• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iridium

Smash Hero
More specifically

That's how you wake Bobbery up after hearing his tragic backstory and leave him to his death.....

.......which was just him sleeping. TTYD can have pretty bad tone problems at times...
Why is this the film that technically introduced me to Twisted Sister first?

D

Deleted member

all I know is pain
I used to want a shiny Gallade so desperately. After about 300 eggs though, I couldn’t be stuffed. I’ve actually got an Action Replay Powersave, but it feels really wrong to use it on Ultra Sun, so I haven’t.

D

Deleted member

It'll never happen at this point

Too much excpectation
Yep I'm certain on it never happening and if it does I'm sure people will be disappointed with 15 years of expectations.

Either way it's not a good situation.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
15 Years later and we still don't have Half-Life 3, Yikes.
It took Kingdom Hearts 3 14 years to come out.

It's the curse of the third installment.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yes.

Never heard of them Shiny?
We still have one right next to where I live, close to Russellville, Alabama. $5 per car for two movies. The place is called King's Drive-In and I'm pretty sure it's technically a historical land mark now. I go every other weekend.
2004 was also Half-Life 2's release.

...I'm surprised no one mentioned it.
Metroid Prime 2 also released that year. Disappointment is in abundance here.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Man, this reminds me of one of the most flabberghasting things I've ever heard awhile ago.

So like, Youtube keeps recommending me all these Nintendo Youtubers(It's how I originally found Scott for example), and it recommended me some vid by a ProtoMario titled something like "Nintendo Referenced Me in Color Splash!?!" or something.

And the "reference" was a Toad saying "But Mario!" because apparently it's similar to his catchphrase....?

Bruh, you didn't invent "But *insert name here*", how stuck up you gotta be to believe that?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You know what the most impressive thing about ProtonJon's Let's Play of Superman 64 is?

It TOOK NEARLY 7 ****ING YEARS TO COMPLETE!
OH **** WAIT HE STILL HASN'T FINISHED THE LET'S PLAY AND IT STARTED IN 2010 WHAT THE HELL

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So i'm almost done with Resident Evil 0, just taking a break so that my girlfriend can get herself caught up with GoT all over again. This will likely be the last Resident Evil I play for a few months, mainly because I can't say that I would easily be able to play RE7 by myself without ****ting an entire brick out of my ***. Maybe that will be a Summer game in which I invite friends over to **** bricks with me. I've already watched an entire playthrough, so I know how the story goes. But playing it is a whole other story.

What follows is an intensive look at Resident Evil, and what it could look like in Smash. Forgive me for the extensive detail, but I've really developed a passion for this idea. I hope you'll humor me with it.

Looking at a Resident Evil character in Smash, there's the obvious barrier of realistic firearms. This was something that proved to be an obstacle for Snake, but Sakurai found a way to make it work with explosives. In creating the moveset, Snake was dubbed, "Heavy weapons expert" or a title of similar significance. Snake is also a user of CQC, which allows for the regular attacks in his moveset, or at least gives a reason for the complimenting of his style. It also pulls more from his home series.

As we know, Resident Evil is a series that started as Survival Horror, which gradually turned into Action Survival Horror (probably a controversial statement but whatever), with the latest *new* title taking on FPS as an additional genre with Resident Evil 7. While certain aspects of Survival Horror have changed throughout the course of the series, there are still aspects that remain the same. Players of Resident Evil are still required to manage their ammunition, healing items, and in some games, saving items. This is what makes Resident Evil a revolutionary, genre-defining series. It's not just the jump scares, it's more that several aspects of gameplay define the experience, and add to it.

Across all Resident Evil games, (Resident Evil 1 (and REmake) , Resident Evil 0 (and 0 Remake), Resident Evil 2 (and RE2 remake), Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, Resident Evil 4, 5, 6, 7, and the Revelations games, the protagonists swap in and out from each title. Jill Valentine, the iconic female protagonist who made her debut in the first game of the series (and as such has become one of the more iconic female gaming characters of all time) alongside Chris Redfield, who has become a gaming icon in his own right. Leon Kennedy and Claire Redfield starred together in a similar fashion in Resident Evil 2. Rebecca Chambers and Billy Coen took the spotlight in Resident Evil 0, Jill Valentine made her return in Resident Evil 3, Leon returned on his own for 4, Chris Redfield made his return for 5 (in which Jill appears at a later point in the game), and many of the cast (staples and some...up and comers) come together. 7 stars Chris Redfield in a DLC story, and that covers the main series games.

The Revelations titles, of which there are two, stars Jill Valentine and Chris Redfield (REV1), while Claire Redfield stars as a main protagonist in REV2. This places Jill as one of the most recurring characters in the Resident Evil franchise, and this doesn't include her appearances in various other media titles, including movies, crossovers, and other material.

In Resident Evil 1, players are given the ability to use several different weapons in a variety of offensive and defensive ways. One of the "explosive" option, rather than a firearm for Jill and Chris, is the Grenade Launcher. A recurring weapon from the series, the Grenade Launcher typically is able to fire explosive, napalm/fire, and corrosive/acid shells. These are used depending of the weakness of the monster you're seeking to defeat. However, as with most other weapons in the series, the player must be careful to manage their ammunition so that they don't get cornered by a force to be reckoned with.

However, should the player meet a zombie in a face to face situation, Jill or Chris are able to use either a knife or taser to counter the monster for the time being. This is something that might save a player from needing to replay the half hour of progress they made, or more.

With the more actiony Resident Evil games, namely 4 and 5, there's a bit to talk about as well. Leon Kennedy has a classic moment in his game in which he grabs zombies, and suplexes them. While this is incredibly ridiculous, it's something that absolutely adds to the history of Resident Evil as well as...the possibilities for memes.

But when it comes to combat for Resident Evil 4, Leon has access to flash grenades, incendiary grenades, and ordinary explosive grenades. Another unique weapon that Leon has access to, is the Mine Thrower, which essentially shoots out a mini-missile which attaches to the target and explodes after a few moments. These are all aspects that show a difference in gameplay, which staying within the same series.

Based on this, and the fact that this is being posted on Smashboards, what can be taken from this? Well, a few things. If Resident Evil is to get a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, I propose some sort of playable representation within the following options:

1) Jill Valentine
2) Leon Kennedy
3) Jill Valentine with a set of alts for Leon
4) Jill Valentine and Leon Kennedy as an Echo fighter, similar to Simon and Richter Belmonts.

Some may question further. Why? If they use explosives, why should Jill and Leon be added if they would have such similarities to Snake? Luckily, I have that answer. Surely, Jill and Leon use similar weaponry and have the same restriction as Snake did. They have to avoid realistic firearms so that they aren't shooting the Pikachus or Mario's of the world with bullets. Y I K E S...there goes my childhood!

The object of Resident Evil, is the keep your ammunition supplies up, and to keep your enemies as far away as possible. If your opponent does get closer to you then you want them, you have a select few options. Those are only truly as a last resort however. Translating to Smash, what does this even look like?

To start, I'll post the following link which will give an idea of how Jill fights in Marvel vs. Capcom. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFq9fezfDZI
While not a moveset breakdown, there are a few things to take note of. First, Jill is fast, and has moves that she can easily string together. The next is that she can effectively summon zombies, which she can then use to force her opponent into a dicey situation...:either dodge the zombie, and then get hit with a follow up to Jill, or dodge Jill and get hit by the zombie coming at them. It's not a great situation to be in. Finally, one of her special moves is to whip out a massive rocket launcher. I'm not a fan of her whipping that out in Smash in her moveset...but her Final Smash? That's a different story.

To put it simply: Jill can bring it! Some of my ideas have gone from the option to choose different ammunition types for a grenade launcher, and needing to manage it, to being able to toss different grenades, like for example the flash grenade. Using a flash grenade can stun an opponent, and allow for a retreat, or perhaps a follow up for an enemy attempting to retreat. In addition, just like the countering options in Resident Evil 1, Jill could utilize a taser to counter-shock the opponent. However, if her moveset takes on the "ammo management" of the Resident Evil series, this would then be put on a cooldown after use. Meaning, in future counters, Jill would either simply counter attack with less of a benefit, or take damage as she counters, something similar to Incineroar.

If modeled similarly to Snake in terms of stage control, this is where the zombie summoning could be put to excellent use. The zombies could be allowed to walk straight forward and simply bite the opponent, be tripped by Jill and cause knockback, or perhaps used simply to force the opponent to move themselves to a different spot (leading to the predicament I mentioned earlier).

This all said, Leon Kennedy has never been actually featured in a fighting game before. So why include him in the first place? Leon is one of the more iconic gaming characters across media, and he is the protagonist of one of the greatest Gamecube titles of all time, that obviously being Resident Evil 4. His body type is also far more similar to Jill than Chris Redfield would.

For the Final Smash, I see it fitting for both Chris and Leon to dive out of the way of a Tyrant attack, which would miss them and hit anyone it was aimed at. After that, the Tyrant would attack the opponents while Jill/Leon aims and fires their Rocket Launcher, which would then destroy the Tyrant and blast any opponents into the air!

For a stage, while there may be some truly iconic options, to me there's no other choice than Raccoon City.

Sure, the name sounds silly. However, it's the main hub of the events that started it all, and lasted among 4 games in the series. Resident Evil 1, 2, 3, and 0 all take place either in, or close to Raccoon City, being at least referenced in 1 and 0...not to mention, Leon is a former Raccoon City Police Officer, while Jill herself is a former member of the Raccoon City S.T.A.R.S Unit. This stage could easily have the backdrop of a city on fire, with terrifying monsters roaming the streets, stalking the walls of various buildings, and making their presence known. Among these creatures are the Lickers, Hunters, Cerberus' (zombie dogs), Crimson Heads (basically stronger, angrier and red versions of regular zombies), and much, much more. Looking for a stage boss? Look no further than this BAMF:

I haven't played Resident Evil 3, but all I know is, is that he's fast, he's strong, and he's got a rocket launcher and/or minigun. Y I K E S.

Not to mention the music selection...but you know what? Considering he's on a kick with that, I'll let staindgrey staindgrey handle this one.

I hope you took the time to read, because I really wanted to type this out. I was never a big horror game player, and it took a wee bit of courage for me to go through 1 as a new player. I started with the actiony side of the series, so the survival horror was something new. Overall, it's a great series, and I have had some memorable moments with it. If you haven't tried it, or haven't thought about it showing up in Smash, I would very much encourage you to give it a try. You won't regret the time you spent...unless you ruin a good pair of pants, of course!

So yeah, Jill and/or Leon for Smash!

EDIT: Phew...this post took me FOREVER to finish. My girlfriend has been done with GoT for like, an hour.
Dude, I love that you love the series now. I really do love it and all of its flaws, through all of its iterations. To see someone so thoroughly dissect it with a clear awareness of its history is heartwarming for this old nerd.

Since you pulled me in for music though... *cracks knuckles* ...lemme put in some suggestions.

One of the big games that you didn't mention-- one that people often forget as it was, for a time, a Dreamcast exclusive-- actually has some of the best songs for a high octane Smash fight. Code Veronica is not only a canonical main series title despite not having a number in its name, but it was actually for all intents and purposes the real Resident Evil 3-- a point made by the series creator himself. What became known as RE3:Nemesis was only given the "3" to fulfill their agreement with Sony to give them two exclusive numbered RE titles, but in reality it was only ever meant to be a side story reusing assets from RE2 for a faster production.

Anyway, back to the music, I wonder how they would pick music: whether it would revolve around games that starred the character they pick (Jill/Leon/whomever) or if they would simply draw from Resident Evil as a franchise in whole. So I'll share some of my first picks, separated by the game they're from:

RE0:
Stop the Train!

RE1/REmake:
Final Battle

RE2/RE2make:
G Second Transformation
Mr. X Theme
Fourth Survivor (HUNK's theme)

RE3:
Nemesis Final Form

RE:Code Veronica
State of Emergency
The Code is Veronica
Theme of Tyrant 3 (on the plane)
Alexia Ashford's Theme (kind of a mixture of the, like, six different versions of it)
Murderous Eyes

RE5 (honestly, probably has the most "worthy of a fighting game" bopping music):
Winds of Madness (Wesker's Theme)
In Flames <--personal favorite
Assault Fire
Sad But True
Rust in Summer 2008 (Versus Theme)

RE6:
Mercenaries Theme
Survivors Theme

RE Revelations/Revelations 2:
Ride on Sea
Revelations
Up the Pace

Operation Raccoon City:
Atrocity
Main Title
Escape

Then, some non-high-octane songs that are no less integral to the series, thus could be thrown in to fit the eerie feel of the map OR be used for a remix:

Moonlight Sonata
Go Tell Aunt Rhody
Every/Any Save Room Theme
RPD Main Hall
Clock Tower from RE3
Infiltration from RE4
RE:Revelations Theme

There's a multitude of other songs from spin-off games like The Mercenaries 3D (which has basically nothing but bopping songs) and all of the Mercs tracks from RE4. The problem with RE is that so much of its music is atmospheric and meant to make you want to slow down; Smash requires more pulse-pumping stuff, so the music choices would probably stick to boss fights and the inevitable "the place is about to blow up, we have to escape!" moment that every game has. The Outbreak and Survivor games have good tracks too, but since they don't star any of the main characters, I didn't bother with those.

KMDP

Smash Legend
You know what the most impressive thing about ProtonJon's Let's Play of Superman 64 is?

It TOOK NEARLY 7 ****ING YEARS TO COMPLETE!
How many LPs did he complete between the time he started Superman 64 and the time it ended?

I'm pretty sure he did Wario Land at some point in that time.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Man, this reminds me of one of the most flabberghasting things I've ever heard awhile ago.

So like, Youtube keeps recommending me all these Nintendo Youtubers(It's how I originally found Scott for example), and it recommended me some vid by a ProtoMario titled something like "Nintendo Referenced Me in Color Splash!?!" or something.

And the "reference" was a Toad saying "But Mario!" because apparently it's similar to his catchphrase....?

Bruh, you didn't invent "But *insert name here*", how stuck up you gotta be to believe that?
I'm so glad I downloaded a youtuber blocker extension. Never have to worry about seeing random vids I've no interest in over and over again.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Dude, I love that you love the series now. I really do love it and all of its flaws, through all of its iterations. To see someone so thoroughly dissect it with a clear awareness of its history is heartwarming for this old nerd.

Since you pulled me in for music though... *cracks knuckles* ...lemme put in some suggestions.

One of the big games that you didn't mention-- one that people often forget as it was, for a time, a Dreamcast exclusive-- actually has some of the best songs for a high octane Smash fight. Code Veronica is not only a canonical main series title despite not having a number in its name, but it was actually for all intents and purposes the real Resident Evil 3-- a point made by the series creator himself. What became known as RE3:Nemesis was only given the "3" to fulfill their agreement with Sony to give them two exclusive numbered RE titles, but in reality it was only ever meant to be a side story reusing assets from RE2 for a faster production.

Anyway, back to the music, I wonder how they would pick music: whether it would revolve around games that starred the character they pick (Jill/Leon/whomever) or if they would simply draw from Resident Evil as a franchise in whole. So I'll share some of my first picks, separated by the game they're from:

RE0:
Stop the Train!

RE1/REmake:
Final Battle

RE2/RE2make:
G Second Transformation
Mr. X Theme
Fourth Survivor (HUNK's theme)

RE3:
Nemesis Final Form

RE:Code Veronica
State of Emergency
The Code is Veronica
Theme of Tyrant 3 (on the plane)
Alexia Ashford's Theme (kind of a mixture of the, like, six different versions of it)
Murderous Eyes

RE5 (honestly, probably has the most "worthy of a fighting game" bopping music):
Winds of Madness (Wesker's Theme)
In Flames <--personal favorite
Assault Fire
Sad But True
Rust in Summer 2008 (Versus Theme)

RE6:
Mercenaries Theme
Survivors Theme

RE Revelations/Revelations 2:
Ride on Sea
Revelations
Up the Pace

Operation Raccoon City:
Atrocity
Main Title
Escape

Then, some non-high-octane songs that are no less integral to the series, thus could be thrown in to fit the eerie feel of the map OR be used for a remix:

Moonlight Sonata
Go Tell Aunt Rhody
Every/Any Save Room Theme
RPD Main Hall
Clock Tower from RE3
Infiltration from RE4
RE:Revelations Theme

There's a multitude of other songs from spin-off games like The Mercenaries 3D (which has basically nothing but bopping songs) and all of the Mercs tracks from RE4. The problem with RE is that so much of its music is atmospheric and meant to make you want to slow down; Smash requires more pulse-pumping stuff, so the music choices would probably stick to boss fights and the inevitable "the place is about to blow up, we have to escape!" moment that every game has. The Outbreak and Survivor games have good tracks too, but since they don't star any of the main characters, I didn't bother with those.
Dude...

Kendo's Theme from REmake 2 is some of the most bad ass **** I've ever heard. I can't believe how well it fits the story if what could've been too... Really made me a fan of Kendo... Too bad.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Dude...

Kendo's Theme from REmake 2 is some of the most bad *** **** I've ever heard. I can't believe how well it fits the story if what could've been too... Really made me a fan of Kendo... Too bad.
ALL of the RE2 DLC music was fantastic. Kendo's bops. The forgotten soldier's is more epic than it deserves to be. Katherine's is creepy as hell and oddly entrancing.

And Tofu's is ****ing hilarious.

You play as a ****ing block of Tofu to the tune of instrumental thrash metal. It's so perfect.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Drive-ins existed?
Drive-ins may not be what they used to be three quarters of a century ago, but they ain't DEAD

That one is probably still open, and both it and another one are a decent hour drive away. Kinda pushing the limits on convenience compared to movie theaters but still pretty OK

They tend to show one movie for kids and one for adults under the same ticket to make up for the extra effort.

The one that's newer to me is pretty swanky too, three different screens each showing different lineups of movies and a mini golf place I've never gotten to try.

Concessions place is basically like the snack stand at a movie theater except you have to walk a couple minutes through the night air to get to it and no one gives you a dirty look if you go for a snack run mid-movie. Still can't bring outside food in though, you wanna watch movies outside you get your car frisked.

Try looking up drive-ins near you, admittedly my area's not the most future forward but I bet you'll still be surprised.

Actually heck, just found a site for it:

http://www.driveinmovie.com/

Have fun!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The 1982 to 2000 is shorter than 2019 to 2000.
There are currently people who weren't alive to kick off the new millennium that are now adults and have kids.

Meanwhile I legit forgot to eat dinner tonight.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
WAIT. HOLD THE PHONE.

I got so caught up in RE talk that I missed the thread title! Pyra Pyra you proposed??!!?!?!

CONGRATS

When're we having a party.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
WAIT. HOLD THE PHONE.

I got so caught up in RE talk that I missed the thread title! Pyra Pyra you proposed??!!?!?!

CONGRATS

It was the most romantic proposal ever.

They were just playing Xenoblade with their girlfriend, and then just decided to give her a ring.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
In other news i've been SOS chaining Sneasels for 12 hours and i'm losing my mind.
Dude. You do not need to grind for a shiny Sneasel for me. :laugh:

The fact that you've even tried is endearing as hell. Thank you.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
WAIT. HOLD THE PHONE.

CONGRATS

You caught me in my post-Xenoblade grinding lack of sleep daze
But thank you.
The grand banquet shall begin when I’m not holding on to the waking world by a thread

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It was the most romantic proposal ever.

They were just playing Xenoblade with their girlfriend, and then just decided to give her a ring.
Hey, the way my family goes I don't think I'm allowed to propose unless I'm at risk of dying. I'd take the hand-her-a-ring-on-the-couch Netflix & Chill method over that.

osby

Smash Obsessed
In other news, one of my cats decided to bless me with this. I don't think he ever did that before, he's not a very heavy sleeper usually.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom