• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Alright guys... real talk.

I got a Polticial Science midterm in less than 12 hours and while I do know the material... somewhat well, I'm afraid my nerves will get the best of me.

And I got a Comp Sci midterm in about 36 hours that I'm significantly more worried about.

Anyone got any tips for dealing w/ stress?
Have you ever tried meditating before?

It sounds cheesy but when my anxiety starts to get the better of me I try to find a relatively quite place, close my eyes, and try to clear my mind. If I can't find a place that's quite I try to find a corner of a room.

It doesn't make the stress go away but it makes it more manageable. I've legitimately prevented myself from having an anxiety attack one time by doing this.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Valve is a dumb company. I don't even understand their philosophy. We're a game developer that DOESN'T MAKE GAMES!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Valve is a dumb company. I don't even understand their philosophy. We're a game developer that DOESN'T MAKE GAMES!
They aint gotta do **** anymore.
Steam is a magical money printing machine and Gabe can live the rest of his days on a tropical island.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Do you guys ever think about how we are all anons? Not even just the internet, but the world. We try to make an image out of ourselves, even though it is near hopeless trying to guarantee that. The perception of our surroundings can be shaped by the ability to reach the upper echelons, yet weakness feeds on itself to grow. To be indistinguishable poses just as much of a threat to one's conscience than to be distinguishable.
I apologize for being late to the party, but I had schoolwork that kept me from responding to this.

Anyways, this is quite a nihilistic portrayal of life. I'd like to dissect and refute it as someone who has similar existential dread every now and again (and now I get to do it as a part of my education as a Philosophy minor).
We try to make an image out of ourselves, even though it is near hopeless trying to guarantee that?
Are you saying that we have no way to control our image of ourselves? I'm assuming this is in relation to other people, in which case I have to disagree. A view like this pushes most initiative one would have in life extrinsically, when I would say it should be concentrated most intrinsically.
  1. For one, there is the "self-image," being how we perceive ourselves. While this does change over time, sometimes in drastic and sudden ways in response to life events, the "self-image" is derived from the "self," and as such is able to be controlled by oneself.
  2. Continuing from the previous point, this "self-image," derived internally, projects externally unto other people. You can't really alter how people see you, at least not instantly. It takes time for people's perceptions to shift, including those of you. For example, a person can dislike you and then grow to like you based on who you are and how you act around them. Surely that is "making an image of ourself." While it may be difficult, it is possible.
  3. If you're discussing "an image" as in "notability," then the above point remains. It's difficult, but possible. That being said, it depends largely on what your definition of "notable" is (is it having a lot of Twitter/Instagram followers or Youtube Subscribers, making lots of money, having power and authority, having your name etched in textbooks, etc.). Regardless, the amount of effort required to do so is indeed notable (heh) but again, it's not impossible, and far from "near hopeless."
The perception of our surroundings can be shaped by the ability to reach the upper echelons, yet weakness feeds on itself to grow.
I'll be real with you, I don't really understand this. I'm going to assume this in relation to Point 3, and that's what you were referring to in your last sentence.
I'll infer the meaning of this sentence to be something along the lines "our perception of reality is shaped by our belief in our ability to reach the upper echelons, yet weakness prevents that." Next time please don't write so elegantly. It may look nice, but it's difficult to understand.

To take a more personal stance, I would say this is correct, but still refute the sentiment. We try to believe nothing but the best in ourselves, yet we tend to fall short. When facing rejection or failure, it's quite easy to fall into a negative feedback loop of negativity, or, as you say, "weakness (feeding) on itself to grow." It's difficult to pick yourself up again, especially after multiple falls, but it's imperative you do so. Sure, you can lay defeated on the ground, but you can't do much there but wallow and mope. You have to pick yourself back up and try again because eventually you will succeed. It may take a long time, but it'll happen.

To give an example I got passed up for a major scholarship program. I made it to interviews, and instead of being rejected, I got put on the wait list. That hurt. But, I got up, and thanks to some reflection I used that loss to get into another major scholarship program. Granted, this was an extremely fast turnaround, and it may take longer for you or someone else, but it still stands to show that things will change for the better, so long as you keep getting up.

Furthermore, any weakness can be worked on. I used to have speech issues (I couldn't pronounce sh, ch, or r), but through years of speech therapy I speak completely normal now (minus the occasional lisp in my r's - they sound like w's). I used to be out of shape, but by establishing a consistent gym routine that's begun to change. I'm not totally fit yet, but I'm the healthiest I've ever been in my life. I have a bunch of other stories like these, of weaknesses that should have held me back but didn't because I worked on them. And if I, a veritable catalog of problems, can work on my weaknesses and problems, you can too.
To be indistinguishable poses just as much of a threat to one's conscience than to be distinguishable.
Again, I'm not with you on this one chief. Exactly why is this? Wouldn't one want to be distinguishable, as it is making an image of oneself? Are you discussing the repercussions of fame and popularity? This point really needs more elaboration.

After all this I have to ask: are you okay? My inbox is always open if you need someone to talk to. The same goes to anyone else here. I very much prefer my friends happy and healthy, and if I can help in any way I'd like to do so.
Alright guys... real talk.

I got a Polticial Science midterm in less than 12 hours and while I do know the material... somewhat well, I'm afraid my nerves will get the best of me.

And I got a Comp Sci midterm in about 36 hours that I'm significantly more worried about.

Anyone got any tips for dealing w/ stress?
Breathing is an incredibly effective way to lessen stress.

I recommend a routine of:
  • Breathe in for 4 seconds
  • Hold breath for 4 seconds
  • Breathe out for 4 seconds
  • Repeat x4
It's called Square Breathing, and it works pretty well.

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Everyone is the protagonist of their own story, but we are also the actors and extras in the lifes of others. Our actions and inactions determine the outcome of this play called life.
Wish I could remember who said this in the first place.
As the resident Queen of Evil, I object to this. I’m the antagonist of every story including my own.

KMDP

Smash Legend
They aint gotta do **** anymore.
Steam is a magical money printing machine and Gabe can live the rest of his days on a tropical island.
Why make Video Games except to make money, am I right? :p
I apologize for being late to the party, but I had schoolwork that kept me from responding to this.

Anyways, this is quite a nihilistic portrayal of life. I'd like to dissect and refute it as someone who has similar existential dread every now and again (and now I get to do it as a part of my education as a Philosophy minor).

Are you saying that we have no way to control our image of ourselves? I'm assuming this is in relation to other people, in which case I have to disagree. A view like this pushes most initiative one would have in life extrinsically, when I would say it should be concentrated most intrinsically.
  1. For one, there is the "self-image," being how we perceive ourselves. While this does change over time, sometimes in drastic and sudden ways in response to life events, the "self-image" is derived from the "self," and as such is able to be controlled by oneself.
  2. Continuing from the previous point, this "self-image," derived internally, projects externally unto other people. You can't really alter how people see you, at least not instantly. It takes time for people's perceptions to shift, including those of you. For example, a person can dislike you and then grow to like you based on who you are and how you act around them. Surely that is "making an image of ourself." While it may be difficult, it is possible.
  3. If you're discussing "an image" as in "notability," then the above point remains. It's difficult, but possible. That being said, it depends largely on what your definition of "notable" is (is it having a lot of Twitter/Instagram followers or Youtube Subscribers, making lots of money, having power and authority, having your name etched in textbooks, etc.). Regardless, the amount of effort required to do so is indeed notable (heh) but again, it's not impossible, and far from "near hopeless."

I'll be real with you, I don't really understand this. I'm going to assume this in relation to Point 3, and that's what you were referring to in your last sentence.
I'll infer the meaning of this sentence to be something along the lines "our perception of reality is shaped by our belief in our ability to reach the upper echelons, yet weakness prevents that." Next time please don't write so elegantly. It may look nice, but it's difficult to understand.

To take a more personal stance, I would say this is correct, but still refute the sentiment. We try to believe nothing but the best in ourselves, yet we tend to fall short. When facing rejection or failure, it's quite easy to fall into a negative feedback loop of negativity, or, as you say, "weakness (feeding) on itself to grow." It's difficult to pick yourself up again, especially after multiple falls, but it's imperative you do so. Sure, you can lay defeated on the ground, but you can't do much there but wallow and mope. You have to pick yourself back up and try again because eventually you will succeed. It may take a long time, but it'll happen.

To give an example I got passed up for a major scholarship program. I made it to interviews, and instead of being rejected, I got put on the wait list. That hurt. But, I got up, and thanks to some reflection I used that loss to get into another major scholarship program. Granted, this was an extremely fast turnaround, and it may take longer for you or someone else, but it still stands to show that things will change for the better, so long as you keep getting up.

Furthermore, any weakness can be worked on. I used to have speech issues (I couldn't pronounce sh, ch, or r), but through years of speech therapy I speak completely normal now (minus the occasional lisp in my r's - they sound like w's). I used to be out of shape, but by establishing a consistent gym routine that's begun to change. I'm not totally fit yet, but I'm the healthiest I've ever been in my life. I have a bunch of other stories like these, of weaknesses that should have held me back but didn't because I worked on them. And if I, a veritable catalog of problems, can work on my weaknesses and problems, you can too.

Again, I'm not with you on this one chief. Exactly why is this? Wouldn't one want to be distinguishable, as it is making an image of oneself? Are you discussing the repercussions of fame and popularity? This point really needs more elaboration.

After all this I have to ask: are you okay? My inbox is always open if you need someone to talk to. The same goes to anyone else here. I very much prefer my friends happy and healthy, and if I can help in any way I'd like to do so.

• Repeat x4
Why be a Nihilist when you can be an Anti-Nihlist/Existentialist?

Life has no meaning, except that which we make for ourselves.
As the resident Queen of Evil, I object to this. I’m the antagonist of every story including my own.
There's such a thing as a "Villain Protagonist", Cyn.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
But who’s the protagonist in your story then?
Who ever I am antagonizing at the moment.

Why make Video Games except to make money, am I right? :p

Why be a Nihilist when you can be an Anti-Nihlist/Existentialist?

Life has no meaning, except that which we make for ourselves.

There's such a thing as a "Villain Protagonist", Cyn.
A primal force can never be a protagonist.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The death of the universe through proton decay in a never ending expanding universe is far more trippy.
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

Though I'm on the Team Heat Death.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
209295b3260ae8fe2753a3b5944196cf.png

Can I be the new villain that forces you to side with the good guys, ultimately resulting in you becoming an anti-hero and then a protagonist?

:^)

KMDP

Smash Legend
A primal force can never be a protagonist.
Tell that to Kirby.

:kirby: Poyo!
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

Though I'm on the Team Heat Death.
What about Team "The Universe is a never-ending cycle of Big Bangs, with Stars turning into Black Holes and Black Dwarfs that eat each other until they all become a singularity that results in another Big Bang starting the whole process over again"?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Why am I not surprised. That’s such an osby thing to say. :p
I'll take this as a compliment.

What about Team "The Universe is a never-ending cycle of Big Bangs, with Stars turning into Black Holes and Black Dwarfs that eat each other until they all become a singularity that results in another Big Bang starting the whole process over again"?
That would be feasible if there was no such thing as Hawking Radiation.

Plus, we've yet to discover what exactly black matter is, but it seems to block all the matter collecting in one point. Potential energy of the universe dropping to zero feels like a more likely "end" to the universe.

But that's just me.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Radiant continues to break my heart and ruin my life.

Everyone should read it.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Is it weird that I think of my life in Arcs? Like "Oh that was during the Q2 2014 arc", or "That was during the Q3 2016 arc!" Right now i'm in the "Q1 2019 arc!"

Almost like a show?
I do that too. There are even different invarnations of my character. Noone would ever believe that 2002-2010 me was played by the same Guy who played 2018-2019 me. (Except for the people who watched the Christmas special, Unfortunately, that was not my finest hour)

The death of the universe through proton decay in a never ending expanding universe is far more trippy.
As a chemist I know this is the more plausibele way for the world to end and that scares me

Tell that to Kirby.

:kirby: Poyo!

I followed this theory for a while too, especially since the energy needed for such a bang has to have come from somewhere, but it makes no sense for it to happen like that.

In the end the scariest part is that Noone Will ever know how the world ends, we're Just along for the ride and theres nothing we can do about it

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I do that too. There are even different invarnations of my character. Noone would ever believe that 2002-2010 me was played by the same Guy who played 2018-2019 me. (Except for the people who watched the Christmas special, Unfortunately, that was not my finest hour)

As a chemist I know this is the more plausibele way for the world to end and that scares me
It is one of the most interesting things I have read about in physics literature.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I think you're confusing the word "protagonist" with "hero". It's a common mistake, as in most stories the protagonist is the hero. However, there is nothing in definition of the word that says. However, no rule says a protagonist has to be good, or that an antagonist has to be evil. A story in which the villain is the protagonist and the hero is an antagonist is not only possible, but it also likely already exists.

It's also possible for you to be both the protagonist and antagonist of your own story at the same time. We call those types of conflicts Man vs Self, or I guess in this case Woman vs Self. Here's a helpful and 100% serious graph explaining the different types of literary conflict, and the types of protagonist and antagonist found in each.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
If one of those arcs don't extend for at least 1 and a half years, then what's the point?
[freeziepop.png]
I'll play devil's advocate here: When Frieza said "5 minutes", he meant it in Namekian time.

Some people struggle with counting up to 5, okay?
I mean Capcom did for a while.
And Valve struggles with counting to 3.
None of them compare to George Lucas with the Star Wars franchise, who started at 4, went up to 6, then dialed back all the way to 1. He's the type of visionary who makes you read a novel from the last page to the first, then changes the format to stone tablets for the prequel stories.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think you're confusing the word "protagonist" with "hero". It's a common mistake, as in most stories the protagonist is the hero. However, there is nothing in definition of the word that says. However, no rule says a protagonist has to be good, or that an antagonist has to be evil. A story in which the villain is the protagonist and the hero is an antagonist is not only possible, but it also likely already exists.
This reminds me Sandman, where Gaiman said the only reason Desire is presented as a bad guy is because Dream is the protagonist. If roles were to be reversed, we would see Dream as the antagonist.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138

• Repeat x4
I'm with friends right now so I can't Read the whole story, but this is my take on the matter:

For a long time, I've been doing most the things I do just to prove to people that I can do ****, and I still kinda do.
The thing is, no matter how much I do, people don't see it, because they don't care about me. They do know me, so I'm not strictly anonymous, but they don't know much more than roughly who I am, so I'm effectively anonymous.

There are many people who do care about me, but I don't have to prove anything to them. So I need to learn to do things "for myself" which is, in a way, embracing anonimity...

Well, now I'm existential, thanks a lot

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well I can't argue with tha--

Wait, didn't Frieza look down on Namekians? :yoshi:
If Frieza looked down on Namekians, then I doubt he'd adhere to human standards of time measurements. Let's just split the middle and say that the Frieza race do as they please.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Well I can't argue with tha--

Wait, didn't Frieza look down on Namekians? :yoshi:
He looks down on everyone. Referring to Namekian time measurements was just a way of staying consistent with the planet's imminent destruction.

...Then again, the Tournament of Power lasted 40-something minutes while Frieza endured a fight against Broly for an hour, lol

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'll play devil's advocate here: When Frieza said "5 minutes", he meant it in Namekian time.
Nah, he was counting in Frieza Minutes.

Which is an arbitrary measure of time derived from normal time because Frieza's number system is better.
None of them compare to George Lucas with the Star Wars franchise, who started at 4, went up to 6, then dialed back all the way to 1. He's the type of visionary who makes you read a novel from the last page to the first, then changes the format to stone tablets for the prequel stories.
Truly a genius of the modern age.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom