• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
In all seriousness though, I would give up all the echo fighters if it meant we got one more completely unique one.
The 6 clones in Melee couldn't have been replaced with one unique fighter, why would clones with less gameplay differences?

D

Deleted member

They could have used it to give us other zero effort echoes like Ninten, Funky Kong, or Liquid Snake.

In all seriousness though, I would give up all the echo fighters if it meant we got one more completely unique one.
except lucina was there to promote fe awakening and also as a neat little bonus fighter considering she was literally a marth cosume and chrom was specifically added because of fan demand for him

D

Deleted member

except lucina was there to promote fe awakening and also as a neat little bonus fighter considering she was literally a marth cosume and chrom was specifically added because of fan demand for him
Fun Fact:
We got Lucina, Robin and Chrom, only because Sakurai played Fire Emblem Awakening during the development of Smash 4.
Makes sense that he would promote a game he chose to play during a development of a big fighting and party game.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Didn't Chrom added specifically for fan requests?

Also if most people wanted them gone, I wouldn't meet with one every other online match.
Fan demand in Jay-Pahn.
Ganondorf Doriyah is better anyways

keep all FE characters

Isabelle = Jigglypuff?
No. We have to many considering that series relative importance/notoriety on the grand global scale.
That's not the case, so... they're good?
The 6 clones in Melee couldn't have been replaced with one unique fighter, why would clones with less gameplay differences?
Wait. That was seriously a thing? Smash Characters are so simple! How hard is it to throw together a total of 4 moves?

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Fan demand in Jay-Pahn.

No. We have to many considering that series relative importance/notoriety on the grand global scale.

Wait. That was seriously a thing? Smash Characters are so simple! How hard is it to throw together a total of 4 moves?
What? Chrom was the most anticipated FE newcomer in Smash 4, that's why everyobe was shocked that Sakurai went for Robin instead, and then they weren't too happy with the way he was treated in Smash 4. On top of that, I an far more sure that it was Dark Pit that was hated the most.

Also, movesets are far more than just 4 moves.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Tbh I feel like Chrom got in because they already had a fully animated model that shows up in Robin’s FS and victory screens, so they just decided to throw him in since they were already doing echo fighters. Would explain why his model looks a little underbaked compared to other characters.

Not complaining, Chrom is one of my favorite lords and I’m glad he’s in, but I think his popularity only went so far, and it was the sheer convienence that gave him a spot.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm just glad Chrom got in because you see you might not know this if you are a hetero or not into the boys....

Chrom could get it.

Last edited:

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
I have. I play Ultimate a lot. The characters are really ducking simple compared to other fighters like MK, KI, or I.

Also, you’re paying for my replacement eyes.
There's still a lot of effort that goes into animating those characters, creating models, and making renders. A lot of what eats up development time is also bug testing and balancing. It's more than just imagining a moveset.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
No imagination goes into that? It’s literally just punches/attacks with the main weapon.
D2XLQ35WsAIV0IS.jpg

OK, as someone who care alot about animation, do you know how hard it is to make a character animation feel in-character, fast enough so that they don't feel clunky to use for the players, and just look well made and professional in general?

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
we've been waiting nearly 5 months for joker
Yeah. Because of Atlus.
Bro.
Have you never played like, any of the post-brawl characters?
Besides Snake my mains are Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta. And I make a point of trying out and having a working understanding of the whole roster. In the entire roster I see nothing that disproves my point.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
the very hungry caterpillar is actually a metaphor for the ever-accumulating and corrupting nature of capitalism, and how overindulgence in capitalist society can lead to one's own spiritual poverty

thank you for coming to my we-need-joker talk
Kid Icarus: Uprising is actually a metaphor for the current state of [banned topic], with the Underworld Army representing [LOL], the Forces of Nature representing misanthropic nihilistic post-human environmentalism, and Hades' vore fetish hearkening back to the lineage of Cronus and the metaphorical relationship between [LOL] and a certain mid 20th-century [LOOOOOOL].

In this essay I will-

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
There's still a lot of effort that goes into animating those characters, creating models, and making renders. A lot of what eats up development time is also bug testing and balancing. It's more than just imagining a moveset.
Besides, some characters have unique mechanics that take even longer to develop. If I'm not mistaken, Inkling alone took an ungodly amount of time to complete, and she was just the first newcomer.

D

Deleted member

I have. I play Ultimate a lot. The characters are really ducking simple compared to other fighters like MK, KI, or I.

making a character's normals flow well with the character's specials as well as making it fit their archetype so that you don't feel like you could do the sane thing with another characer (excluding echoes) and having them fit well in the incredibly movement based gameplay system of smash takes a godawful amount of time

not to mention having to set up their properties to fit them perfectly and the million little details and references that they have to pack into each and every single little animation

D

Deleted member

Yeah. Because of Atlus.

Besides Snake my mains are Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta. And I make a point of trying out and having a working understanding of the whole roster. In the entire roster I see nothing that disproves my point.
Literally every single move Ryu has reference Street Fighter.
Pretty much every single move Bayonetta has references Bayonetta.
A lot of Cloud's animations come from Final Fantasy.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 208233
OK, as someone who care alot about animation, do you know how hard it is to make a character animation feel in-character, fast enough so that they don't feel clunky to use for the players, and just look well made and professional in general?
Well yeah. Animation is hard. But they’re following dictated orders.

making a character's normals flow well with the character's specials as well as making it fit their archetype so that you don't feel like you could do the sane thing with another characer (excluding echoes) and having them fit well in the incredibly movement based gameplay system of smash takes a godawful amount of time

not to mention having to set up their properties to fit them perfectly and the million little details and references that they have to pack into each and every single little animation
Literally every single move Ryu has reference Street Fighter.
Pretty much every single move Bayonetta has references Bayonetta.
A lot of Cloud's animations come from Final Fantasy.
Yeah. All four of them.

I’ve now played all three of those source games. And, at least in Cloud and Bayo’s casss, they only use like, 1/8th of the characters moves and attacks.

Smash characters only punch and use 4 moves.

Mortal Kombat characters, for example, punch and do about 20+ special moves.

Smash’s characters are simple.

DA BIG ATLUS MEANIES didn't cause Joker to have to have so many gameplay situations tested with him.
No. But they are stoping the reveal direct from happening until their precious concert passes.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
"Smash Bros' devs just fart out each character with little to no work whatsoever and that's why they should cut clones for a character I actually like"

I. . .

I didn't sleep last night and I'm terrible at explaining these things at the best of times, can someone else point out in plain terms what's bothering me about this assertion?

D

Deleted member

Yeah. All four of them.

I’ve now played all three of those source games. And, at least in Cloud and Bayo’s casss, they only use like, 1/8th of the characters moves and attacks.

please watch know your moves

D

Deleted member

This is Nintendo. They can not make it 4k.
Plus, imagine if you had roughly two years to make a ton of stages, conduct a lot of remixes, a ton of assist trophies, polishing a ton of graphics, making over seventy characters functional, making the speed appealing, and much more stuff.
Massive props goes out to the development team. You are just being ungrateful.
Edit: Ultimate does look good too.

D

Deleted member

Yeah. All four of them.

Smash’s characters are simple.

No. But they are stoping the reveal direct from happening until their precious concert passes.
Let's be simplified about it then.
4 special moves + 3 tilts + jab + rapid jab + 5 aerials + grab + pummel + 4 throws + final smash = 21 seperate moves to decide.
Then you have to factor in how to balance those moves, how to make their animations flow, what to reference, how to make them stand out, a ridiculous amount of bug testing and how to make the chracter enjoyable to play.
Seriously, there nearly 80 characters, and for each new one you have to bug test how those moves interact with every other move.
And that's not factoring taunts, idle animations, victory poses, model development and everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom