than it goes after them, which is the total opposite of what should happen.
Awwwwwwwwwwwww poor poopy trash panda

Yeah... no thank you...

I'd rather not have DP Mr. Mime look even creepier than he already is
Honestly thought he wasn’t creepy enough

Is what I would like to say and then I thought about it and I don’t think they could have made him creepier without destroying the character lol, so yeah I’m with you

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
It has Banjo on it.

Have Banjo and/or Geno on it and people will instantly believe you.

Some nerd on the papagenos discord server paid their good money to make fake ads. Very tragic.
People will always believe what they want to believe. It's sad but people will always mix speculation with their most wanted and rely on confirmation bias all the time.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Wait, what?!? These look cool. Plus they look like real animals that would actually exist. I don’t understand.
Sorry but when I look at that Mewtwo & Mr.Mime, I can think plenty of things, but none of them are what I consider cool or even exist irl.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Pokemon are not meant to resemble real animals. They are cartoony animals, objects, or whatever else they used as a base.

Turning them into "realistic" proportions goes against that. You might as well drop the Pokemon altogether and have a talking real rat instead.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Pokemon are not meant to resemble real animals. They are cartoony animals, objects, or whatever else they used as a base.

Turning them into "realistic" proportions goes against that. You might as well drop the Pokemon altogether and have a talking real rat instead.
Well then they shouldn’t make a live action movie with real humans.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I can’t stop you from thinking like that, but you can’t stop me from thinking that the 1–1 designs for Detective Pikachu looks jarring. I’m not saying live action Sonic is better, honestly I think the sweet spot is somewhere on between.

Something like this

I know some of these look a bit disturbing, but only the ones who are light supposed to be frightening and monsterous.

Also, this
Alright. From this, I see that you wanted designs more in line w/ real-life animals instead of their more cartoonish designs.

I can see where you coming from. I don't necessarily agree w/ it, but I can see what you were going for.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They made them look like actual animals you would find in a realistic setting. I still don’t get what the problem is other than the fact that is different. Is that what this is. Are y’all just afraid of change?
Want to know the kicker? Half of those are made by the guy who designed the Pokémon for Detective Pikachu.

Maybe we're not the ones afraid of change.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
They made them look like actual animals you would find in a realistic setting. I still don’t get what the problem is other than the fact that is different. Is that what this is. Are y’all just afraid of change?
Gengar isn’t an animal

Go ahead

Find me a real animal version of Klefki that isn’t just a smartass picture of a regular key ring lol

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Just gonna say that just because it’s set in live action doesn’t mean it has to follow real world rules, especially if we’re talking a fantasy world like Pokémon. Even if it can’t exist in our world doesn’t mean it couldn’t there. Suspension of disbelief exists for a reason. As long as they look believable within the context of their world I think it works.

D

Deleted member

'Cause then it wouldn't be a Pokemon anymore.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994

Something like this

Also, this
My issue with these types of Pokemon designs is that they are trying to directly resemble real animals. That doesn't work. Mewtwo looks like a horror game monster. Gengar's design here is not at all like its actual appearance. It is true that many Pokemon are based on real creatures, but many aren't. This feels like shoehorning deliberately unrealistic Pokemon onto animals, and it doesn't really work, imo.

Pokemon don't need to resemble real animals because Pokemon themselves aren't real.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
It's just too drastic from the original designs

When adapting a series like Pokemon into live action, you need to remember the fact that people have been used to the original artstyle for a long time, and changing the designs too much would give a serious sense of uncanny valley for many. That's why the best option is to strike a perfect balance between realism and the original designs.

Imo, Detective Pikachu nailed the designs pretty much to a T, and I really wouldn't have them any other way.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Gengar isn’t an animal

Go ahead

Find me a real animal version of Klefki that isn’t just a smartass picture of a regular key ring lol
>Poor mortal who has never seen a fairy in person
This is why Klefki wasn't in Detective Pikachu

D

Deleted member

Please don't try to shut down conversations.

If you think an argument is bad, explain why so or just ignore it.
okay then,
SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 THEY DON'T NEED TO LOOK REAL, THE ENTIRE POINT IS THAT THEY'RE NOT SOMETHING THAT COULD EXIST IN OUR WORLD
PIKACHU IS A MOTHER****ING YELLOW MOUSE WITH HUGE-ASS EARS AND ****ING ELECTRIC POWERS

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I take 20 of Pikachu looking like this.

Over 1 of of those "realistic" animal one posted earlier.

Like the one in Snake post just made me feel nothing, but this one just make go "awwww" everytime I see it, which is kinda of the point of a Pokemon like Pikachu, it's all a question of balance between "realistic" and "stylish" I say.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Just gonna say that just because it’s set in live action doesn’t mean it has to follow real world rules, especially if we’re talking a fantasy world like Pokémon. Even if it can’t exist in our world doesn’t mean it couldn’t there. Suspension of disbelief exists for a reason. As long as they look believable within the context of their world I think it works.
Except it doesn’t. At least, not to me. Why don’t the people have realistically textured anime faces then? They evolved on the same planet in the same environment didn’t they?
My issue with these types of Pokemon designs is that they are trying to directly resemble real animals. That doesn't work. Mewtwo looks like a horror game monster. Gengar's design here is not at all like it's actual appearance. It is true that many Pokemon are based on real creatures, but many aren't. This feels like shoehorning deliberately unrealistic Pokemon onto animals, and it doesn't really work, imo.

Pokemon don't need to resemble real animals because Pokemon themselves aren't real.
I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again. If you want that, then don’t make a live action movie with real humans. Make a cartoon if you want cartoon designs.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Please don't try to shut down conversations.

If you think an argument is bad, explain why so or just ignore it.
look what you did osby

Rookie mistake
okay then,
SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 THEY DON'T NEED TO LOOK REAL, THE ENTIRE POINT IS THAT THEY'RE NOT SOMETHING THAT COULD EXIST IN OUR WORLD
PIKACHU IS A MOTHER****ING YELLOW MOUSE WITH HUGE-*** EARS AND ****ING ELECTRIC POWERS

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
okay then,
PIKACHU IS A MOTHER****ING YELLOW MOUSE WITH HUGE-*** EARS AND ****ING ELECTRIC POWERS
Sit down before I take away your sugar
Except it doesn’t. At least, not to me. Why don’t the people have realistically textured anime faces then?
Isn't that Battle Angel Alita? Still need to see that

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
okay then,
Yeah, I must admit, the designs in the actual movie are fine. Unlike those SnakeFighter posted. And the model for Sonic in his own movie, of course.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Except it doesn’t. At least, not to me. Why don’t the people have realistically textured anime faces then? They evolved on the same planet in the same environment didn’t they?

I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again. If you want that, then don’t make a live action movie with real humans. Make a cartoon if you want cartoon designs.
And if we want something like what Detective Pikachu did, then what? Enlighten us.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It's just too drastic from the original designs

When adapting a series like Pokemon into live action, you need to remember the fact that people have been used to the original artstyle for a long time, and changing the designs too much would give a serious sense of uncanny valley for many. That's why the best option is to strike a perfect balance between realism and the original designs.

Imo, Detective Pikachu nailed the designs pretty much to a T, and I really wouldn't have them any other way.
I’d rather make a world that makes sense rather than bow to whining fanboys who can’t stand anything different. Sure, sometimes pleasing the fans can lead to amazing products. But a lot of the time it just makes things worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom