• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Odyssey is actually good because it doesn't waste your time with 'comedy' and kicks you in the game, and you're constantly rewarded for being good at the game as you have a seemingly limitless way to go around everything. Most of the stuff in Banjo is "Look for the specific thing!" and then you get rewarded, Odyssey makes me feel like I'm ACTUALLY exploring because I get my skills put to the test to get around to my destination, whereas Banjo goes "LOOK! **** TO PICK UP! YOU MUST GO HERE!"

"Cla reads 2 lemons while drinking 2 glasses of pure freshly squeezed lemon juice". Do it in a wine glass to look fancy
Times certainly changed because Odyssey kicks the **** out of Banjo. I see where you're coming from. Banjo isn't for everybody.

D

Deleted member

Alright guys, let’s get to know each other a bit, just for fun. You can just answer these questions with this format.

Favorite Game:
Favorite Game Hero:
Favorite Game Villian:
Favorite Game Console:
Favorite Game Company:
Favorite Indie Game:
Favorite Boss Battle:
Favorite Arcade Game:

Here are mine, I guess.

Favorite Game: Smash Ultimate
Favorite Game Hero: Gavin (Yeah I’m biased)
Favorite Game Villian: King K. Rool
Favorite Game Console: Nintendo Switch
Favorite Game Company: Nintendo
Favorite Indie Game: FNAF
Favorite Boss Battle: The Devil (Cuphead)
Favorite Arcade Game: Galaga
Favorite Game: Monster Hunter World
Favorite Game Hero: Alucard (Castlevania)
Favorite console: PC if that counts. LMAO
Favorite Game Company: N/A
Favorite Indie Game: Shovel Knight
Favorite Boss Battle: Galacta Knight is always fun.
Favorite Arcade Game: Mortal Kombat 1. Maybe MK2 if the AI didn't literally read your every input.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Don’t get me wrong- I love the game, for sure

Though I’m the type of person that, after I beat it, I proceeded to find the best routes to decimate the little time trial leaderboards
I'm generally terrible at speedrunning, I prefer to play the game in a way that feels right to me more than in an optimal way.

The only game I've ever "speed run" is Sonic Generations, in the form of the online Time Trial leaderboard, but for me that was moreso about "optimising good play" rather than exploiting glitches and sequence breaking (except for Planet Wisp Act 2, because skipping that Boost Pad and trying to navigate the invisible structure is both pretty fun and quicker than actually playing the level); Crash NST also technically counts by the leaderboard metric, to a lesser extent.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
everybody send me suggestions for "cla reading 2 lemons" I'm about to start recording
PM'd.

Also a note on the Fire Emblem playthrough, but that's going to have to wait for about a month and a half since I need to buy a 2DS XL, redownload everything, and get the mods running. Same with the Rising Ruby leg of my Generationlocke and onwards. Just so you all know.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Gwen'ashr'flemgolybean's cool peeps list:
#1: Cutie Gwen
#2-∞: ???
We're all at zero while Gwen herself is number 1 times infinity.
Hell no I'm just barely above Shish, TERFs, antivaxxers and nazis

You're also comparing a 1998 game to a 2017 one.

If you've ever tried to collect everything in a Banjo level you'll find it rewards exploration as much, if not more than Mario 64 does.
Games in 1993 and 1997 gave me more reason to actually want to explore than "Hey pick the collectables up!"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Only Mario game I can feel kind of "eeeeehhhhh" on sometimes is Sunshine. I'm not super into the F.L.U.D.D. mechanics. :drshrug:

I love the world and aesthetic of the game, though.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm generally terrible at speedrunning, I prefer to play the game in a way that feels right to me more than in an optimal way.

The only game I've ever "speed run" is Sonic Generations, in the form of the online Time Trial leaderboard, but for me that was moreso about "optimising good play" rather than exploiting glitches and sequence breaking (except for Planet Wisp Act 2, because skipping that Boost Pad and trying to navigate the invisible structure is both pretty fun and quicker than actually playing the level); Crash NST also technically counts by the leaderboard metric, to a lesser extent.
I refuse to speedrun anything I haven’t enjoyed at least once already

I also don’t speedrun “professionally” or submit times or anything, I just do it cause it is satisfying seeing how quick I can finish.

I can’t believe I typed those words in that order

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
Times certainly changed because Odyssey kicks the **** out of Banjo. I see where you're coming from. Banjo isn't for everybody.
This is what I’m talking about. This is what I hate. I don’t like the Mario Universe. I think the characters are dumb and annoying and everything is just too nice and polished and bouncy for me. But Mario survived to have a monopoly on one of my favorite genres and Banjo didn’t.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I feel like I enjoy 3D Mario more than 2D. Sunshine in particular is my jam. But I ****s with Mario World. Though I would say I enjoy 2D Metroid and Kirby on the whole a bit more since your characters can do a ton of cool things. And obviously people know I ****s with Mega Man and Mega Man X, which also lets your characters do cool ****. I haven't played a ton of Castlevania, but I feel like I'd like them.

Wish they made another Peach platformer, **** was lowkey hype. It'd be even better if you could replace Peach with Daisy or Rosalina, but have a similar playstyle.

KMDP

Smash Legend

I also don’t speedrun “professionally” or submit times or anything, I just do it cause it is satisfying seeing how quick I can finish.

I don't have the desire to speedrun games, playing the same game over and over and over is just not for me.

ToasterBrains: "it's satisfying seeing how quick I can finish."
ToasterBrains' Girlfriend: "I hate you."

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
This is what I’m talking about. This is what I hate. I don’t like the Mario Universe. I think the characters are dumb and annoying and everything is just too nice and polished and bouncy for me. But Mario survived to have a monopoly on one of my favorite genres and Banjo didn’t.
Well, that’s probably because he’s Mr. Nintendo himself...

I like Banjo more in general as well, but I wouldn’t go this far with it

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Also a note on the Fire Emblem playthrough, but that's going to have to wait for about a month and a half since I need to buy a 2DS XL, redownload everything, and get the mods running. Same with the Rising Ruby leg of my Generationlocke and onwards. Just so you all know.
What mods are you applying to Fates?

I didn't realize the 3DS was easy to mod.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Only Mario game I can feel kind of "eeeeehhhhh" on sometimes is Sunshine. I'm not super into the F.L.U.D.D. mechanics. :drshrug:

I love the world and aesthetic of the game, though.
Speaking of Sunshine, while I hardly think we need any more variations of World 1-1 in the Smash soundtrack, having an actual acapella version of the secret level music would be dope

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Luck of the draw, friend.
Sometimes, the things you like just don't survive.

Stares longingly at Scalebound.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
For me, in the context of the N64, Banjo Tooie was leaps and bounds more fun than Mario 64

But Mario 64 is also pretty fun

D

Deleted member

I like to time myself in Kirby games and Mario games sometimes. Those games are always really satisfying to play optimally.

My absolute favorite things to do in games though is get better at well designed boss fights. I wish boss rush modes were an industry standard thing in games; part of why I still love Brawl is for that boss rush mode.

D

Deleted member

Wish they made another Peach platformer, **** was lowkey hype. It'd be even better if you could replace Peach with Daisy or Rosalina, but have a similar playstyle.
I'm surprised we haven't gotten a straight up Bowser game at this point, he's the only major Mario character without his own full game.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I just want to see if any new Mario game will ever go back to the Minus World again, in some creative way.

The answer is clear, but my imagination is not.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm surprised we haven't gotten a straight up Bowser game at this point, he's the only major Mario character without his own full game.
That would be awesome.
Hope that he has his Paper Mario: TTYD personality

Actually just make a Paper Bowser game and absolve yourselves of your sins, Nintendo

D

Deleted member

Well, for starters, Mario was always destined for greatness.

D

Deleted member

BiS is the closest we've ever gotten and it still isn't good enough IMO.

I want a game where I play as Bowser the whole way through, not just half of it. BiS' Bowser segments being more fun than the Bros.' just makes me want a full Bowser game even more...

D

Deleted member

Alright guys, let’s get to know each other a bit, just for fun. You can just answer these questions with this format.

Favorite Game:
Favorite Game Hero:
Favorite Game Villian:
Favorite Game Console:
Favorite Game Company:
Favorite Indie Game:
Favorite Boss Battle:
Favorite Arcade Game:

Here are mine, I guess.

Favorite Game: Smash Ultimate
Favorite Game Hero: Gavin (Yeah I’m biased)
Favorite Game Villian: King K. Rool
Favorite Game Console: Nintendo Switch
Favorite Game Company: Nintendo
Favorite Indie Game: FNAF
Favorite Boss Battle: The Devil (Cuphead)
Favorite Arcade Game: Galaga
Favorite Game: TLoZ: TP. I've enjoyed better games but goddamn this one strikes my Nostalgia™ cords

Favorite Game Hero: Oof, this is a tough one. I don't usually end up caring about main protags too much since side characters are almost always more interesting. BotW Link, then

Favorite Game Villain:
DeepFryer_20190324_210714.jpg

Favorite Console: Objectively the Switch is better but the GameCube because of Nostalgia™

Favorite Company: Nintendo

Favorite Indie Game: Hyper Light Drifter

Favorite Boss Battle: Metal Sonic's true form from Sonic Heroes. Once again, Nostalgia™

Favorite Arcade Game: Don't have one

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Favorite Game: Dragon Age II
Favorite Game Hero: Chris Redfield
Favorite Game Villian: The Illusive Man
Favorite Game Console: New 3DS XL
Favorite Game Company: Capcom
Favorite Indie Game: Oxenfree
Favorite Boss Battle: KoShi and RoShi (Nier Automata C-route final boss before The Decision™)
Favorite Arcade Game: Street Fighter III Third Strike

Weird that I didn't put a single Sega thing on this list. Huh.
The number 1 Jill dude on the site and his favorite is actually Chris Redfield?

What buffoonery is this?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Mario is like Nintendo’s son, and Banjo is like that kid that was allowed to be in Nintendo’s house until Nintendo sold his parents to Bill Gates

D

Deleted member

Personally, I just like Mario (especially SM64, Galaxy and Sunshine) more due to gameplay reasons. Mario controls feel pretty good in pretty much every game, and I found that his games are just a joy to play.

I think this whole Banjo/Mario conversation has gone long enough and I feel that we should just agree to disagree at this point since I don't think anyone wants to drag this **** any longer.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

Same here.

I only speedrun games once I have nothing else to do in the game.

Which pretty much just the New Super Mario Bros (b/c they are super easy for me).

The only 2 games I play competitively in general are Smash Ultimate and Dragon Ball FighterZ.

Mostly the former, but I barely stay in Elite Smash for more than like... 3 matches b/c I tend to go on a losing streak when I'm actually in Elite

And then I start winning against people in Elite when I'm not in Elite...

It's a constant cycle of pain and misery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom