• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I just read a couple articles. The Persona series isn't clean either. Far from it. When something like this resonates with you very personally you just NEED to work out the aggression somehow. And unfortunately I don't have a dart board.

Just read this: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...-catherine-full-body?utm_campaign=sharebutton

Correct me if their interpretation of the games is wrong. But that one in particular caused the most outrage in me.
I swear to god if I click on this link and it's ANOTHER person misunderstanding Naoto's character arc, I'm going to be legitimately upset.

I've had enough of this false controversy, it's getting annoying.

EDIT: GOD. DAMMIT.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I swear to god if I click on this link and it's ANOTHER person misunderstanding Naoto's character arc, I'm going to be legitimately upset.

if they played P4, they wouldnt be offended by Naoto. You gotta try reaaaaal hard to get offended at that- oh my god they literaly called Naoto a he. i cant

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
The PTSD thing was fine, imo.
My biggest problems with Other M were just Adam Malkovich and the voice acting, because everything else was alright and at least fun to play for a while.
Oh I didn't really care for the game. I just wanted to explain one of her weaknesses, that's all. She still awesome overall though and deserves respect. :ultsamus:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I was trying to cast for a teenager character in my game, and as a joke, my modeller sent me an audio file of him doing this really stupid southern accent. I swear I love it.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

From what I'm reading Naoto is only one part of this fairly detailed article.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
if they played P4, they wouldnt be offended by Naoto. You gotta try reaaaaal hard to get offended at that- oh my god they literaly called Naoto a he. i cant
IT'S BEEN 11 YEARS!

You'd think we'd have sorted this **** out by now, but nooOOOOooo. It looks like Naoto and Chihiro are still gonna have to suffer this stupid fake controversy for the future to come.

D

Deleted member

Should we make a thread to show the mods how much we want an Alph emote?

D

Deleted member

Edit: Whoops, I did not mean to release this post.
I do not know what avatar I should have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
IT'S BEEN 11 YEARS!

You'd think we'd have sorted this **** out by now, but nooOOOOooo. It looks like Naoto and Chihiro are still gonna have to suffer this stupid fake controversy for the future to come.
Its clear the people at Vice didnt play Persona 4 all the way through her dungeon and only got to the part where she said shes dressed as a boy and said "Ok, thats all I need"

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Think of it this way.
It will never be as bad a stupid misunderstanding by people that don't play games as it is Danganronpa.

D

Deleted member

Don’t beat yourself up. Everyone makes mistakes. I quintuple posted once. What matters is how you pick yourself back together, and you did a good job apologizing and diffusing the situation.
Want to hear the ironic thing? I was literally saying how everyone should be optimistic, but I was acting pessimistic at that time.
ironic.gif

Thank you. :p

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
IT'S BEEN 11 YEARS!

Its clear the people at Vice didnt play Persona 4 all the way through her dungeon and only got to the part where she said shes dressed as a boy and said "Ok, thats all I need"
I feel like the controversy is coming more from the fact that they're treating being trans as something you have to fix, rather than portraying it as what it is.

However I didn't play P4 that much so I dont have a direct opinion on it

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I feel like the controversy is coming more from the fact that they're treating being trans as something you have to fix, rather than portraying it as what it is.

Using Naoto for the "Persona is transphobic" argument will always lead to it becoming divided.
Now, if the author had focused on how badly PERSONA 3 ****ed up...

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Using Naoto for the "Persona is transphobic" argument will always lead to it becoming divided.
I had absolutely no idea all these games had trans characters.

Huh.

D

Deleted member

We should make a thread to show interest on Ultimate emotes of Link’s Tunic Of The Wild, Alph and Meta Ridley.

Where could I post that thread?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Then explain to me what actually happened. I’ve never played the game so I genuinely don’t know. Do it in DM if you want.

D

Deleted member

Oh, they make JOKES out of trans characters, but don't have any trans characters properly respected if that's what you meant.
This sounds pathetic.
Not your point of view on the subject, but the way Atlus treats LGTB content in Persona.

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Oh, they make JOKES out of trans characters, but don't have any trans characters properly respected if that's what you meant.
I assumed from your and others' tones that they weren't properly represented or respected. I was surprised by the amount of them in Persona/SMT/whatever games. At the same time, sadly, making them jokes doesn't surprise me much considering P3 and P4 both came out before social media made more people aware of and attuned to LGBTQ issues in general.

Before I met an actual trans person at age 22 I'd only ever seen them as the butt of a joke. Hopefully the next generation won't be that way through the efforts we're making now to call it out.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Then explain to me what actually happened. I’ve never played the game so I genuinely don’t know. Do it in DM if you want.
Naoto grew up reading detective fiction that features prominently male police detectives.
She wants to be a detective, herself.
She dresses up and acts like a boy and acts serious so that more people treat her as such.
She does not actually want to be a man.

At least that's what I recall. I haven't played P4G since 2012.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

The problem is that Naoto and Chihiro aren't Trans, but people pretend they are in order to create false controversies over the way they're portrayed.

If Naoto and Chihiro were actually trans, then the controversy would be justified, and I'd honestly agree that the way they're portrayed is not acceptable. But as it stands, the controversy is fake, and that's what pisses me off.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

Naoto and chihiro wernt trans. Chirio was bullyed for not being man enough and got a weakness complex and dressed as a girl to run from it, making it worse.He is still a he

Naoto dressed as a boy because the field she was in wouldnt take females seriously so shr dressed as a boy to make them take he seriously
the fact they made those two controversies is ridiculous and shows they haven't played it either of those games

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I assumed from your and others' tones that they weren't properly represented or respected. I was surprised by the amount of them in Persona/SMT/whatever games. At the same time, sadly, making them jokes doesn't surprise me much considering P3 and P4 both came out before social media made more people aware of and attuned to LGBTQ issues in general.

Before I met an actual trans person at age 22 I'd only ever seen them as the butt of a joke. Hopefully the next generation won't be that way through the efforts we're making now to call it out.
I really hope so too.
I have friends who are trans people, and I would die inside if something awful happened to them just for being so.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Naoto is a character who disguises as a man due to her wanting to be a detective but due to all the stories being male-centric she believes she, a woman, will never be a detective because of her gender and her Shadow self tries turning her into a man iirc. While Naoto isn't trans despite fans mistaking her as such due to this, it's instead about how gender norms are bull**** about careers
I know **** all about 3 but I'm assuming it's that one NPC trying to trick you into dating her only to get caught by facial hair or something? Because you know, that's totally not offensive at all
Think of it this way.
It will never be as bad a stupid misunderstanding by people that don't play games as it is Danganronpa.
Now I'm curious about LGBT representation in Danganronpa. Never played it but I'm aware of what you mean with the crossdresser who's name begins with a C

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I agree that modern Sonic needs fixing. But the solution should not be to emulate Mario. If Sonic became more like Mario i’d probably stop liking him. I’ve offered ideas as to how i’d fix Sonic in the past. He doesn’t need to just throw everything out and copy Mario. He needs to double down on what he’s doing and just do it really well.
When I was saying Sonic should copy Mario, I meant the main game series should keep the gameplay the way it is and not add/change things that don’t need to be messed with (Colors and Generations had it perfectly right on how 3D Sonic games should play, while Lost World and somewhat Forces were not). We’ve already seen Sonic try out Mario style gameplay through Lost World and *excluding the Yoshi dlc* didn’t work (probably shouldn’t have tried the Galaxy route but oh well)...and let’s not get started on the Boom games
While we're on the topic of voice actors: If Charles Martinet and Kenny James are replaced in the Mario movie, we riot.
Agreed
She's definitely not there. Plus we have her losing the suit if she loses concentration (at least that's what Other M had, I think)

Poor Samus. D: She's still precious though, and does have variable weaknesses... for those who recall her PTSD moment regarding the Ridley thing.
If it makes you feel better...Tony has had it WAAAAAAAY worse than Samus ever has (well...a majority of Tony Starks do that is)

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The problem is that Naoto and Chihiro aren't Trans, but people pretend they are in order to create false controversies over the way they're portrayed.

If Naoto and Chihiro were actually trans, then the controversy would be justified, and I'd honestly agree that the way they're portrayed is not acceptable. But as it stands, the controversy is fake, and that's what pisses me off.
I don’t know..... maybe Persona shouldn’t play with gender like this if the stuff they choose to do can so easily be misconstrued as offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom