• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Let's be simplified about it then.
4 special moves + 3 tilts + jab + rapid jab + 5 aerials + grab + pummel + 4 throws + final smash = 21 seperate moves to decide.
Then you have to factor in how to balance those moves, how to make their animations flow, what to reference, how to make them stand out, a ridiculous amount of bug testing and how to make the chracter enjoyable to play.
Seriously, there nearly 80 characters, and for each new one you have to bug test how those moves interact with every other move.
And that's not factoring taunts, idle animations, victory poses, model development and everything else.
That sounds like a bunch of punches to me.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Well yeah. Animation is hard. But they’re following dictated orders.
Animation isn't easy business at all, there is a reason you can't get every character under the sun, not counting balancing or things like that, you know that the animators have to animate others minor things than just A or B moves for a character like:
-When they sleep?
-When their shield is broken?
-When they eat a curry?
-When they are balancing themselves on the edge of a platforme?
-When they grab a assist trophy? (Yes, there is a unique animation for each characters that play when you don't do anything after releasing a assist trophy)

and others things like that,? Clones are well-liked by fighting game dev in general for a reason, Sakurai and SF dev know what's up with that.

If you have the time on your hands, please check out those two videos that show you how much effort are put into Smash Bros animations in general. Those videos are great and you should definitly give them a look.

D

Deleted member

4 special moves + 3 tilts + jab + rapid jab + 5 aerials + grab + pummel + 4 throws + final smash = 21 seperate moves to decide.
Then you have to factor in how to balance those moves, how to make their animations flow, what to reference, how to make them stand out, a ridiculous amount of bug testing and how to make the chracter enjoyable to play.
Seriously, there nearly 80 characters, and for each new one you have to bug test how those moves interact with every other move.
And that's not factoring taunts, idle animations, victory poses, model development and everything else.
not to mention the time spent making those characters feel unique

you don't want people to feel like they could be doing the same things that bowser can do as ganondorf

D

Deleted member

not to mention the time spent making those characters feel unique

you don't want people to feel like they could be doing the same things that bowser can do as ganondorf
Man, I wish vaanrose was still here, he could explain this so much better than me.
But yeah, some characters like Shulk require entirely new systems to be made for them. Who knows what Joker will have?

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Keep in mind that some characters have extra attacks, like Ryu and Ken having 2 sets of ground moves and special attacks, and Robin having 2 sets if Smash attacks and aerials, and some gain more attacks under special conditions, like Cloud and Little Mac. So the base 21 moves isn't even true for some of the case.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Making assumptions about game development only makes me think of this:

View attachment 208235
I've never been able to decide if this is my favorite thing a game developer has ever said/done or the blocking onslaughts that Kamiya frequently goes on are.

Though Sakurai gets bonus points for his being more than text. The thumbs up gives me life every time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Man, I wish vaanrose was still here, he could explain this so much better than me.
But yeah, some characters like Shulk require entirely new systems to be made for them. Who knows what Joker will have?
I'm hoping for a Persona swapping mechanic, seeing as how Joker has the power of the Wild Card.

osby

Smash Obsessed
He'll have a dating mechanic where spending more time with his opponents will make his Confidant with them level up and then he can cheat them for a OHKO.

I'm hoping for a Persona swapping mechanic, seeing as how Joker has the power of the Wild Card.
Or this, if you want to be boring.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
because of joker's ****ing gun, sakurai had to implement a new system wherein fighters could actually ****ing die

D

Deleted member

"smash characters are incredibly simple to make and don't take much time at all"
sakurai, inserting his 5th iv drip:
c3cd759.jpg

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
id easily enter those smash moveset contests but i dont know any of these ****ers or how do to any of their weird rules

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
because of joker's ****ing gun, sakurai had to implement a new system wherein fighters could actually ****ing die
One of his moves is you convincing the opponent to become your Persona so you can bring him to the velvet room and chop his ****ing head off

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Can I show this quickly?
Parasite Super Crown 39.gif

Not going to lie, even with only having black & white to worry about and not having to complicate motion to do, this **** tooks me weeks to do, and even then it still probably could need some polish here and there since I am not a expert when it come animation. Not every frames was hard to make (there is 80 frames in this gif, for those asking), but some of those took me atleast one or two days to do.

Animation is hard man, sprites or 3D model, I always will respect a dev team who put lots of effort into it to make it as fluid and in-character as possible.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Can I show this quickly?
View attachment 208237
Not going to lie, even with only having black & white to worry about and not having to complicate motion to do, this **** tooks me weeks to do, and even then it still probably could need some polish here and there since I am not a expert when it come animation. Not every frames was hard to make (there is 80 frames in gif, for those asking), but some of those took me atleast one or days to do.

Animation is hard man, sprites or 3D model, I always will respect a dev team who put lots of effort into it to make it as fluid and in-character as possible.
Hey, that's pretty cool!

I actually am going to college to study that field. I know it's time consuming, but I'm sure the end result is worth it.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
quick question, I aint being annoying posting these idol pictures, am I?
Nah, you're good.

Be it anime boys or Animal Crossing builds, your posts offer a nice splash of refreshment between the high energy chaos of the rest of the thread.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Can I show this quickly?
View attachment 208237
Not going to lie, even with only having black & white to worry about and not having to complicate motion to do, this **** tooks me weeks to do, and even then it still probably could need some polish here and there since I am not a expert when it come animation. Not every frames was hard to make (there is 80 frames in gif, for those asking), but some of those took me atleast one or days to do.

Put that thing back where it came from or so help me

(Seriously though that’s some really cool animation and spritework, cool stuff!)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Can I show this quickly?
View attachment 208237
Not going to lie, even with only having black & white to worry about and not having to complicate motion to do, this **** tooks me weeks to do, and even then it still probably could need some polish here and there since I am not a expert when it come animation. Not every frames was hard to make (there is 80 frames in this gif, for those asking), but some of those took me atleast one or two days to do.

a demonic entity blocks your path

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Can I show this quickly?
View attachment 208237

Well this should go nicely with the nap I'm about to take.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
No. We have to many considering that series relative importance/notoriety on the grand global scale.
Wait. That was seriously a thing? Smash Characters are so simple! How hard is it to throw together a total of 4 moves?
1. 7 characters yes...but the rest of the series ain’t got **** compared to the bigger boys (they only just got better with other representation)
2. you ****ed up with that last comment
I throw out attacks and they just make my enemy's life hell
oh
Making assumptions about game development only makes me think of this:

View attachment 208235
Memories
therapist: hueeeyah
me: what
therapist:
View attachment 208241
75219B6F-6EF4-490A-B8E6-906F361168F7.jpeg

D

Deleted member

Can I show this quickly?
View attachment 208237

That looks like a lot of effort, it looks amazing!

Serious respect does go out to the Ultimate development team.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Hey, that's pretty cool!

I actually am going to college to study that field. I know it's time consuming, but I'm sure the end result is worth it.
Hey, friendly advice, if you have the money, get Aseprite, it will help you SOOOO MUCH.

In all cases tho, wish you best luck. ;)
Put that thing back where it came from or so help me

(Seriously though that’s some really cool animation and spritework, cool stuff!)
>When you thought you be able to become a waifu but you barely avoided being possessed by a parasite
_20170706_074436.JPG

(For real, thanks!^^)

Well this should go nicely with the nap I'm about to take.
LOL, sorry fella hahaha, hope you sleep well then. :p

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I work on fighting games myself. Programming them is a completely different story from just mapping out moves alone. My first practice was with Fighter Maker. Holy cow, was that difficult to work with(at least compared to something like RPG Maker which isn't confusing at all. Zelda Classic is right between them). It's severely difficult to get things working right. It's why we tend to get many bugs and glitches when we get a Smash update. It takes one slightly off number to completely screw up a piece of the game.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I do remember that in my Game Design class of my junior year, I created a text based adventure game in Visual Studio, and for the most part it worked fine, but once I forgot just one part (I think a semicolon or the break command), and it caused an infinite loop that could not be stopped at all. If just one minor error can do that much to a text-based game, then I'm interested in what one little slip can do to a massive scale game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So guys these were My dlc expectations at first
-steve
-sora
-byleth
-gen 8 Pokémon
-heihachi
So disappointing am I right?

But now here’s my My dlc expectations as of today
-joker