• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Japan: *produces a highly offensive piece of media*
Weebs: "It's cultural difference, you have to respect that"
A country in the Middle East: *is Islamic*
Weebs: "Oh my god see how bigoted they are? THIS is what feminism should be fighting against!"

>Catherine is getting changed in the western release
God bless Atlus USA
I’ve been blessed with this video.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Weebs: "Oh my god see how bigoted they are? THIS is what feminism should be fighting against!"
Every ****ing time.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
If I understood it correctly, the game is a remake and the original game didn't have these transphobic remarks, so their presence in the Japanse version of the remake makes no sense.

I may be talking out of my ass here

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
D

Deleted member

>Catherine is getting changed in the western release
God bless Atlus USA
I unironically listen to Crab Rave because that **** slaps

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
If I understood it correctly, the game is a remake and the original game didn't have these transphobic remarks, so their presence in the Japanse version of the remake makes no sense.

I may be talking out of my *** here
The original game was rife with transphobia as well.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Japan: *has multiple openly LGBT politicians including Tomoya Hosoda, a transman and Aya Kamikawa, a transwoman*
Japanese LGBT: *are literally the first people to criticize **** like Fire Emblem Fates' Soleil support and Catherine*
Weebs: "Japan doesn't actually care about LGBT people it's normal to be a bigot"

D

Deleted member

I hate transphobia as well.
That is a lie, because you are saying you wished Atlus did not remove transphobia.
You clearly are a transphobe. If I were you, I would rethink your actions and respect other people.
Please do not be a transphobe.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Honestly the whole notion of "it's just japanese cuture guyz!!!" is offensive in and of itself

Japan, while not perfect, is faaar more progressive then people give it credit for. Using anime to judge how Japanese culture works is like watching Spongebob to figure out the flaws in the United State's society

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I don't understand the complaint here

It's not like people were like "MAN I really wanna play this game but it's transphobic so I guess not" it was more "damn y'all transphobic af"

People were calling out transphobes, so ATLUS is trying to appear less transphobic and hopefully open up to a new market. Is that really a bad thing?
I-I...

I-It may be a little difficult to explain, since I also don't understand a lot of what 'bigotry' is, all I know is it's a bad culture. But peoples initally complained about it because it was not only transphobia but also queerphobia. I understand what t-transphobia is, it's being afraid of trans, and I don't like that, but I-I don't understand the queerphobia part. Basically, one of the ending involves time travel.

Q-Quoting from the blog. Again, it could be spoilers if you haven't watched the original Catherine. I took it from here. https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/...ws-call-it-queerphobic-and-transphobic/77125/

Enter ResetEra.

The extremist forum board corralled all of the spoilers together and rolled out explanations for what really went down in Catherine: Full Body, explaining that apparently one of the characters, Rin, is an alien, and that their lower extremities may resemble that of a man, which freaks out the main character Vincent. The members of ResetEra were angered that Vincent would be repulsed at a girl having male genitalia, and also called it “harmful” for trans folk.

ResetEra goes all in on calling the game “transphobic”, “problematic”, and “toxic”.

One user, ShironRedShift, wrote

“Like, even putting Erica aside (which absolutely shouldn’t be, but putting that whole discussion aside regardless) the spoilers regarding Rin sound 100%, unambiguously transphobic regardless. Like, regardless of if Rin can actually be considered transgender, the whole Rin turning out to have a penis and Vincent being shocked 100% embodies transgender “trap” stereotypes, that transgender individuals are trying to hide what they “really” are and trick people into having sex with them unaware, and that’s exactly the kind of stuff that gets transgender individuals killed and leads to them killing suicide each and every day, those kind of stereotypes and that kind of imagery. No one who’s transgender actually does that stuff, tries to trick people like that. They’re more afraid of that possibility than anyone, that someone might feel deceived in any way and fear for what would happen to them in that kind of situation. It’s just not a thing.”​

The moderator also posted a note explaining that some of the people at ResetEra were so triggered by the endings that they requested that the forum outright ban all discussion of Catherine: Full Body. One of the moderators, Morrigan, posted an official staff response, which stated…

“We’ve received a request to have this game banned and added to the prohibited games list. The team has discussed this, and our conclusion is that banning the game would inadvertently serve to sweep this issue under the rug, when it should really be brought to light and exposed.

“However, please keep in mind that the contents described here are so blatantly offensive that defense of them, or any dismissal of relevant criticism, will be met with bans.

“A staff message has also been added to the OT with clearly outlined rules and expectations of behavior.”​

The thread devolves into excoriating Atlus like a dragon roasting a stuck pig in an empty field.
Some peoples even started to attack the Catherine creator. Yes, I know that it's bad to have bigotry and that we should complain, but attacking was too personal and too far. Anyways, the localization change didn't go well with Brandon Orselli. This has created more consternation within the community because some gamers are now worried that the localization may actually be compromised. There is a way to keep localization pure though.
There are a lot of comments within the core community that believe that the Western localizers at Atlus might bend the knee to the faux outrage that was generated over the original ending in the Japanese version of Catherine: Full Body.

The original complaints was that in one of the endings the trans character Erica was allegedly turned back into a male and lived out life as a gay man after being convinced not to transition by another character. This was turned out to be untrue according to people who actually played the game. Nevertheless, the outrage machine was already in the works and word spread around social media that Catherine: Full Body was “queerphobic” and “transphobic”.

So now we have one of the voice actresses claiming that the localization team will address the “bigotry” from the Japanese version that was never actually there to begin with.

How this all turns out is anyone’s guess at this point, but Catherine: Full Body is still a long ways off from its Western release, which is scheduled for September 3rd, 2019.

However, if you feel it’s imperative to inform Atlus about keeping the localization pure, there is a way to reach them. Otaquest is reporting that there is an Atlus survey you can take, where you can let them know how you feel about their games and the localization.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I-I...

I-It may be a little difficult to explain, since I also don't understand a lot of what 'bigotry' is, all I know is it's a bad culture. But peoples initally complained about it because it was not only transphobia but also queerphobia. I understand what t-transphobia is, it's being afraid of trans, and I don't like that, but I-I don't understand the queerphobia part. Basically, one of the ending involves time travel.

Q-Quoting from the blog. Again, it could be spoilers if you haven't watched the original Catherine. I took it from here. https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/...ws-call-it-queerphobic-and-transphobic/77125/

Some peoples even started to attack the Catherine creator. Yes, I know that it's bad to have bigotry and that we should complain, but attacking was too personal and too far. Anyways, the localization change didn't go well with Brandon Orselli. This has created more consternation within the community because some gamers are now worried that the localization may actually be compromised. There is a way to keep localization pure though.
I know I said that the "le evil sjws" thing was worse than the stutter-typing but that wasn't a reason to start doing both.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Guys, since I've made a lot of mess now, I am now going to sign out for some minutes, to relax myself.

I-I didn't mean to say that SJW were bad, but they are sometimes annoying, I don't know what is going on, but I don't know about the future of videogames as well, i-if this tread were to happen in the future.

I'm feeling like I just want to hurt myself, after this mess. And I'm now feeling very nervous. I'm going now. I didn't want to post it, anyways...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Atlus: *Removes Transphobic content from their game*
Gamers: SJWs are ruining my video games!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
So what's the bigotry problem here?

I guess its because she ends up as a sheep in the game right?

I mean... I get it but man the west is kinda weak.

And its kinda weird that no one has a problem with the weird lolicon garbage.

But something like this ruffles feathers.

Mr. Sandman is repped by DK- Everyone: DK was in Punch Out so its fine.

Mr. G&W- Has a 2D feather- Everyone: Outrage.

I mean it just seems like the west is selectively offended.

And will crucify you if you are not offended by the same thing.
You're kind of missing the context of some of this stuff, not to mention that again, Japanese LGBT people aren't happy with this either.
And for the record, the feather thing was changed for being deemed racist back in 2004 on the GBA as the original sprite was native americans you had to kill to get points

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I have a pal (Same guy who made my PFP) who runs a tumblr where he answers questions as Ben from Ben Drowned for fun. I just send in my first question today. The results were...marvelous.
1550936350583.png

D

Deleted member

I-I...

Hey, can you stop?
You know you are wrong.
Stop arguing, you know it is going to get you nowhere.
Bigotry is completely wrong, and it seems like you are defending it.
Learn how to respect. Please stop saying "le evil sjws", it is incredibly annoying.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I-I...

The game may not have a scene where is directly says "trans people are gross freaks of nature I hate them all" but it's not about that.
Bigotry is almost never that up front. The outrage is coming from the fact that the game, as well as many other forms of media entertainment, simply do not know how to portray trans people, or they will flirt with the idea of a character being trans for it only to be like "lol it was a guy you're gay for liking him what a funny joke"

You need to understand that just because someone wants better representation, doesn't mean you should immediately invalidate their collective viewpoints by referring to them as an SJW.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
How the hell is Ben Drowned still a thing? It's 2019 for god's sake
There's still an active fandom for Jeff the Killer and Slenderman.

I don't know how either, but there's still a market for it.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
So what's the bigotry problem here?

I guess its because she ends up as a sheep in the game right?

I mean... I get it but man the west is kinda weak.

And its kinda weird that no one has a problem with the weird lolicon garbage.

But something like this ruffles feathers.

Mr. Sandman is repped by DK- Everyone: DK was in Punch Out so its fine.

Mr. G&W- Has a 2D feather- Everyone: Outrage.

I mean it just seems like the west is selectively offended.

And will crucify you if you are not offended by the same thing.
This is extremely disingenuous.
Loads of people have issues with the whole lolicon thing. People will talk about it being problematic when it's relevant, ie. Jack the Ripper in Fate or Nowi in FE

People were vocal about Mr Sandman being repped by DK and Dee Jay by Diddy among others. You had imbeciles saying "No you're the real racist for pointing out that it can be seen as racist" in response.

You forget that "the west" isn't a whole hivemind, there's lots of seperation into various groups. There are those who want the media to be better and rise above the issues they perpetuate. There's those who don't give a ****. There's those who want to maintain the status quo because to them, equality is them being oppressed.

Pakky

Smash Hero
You're kind of missing the context of some of this stuff, not to mention that again, Japanese LGBT people aren't happy with this either.
And for the record, the feather thing was changed for being deemed racist back in 2004 on the GBA as the original sprite was native americans you had to kill to get points
Okay so are they not happy about the change or the content itself?

Black people have been associated with apes as a racial spat for decades. Yet DK still has a Sandman Spirit... I mean.

D

Deleted member

I am going to go watch a movie.
I-I didn't mean to say that SJW were bad, but they are sometimes annoying
You are still continuing the "le evil SJWS" thing.
I hope you learn how to not say that.
I am glad that Atlus USA removed transphobia.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
I'm curious as to why this discussion is going the way it is.
If it's that transphobic then people could Just boycot the game right?
The only reason to care about changes being made is if the game is REALLY good and you want to play it but are stopped by the biggotry.
Which, again, I wouldn't know.
Can someone tell me if this game is really good enough to Worry about?

D

Deleted member

I-I...

O-okay, b-but you understand that the site you are quoting from is pretty obviously super ****ing biased

L-like if you look at the people that it's calling wrong, they're all pretty correct actually

It's not "faux outrage" or whatever, the game is straight up causing real outrage

T-t-the article d-d-d-doesn't point out any flaws with what the ResetEra people are saying, l-like at all

It's just complaining that people on ResetEra are (rightfully) angry about transphobic **** and are pissed at ATLUS

But it doesn't point out a single flaw in their argument

I-i-it doesn't make sense s-senpai, uwu...

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
There's still an active fandom for Jeff the Killer and Slenderman.

I don't know how either, but there's still a market for it.
You know what I've recently discovered also still has quite a huge following?

Charles Manson

Seriously, go to any charles manson interview and look in the comments. Hundreds of people worship that dude, it's insane. Like they try to explain away all the weird schizophrenic stuff he does by saying he's some "genius" and the interviewer just "cant keep up"

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
You know what I've recently discovered also still has quite a huge following?

Charles Manson

Seriously, go to any charles manson interview and look in the comments. Hundreds of people worship that dude, it's insane. Like they try to explain away all the weird schizophrenic stuff he does by saying he's some "genius" and the interviewer just "cant keep up"
Who the heck is Charles Manson?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Okay so are they not happy about the change or the content itself?

Black people have been associated with apes as a racial spat for decades. Yet DK still has a Sandman Spirit... I mean.
People were unhappy that what was meant as a cute reference ended up bringing something back Nintendo themselves already changed over a decade ago. The outrage was because "Oh my god Nintendo you KNOW this is bad why did you do it again?" Nintendo's response was that it was an oversight and they changed it.

For Sandman, in my case, I tried to think of a way that could show it was merely VERY unfortunate such as the Paz or TAC spirits. Sandman, like the Paz spirit, still has a connection that makes sense. That being said, there's no goddamn excuse to why Dee Jay is Diddy Kong as those two aren't remotely similar in any way

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Palutena can fight in Smash, yet can’t cook food or teach her only friend how to read...the **** kinda goddess can’t do it all

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
O-okay, b-but you understand that the site you are quoting from is pretty obviously super ****ing biased

L-like if you look at the people that it's calling wrong, they're all pretty correct actually

It's not "faux outrage" or whatever, the game is straight up causing real outrage

T-t-the article d-d-d-doesn't point out any flaws with what the ResetEra people are saying, l-like at all

It's just complaining that people on ResetEra are (rightfully) angry about transphobic **** and are pissed at ATLUS

But it doesn't point out a single flaw in their argument

I-i-it doesn't make sense s-senpai, uwu...
You didn't have to do the equivalent of "Undertaker throwing Mankind off the top of Hell in a Cell" to them.

D

Deleted member

I'm curious as to why this discussion is going the way it is.
If it's that transphobic then people could Just boycot the game right?
The only reason to care about changes being made is if the game is REALLY good and you want to play it but are stopped by the biggotry.
Which, again, I wouldn't know.
Can someone tell me if this game is really good enough to Worry about?
Again, people are just calling it out for how disgusting is it.

They aren't saying "we'll only buy it if it's not transphobic" they're saying "this is gross because it's transphobic", leading the developers to decide "hey people noticed our product is transphobic, lets change it so we don't look as disgusting"

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
People were unhappy that what was meant as a cute reference ended up bringing something back Nintendo themselves already changed over a decade ago. The outrage was because "Oh my god Nintendo you KNOW this is bad why did you do it again?" Nintendo's response was that it was an oversight and they changed it.

For Sandman, in my case, I tried to think of a way that could show it was merely VERY unfortunate such as the Paz or TAC spirits. Sandman, like the Paz spirit, still has a connection that makes sense. That being said, there's no goddamn excuse to why Dee Jay is Diddy Kong as those two aren't remotely similar in any way
You had to bring up the paz spirit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom