• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
In regards to the Mother cast, Ness never really spoke in EarthBound, but Lucas definitely sure spoke quite a bit in Mother 3 during the end and some in Chapter 1.
Ah, okay. Never played Mother 3 and most of what I know about it comes from online osmosis lol. I just assumed he was like Ness, I guess.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I mean, Mario can talk, so I don't think there'd be anything too weird about giving Mario dialogue.

Ignoring the Mario cast though, there'd still be:
:ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultsamus:/:ultzss::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena::ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultchrom::ultlucina::ultrobin::ultcorrinf::ultfalcon::ultmetaknight::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultpokemontrainer::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultwiifittrainer::ultshulk::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultryu::ultken::ultcloud::ultbayonetta: and Joker.

Then there's also the fringe cases.

:ultolimar: and :ultisabelle: speak in their home series and have digitized voices, but they don't speak in Smash.
:ultmegaman: and :ultpacman: straight up speak in their home series, without the need for text boxes, but don't speak in Smash.
:ultlittlemac: is a weird case. He cheers and stuff when he wins, even going "Yeah!" and stuff, and he speaks through text boxes in the NES game, but he mostly stays quiet. He's not incapable of speech though. So he's like the Mario cast in this way.
:ultridley: speaks in the Metroid manga, which is apparently canon.
:ultness: and :ultlucas: speak a bit in Smash, but mostly in short bursts to say their attack names and "Okay" for Ness.

So that's a good amount of the cast covered. The only truly silent/unintelligible ones would be, off the top of my head:
:ultpiranha::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultyoshi::ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultvillager::ultinkling::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt::ultmiifighters:
The Kongs speak in DK64, and DK Jungle Climber.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Zelda acts as a guide of Link during some parts of BOTW.
It is possible.
I'll just say this again.

I've always said that sense the reason they don't talk in the main games is because they're supposed to represent the player. That's not what they're supposed to be in Smash. In Smash they're supposed to represent themselves. So I think the Links speaking would make sense here, if nowhere else.

D

Deleted member

Not only did I forget they spoke in DK64, apparently I forgot Jungle Climber even existed. :p
Too bad.
It is a fantastic game, and it introduced me to K.Rool.

I'll just say this again.

I've always said that sense the reason they don't talk in the main games is because they're supposed to represent the player. That's not what they're supposed to be in Smash. In Smash they're supposed to represent themselves. So I think the Links speaking would make sense here, if nowhere else.
That take is actually interesting.
It is possible that some people still dislike the idea of Link talking because of the cartoon. But if Nintendo manages to pull it better, I would find it fine.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not only did I forget they spoke in DK64, apparently I forgot Jungle Climber even existed. :p
Everyone does, shamefully. Up till today it used way more Rare created DKC characters and enemies than any other game.

Iridium

Smash Hero
The only actual time I can actually think of the Links "speaking" is if they're asked a question by another character/NPC and give an answer. Really nothing else aside from some brief phrases uttered in Wind Waker.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
The only actual time I can actually think of the Links "speaking" is if they're asked a question by another character/NPC and give an answer. Really nothing else aside from some brief phrases uttered in Wind Waker.
I just think about the CDI games.

"Geez it sure is boring around here" "How about a kiss? For luck." "Golly"

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
If they wanted characters to talk, they'll make them talk. Even if they never did before.

Ideas and concepts are constantly evolving. I think we are one step away from a fully voiced Link.

D

Deleted member

If they wanted characters to talk, they'll make them talk. Even if they never did before.

Ideas and concepts are constantly evolving. I think we are one step away from a fully voiced Link.
You must be mistaken. We already have a fullen voiced link. :4pacman:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Cloud is in World of Light but I don't think this matters. Worst case scenario they'll pull a :ultwolf::ulttoonlink::ultjigglypuff: and have him in a secret door after the story, except he'd be intentionally this way rather than due to development hell.

The reason they don't do it is because Sakurai got salty that people post things on the Internet ahead of time...when the game released earlier for Japan than the rest of the world.
Yeah I know, it’s why I called it a hot take lol.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The reason they don't do it is because Sakurai got salty that people post things on the Internet ahead of time...when the game released earlier for Japan than the rest of the world.
And SSE was a time sink but... nah, Sakurai is petty has a better ring to it.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
And SSE was a time sink but... nah, Sakurai is petty has a better ring to it.
Oh yeah that was certainly an issue.

Let's not pretend Sakurai never said that either, though.

Noipoi

Howdy!
The dialogue for the masters in WoL was great. I wish the characters had dialogue, maybe after you unlocked them or something.

D

Deleted member

JD just linked it but goddamn this Picrew thing really took off. I'm surprised there are men here who decided to use it too as from what I can tell it's mostly trans women using this
Even if it is to create a female character, i would lie if i said that the one i made (who can be seen on my avatar) doesn’t almost look like me.

D

Deleted member

Please no.

Link doesn't need to talk.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Please no.

Link doesn't need to talk.
Technically no video game character needs to talk.

But we're in 2019 old men! How many times do I have to teach you this lesson!

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
The dialogue for the masters in WoL was great. I wish the characters had dialogue, maybe after you unlocked them or something.
Is that even called dialogue if only one character speaks? Anyway, it'd be cool, Persona also had this thing where Personas talk with you briefly when you summoned them first time.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Cloud is in World of Light but I don't think this matters. Worst case scenario they'll pull a :ultwolf::ulttoonlink::ultjigglypuff: and have him in a secret door after the story, except he'd be intentionally this way rather than due to development hell.

Then again it would be pretty frustrating and time consuming to make a feasible amount of cutscenes with 76 characters.

Despite how long it takes to beat World of Light I honestly enjoyed it more than Subspace.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom