• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The problem with trans representation in various media-- games, shows, comics, whatever-- is that there aren't enough comfortably trans people working within these media. There's no one there to say, "that's not okay". Even when a game has good intentions-- Mass Effect Andromeda comes to mind-- it can still be done the completely wrong way because it was written by a bunch of straight men.

I can't speak on any controversies or lack thereof in any of these Atlus games. I don't play them. But I think an inarguable truth is that more minorities need to be represented in these staffs so that they can be properly represented in the work itself.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I don’t know..... maybe Persona shouldn’t play with gender like this if the stuff they choose to do can so easily be misconstrued as offensive.
Anything can be misconstrued as offensive. There is nothing that can be done about that. In context to her story, her dressing as a boy makes perfect sense. Its a case of another thing taken out of context and never corrected by anyone

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Naoto is a character who disguises as a man due to her wanting to be a detective but due to all the stories being male-centric she believes she, a woman, will never be a detective because of her gender and her Shadow self tries turning her into a man iirc. While Naoto isn't trans despite fans mistaking her as such due to this, it's instead about how gender norms are bull**** about careers

I know **** all about 3 but I'm assuming it's that one NPC trying to trick you into dating her only to get caught by facial hair or something? Because you know, that's totally not offensive at all

Now I'm curious about LGBT representation in Danganronpa. Never played it but I'm aware of what you mean with the crossdresser who's name begins with a C
Yea, and from what I get she's portrayed as quite perverted. (as in the P3 character. Sad because I love P3 from what I know of it.)

I LOVE Danganronpa, but it's not good with LGBT rep. Here's what I got for you.
-One character, Hanamura, is portrayed as basically pansexual and VERY perverted.
-One of the characters, Komaeda, seems deeply in love with the protag of his game, a man, but...is so ****ing crazy that it's hard to tell sometimes.
-One of the characters, Ouma, seems to be in love with Saihara...and is portrayed as a constantly lying antagonist jackass.
-One of the characters, Tenko, is portrayed as an over-the-top man-hater in love with a female character.
-I'm not even going to begin with Korekiyo from V3.
-One of the characters is actually some of the most heartbreaking, realistic gay rep I've seen in an anime. He features in DR3, the anime, but...isn't treated the best by the narrative. This is the best LGBT rep in the series. His name is Juzo.
-One character may be a lesbian, but either way is badly battered, abused, and used for fanservice. This is Mikan, from SDR2.

It's ****ing crazy, haha.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yea, and from what I get she's portrayed as quite perverted. (as in the P3 character. Sad because I love P3 from what I know of it.)

I LOVE Danganronpa, but it's not good with LGBT rep. Here's what I got for you.
-One character, Hanamura, is portrayed as basically pansexual and VERY perverted.
-One of the characters, Komaeda, seems deeply in love with the protag of his game, a man, but...is so ****ing crazy that it's hard to tell sometimes.
-One of the characters, Ouma, seems to be in love with Saihara...and is portrayed as a constantly lying antagonist *******.
-One of the characters, Tenko, is portrayed as an over-the-top man-hater in love with a female character.
-I'm not even going to begin with Korekiyo from V3.
-One of the characters is actually some of the most heartbreaking, realistic gay rep I've seen in an anime. He features in DR3, the anime, but...isn't treated the best by the narrative. This is the best LGBT rep in the series.
-One character may be a lesbian, but either way is badly battered, abused, and used for fanservice.

Ooooookay I don't know if I plan on purchasing that leaked trilogy for the Switch anymore

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Ooooookay I don't know if I plan on purchasing that leaked trilogy for the Switch anymore
Trust me; buy it.
I'm a bit biased since I kinda grew up with the series, but you will love it.
I totally get if you're uncomfortable with that stuff (I dunno why I'm not, because I am most certainly not exactly cishet) but I guarantee that you will enjoy the series.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Now I'm curious about LGBT representation in Danganronpa. Never played it but I'm aware of what you mean wit
From, what I've played and watched, I don't recall a lot of instances of that. A character in V3, could potentially be lesbian, but it's rather hard to tell considering her backstory.

In DR3, the anime, there is a major character that's revealed to be homosexual, but that's a major spoiler so I'll keep it at that.

There's also a ton of side material, but I've got no personal experience with that.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Trust me; buy it.
I'm a bit biased since I kinda grew up with the series, but you will love it.
I totally get if you're uncomfortable with that stuff (I dunno why I'm not, because I am most certainly not exactly cishet) but I guarantee that you will enjoy the series.
Isn't the franchise like 5 years old? Luigi are you 12 or something?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
According to google it's been around for nine years.
Danganronpa has been around since 2010. It's had a fandom long before it's English release 4 years ago.
jesus ****. The thing is I KNEW about it before the English release as a friend showed the anime to me before we knew it was an adaptation of a game

D

Deleted member

I never played Geno's game nor Chrono's game, so I do not know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I don’t know..... maybe Persona shouldn’t play with gender like this if the stuff they choose to do can so easily be misconstrued as offensive.
The problem is that it is obvious.

The way the game plays out makes it clear why Naoto did what she did. You'd have to purposefully ignore the dialogue in order to misconstrue Naoto as a trans guy.

That's why I say that they pretend Naoto is trans, not that they mistake Naoto as trans.

Chihiro's situation was admittedly ambiguous back when the game first released, and it didn't help that the way his "reveal" was handled is admittedly much worse, however supplementary material has long since confirmed that Chihiro himself identifies as male. School Mode in DR Reloaded and Talent Mode in DRV3 both confirm this.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
If it makes you feel better...Tony has had it WAAAAAAAY worse than Samus ever has (well...a majority of Tony Starks do that is)
It's okay. I just tend to worry when Samus, and Pit for that matter, don't get much love of respect, especially cinnamon angel. So pretty much less of the jokes and terrible memes I'd say, and more appreciation for the amazing heroes.

Not sure what else to say atm. D:

D

Deleted member

Can we go back to talking about voices? This current conversation sucks.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
-One of the characters, Ouma, seems to be in love with Saihara... and is portrayed as a constantly lying antagonist *******.
In fairness, him acting like that more has to do with the themes of DRV3 itself, and factors heavily into his character as a whole.

Kokichi is Kokichi because he is a liar, that's who Kokichi is.

If Kokichi wasn't a liar, he wouldn't be Kokichi.

It's honestly one of the best things about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom