• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Yeah. It seems kinda weird w/ Nintendo themselves choosing the DLC that they'd go w/ a recent, popular character from a recent, popular game that isn't coming to the Switch.

While I'm not sold on the fact that P5S is the Switch version, I do find it REALLY weird for Nintendo to choose Joker and not go for Persona 5 on Switch.

Shroob

Sup?
But then comes the thing that we gotta remember: Japan. The Switch has outsold the PS4 in lifetime sales over there, and most devs and primary traction are now starting to shift over from the PS4 to the Switch. Not 100%, but it's happening. The most recent news of God Eater 3 coming to Switch would be a testament to that.

So I'd be honestly shocked more than anything if they're just going to have all the Persona 5-related projects just be PS4 only, when they'll be completely neglecting a huge opportunity to make some insane bank releasing something on the Switch, just basing off of marketing to the Japanese alone. Japan loves Persona 5, they love the Switch, it'd make perfect sense.

And to be fair, if Nintendo's choosing all the fighters for Ultimate's DLC and out of ALL the characters they choose, Joker from Persona 5 is one of them? While that would be striking the iron hot, I don't think it's because "hey, he's cool".
I mean, at this point, who can say? Until we get a Direct, it's just safer to keep expectations low, that way if they're exceeded you're pleasantly surprised.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
guuuuuuuuuuyyyyyyys stop having interesting debates I want to be a part of at 3 am

D

Deleted member

And if anything, I don't think it's a performance issue in the slightest, either. Developers are now catching up more and more with the Switch's hardware, and we're seeing it with Wolfenstein: Youngblood and Mortal Kombat 11 releasing day-in-day with the other versions, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and much more.

Persona 5 was also developed on the PS3, so if you ask me, if I'm looking at Tales of Vesperia: DE and Final Fantasy X HD Remaster's updated Switch version and seeing those games can run smooth, there isn't an excuse for P5.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Never expect anything good. Just assume it's all SMTxFE and you'll do great.
Eh, I agree with you about keeping hype in check but not necessarily by expecting the worst all the time. It's unhealthy and only makes you bitter.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm kinda wondering now if Jane really is just being thrown into Smash as a pseudo-promotional material.

iirc, Shadow Moses Island has a MGS4 Metal Gear or something, despite MGS4 never coming to a Nintendo console.
Not to mention that MGS4 had yet to be released when Brawl came out. The Meta Knight codec references something in MGS4 too iirc

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I'm going to assume the worst and say P5S is yet another P5 Spinoff. In fact I'd go as far as to say the new phantom thieves are really just some poorly made mobile game...

With gacha.
Ironically, I just uninstalled Fire Emblem Heroes from my phone. Between the amount of storage space it's taking up and the overall direction the game is going, I'm not really interested in it anymore. Especially since I got Granblue now.

And I just reinstalled Puzzles & Dragons (b/c that was my **** back in my high school years), and apparently I didn't delete all of my save data.

So good to know that my Rank 151 account didn't go to waste.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Yeah. It seems kinda weird w/ Nintendo themselves choosing the DLC that they'd go w/ a recent, popular character from a recent, popular game that isn't coming to the Switch.

While I'm not sold on the fact that P5S is the Switch version, I do find it REALLY weird for Nintendo to choose Joker and not go for Persona 5 on Switch.
I feel that the theory that Joker was more of a Sakurai pick would explain that. He's gone on to gush about Persona 5 multiple times before and it's even influenced Smash in certain ways such as the menu interface, so it's clear Sakurai has a lot of love for it. I can easily see it being a case where Sakurai saw the opportunity to add Joker and Nintendo agreed because getting Persona fans interested in the Switch via their big fighting game is still helping their bottom line.

That's not to say Joker's inclusion can't lead to a mainline Persona game in the future, but as characters like Cloud and Snake have shown, it doesn't have to be in the immediate future.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Joker isn't advertising Persona 5 Switch, he's advertising Persona 5 Arena... ON THE SWITCH.

TRULY, ATLUS IS PLAYING 4D CHESS.

D

Deleted member

I think it has been mentioned before, but I really doubt that they choose picks to promote something in particular. They choose Joker due to being a choice that Sakurai for one or another reason made sense to include.

D

Deleted member

Even if P5S isn't Persona 5 Switch there's still a chance of it being made in the near future or later even then the insider could be wrong as every insider has gotten things wrong before even Verge who was reliable for all of Ultimate so far did not see King K. Rool nor Joker coming plus he got almost everything about the Feb direct wrong.

P5 could still get a Switch port but in my opinion it's better to not expect a Port so in case it doesn't happen you would be prepared for that and if it does it simply amplif

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah, we get caught up in "what are they advertising" but there's actually not a ton of precedence for that with third parties? FF7 never came out on Wii U. The Street Fighter games that actually sell well are never on Nintendo consoles. What was the last Metal Gear game on a Nintendo console?
They didn't even reference SFV at all in Smash 4, and Ultimate only has a couple tiny references. Ryu couldn't have been a promo for SFV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom