• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Soul Calibur 2 is one of my favorite fighting games and Soul Calibur 6 seems to be returning to what I liked about the series. Let's just have a bunch of people with weapons try to strike each others openings. It's like fencing but grander and with a kickass soundtrack.
Yeah same. I'm just not sure if I like the new special meter mechanic. seems to do too much damage.
makes me think if of final smashes, and that's not in the competitive scene.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'm about to write a fanfic about this thread right here right now.

I'm gonna post it directly here.

And you're gonna hate it.
If you write a fanfic and post it on this thread I will open up a PM and punish you with an introductory course in my OCs.

And a couple of lewds.

Think carefully now.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
What would he fight like? Does he use weapons?
He doesn't necessarily use weapons, but not all SoulCalibur characters have to wield them...

There better be some juicy user shipping...

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
what don't give people hope like this cause this just isn't true. some people just have nobody. people usually don't just "come along" you might have to make an effort in meeting them or talking to them
what do you think the coal you get from santa for being naughty turns into when you plant it in your garden

D

Deleted member

man i was so close to ****ing you in the last one stay faaaar far away from that situation i cant go back to prison grace still has beef y'know what im saying

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
prime games go after other m IIRC
The Prime games take place in-between the original Metroid and II: Samus Returns. It's stated as such officially and that's the reason why Ridley shows up in a half cyborg form in the remake.

Other M takes place before Fusion, which is the last game in the timeline.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
If you write a fanfic and post it on this thread I will open up a PM and punish you with an introductory course in my OCs.

And a couple of lewds.

Think carefully now.

He's probably more motivated rn

D

Deleted member

Yeah same. I'm just not sure if I like the new special meter mechanic. seems to do too much damage.
makes me think if of final smashes, and that's not in the competitive scene.
It's a major turnoff for me. It feels like items in Mario Kart. I can't take them seriously because I feel they're less skill based and more "I hope I land this one single move" based.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Idon Idon you weren’t kidding. I wish I knew more about the Shin Megani Tensei series so I can critique this, but it sounds pretty solid.
Yeah, I know nobody understands the backstory about what I'm talking about, so at least make it visually interesting I guess.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
speaking of sword users

did someone beat me to the punch on the haohmaru support thread

D

Deleted member

gwen should die make sure that happens

not like heroically either she should literally just fall down some stairs
haha what a ****ing loser horrorterror

imagine her johns oh gl'bgolyb didnt set the untouchable rails right last time. prod t't old mule. mphmf ad't serve tis cheat buyer't. Gi salt pickle taste't fine fu ham. t't tong't lay llll t't ice pail. mend t't coat futfore jalu bug jgngn

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend
speaking of sword users

did someone beat me to the punch on the haohmaru support thread
Well, you can always go to the Character Support threads and search "Haohmaru" under "Search Titles Only" and "This Forum".

When I was counting supporters I didn't see Haohmaru, but that was months ago and recent developments may have changed that.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Gifs.
Lots and lots of gifs.
Unique Trait/Gimmick- Demon summoning
Playstyle archetype- mid-range space control

Kazuya (better known as "The Neutral Hero" of Shin Megami Tensei), is unlike most JRPG heroes in that completely unable to use any form of magic. As such he has to rely mostly on weapons and his demons to attack his foes. He comes equipped with his deadly katana, and a sci-fi pistol high-power pistol.

His specials are unique in that it is not him that is actively casting these spells- it’s his demons. While this incurs a longer “cast time” until an active effect is applied on the game, it also means that he can move while the spell is being cast, leading to mix-ups and setups otherwise impossible for everyone else (Imagine Zelda’s Phantom Knight summon except much more versatile and applicable to more situations). Instead of the specials being specific moves to zone out the enemy and push them back, the knockback is instead directed towards the player so they can finish the enemy off themselves. The demons don't fight for you; they fight with you, so pull your weight.

This is combined with his unorthodox ability to have access to a ranged weapon at all times and a disjointed blade for several of his attacks comes at the cost of a rather sluggish ground and air speed and slower than average startup for his close range attacks. His powerful disjointed attacks and complete control of mid and long range should more than make up for that. Pushing momentum and keeping a safe distance will be key to victory. Just like in the game, one mistake could spell your doom, but keep the momentum up and you'll be sure to prevail.

Instead of a typical fantasy motif, he has a retro sci-fi theme for his abilities and focuses on the act of summoning rather than direct spellcasting.

Disclaimer: Yes, he uses a gun, which isn't allowed in Smash looking at Snake. However, guns that aren't realistic like Bayonetta and Fox, Falco, and Wolf are fine. The solution is simple then. For most attacks that aren't explicitly long range, the damage is only located in the muzzle flare and the guns themselves are blockier and more sci-fi than a normal gun. For example:
>Miscellaneous animations
Stance: Gun and Sword Stance
With his left hand he holds up a pistol vertically, ready to fire it and in his right he holds a katana ready to slice foes near him.
(Most SMT protagonists carry two weapons, a sword and gun)
Intro animation: Dramatic Terminal Entrance
White Lightning strikes his point of entry as Kazuya appears leaping into the air and drawing his blade and gun
(Flynn's teleportation animation from SMT4 and Raidou Kuzunoha’s Boss Battle in SMT3)
Idle: Menu management
When idling, he puts his pistol hand down horizontally in front of his face to look at his Hand Computer, or COMP, clicking away at it while various screens pop up.
(SMT games have a large amount of menu-management. The screens that pop up have the UI from Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers)
Walk: Cautious walk
Similar to Marth's except his left hand has his gun raised up ready to fire.
Run: Alert Sprint
Similar to Marth's except his left hand has his gun raised up ready to fire.
Shield: Tetrakarn/Makarakarn
Holds his katana up diagonally to block incoming attacks while bracing it with his left forearm, making an X shape.
The shield will look a bit unique with a pixel-y texture to it.
(Spell in SMT games that makes the user invulnerable from all threats physical or magical)
>Dodges: Avoid
Back Roll: Guarding Backflip
Does a quick backflip
(Raidou Kuzunoha's backflip in his 2nd game)
Front Roll: Dive Roll
Does a dodge-roll
(Raidou Kuzunoha's forward roll in his 2nd game)

Spot Dodge: Sukukaja
Deftly ducks to the background with a slight teal effect covering their body
(Sukukaja buff in SMT games)
Air Dodge: -Avoid
Lunges body in direction of air-dodge. Has a slight teal effect.
(Sukukaja buff in SMT games)
Shield Broken: Confused!
Kazuya will be dizzy and hunched over, clutching his left arm with his right hand.
(Raidou's low-HP or inflicted ailment pose)
>Get-up Moves: Death Counter\
Ledge Attack: Desperate Hit
Reaches up and fires 2 shots above the ledge before rolling on.
(Almighty attack used by Demonee-Ho, a gun-toting Jack Frost)
Face Down Attack: Relatiate
Fires a shot above his head (in front) and does a spin slash to cover the area behind him. Little damage, little knockback. The sword hit does slightly more damage and more knockback.
(Skill that activates when the player is hit with a physical attack)
Face Up Attack: Counter
Fires a shot above his head (behind him) before doing an arcing slash forward to cover the area above and in front of him. Little damage, little knockback.
(Skill that activates when the player is hit with a physical attack)
Normal Get Up: Endure!
Stabs his sword into the ground and uses it as leverage to pull himself up.
Dodge Get Up: Avoid!
Rolls backwards or forwards.
>Kirby Copy Ability: Jack Frost
Kirby appears to be wearing a Jack Frost hat, the iconic mascot of Atlus and MegaTen as a whole. He casts the bufu line of skills directly instead of summoning someone to do it.
The reason for this is that it reduces the workload required so 8 different Kirby copy appearances don't have to be made for 8 of the different alternate costumes.
(It's also way cuter.)
>Specials: Bad Company

His specials have 3 unique traits about them.
  1. The spells' effects are not done by the player. The player summons demons who will then cast the spell
  2. During the summoning process, he can charge the spell about to be casted to unleash more powerful versions with more devestating effects.
  3. Their abilities are purely meant as support for the player. They won’t be kill-moves in and of themselves and will tend to knock the enemy toward the player rather than away.

Neutral B: Jack Frost's ice
  • During the summoning, Kazuya raises his left hand vertically to his face as ice effect swirls arounds his COMP. Releasing it jerks his hand down, summoning Jack Frost.
  • Uses the bufu line of ice spells. When summoned, Jack Frost will begin casting an ice trail along the ground close to the player. If in the air, it will instead be a faint icy mist. When released, the ice will freeze anyone on or inside it setting them up for follow-ups, encasing them in an ice block similar to Lucas’s PK Freeze and popping them up. This does extreme shield damage, due to it’s slow nature of summoning and is more useful for threatening enemies who play it safe and block to be on their toes. The damage here is the lowest as its utility is far better than the other specials.
  • Longer charge times will make Jack frost cast bufula and then bufudyne, granting a larger vertical hitbox and longer freeze times.

Down B: Pixie's lightning
  • During the summoning, Kazuya raises his left hand to the sky, electricity swirling around his COMP. Releasing it makes him slam his palm to the floor, summoning Pixie.
  • Uses the zio line of electric spells. When summoned, Pixie will summon a storm high above the player. When released, lightning will strike down opponents towards Kazuya's feet, dragging any enemies down along the way. Similar to Pikachu’s Thunder, except the lightning striking down from slightly in front of Kazuya so he can follow up before the enemy hits the ground. This does percent damage greater than angel’s force due to being quite situational.
  • Longer charge times turn the spell into zionga and ziodyne, increasing the height and speed and slightly increasing the horizontal size.

Up B: Angel's force
  • During the summoning, Kazuya’s left hand is horizontal at his side, green wind swirling around his COMP. Releasing it makes him raise his hand to the sky, summoning Angel.
  • Uses the zan line of force spells. When summoned, Angel will form a gale beneath the player's feet. When released, wind will quickly blast the area around the player’s feet, launching them and enemies nearby into the air. The player is not in a helpless state during the ascent, but IS helpless on the descent, leading to potential kills on hit. This does percent damage less than pixie’s lightning due to being a recovery move.
  • Longer charge times turn the spell into zanma and zandyne, increasing the horizontal hitbox and percentage damage to the enemy.
  • (Side note: Due to its nature as a recovery move, it will have a slightly longer summon time, but an almost instantaneous cast time)

Side B:Jack O'Lantern's fire
  • When summoning, Kazuya raises his hand to his other shoulder, fire swirling around his COMP. Releasing it swings his hand out, summoning Pyro Jack.
  • Uses the agi line of fire spells. When summoned, Jack O'Lantern will incant a fiery spell a medium sized distance away from the player, say half of Final Destination’s distance. When released, a fiery explosion will knock the enemy towards the player to follow up. Percentage wise, this is the highest damaging of all the specials since it requires specific spacing to be effective.
  • Longer charge times turn the spell into agilao and agidyne, increasing the hitbox, damage, and knocking the enemy towards the players at more aggressive angles.
>Normals: Physical and Gun Skills

Jabs: Dark Sword
Jab 1: Ichi
A horizontal slash from right to left with his katana. Decent range and is extremely safe on shield. Sluggish start to compensate for exceptional jab range.
Jab 2: Ni
A diagonal slash from slightly low left to a slightly high right. Also safe on shield, but has a shorter range due to being primarily a linking move. Low endlag leading to a possible mixup between the final jabs or going into a grab.
Jab 3: San
A diagonal, almost vertical, slash from very high right to the ground on the left. Unsafe on shield, and has low killing power, but pushes the enemy at an aggressive low angle and has decent damage.
(Raidou Kuzunoha's triple square combo in his own games)
Tilts: Fatal Sword
Up Tilt: Big Gamble
Does a jumping rising slash, which leaves the user airborne. Leads to more aerial pressure, and has average killing power. Similar to Megaman’s upper, but focused more around damage and potential pressure afterwards instead of raw killing.
(Yu Narukami's rising slash in Persona 4 Arena)
Forward Tilt: Hell Thrust
Does a quick advancing stab with decent killing power, moves him noticeably forward. During this attack, he is very low to the ground, and is invulnerable to weak projectiles. With an exceptional stabbing range made longer by its advancing position and it’s killing potential, it’s sure to be one of his staple killing moves, along Ike’s ftilt. However, to compensate for this, this ftilt has below average endlag and is extremely punishable if blocked due to pressing up right into the shield’s face on top of the endlag.
(Raidou Kuzunoha's forward+square attack in his first game)
Down Tilt: Circle Slash
Does a quick spinning slash toward the enemy's feet diagonally downward. Hits twice at Kazuya's lower-front and once behind him higher up. This move pops the enemy diagonally upwards and covers a huge range in front and behind him. Not as fast or safe compared to a dtilt like Marth’s, but has more range and its double hitting property might get past shields the second time.
(Raidou Kuzunoha's charge attack in his first game)
Dash Attack: Mist Rush + Godslaying Sword
Moves so quickly he is temporarily shrouded in mist. He appears to teleport a short distance and begins pressuring the enemy with a barrage of slashes. At minimum hits only twice and pops which pops the enemy up for continued pressure.
(Kazuya's multi-hit attack in SMT4:A's DLC)
Additional inputs can add more hits up to 4, with one more last hit with mediocre killing power. Instead of a horizontal slash, it is a downwards diagonal flip slash.
(Flynn’s overworld slash from SMT4 and a reference to his ultimate attack in SMT4A)
>Smashes: Akasha Arts

Forward: Lightspeed Slash + Gideon Bullet
Two part forward-Smash similar to Link. First part readies his katana to his side, holstering his gun, ready to strike. Releasing it, as the name implies, makes him charge forward so fast that he disappears and only reappears as he slashes. Increased charge time increases the range of the teleport. While it doesn’t have as much strength as most forward smashes, it is supplemented with the next part of the smash. Charging the Fsmash increases the damage, but not the knockback. Instead, it increases the hit-stun time for the following attack.
(Kazuya's strongest attack in SMT4:A's DLC)

Only after hitting with that slash, can a 2nd Forward Smash can be charged. The second smash sheaths his sword as Kazuya takes aim with his gun and fires an extremely long range projectile laser beam that can pick off enemies offstage. As it has to be aimed and has a specific linear hitbox, it creates a conundrum: charge further for a more damaging kill option and risk the opponent avoiding, or do the 2nd part instantly, providing reliable damage but risk the opponent not dying.
(Aleph's strongest attack in SMT4:A's DLC)

While individually, these moves are nothing special, together, they can get extremely early kill confirms by knocking an enemy off-stage and finishing them off with a well-aimed and timed shot. As such, practice and prediction are required to use this tool well.
Down Smash: Vorpal Blade
Holsters his gun and readies his sword in a quick draw fashion at his side. Releasing it causes causes Kazuya to quickly slice a large sphere of sword strikes. Further charging increases the radius of the sphere. The sword and arm itself are so fast, they aren’t seen, merely the slashes as a result of them. Due to its large AOE and relatively fast start-up, it does less damage than most Smashes to compensate and kills far less early than the other smashes.
(Raidou Kuzunoha's “Strong Attack” in his 2nd game)

Up Smash: Myriad Arrows
Sheaths his sword and prepares to aim his gun in the sky. This Smash can be angled a bit in a narrow fan above. A targeting reticle appears from his head visor indicating the future direction of his shot. When released, he slams his gun upwards, sending foes in front of him above directly into the line of fire for the next shot. After the gun is raised Kazuya fires 2 bullets at minimum charge. This can be charged up to 4 bullets. Initial bullets will stun the enemy, but only the last bullet will kill. The damage falloff is great with really only a character’s length of the bullet shot having true killing potential.
(Aleph's multi-hitting attack in SMT4:A's DLC)
>Aerials: Riot Gun

Neutral Air: Fang Breaker
A double roundhouse kick that goes in an upward arc that comes out relatively fast, low killing power, better used as a “get off me” option. The kick arcs from the front of him over and behind him. While it comes out fast and covers both sides, it’ll rarely be used over his other aerials due to having a much smaller hitbox. Being forced to use this move often means you’ve failed to keep your optimal space and it’s very likely you’ll be punished. Also has a deadzone directly underneath him where it won’t hit.
(Raidou Kuzunoha’s attack while blocking in his 2nd game)

Forward Air: Crescent Slash
An arcing slash upward and then downwards. Two-parter like Link’s forward air. Covers a large distance, but has low killing power. Comes out decently fast. Think a Lucina fair except going upwards first before going downwards. The move can be auto-canceled early by landing leading to a set knockback for other follow-ups. Can potentially cover a large amount of space if used properly.
(Kazuya's double hitting sword attack in SMT4:A's DLC)

Back Air: Sonic Shot
Kazuya pulls his gun hand behind and takes a shot diagonally down backwards. Then turns around and shoots straight forward. They travel a medium distance before disappearing. Decent killing power, but much more reliable for gimping people with poor horizontal recoveries. If an enemy is close enough, they’ll get hit with both shots, or possible be knocked into the second shot by the first shot.
(Aleph's double hitting bullet attack in SMT4:A's DLC)

Down Air: Megido Slash
Two input move. First input prepares a downward slash by lifting his sword over his head. Pressing the A button in this pose will make him swing down. There is a spike hitbox on the tip of the blade, activating only when the blade is almost horizontal. Due to the predictable and risky nature of the move along with the precision and timing, it’s extremely deadly, even as powerful as a Ganondorf stomp. The preparation part of the move can be canceled into an airdodge. If Kazuya lands while in preparation, he will slam the floor and cause a white explosion in an AOE around him. Like most aerial attacks that hit the floor, this has a large amount of endlag.
(Raidou Kuzunoha’s skill as an ally in SMT3)

Up Air: Down-Shot
Flips his body and aims his gun up, firing 2 shots straight upwards. Has a unique trait of turning him the other direction when done with the animation. It’s killing power is high, and it has very low-startup, making for an effective way to kill people very near to the top.
(Taken from Joker’s follow-up gun attack in Persona 5)
>Grabs and Throws: Shibaboo

Grab: Shibaboo
Lunges forward and appears to grab the enemy at first glance. However, on closer inspection, it can be seen that he is thrusting the COMP at the enemy, causing an electric effect to surround the enemy
(Shibaboo spell which stuns the enemy to make it easier to follow up with more attacks)
Pummel:
Pummel tightens the bind and has a shocking effect effect.
Throws: Megaton Press
Forward: Boogie-Woogie
Stabs them, knocking them up short distance, then fires 3 shots directly at the enemy, similar to Mewtwo’s forward throw, except launching them at a sharper, lower angle. Has very low killing power and is mainly used to reposition and gain percent.
(Raidou Kuzunoha’s bossfight in SMT3 where he shoots the enemy repeatedly)

Back: Backstab
Backhands the sword, ducks behind the enemy, and stabs his sword backwards into the enemy’s back, sending the enemy flying. Has an extreme amount of killpower, a very reliable kill option near the ledge.

Up: Critical Shot
Readies his leg backwards and unleashes a humongous kick launching them far up into the air. Launches them at a straight 90 degree angle, but lacks killing power outside of decently high percents.

Down: Execution
Does an overhead Slash and knocks the enemy to the ground, after which he fires 3 bullets into the enemy, launching then diagonally behind Kazuya. No killing power and is mainly used to combo into other moves like fair or bair.
>Final Smash: DIE FOR ME!

Final Smash: Alice’s darkness
Similar to his specials, this is a summoning spell. However, the main difference is that the animation shows that it is clearly involuntary, and is the will of the demon residing within the COMP rather than Kazuya calling out its power. Activating the final smash causes Kazuya to grip his right elbow as dark energy and lightning courses through the COMP as it rises of its own will. Alice summons herself and casts DIE FOR ME!
(Interesting to note is that while Kazuya has the “Final Smash” effect on him, he does not have the yellow eyes. Instead, the ghost of Alice will appear floating behind him with glowing yellow eyes.)
It’s a cinematic finisher with 2 activation variants. When on the ground, dark hands will rise up from a blue ring of fire and pull everyone in it down into Alice's world. When in the air, the ring of fire will be vertical, facing towards the enemy. Again, dark hands will grasp the enemy and pull them into her world.

When in her World, enemies will appear before an innocent looking Alice in a velvety blue void. Alice then does her signature spin, grin, and point as her eyes change from yellow to a glowing magenta.. The enemy is then assaulted from every which direction with red and black playing cards until Alice throws a single magenta card at the enemy, breaking her illusory “world” and blasting everyone caught to the blastzone.
(Reference to multiple interpretations of the Die for Me! Spell over the years)
>Taunts: Demon-amie_

Down: Pixie's Dia
Summons Pixie who will circle Kazuya sprinkling sparkling dust on him as the healing sound effect plays, blows him a kiss, and then teleports back into his COMP.
The healing is, of course, entirely cosmetic and doesn’t do anything, similar to Link’s Navi taunt.
(Trademark healing skill of Pixie)

Side: Charge
Puts away his weapons and crosses his arms, staring directly forward with his eyes closed. Then, opens his eyes, lets out a loud "Hmph!" and releases a large amount of electric energy around him.
(One of his skills in the SMT4:A's DLC which more than doubles his next attack’s damage. Animation from Raidou Kuzunoha's boss fight in SMT3 where he uses "Provoke")

Up: Pascal the dog is here
Summons Pascal the dog and plays with him. This taunt lasts indefinitely until it is canceled, where Pascal is then called back to his COMP.
(Original skill he has in the first SMT)

If the user is not Kazuya, it will instead summon a generic Cerberus
>Victory: Level Up!_

1st Victory: Running Start
Kazuya breathes a sigh of relief, beckons toward the camera, and then begins to run around the camera and the victory arena. This animation is continuous and does not end. He will keep on running for as long as the player is on the victory screen.
(Joker's victory animation in Persona 5where he runs in a circle around the camera.)

2nd Victory: Team Support
Kazuya slices top right to bottom left, bottom left to top right, then bottom right to top left, before spinning around and flourishing his sword to his side. All four of his demons then jump over him and pose towards the camera.
(Raidou Kuzunoha's Yo****sune show-up animation from his boss fight in SMT3)

3rd Victory: Ground stab
Falling from the sky, Kazuya impales his katana into the floor, before turning towards the camera and aiming his pistol at it.
(Yu's victory animation in Persona 4 Arena where he stabs the sword into the ground + Dante from the Devil May Cry Series’s entrance to the Demi-fiend in SMT3 for the gun aiming part)

TL;DR
Mid-range sword and gun user. Summons demons for support.
tfw you find out that you want to play SMT 1 and there was a localized port for IOS but Atlus won't update the game for IOS 11 and beyond.

Time to start up the ol' emulator...

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Well, you can always go to the Character Support threads and search "Haohmaru" under "Search Titles Only" and "This Forum".

When I was counting supporters I didn't see Haohmaru, but that was months ago and recent developments may have changed that.
Shshshsh, don't reveal the search secrets!!! :yoshi:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I’m gonna do one more Dorothy post tonight, this one a lil more sad.

C742037F-BF44-4243-81C2-44A3527102AD.jpeg

Maybe I’ll do more tomorrow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom