• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The first non-vidya character to get in would be either Popeye or Goku tbh
Honestly, agreed. Goku actually has the extreme requests, and there's no other Dragon Ball character who has a chance, whether they first debuted in a game or not. And they aren't troll requests either. Popeye actually is the inspiration for Mario, making him pretty important in the grand scheme of things. Also, isn't Popeye public domain now? Or is he actually Disney?

Not that I think Mickey and Scrooge are slouches either, but neither are in the same major boat.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, agreed. Goku actually has the extreme requests, and there's no other Dragon Ball character who has a chance, whether they first debuted in a game or not. And they aren't troll requests either. Popeye actually is the inspiration for Mario, making him pretty important in the grand scheme of things. Also, isn't Popeye public domain now? Or is he actually Disney?

Not that I think Mickey and Scrooge are slouches either, but neither are in the same major boat.
Mickey and Scrooge do have the advantage of being connected with two of the companies in Smash now. Nintendo and Square Enix.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

I think that the top 4 non-game characters for Smash should be...

Popeye (Nintendo’s obsession with the ip lead to Mario’s creation)
Scrooge McDuck (Ducktales is considered a NES classic)
James Bond (Pierce Brosnan, Goldeneye 007 is considered a N64 Classic)
Goku (Memes)

Also Popeye isn’t public domain. Some of the indevidual shorts and strips are, but not the characters. The IP rights have been renewed and extended over the years. They are owned by King Features Syndicate and Hearst Holdings.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’m so happy right now...
>I had a great day at high school with my friends.
>I am doing great at the classes.
>I may finally get a definitive date to meet with my friend from Madrid on February

40E33053-7266-4D59-94BD-C0DF871F513F.jpeg

E9E7C806-F881-44A3-A949-F2879B2EF59E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Here are the non game characters that I feel would have a chance, if the doors were ever open

• Popeye- Inspired the original concept for Donkey Kong, and was later adapted into an arcade game by Nintendo, themselves
  • Mickey- The Mario of the film industry, and has seen multiple games on Nintendo systems
  • Goku- The fan requested one, as well as having history with Bandai Namco developed fighters
  • James Bond- Goldeneye 007 is considered one of the pinnacle games of the N64, and one of he greatest games ever made (at least, for it's time)
  • A Star Wars character (If I were to guess, either Darth Vader or Darth Maul)- This one is the least likely out of all of them on this list, but I think it's worth noting as Sakurai is a huge Star Wars fan, and the Beam Sword item is most certainly based on a Light Saber. That, and Nintendo's notable history with Star Wars, with releases like the Rouge Squadron games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Guys
It hasn't even been a week and a half
and yet we're already at Page 309.
Jeez :laugh:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Here are the non game characters that I feel would have a chance, if the doors were ever open

• Popeye- Inspired the original concept for Donkey Kong, and was later adapted into an arcade game by Nintendo, themselves
  • Mickey- The mario of the film industry, and has seen multiple games on Nintendo dydtems
  • Goku- The fan requested one, as well as having history with Bandai Namco developed fighters
  • James Bond- Goldeneye 007 is considered one of the pinnacle games of the N64, and one of he greatest games ever made (at least, for it's time)
  • Scrooge McDuck- Ducktales is considered one of the best licensed games on the NES
  • A Star Wars character (If I were to guess, either Darth Vader or Darth Maul)- This one is the least likely out of all of them on this list, but I think it's worth noting as Sakurai is a huge Star Wars fan, and the Beam Sword item is most certainly based on a Light Saber
Travis Touchdown. That is all.

D

Deleted member

Just curious...
Does anyone else have any non-game dream characters, even if they don't think those characters have a good chance?

D

Deleted member

If we talk about supposed Marvel and DC reps, i see two scenarios happening:

>Sakurai going by the history or the beginnings of both companies (aka, adding Superman and the Fantastic Four).
Or
>Sakurai going by the most popular picks from both (them being Batman and Spider-Man).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Mickey and Scrooge do have the advantage of being connected with two of the companies in Smash now. Nintendo and Square Enix.
Which won't mean anything either. That doesn't make them highly requested choices or important to gaming history alone. Again, no slouches either, but really only Mickey is nearly as big of a deal in comparison. Scrooge actually has more going for him as having an extremely strong well-made game... which is pretty much the same thing for Darkwing Duck too. Meaning that alone isn't really enough of a reason. If we're talking about gaming history all 4 of them have more than enough. Only one actually has the legitimate requests to be noteworthy.

Those two being owned by Disney won't really matter either. Because that doesn't make them remotely a reason for Sakurai to choose at all. The "companies" already in are never a real reason for anything to be chosen. They can be taken into account, but a lot of that is generally for things like Spirits, and Sakurai didn't choose them either, leaving it to his team.

Goku (Memes)
Goku isn't a meme at all. People need to remember that he's a cultural icon and people actually want him because he's actually a huge character and... actually popular. That's not what a meme character is, either. He isn't even known for these, but for that matter, meme characters were actual memes to start with(like Pepe). Goku being wanted is a majorly legit thing. Shrek has more troll votes because in comparison, few actually legitimately wanted him... at least that we know of, but in comparison to Goku, who has tons of legitimate wants, there's really no evidence that Shrek has nearly as much of a legitimate fanbase.

Also, you can add Darkwing Duck in with Scrooge, which is why I don't consider it a real contender here. Just having a good game on the NES isn't enough. On the other hand, you can add Mickey Mouse due to having one of the strongest video game presences of all time. Now for James Bond, it's not about being a Classic, it's about one of the most iconic video games to this day(even if it didn't really spawn a crapload of similar games either. That's more of leaving a major gaming impact to come, not necessarily saying how big or popular the game was).

D

Deleted member

If we talk about supposed Marvel and DC reps, i see two scenarios happening:

>Sakurai going by the history or the beginnings of both companies (aka, adding Superman and the Fantastic Four).
Or
>Sakurai going by the most popular picks from both (them being Batman and Spider-Man).
So basically, what you want, or what the general public wants? :p

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Which won't mean anything either. That doesn't make them highly requested choices or important to gaming history alone. Again, no slouches either, but really only Mickey is nearly as big of a deal in comparison. Scrooge actually has more going for him as having an extremely strong well-made game... which is pretty much the same thing for Darkwing Duck too. Meaning that alone isn't really enough of a reason. If we're talking about gaming history all 4 of them have more than enough. Only one actually has the legitimate requests to be noteworthy.

Those two being owned by Disney won't really matter either. Because that doesn't make them remotely a reason for Sakurai to choose at all. The "companies" already in are never a real reason for anything to be chosen. They can be taken into account, but a lot of that is generally for things like Spirits, and Sakurai didn't choose them either, leaving it to his team.

Goku isn't a meme at all. People need to remember that he's a cultural icon and people actually want him because he's actually a huge character and... actually popular. That's not what a meme character is, either. He isn't even known for these, but for that matter, meme characters were actual memes to start with(like Pepe). Goku being wanted is a majorly legit thing. Shrek has more troll votes because in comparison, few actually legitimately wanted him... at least that we know of, but in comparison to Goku, who has tons of legitimate wants, there's really no evidence that Shrek has nearly as much of a legitimate fanbase.

Also, you can add Darkwing Duck in with Scrooge, which is why I don't consider it a real contender here. Just having a good game on the NES isn't enough. On the other hand, you can add Mickey Mouse due to having one of the strongest video game presences of all time. Now for James Bond, it's not about being a Classic, it's about one of the most iconic video games to this day(even if it didn't really spawn a crapload of similar games either. That's more of leaving a major gaming impact to come, not necessarily saying how big or popular the game was).
Considered people remember Ducktales fondly enough to make a spiritual successor (Shovel Knight) I think Scrooge can throw his weight around a bit here.

D

Deleted member

I gotta go. Thanks for such a fun-filled semester, guys! :laugh:
See y'all on Friday. :3

Pakky

Smash Hero
In before Trump uses campaign money to buy a spot on the smash roster.
No politics please we have enough of the with Nintendo's nonsense already.

Also the online input lag in Smash Ultimate is the worst I have ever seen in a modern video game.

Like I hope things get better but it pains that I can't play against people with same rules as me 50% or the time and on top of that there's input lag and weird 'windboxes?' on moves that I had no idea even existed via execution.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Goku (Memes)

Also Popeye isn’t public domain. Some of the indevidual shorts and strips are, but not the characters. The IP rights have been renewed and extended over the years. They are owned by King Features Syndicate and Hearst Holdings.
Popeye is public domain worldwide except the US. And that is until 2024 IIRC.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Considered people remember Ducktales fondly enough to make a spiritual successor (Shovel Knight) I think Scrooge can throw his weight around a bit here.
Which makes him no slouch. Doesn't make him a serious contender among the extremely major characters or give him an actual advantage in requests. None of this means he's being necessarily even considered. Having an extensive gaming history is a far bigger advantage than having one noteworthy game. I have quite a lot of respect for the character, but that doesn't make him a strong contender either.

He's an amazing idea for a moveset, but that's really his only true advantage right now. Again, having one amazing game alone won't do it for actually being considered. You have to remember that when it comes to Disney, he still looses out to the far bigger Mickey Mouse(who has a far bigger gaming history, including have two unique game counterparts). That's severely strong competition. And this is ignoring Sora, who definitely has a strong advantage of being a game character. So with two actually bigger options, I doubt he'd get further than those two. Besides, being a cultural icon is a far bigger deal than having a strong game that inspired another game.

Keep in mind I love the character too, but I don't see his current standings at much of a legitimate advantage here. Not saying I wouldn't love to play as him if we're ignoring realistic factors in likeliness, though. Though I might prefer Cranky more, as he has some similar abilities these days, heh.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Popeye is public domain outside the US, but he'll be public domain here in just a few years.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I think my science teacher was actually
Dharkon
in disguise
I mean why else would she be such a ****ing *****
Because
Doing some thinking, what has Undertale contributed to the RP genre?
It has popularized the "Games inspired by Earthbound", right now a lot of indie games say that and try to be the new Undertale.
Also, is probably the first RPG game where you can beat it in level 1, without killing anything and without the need of farming.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Popeye is public domain worldwide except the US. And that is until 2024 IIRC.
Popeye is public domain outside the US, but he'll be public domain here in just a few years.
Did Golden and Oppossum become echoes? :troll:

Joking aside, goddamnit, US. But yeah, I think this is another advantage Popeye has. As public domain, the actual main issue Sakurai has, licensing, is no more. Though to be honest, the only thing he'd have to figure out is how to make his moveset fun. Assuming he actually would allow a non-game character as playable under any condition(which is still a barrier to break).

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
if Disney by some freak chance got a non-KH character in Smash, i don't see any conceivable way it'd be anyone but Mickey.

edit: doot doot 1000 posts

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I had thought it released on Friday. I was so disappointed when I got home, saw no game, and learned that the 25th was just the Japan release date. Gotta get through a full day of work today and tomorrow before I can finally enjoy it for a little bit. It's getting harder and harder to resist temptation and look some stuff up, but I will hold out! I will go in with only earlier trailers as knowledge!!
I admire your dedication lol I cave a way to soon on that but man, if Im still super excited
if Disney by some freak chance got a non-KH character in Smash, i don't see any conceivable way it'd be anyone but Mickey.
and Im pretty sure he will have his keyblade and his KH moves

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Did Golden and Oppossum become echoes? :troll:

Joking aside, goddamnit, US. But yeah, I think this is another advantage Popeye has. As public domain, the actual main issue Sakurai has, licensing, is no more. Though to be honest, the only thing he'd have to figure out is how to make his moveset fun. Assuming he actually would allow a non-game character as playable under any condition(which is still a barrier to break).
Considering the USA is the only place he’s still copyrighted, those US rightsholders are gonna fight tooth and nail to prevent that from happening. Otherwise the same thing will also happen to Mickey Mouse in a few years (something Disney will not allow).

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Hey um Zoe is back in my avatar
Honestly if she made it into Smash y'all would be mad at first, but you would come to accept her eventually
No, I really wouldn't. Zoe is from a show made for young girls that doesn't feature any sort of physical fighting and would seem extremely out of place and off-brand (and no, its not the same thing as Animal Crossing, Wii Fit, etc getting in as those are not only actually games but Nintendo owned IP). She doesn't belong in Smash regardless of how you feel about the character. I feel the same way about My Little Pony despite actually liking that show and it actually having more fighting, if not so violent.
And this is why I hate my life
Wot?
Doing some thinking, what has Undertale contributed to the RP genre?
As far as I'm aware its the first RPG that you can beat by being a (near) complete pacifist. It also has intelligent and funny writing similar to the EarthBound series.
That doesn't really count for anything.
Beyond that, Dragon Ball actually has its license owned by Namco Bandai while Disney just allows Square-Enix to develop the Kingdom Hearts series (and Capcom hasn't had the Disney License for years, just getting the okay for releases/remasters of old NES games occasionally)

I also feel people would be very upset if a Disney character got in and it wasn't Sora who is infinitely more requested then Mickey or Scrooge and is actually a video game character.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Considering the USA is the only place he’s still copyrighted, those US rightsholders are gonna fight tooth and nail to prevent that from happening. Otherwise the same thing will also happen to Mickey Mouse in a few years (something Disney will not allow).
Disney is still making Mickey Mouse content. Popeye content isn't the case. They have a very small chance of keeping Popeye as they need to prove they'll use the IP. Mickey Mouse is extremely active and them renewing the copyright isn't an issue at all.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Forgot to post this yesterday when a few people were arguing about pirating/emulation, so thank you for reminding me.

Was listening to this while at work and I thought it was pretty informative & entertaining. If you can listen to at least the first 20 minutes or so they go over the differences between trademarks, copyright & patents within the USA (and the many loopholes that will create a Disney controlled dystopian future), and the differences between emulation & piracy.

https://retronauts.com/article/1087/hoist-the-jolly-roger-as-episode-195-sails-into-piracy

Yes I'm promoting yet another Retronauts episode. Video Game History is an underappreciated medium. :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I want to present the thread my new avatar.

30A2FA10-7A7A-4DA5-956E-204C9B5DB925.jpeg

Huge thanks to Masked Marshmallow Masked Marshmallow for the Crash, Jet Jaguar and Fantastic Four sprites (I owe him one for making them)! The Samus sprite was taken from Super Mario Maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom