• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Semi on-topic, but I can't sit through this without losing my ****:
W͍̠̘̦̝̙̉͆̂ͅh̫̙͈̖e̻̞̘̟n͐̿̅ͪͩ҉̘ ̺̳̤̠̳̅̋̾̑̒̂̚ỳ̡̟̹̱̠̭̳̑͑́ͥͩő̢̲̪̝̜̿u͙̓͌̈ͤ͘ ̧̮͍͈̖́͂̈́w͇̞̻͖͈̘͗ͪå̭͔͖̹͉̌̈ͣͨͅl̥̘k̟̹ͫͭ̏̽ͪ ̼̝̙͟ͅà͍͕̰̳͓̱͟w̵̩̱͒ͫ̇̌̓a̗̞̜͇ͮ̋̎ͭ̋ͯ͑͢ý͖͔̠͙̝̣̜ͪ͊̕
͔͚̇͗ͮͮͭ̒̓͘ͅ
̝͕͂̄̅Y̠̤̋ͯo̗̥̾ͯu̗̭͓͚̯ͦ ̝d̛͙ͬ͆́ͨ̆o̶̝̺͖̟͊͊n̬͚͙̘̄ͧ͌ẗ̰̝͔̼̺̮̜́ͮ̍̀͊ͩ̚͞ ̃͛͏h̭͈͉͍͜e̛̖̘̜̜̥̣̱a͛ͨͦr̷͍̔̐͌ ̷̪͙̮̪ͅm̧̝̖̬̦̱͑͗ͬ̅̚ͅe͐̄ͯ ̖̖̤̬͓̳̎̃ͮͣ̿s̷͖̱̹͚̬a̩͓y̷̟̣̝͉̲̱̩ͩ̈
̘̎͂͂ͦͤ
̰̰̮̙̱̭ͥͦ͌P̣̳̹͌l̪͕͖͇͎̫̾̾͛̅ë̫͙̥̭͉̖̐̈͘ë͉̓̒͆̚e̘̜͖̭̗̅̈͆̑̇͠a̢̙̱̠̫ͦͮͫͅḁ̭͇̓͑ͫͫ̉͂ä̟̬́͋̔̍̀ͤs̛̗͕͚ͅḙ͌̓ͦ̈̃̎͂,̴̯̱̰̤͙ ̯̦̓Ớ͓͔̖͙̽͗h̬̹̼̗ ͑ͤ̉̿̔̌̚͏͕̘͉̮̯͎̗b̙̼͆͐ͥͨͅa̍͑ͩͦ̌ͥ̐a̐͂̋́͆̏҉͈̱̜͓b̢͇͎̂ͨ͐͊̆̿yͮͤͦ͂y̭͈͓ͨ̑ͬ̑̉͞
̭̜͓̖͍̬̺̀
̵͈̩͚̯̮ͧ̎͋͛̅ͅD̘ọ̲̜͚̯͈̆̅͒ͤṅ̫̄̿͌ͫ̊̀ṭ͒ͫ̈́͂͌̍ ̸̥͕͖͙̖̩͌ͨ̈̊́̊̾G̛̿o̧̻͈͉̪͕̰̎̃ͬ́̐̋

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Reggie will leave April 15, that's also a good date for one last Nintendo Direct with Reggie... and if that happens, I hope Reggie says farewell giving us Mother 3 and ending with the meme once for all.
If that doesn't happen, I wonder who people will make the scapegoat for no English Mother 3?

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
What do people here think about SM64 VS SM64 DS?
Super Mario 64 is padded and gets very dull before the halfway point for me, not to mention the game's looks have aged like 2009 tweets, so it's pretty much been a game a rarely go back to.

Mario 64DS is a much better designed experience, and I feel like making it a handheld was a good design choice, as it incentivizes shorter play sessions so it would't get stale on you. However, the tight controls that defined the N64 version are pretty much gone, and the DPad button dashing set up is awkward for me.

Overall, I would probably prefer the DS version, but if it's any consolation, I think 64 in general is the weakest contribution to 3D mario

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I've told ya'll before that all Rare designs are horny. That doesn't make them attractive but you can feel the horny energy emanating from each of their designs and it scares me.
Especially when they made Viva Piñata. SPICY !

Or Kameo, SO LEWD

Last edited:

Just a penguin

Smash Master
Super Mario 64 is padded and gets very dull before the halfway point for me, not to mention the game's looks have aged like 2009 tweets, so it's pretty much been a game a rarely go back to.

Mario 64DS is a much better designed experience, and I feel like making it a handheld was a good design choice, as it incentivize shorter play sessions so it would't get stale on you. However, the tight controls that defined the N64 version are pretty much gone, and the DPad button dashing set up is awkward for me.

Overall, I would probably prefer the DS version, but if it's any consolation, I think 64 in general is the weakest contribution to 3D mario
What about Super Mario 3d Land? That wasn't new, wasn't groundbreaking, and ended under an hour in.

D

Deleted member

W͍̠̘̦̝̙̉͆̂ͅh̫̙͈̖e̻̞̘̟n͐̿̅ͪͩ҉̘ ̺̳̤̠̳̅̋̾̑̒̂̚ỳ̡̟̹̱̠̭̳̑͑́ͥͩő̢̲̪̝̜̿u͙̓͌̈ͤ͘ ̧̮͍͈̖́͂̈́w͇̞̻͖͈̘͗ͪå̭͔͖̹͉̌̈ͣͨͅl̥̘k̟̹ͫͭ̏̽ͪ ̼̝̙͟ͅà͍͕̰̳͓̱͟w̵̩̱͒ͫ̇̌̓a̗̞̜͇ͮ̋̎ͭ̋ͯ͑͢ý͖͔̠͙̝̣̜ͪ͊̕
͔͚̇͗ͮͮͭ̒̓͘ͅ
̝͕͂̄̅Y̠̤̋ͯo̗̥̾ͯu̗̭͓͚̯ͦ ̝d̛͙ͬ͆́ͨ̆o̶̝̺͖̟͊͊n̬͚͙̘̄ͧ͌ẗ̰̝͔̼̺̮̜́ͮ̍̀͊ͩ̚͞ ̃͛͏h̭͈͉͍͜e̛̖̘̜̜̥̣̱a͛ͨͦr̷͍̔̐͌ ̷̪͙̮̪ͅm̧̝̖̬̦̱͑͗ͬ̅̚ͅe͐̄ͯ ̖̖̤̬͓̳̎̃ͮͣ̿s̷͖̱̹͚̬a̩͓y̷̟̣̝͉̲̱̩ͩ̈
̘̎͂͂ͦͤ
̰̰̮̙̱̭ͥͦ͌P̣̳̹͌l̪͕͖͇͎̫̾̾͛̅ë̫͙̥̭͉̖̐̈͘ë͉̓̒͆̚e̘̜͖̭̗̅̈͆̑̇͠a̢̙̱̠̫ͦͮͫͅḁ̭͇̓͑ͫͫ̉͂ä̟̬́͋̔̍̀ͤs̛̗͕͚ͅḙ͌̓ͦ̈̃̎͂,̴̯̱̰̤͙ ̯̦̓Ớ͓͔̖͙̽͗h̬̹̼̗ ͑ͤ̉̿̔̌̚͏͕̘͉̮̯͎̗b̙̼͆͐ͥͨͅa̍͑ͩͦ̌ͥ̐a̐͂̋́͆̏҉͈̱̜͓b̢͇͎̂ͨ͐͊̆̿yͮͤͦ͂y̭͈͓ͨ̑ͬ̑̉͞
̭̜͓̖͍̬̺̀
̵͈̩͚̯̮ͧ̎͋͛̅ͅD̘ọ̲̜͚̯͈̆̅͒ͤṅ̫̄̿͌ͫ̊̀ṭ͒ͫ̈́͂͌̍ ̸̥͕͖͙̖̩͌ͨ̈̊́̊̾G̛̿o̧̻͈͉̪͕̰̎̃ͬ́̐̋​
"ThIs MiGhT bE a GoOd SpOt To FiNd SoMe InGrEdIeNtS!"

"T h A t C a N ' t b E i T, k E e P l O o K i N g!!!"

"LoOk SoRa, A LuCkY EmBlEm!"

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
What about Super Mario 3d Land? That wasn't new, wasn't groundbreaking, and ended under an hour in.
3D land is definitely more than an hour long. And it had really tight level design as well as fantastic controls. It was the first 3D mario that is actually a platformer in the traditional sense. And due to this, it makes playing through the game not only interesting on it's own merits, but an advancement of the formula introduced in the past 2D mario games

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
This is so ****ing beautiful
I went to go get lunch and now we're talking about Tiny's "lewdness"
Y'all, she wears more clothes than Diddy Kong.

Donkey Kong is naked besides a tie. :dkmelee:
Donkey loves to show it all off
Vaguely?

Her design and body shape is something usually reserved for human women in order to garner straight male attention due to the small waist and big bust. This deign in general is already flawed, overdone, and exploitative. But they put it on an monkey ape

I just want to know why nintendo did it
BB6A6F3E-ED5C-47E0-86BD-05297BB9A457.png
there's a reason we call him konkey dong
Expand Dong reconfirmed to be an amazing character

D

Deleted member

Mario 64DS is a much better designed experience, and I feel like making it a handheld was a good design choice, as it incentivizes shorter play sessions so it would't get stale on you. However, the tight controls that defined the N64 version are pretty much gone, and the DPad button dashing set up is awkward for me.

Oooof...we're gonna have to agree to disagree there, ha ha. SM64 IMO has been the peak of 3D Mario design before SMO came along. The controls have aged phenomenally, and the level design has remained timeless as an example of how to make a good collectathon IMO. The soundtrack is also to this day some of Koji Kondo's best work.

To me, Sunshine is probably the weakest 3D Mario. F.L.U.D.D added nothing great to the mix apart from a few cool sections. Most of Sunshine's design has odd choices that just felt awkward and slow to control, and caused a lot of frustration. The best parts of the game were when the main gimmick was taken away from you and you just played SM64-esque platforming challenges.

D

Deleted member

In terms of 3D Mario games, I think Super Mario 64 is more important than fun. Both gameplay-and-graphically, it didn't age well, and if the Nintendo DS had an analogue pad/stick, SM64DS would undeniably be the superior experience.

I can't lie though, I much prefer Sunshine and Odyssey over all the others. 3D Land was a ton of fun and worth completing, but it was not worth a sequel in my opinion, even if that sequel was very well designed.

Sunshine and Odyssey just have much more girth to their settings than what the other games have to offer. Almost all of Sunshine's vistas are aesthetically pleasing and you get the impression that it'd be awesome to have a vacation there. Odyssey is just a giftbox of presentations of various cultures, and gives a very neat insight of what Super Mario's world could be geographically.

Odyssey will remain my current favorite because it not only has such a strong theme to it, it also provides a similarly useful moveset to SM64's acrobatics.
If it didn't force motion controls on you, I'd say it'd be a dang near perfect game.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I mean, technically, Galaxy 2 and 3D World had the least impact due to being just another Galaxy and 3D Land.

They're both some of the best soup marro games tho

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Oooof...we're gonna have to agree to disagree there, ha ha. SM64 IMO has been the peak of 3D Mario design before SMO came along. The controls have aged phenomenally, and the level design has remained timeless as an example of how to make a good collectathon IMO. The soundtrack is also to this day some of Koji Kondo's best work.

To me, Sunshine is probably the weakest 3D Mario. F.L.U.D.D added nothing great to the mix apart from a few cool sections. Most of Sunshine's design has odd choices that just felt awkward and slow to control, and caused a lot of frustration. The best parts of the game were when the main gimmick was taken away from you and you just played SM64-esque platforming challenges.
A disagreement indeed, as I think that besides Odyssey, Sunshine had some of the most interesting level design and the best immersion in 3D mario. Not to say it doesn't have frustrating parts which are definitely flaws for me, but overall I feel like it does all of its other aspects so good that it I am content with not letting it affect my overall experience.

But in terms of control, I do think 64 is great in those terms, which is what I feel like the DS version failed at, but I do prefer mario's lighter weight in Sunshine

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
3D land is definitely more than an hour long. And it had really tight level design as well as fantastic controls. It was the first 3D mario that is actually a platformer in the traditional sense. And due to this, it makes playing through the game not only interesting on it's own merits, but an advancement of the formula introduced in the past 2D mario games
Yeah, I gotta admit that I feel like 3D Land/World are better successors to the original SMB formula than the NSMB series.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
1550856494390.png

No progress made, cuz life. :/

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
SM64 is one of my favorite games to watch being broken.
Like, I've played it a dozen times but speedruns of it never stop being both hilarious and fascinating to me.

One of these days I'll probably give it a shot too. I wanna start speedrunning things... Hahaha

D

Deleted member

3D World is still my favorite Mario 3D game. I know people like the collectathons but those aren't for me. I liked Mario Odyssey's controls but my favorite moments were the separated areas with tightly designed challenges. I also stand by the belief Moons are pointless because there's really no incentive to getting them and they don't feel rewarding at all when many can be obtained by doing mindless tasks.
I'd rather have them Mario 64 style where you only get them for actually accomplishing something instead of warping out of a pipe.

But if it was up to me, Mario games would be more like Galaxy or 3D World. Better designed levels with a clear goal in mind, build off what makes the 2D games so great: short but satisfying challenges. Power ups are also something I miss a lot and the Cappy mechanic didn't feel like a replacement and most of the enemies just broke the momentum the game had with its fluid movement. Give me my Cape back, I wanna fly in a 3D space for once without a time limit.

D

Deleted member

SM64 is one of my favorite games to watch being broken.
Like, I've played it a dozen times but speedruns of it never stop being both hilarious and fascinating to me.

One of these days I'll probably give it a shot too. I wanna start speedrunning things... Hahaha
Yahoo, yahoo, y-y-y-y-yahoo, OOF

Lollipopped

Smash Lord
I'm tempted to say that 3D World is my favorite Mario game, but I never really go back to it. So I'm gonna have to say SM64(DS).
Though I haven't played Sunshine, Galaxy, or Odyssey yet.

D

Deleted member

A disagreement indeed, as I think that besides Odyssey, Sunshine had some of the most interesting level design and the best immersion in 3D mario. Not to say it doesn't have frustrating parts which are definitely flaws for me, but overall I feel like it does all of its other aspects so good that it I am content with not letting it affect my overall experience.

But in terms of control, I do think 64 is great in those terms, which is what I feel like the DS version failed at, but I do prefer mario's lighter weight in Sunshine
I agree with you and @DaemonDD about the world for sure, that is definitely leaps and bounds better than a lot of Mario games. Sunshine has aged super well in the looks department, as IMHO it looks just as good as games like Wind Waker or Metroid Prime to this day.

I don't hate Sunshine by any means, I think it is a great game (one I need to finish someday), but for me personally, I think I do prefer other Mario games simply because the lows in other Mario games weren't as low as Sunshine's were for me. There were parts of Sunshine that were great from what I played: The Secret Courses are amazing and some of Mario's toughest level design, the music is fantastic, and apart from F.L.U.D.D. being a pain sometimes, level exploration is still a treat.

TBH, though, Mario is my favorite franchise in all of media, so you're probably not gonna see me ever criticise one too harshly unless it's really bad or something, lol. Just like Zelda, I believe almost all of Mario's mainline games are like 9/10 and 10/10 games by themselves. It's when you compare them to one another that things get tricky.

D

Deleted member

I'm tempted to say that 3D World is my favorite Mario game, but I never really go back to it. So I'm gonna have to say SM64(DS).
Though I haven't played Sunshine, Galaxy, or Odyssey yet.
Your icon changes so much that it disorients me lol

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Imagine if they combined the open world of Odyssey/Sunshine, gameplay of 3D Land+World, and the pure uniqueness and amazing worlds that surpass Odyssey and 3D World...though of course atm it might be hard to surpass what Odyssey did
I mean, technically, Galaxy 2 and 3D World had the least impact due to being just another Galaxy and 3D Land.

They're both some of the best soup marro games tho
3D World made Peach useful for Mario’s adventure, made Rosalina a playable character in a main game, made us all furries thanks to being cats, and began the Pimp Daddy Bowser hype train...the game had more impact than 3D World by default just because of the latter reason alone
Yeah, I gotta admit that I feel like 3D Land/World are better successors to the original SMB formula than the NSMB series.
That’s because the 3D games are better than the New Soup series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom