• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I still don’t understand why people hate spoilers. I actively seek out spoilers so I can set my expectations. And it never ruins it for me because I didn’t actually see it happen. Or see it in full context. Like, I spoiled Infinity War for myself and I was still shocked by the ending because it was just that powerful.

Not trying to pick a fight. Just genuinely confused.
well when the scene is surprising it can be a lot more impactful then it normally is

i mean while the infinity war ending was super impactful the fact that it was just so damn subversive basically seared it into people's minds

i mean tbh who tf actually expected the avengers to lose and the big bad guy to kill like everyone it was so wack

it's probably the main reason why the snap became such a pop culture phenomenon honestly

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
There is the spoiler paradox, where knowing how a story ends actually makes people enjoy it more.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
well when the scene is surprising it can be a lot more impactful then it normally is

i mean while the infinity war ending was super impactful the fact that it was just so damn subversive basically seared it into people's minds

i mean tbh who tf actually expected the avengers to lose and the big bad guy to kill like everyone it was so wack

it's probably the main reason why the snap became such a pop culture phenomenon honestly
Honestly, when I’m surprised by what happens in a movie I tend to get mad. Usually because the outcome I envisioned in my head is way less tragic than what they actually show on screen. And I empathize with the characters too much. It’s all about setting my expectations. Otherwise I’d probably hate every movie. If I know what’s gonna happen my imagination isn’t gonna run wild.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Basically this. Surprises are good. Surprises can be exciting. Then you can rewatch/replay something knowing what happens and appreciate everything that leads to whatever the twist or ending is. I knew the meme line from Infinity War before seeing the movie but I didn't realize how strong that scene was nor did I expect the farm scene at the end and despite having my own issues with Marvel canon the way the snap scene was handled blew my mind. Couldn't stop thinking about it.

D

Deleted member

There is the spoiler paradox, where knowing how a story ends actually makes people enjoy it more.
tbh not for me

oftentimes there are plot elements that come into play near the end and knowing the fact that "oh that silver needle that dora inherited from her dead father will be used by boots to stab the witch in the eye and banish her back to hell" the moment that she inherits the silver needle kinda hurts

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Quick question before I go into a bit of a longer post but with the inbox/PMs/DMs/whatever-else-it's-called of this site, it's possible to have numerous people in one correct? One that can act as a sort of chatroom where numerous people can post and see each others posts while still being private to those not in it? And as a Premium member I'm able to have up to 50 people in one I believe? I'm sure there's somewhere more appropriate to ask this but my next post will be here so I'm asking here~

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
tbh not for me

oftentimes there are plot elements that come into play near the end and knowing the fact that "oh that silver needle that dora inherited from her dead father will be used by boots to stab the witch in the eye and banish her back to hell" the moment that she inherits the silver needle kinda hurts
Part of the paradox is it makes things easier to understand so emotional responses can actually be amplified by it.

A couple of times when I knew something sad was going to happen, it made the events leading up to it all the more tear jerking, to the point they were more emotional than sad stories that I didn't have spoiled.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
It's true that Japan doesn't care for Mortal Kombat, but it's not an outright possibility. Just a snowballs chance in hell.

Besides, if they ever went with a "western shill pick" Mortal Kombat wouldn't be a bad one.
Mortal Kombat was a huge phenomenom in its first few games, so yeah, not a bad pick. And I hope they do it, dammit

But so was people like Crash Bandicoot, who also have the advantage of having games that do decently well in Japan but would still obviously be western shill picks due to being way bigger in the west.

Mortal Kombat doesn't have that. Heck, most games didn't make it in Japan, iirc, and the last few games of the decade were banned in Australia too. The audience you reach with Scorpion really isn't as big as Crash or Heihachi or Banjo or Steve (although the latter is kind of an unfair comparison)

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
are we talking about surprises
cuz I really hope leakers just ****ing stop so I can at least have one more surprise after Joker
I can dig that tbh

Fighter 3 may or may not be a Microsoft rep, but 4 and 5 are complete mysteries so far and I like that

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
yeah it's in New Leaf
not sure if it's in Pocket Camp tho
it might've been a limited time event, all I know is that my younger brother got it cuz he has a Homebrewed 2DS
Ooooh yeah that dress, Oh man I love all the Hello Kitty Sanrio stuff, they are so adorablee

Nah, the Sanrio stuff isnt in Pocket Camp

osby

Smash Obsessed
Quick question before I go into a bit of a longer post but with the inbox/PMs/DMs/whatever-else-it's-called of this site, it's possible to have numerous people in one correct? One that can act as a sort of chatroom where numerous people can post and see each others posts while still being private to those not in it? And as a Premium member I'm able to have up to 50 people in one I believe? I'm sure there's somewhere more appropriate to ask this but my next post will be here so I'm asking here~
I'm not sure about the user limit, but yeah, you can have multiple people in a PM.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Tbh Nintendo would have to bring in hackers from like OurMine and **** to beat their fanbase
intern-kun: "mr sakurai sir, how do we hide the identity of the mementos stage?"
sakurai: "eh just change a few letters around or spell it like a five year old would lmao"

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
we say this like the leaks won't start popping up again as we approach their release
I don't mind too much if it's the result of the ever-accidental Intern-kun or because of code left in the game yet again (as long as there is a bit of mystery and isn't something incredibly blatant), but I'd rather insiders, if they do know anything, largely keep it to themselves

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I'm not sure about the user limit, but yeah, you can have multiple people in a PM.
I checked the Premium page before posting since I recalled seeing something about an increased user limit being a perk. Says "Increase Message Recipients 10 50" So I assume I can have up to 50 (49 others and then myself I imagine) in a PM and all in there can post and see each others posts. Thanks~ I'll elaborate more in a separate post since I don't want it directed at anyone in particular.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Exactly! So why not throw us a bone. Leave us a few hints... or giveaways, hidden in the code for dedicated fans to find and let people who care about being surprised stay blissfully ignorant!
Yeah, it's not like they'll leak to YouTube and every other social media as soon as they're discovered.

D

Deleted member

Part of the paradox is it makes things easier to understand so emotional responses can actually be amplified by it.

A couple of times when I knew something sad was going to happen, it made the events leading up to it all the more tear jerking, to the point they were more emotional than sad stories that I didn't have spoiled.
you still lose that shock value when the value of that character is lost

for example if you knew peter was gonna die from the beginning the whole "i don't feel so good" scene becomes a lot less shocking and tearjerking when you knew he was gonna die the whole time

and besides it's not like all the scenes of tony being super protective of him become any less meaningful because you didn't know peter was gonna die

if anything scenes like the "if you die i feel like that's on me" one were just flashing through my head while he was dying and i was like "oh **** oh **** oh ****"

it's that rush of emotions that hits you like a truck rather then that steady drip of them y'know

Last edited by a moderator:

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991

for example if you knew peter was gonna die from the beginning the whole "i don't feel so good" scene becomes a lot less shocking and tearjerking when you knew he was gonna die the whole time

and besides it's not like all the scenes of tony being super protective of him become any less meaningful because you didn't know peter was gonna die

if anything scenes like the "if you die i feel like that's on me" one were just flashing through my head while he was dying
Isn’t it meant to be obvious he’s gonna die? If it wasn’t he would have been the first to die instead of Bucky

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, it's not like they'll leak to YouTube and every other social media as soon as they're discovered.
i think there should be a rule of good faith in this practice to not put the characters name or picture in the title or thumbnail. Nintendo has the right to take down any videos that break this one rule. Then people who don’t want to know can still stay blind.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
the solution is to leave the DLC fighters' fully-rendered ***cheeks in the files and nothing else

smash fans spend months cultivating a collection of video game ***cheeks to find the perfect match, only to find that none of the characters were actually in and that the true ***cheeks were the friends they made along the way

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

if anything scenes like the "if you die i feel like that's on me" one were just flashing through my head while he was dying and i was like "oh **** oh **** oh ****"

it's that rush of emotions that hits you like a truck rather then that steady drip of them y'know
I think our mindsets when it comes to enjoying film are just completely different and incompatible.

D

Deleted member

If you close your eyes for a while, you’ll notice you can’t see anything.

osby

Smash Obsessed
i think there should be a rule of good faith in this practice to not put the characters name or picture in the title or thumbnail. Nintendo has the right to take down any videos that break this one rule. Then people who don’t want to know can still stay blind.
Either way, I'm not sure why would Nintendo want to give special treatment to fans who look at the codes. What's their gain?

Instead of hoping people to not leak secret info everywhere (which is improbable), making all fans wait equally makes much more sense.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I know there was a study going around that said something like that, but I still really find that...iffy. Like, it still probably depends a lot on the story and what the big twist that gets spoiled was.

It clashes with my personal experience really hard. Time and time again, for instance, have I felt little far a character reveal that was leaked beforehand I didn't feel much from the official confirmation, but when it doesn't get spoiled for me (K.Rool) I find it far more exciting.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
intern-kun: "mr sakurai sir, how do we hide the identity of the mementos stage?"
sakurai: "eh just change a few letters around or spell it like a five year old would lmao"

Alternate answer because Sakurai is a P5 fan

Sakurai: "Why even bother trying? Everyone will know that's the stage he'll get anyway."

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
...no?

if anyone actually predicted that peter was gonna die in infinity war then they're a god because everyone thought he was safe going into this movie lol
Not before the movie, but after Bucky gets killed the audience can tell what’s gonna happen to Peter. Iirc. Part of the impact of the scene is the audience knowing what’s going through their head as Peter is about to die

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Either way, I'm not sure why would Nintendo want to give special treatment to fans who look at the codes. What's their gain?

Instead of hoping people to not leak secret info everywhere (which is improbable), making all fans wait equally makes much more sense.
Because some fans, like me, tend to react negatively to surprises. I’d rather set my expectations and get excited for who we’re actually getting, then get angry because we’re not getting who I wanted in my head.

Like, no joke. That happened with Joker because it wasn’t Banjo or Crash.

But if I know ahead of time I can get that anger out of the way early and spend time learning about and getting excited for the actual characters we’re getting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom