• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
If there's one thing Skyward Sword got right, it was the characters.

I'm iffy on SS as a whole due mainly the controls and how repetitive the 3 areas felt, but god damn the characters are memorable.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
If I had to choose three non-Link, non-Ganon, and non-Zelda Zelda newcomers, I'd choose Skull Kid, Ghirahim, and Midna (Twili form).

For the record, the "non-" thing is a failsafe. Absolutely no extra variant of any of the Triforce members. There's more than enough already.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If I had to choose three non-Link, non-Ganon, and non-Zelda Zelda newcomers, I'd choose Skull Kid, Ghirahim, and Midna (Twili form).

For the record, the "non-" thing is a failsafe. Absolutely no extra variant of any of the Triforce members. There's more than enough already.
What about Impa?

KMDP

Smash Legend
Ganon's just filler endgame boss material at this point in the series. They really only care about Link and Zelda. Ganon is just an unga bunga final monster and every now and again they pump up the nostalgia juice and go "Hey, remember when we made good villains?"

Just give me ****ing Ghirahim if they're gonna imply Fi is still alive at the end of BoTW. At least he was a fun time.
Bring back Ghirahim, Vaati, Onox and Veran.

And give the latter three fleshed-out characterisation while you're at it.

Make them Ganondorf's minions, have an evil team squad.

Shroob

Sup?
I know he's a meme but I'd love to see what the descendants of Groose would be like in a future Zelda game. He was one of the best parts of SS despite his memedom.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
And then there's Demise.

Like, okay, sure, it makes sense that Ganondorf would have his origin during the same time as Link and Zelda's, but literally all he is is "I'm a demon, therefore I'm evil. I'm evil, therefore I am."

It's such a bland characterization when we've already seen Ganondorf have motives in the 'future' that just aren't evil for evil's sake.

:drshrug:
I don't know, I feel like it add a bit of tragedy to the character, mostly in WW case but still. Like you said, Ganon/Ganondorf will always be destined to be evil, but in WW, after some much time has passed and the world he knew is pretty much a relic of the past, I feel like that Ganondorf realized how much his goal of conquering Hyrule for power sake was truthfully shallow compared to his original goal of conquering Hyrule so that the Gerudo could have a land they could live in without fearing the deadly wind of the desert. Of course, now in WW world, countless years after all Gerudo have been wipe offf the map and his plan have been stopped, it is now too late to mourn over that, after every horrible act he has done, he cannot step down and be in peace with himself, he still need to conquer Hyrule just so he can fullfill his original goal for good, but I feel like that, even if he didn't know the exact detail in WW, Ganondorf knew that he be never able to live a normal life in any way due how his fate is so closely linked to Link & Zelda destiny, and that, that is a real tragedy, if true of course.

But hey, TP Ganondorf was my first Ganondorf, so I still prefer him to WW Ganondorf. :V

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Why Midna’s Twili form though?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'd love to get Toon Zelda as a weaker but faster Zelda in Smash, but I don't want to imagine the fandom's reaction to that.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So, cool bit of trivia:

Did you know that there has never been a Super Smash Bros. Game that didn't credit Rare/Rare Ltd.?

Every single Smash game; 64, Melee, Brawl, 3DS, Wii U, and Ultimate all have credits given to Rare. In Smash 64 and Melee they were credited for the Design of DK, The Blast Barrels, the Motion Sensors from Perfect Dark (long story), and compositions. All following Smash games would only credit Rare for Compositions. All from the DK series.

It's just weird to think that Rare has ALWAYS been a part of Smash's DNA. Even after the buy out, they were and are still there. In the credits.

God, every time I see that name it makes me wonder if they'll finally loop around to make Banjo a reality like he should've been in 64 or Melee. It'd be poetic at the very least.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Super flaming hot take: Beedle has more actual credentials than any commonly suggested Zelda newcomer.

I'm not fighting anyone for it just gonna pour the diesel on that one.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly was never a fan of the Zelda mythos. Always felt like a contrived case of predestination when everything comes down to destiny, fate, and prophecy. Link saves Zelda and beats Ganon, almost every single "main" game.

It's why I really liked Majora's Mask where Link as the "Hero of Time" meant nothing as a title and he just learnt about this funky parallel world as the player did.

KMDP

Smash Legend
So, cool bit of trivia:

Did you know that there has never been a Super Smash Bros. Game that didn't credit Rare/Rare Ltd.?

Every single Smash game; 64, Melee, Brawl, 3DS, Wii U, and Ultimate all have credits given to Rare. In Smash 64 and Melee they were credited for the Design of DK, The Blast Barrels, the Motion Sensors from Perfect Dark (long story), and compositions. All following Smash games would only credit Rare for Compositions. All from the DK series.

It's just weird to think that Rare has ALWAYS been a part of Smash's DNA. Even after the buy out, they were and are still there. In the credits.

God, every time I see that name it makes me wonder if they'll finally loop around to make Banjo a reality like he should've been in 64 or Melee. It'd be poetic at the very least.
What a cool piece of Trivia.

Bring Banjo home.

I'm not even a Banjo supporter and I think he should be in.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Skyward Sword got the gameplay down great.

Characters and writing, too.

Dungeons were mostly fantastic, although I would've liked to see more water-oriented enemies in...well, the water dungeon. And I could've gone without two fire dungeons when the rest were far more different from each other.

My only issue with the game is how damn linear the overworld is. And because "lol your loftwing is never awake at night."we can't even visit it at night, which in itself is simply boring, but also removed the possibility of exploring some other potential overworld mechanics: if you could've visited the surface at night, you could've encountered different enemies, different NPCs to find out different information, maybe get different quests and items from them, and find treasures and bugs that may only show up at night. To top it all off, even the sky itself is pitifully empty, not making full use of the loftwing's flight mechanics whatsoever.

SS's overworld is really ridiculous, honestly.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Zelda is a series I feel kinda iffy about in Smash. You almost can't complain about the lack of diversity, since its selection has a sacred cow status of sorts. But then you have people who make reasonable arguments about how there should be deviations, even if a particular character only appears once.

Could you imagine a timeline where a roster at the level of Pokemon, where different Zelda characters other than the Triforce, are made playable? Honestly, the fact we have a photograph of a black hole before that is both amazing and hilariously-sad all the same (I'm joking!)

Why Midna’s Twili form though?
Because it always comes with Wolf Link, who is yet again another Link. Really, Link was Dragon Ball Fighterz Goku before Goku was. I'd rather Midna just be able to switch forms liberally for certain actions. Maybe she could have a shadow wolf run similar to how Inklings go squid form to swim. Stuff like that.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Honestly, toon zelda with a phantom, skull kid, and tetra would be cool. Impa as well who honesty should be in at this point.

I’d even say they should take inspiration from hyrule warriors and do tingle or someone. There’s so many fun zelda characters, they should expand their roster for it in smash.

D

Deleted member

TBH Zelda is my favorite franchise, while my favorite pick for Smash would be Linkle I would welcome any potential newcomers.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
What I love is that the argument against Zelda characters in Smash is always "oh they're flavor of the month characters, they only appeared in one game".

Yeah, no ****, Sherlock. Unless your name is Link, Zelda, or Ganon, you only ever appeared in one Zelda game. Everyone's a "flavor of the month" in that series.

yes i know there are other recurring characters besides them don't step on my moment

KMDP

Smash Legend
Honestly was never a fan of the Zelda mythos. Always felt like a contrived case of predestination when everything comes down to destiny, fate, and prophecy. Link saves Zelda and beats Ganon, almost every single "main" game.

It's why I really liked Majora's Mask where Link as the "Hero of Time" meant nothing as a title and he just learnt about this funky parallel world as the player did.
I think of the contrived predestination thing as more of a framing device to justify reusing the same basic plot structure. I don't think too hard about it.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
What I love is that the argument against Zelda characters in Smash is always "oh they're flavor of the month characters, they only appeared in one game".

Yeah, no ****, Sherlock. Unless your name is Link, Zelda, or Ganon, you only ever appeared in one Zelda game. Everyone's a "flavor of the month" in that series.

yes i know there are other recurring characters besides them don't step on my moment
*lands a hot air balloon on your moment instead*

D

Deleted member

So, cool bit of trivia:

Considering dev time and other constraints in both games, I highly doubt Banjo would have been playable on either regardless of Rare status. On Brawl on the other hand, there was a good possibility.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Super flaming hot take: Beedle has more actual credentials than any commonly suggested Zelda newcomer.

Final Smash: Beedle compliments every fighter within range at the top of his lungs.

(There was actually a support thread for Beedle in the pre-Smash 4 days. I've always liked Beedle, so when the thread came to be I openly supported him, lol. He actually would be kinda neat as fighter.)

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
I really wanted Ghirahim for Smash 4, as he was the first character I'd ever consciously decided that I wanted in. He and Midna would be my top picks for any new characters, period.
So, cool bit of trivia:

This reminds me of how Chris Seavor is credited throughout Smash, simply because his archived voice acting is used for Peppy Hare.

Also hot take: he'd be very fun, and a great joke character (and I'd prefer him over Tingle).

KMDP

Smash Legend

If you could only use Zelda characters who appear more than once in main series games you could only use:

Link, Zelda and Ganondorf
Ganon
Impa
Malon
Tingle
Vaati
Din
Nayru
Tetra and her crew
Beedle

Wow what a great selection.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Of course, when I get the character I've pretty much played all day, gotten into Elite, and is my pseudo main, I ****ing play him like an amateur.

Yeah, my luck has not been good in arenas today.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
For real, what are some of your folks' thoughts on Tetra as a newcomer, as of now?

She's my most wanted newcomer (used to roughly tie with K. Rool, until he got confirmed) and I've been managing her support thread for Ultimate. It's been dead as a doornail lately, though, so I'm curious as to what some of you around other parts of the site think.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
If you could only use Zelda characters who appear more than once in main series games you could only use:

Link, Zelda and Ganondorf
Ganon
Impa
Malon
Tingle
Vaati
Din
Nayru
Tetra and her crew
Beedle

Wow what a great selection.
Don't **** on my boy Tingle.

For real, though, Vaati would be pretty neat.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
One day humanity will understand that Tingle is fantastic and his games are even better.

One day...

Shroob

Sup?
Spicy as **** take.

Vaati's to Zelda as Geno is to Smash.

Appeared in a few games, and never since, but it seems like whenever Smash speculation starts up, he rises from his grave.

I never got the Vaati support back in Brawl and I still don't. He'd be unique sure, but he's never coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom