• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
riddle me this:

what legacy does banjo specifically hold?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The New York Tri-State Area, specifically.
When are they going to make a region set in my home tristate area of Ohinditucky? Where you have to go across a hundred miles of cornfields to find a city and every character is obese?

D

Deleted member

A derogatory word for a Jewish person.
That's an incredibly bad racial slur, actually.
It's a slur for Jewish people.
A slur against jews.

Guess is not known in Latin America as it is used a short name for Enrique I guess.
I have literally never heard of it until now nor did I know it was even a word and I have constantly made that typo numerous times in the past but always managed to catch it. The more you know I guess.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I have literally never heard of it until now nor did I know it was even a word and I have constantly made that typo numerous times in the past but always managed to catch it. The more you know I guess.
Yeah, you spend more than 2 minutes on 4chan and you'll be... imparted with a few new words.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
riddle me this:

He was a Nintendo Mascot from his inception until his sale. Like, he was used for Nintendo marketing even when Banjo wasn't specifically a part of what was being sold. He was up there with Mario for as long as he was around.

D

Deleted member

dawg thats how you lose an argument

the ****ing what
did you even read the whole post

The Duck Hunt thing is a theory that Duck Hunt and Mii Swordfighter might be used as a base to create Banjo and a Sword Fighter character (Kinda like how ZSS was Bayo's base in Smash 4). People think this because of several bugs and glitches that involve the Mii and Duck Hunt. There isn't much evidence, but it's still worth noting.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I'll never forget my friend going "like hell I'll buy black and white, one year from now they'll just release gray" and then a year later we all laughed at him
I was so sure they would..and then they did the unprecedented and made B2W2..I was shocked.
I'm still shocked that the most obviously 3rd Versions EVER, Gray & Z, never happened..and that X & Y were all for that generation aside from the Gen 3 remakes lol
Look, I still refuse to call her anything but Moon. Actually, Luna is acceptable since I have a friend named that.
Oh, I understand completely. I HATE the name Hilda for the BW Female Trainer (I don't like Hilbert either..but who cares about the boys?). There's nothing wrong with the name itself (I mean, I LOVE Princess Hilda in Zelda) but its just not a name a girl would have these days..it never felt right to me..so I always either use her Japanese canon name, Touko, or just call her White.
I used the names Moon and Luna myself (granted, I didn't know about the name of Selene at the time, since I like that name too even if Moon & Luna were nicer to me).
I'm simply saying that those are the canon names for the characters. We don't have to like nor use them, but we do have to recognize them.
Mizuki was better smh.
Its a great name..but it would be odd to use a Japanese name for the English version. Granted, its still a canon name, so like with Dawn & Hikari, its pretty interchangable.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
For all my Sobble pushing, you notice I never had to **** on the other 2 to do it? In fact, I sometimes talked about Scorbunny somewhat favorably :yoshi:
In all honesty, this is one of the few times that I am not leaning hard one way or the other. I like Grookey a lot, but the other ones are pretty damn good too. My love for grass starters is the only preference I have this time. Well, so far....I may change my mind after I see the evolutions and movesets.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
riddle me this:

well it can't be compared to Minecraft but Nintendo was practically using them as mascots alongside Mario, DK and Pikachu back in the day.

and now they're still going strong with support, Phil Spencer acknowledging them, new merchandise, and some Rare employees continuing to be blind and act like we don't want a new game no matter how much the fans scream apparently.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
He had two really good games, as far as I know.
That's the most generic legacy I've ever heard.

He was a Nintendo Mascot from his inception until his sale. Like, he was used for Nintendo marketing even when Banjo wasn't specifically a part of what was being sold. He was up there with Mario for as long as he was around.
can you put this in laymans terms because it's almost midnight dude

There isn't much evidence, but
im gonna have to stop you there

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hey, look, another Banjo Vs Steve debate...
Can we debate about something more original?

I'll even take a Coke Vs Pepsi debate, at this point...

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm still betting on Steve given how much history of an impact Minecraft placed on gaming. I don't see Nintendo passing that on especially when that alone would make them ton load of bucks. If this was Sakurai choosing DLC (To appease the fans) maybe I could see Banjo but since this is Nintendo though...

Not ruling out Banjo per say but I'm finding Steve to be much more likely honestly.

It'd be even better if we get both but I don't see that happening.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
and some Rare employees continuing to be blind and act like we don't want a new game no matter how much the fans scream apparently.
or maybe they just don't want to make another banjo game

because they did already try in 2008

D

Deleted member

I was so sure they would..and then they did the unprecedented and made B2W2..I was shocked.
I'm still shocked that the most obviously 3rd Versions EVER, Gray & Z, never happened..and that X & Y were all for that generation aside from the Gen 3 remakes lol

Oh, I understand completely. I HATE the name Hilda for the BW Female Trainer (I don't like Hilbert either..but who cares about the boys?). There's nothing wrong with the name itself (I mean, I LOVE Princess Hilda in Zelda) but its just not a name a girl would have these days..it never felt right to me..so I always either use her Japanese canon name, Touko, or just call her White.
I used the names Moon and Luna myself (granted, I didn't know about the name of Selene at the time, since I like that name too even if Moon & Luna were nicer to me).
I'm simply saying that those are the canon names for the characters. We don't have to like nor use them, but we do have to recognize them.

Its a great name..but it would be odd to use a Japanese name for the English version. Granted, its still a canon name, so like with Dawn & Hikari, its pretty interchangable.
My stance in this is "we make our own canon, *******"

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Let's talk about Steve Vs. Creeper.

Look at my Creeper thread (Marx Soul scream).

or maybe they just don't want to make another banjo game

because they did already try in 2008
True but I was being serious there, a Rare employee actually said the fans don't actually want a new game.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Actually I just discovered it too, I had to check UrbanDictionary after you mentioned it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
When are they going to make a region set in my home tristate area of Ohinditucky? Where you have to go across a hundred miles of cornfields to find a city and every character is obese?
It's funny to me too, because I live in one of the few counties in Pennsylvania to be considered part of the New York tristate despite not being in New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut. It's really dumb, and as such, it feels like my region is simultaneously covered and not covered. :p

Anville Town is like an exact match though, so there's that lol. Completely separate from the rest of Unova, quiet, forest-y.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Oh yeah, like whining "uuuughhhhh! another steve vs banjo debate?!?!?!" is contributing to something new. :smirk:

D

Deleted member

That's the most generic legacy I've ever heard.

im gonna have to stop you there
imagine not listening to a counterargument because it's generic.

This post was made by #Iforgothowthisjokeworksgang

D

Deleted member

Banjo was actually a pretty big deal back in the day and helped solidify Rare as Nintendo's golden boy.
It's quite telling that people still talk about and remember the games quite fondly, when 90% of the other platformers from that generation got banished to the shadow realm. It has nowhere near the legacy or impact of Minecraft, obviously, but not many games do, and the fact that all these years later Banjo still has a pretty large and dedicated fanbase has to be worth something.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
so basically an employee or company head/whatever named Craig said that fans don't really want Banjo, it's just what they think they want.

What a load of crap.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yeah, dude I gotcha. So, basically there was only two times in history Mario was "dethroned" as Nintendo's mascot. One was in 1994 after the release of Donkey Kong Country, where DK became front and center for a while, and again from 1998-2001, where Banjo-Kazooie was basically Nintendo's mascot. I mean Mario will always be the face of Nintendo no doubt, but DKC and Banjo were such major worldwide phenomenon that the Plumber had an metaphorical "sibling rivalry" going on at those times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom