• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I saw mention of "politics talk" and I thought word of the recent ATLUS controversy reached this thread. I'm worried about it, because while it's unprecedented in Smash, I fear it could possibly lead to Joker gettin' the axe.
Then Corrin would've also gotten the axe due to numerous articles of controversy such as Fates portrayal of bisexuals and the Soleil debacle.
Joker is safe and sound, buddy.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
SoSmashrightImeanRyuHayabusaissuchanobviouschoiceHe’sanNESiconhewouldbejustlikeSimonwithamassivesoundtracktobootandIwouldlovetoseeRayman,Shantae,FawfulandDixiebeupgradedfromSpiritstheyhavesomuchcharmandpersonalityandmovesetpotentialImeanRaymanhashalfaSmashmovesetalreadyandpersonallyIthinkCynthiaandFawfulshouldbethenextPokémonandMariorepsalsothereareotherWarioWarecharactersotherthanAshleythatwouldbejustasfittingforSmashand...
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Sorry just had to get that out of my system. I saw a rabbit on the way home and I’m a little more calm now.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Then Corrin would've also gotten the axe due to numerous articles of controversy such as Fates portrayal of bisexuals and the Soleil debacle.
Joker is safe and sound, buddy.
Fair, but to play devil's advocate, the fact that Corrin is Nintendo property probably gave 'em a pretty wide cushion for this sort of thing. Joker's completely ATLUS's thing, so I could see Nintendo givin' Joker the axe to avoid bein' associated with the controversy.

I'm just a worrywart, I guess.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Fair, but to play devil's advocate, the fact that Corrin is Nintendo property probably gave 'em a pretty wide cushion for this sort of thing. Joker's completely ATLUS's thing, so I could see Nintendo givin' Joker the axe to avoid bein' associated with the controversy.

I'm just a worrywart, I guess.
The controversy is going to die out. The controversy personally affects me, so I wish it wouldn't. But it is going to die out and likely be nothing more than a footnote.
By cutting Joker from the game, they become even MORE associated with the controversy. It would result in literally nothing good for them, never mind that Persona and Catherine aren't even the same game.
You are indeed being a worrywart. They already got his model done and showed, dude, it's FAR too late now for him to be removed.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The controversy is going to die out. The controversy personally affects me, so I wish it wouldn't. But it is going to die out and likely be nothing more than a footnote.
By cutting Joker from the game, they become even MORE associated with the controversy. It would result in literally nothing good for them, never mind that Persona and Catherine aren't even the same game.
You are indeed being a worrywart. They already got his model done and showed, dude, it's FAR too late now for him to be removed.
Fair point, fair point. I just can't help but consider the possibility. The controversy got me all kinds of upset too, but even though I know it'll die out soon, it still worries me. Also, they may not be the same game, but they're directed by the same person. Which is a big reason why I was worried.

i got my dream character nintendo don't take him away from me please

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

SoSmashrightImeanRyuHayabusaissuchanobviouschoiceHe’sanNESiconhewouldbejustlikeSimonwithamassivesoundtracktobootandIwouldlovetoseeRayman,Shantae,FawfulandDixiebeupgradedfromSpiritstheyhavesomuchcharmandpersonalityandmovesetpotentialImeanRaymanhashalfaSmashmovesetalreadyandpersonallyIthinkCynthiaandFawfulshouldbethenextPokémonandMariorepsalsothereareotherWarioWarecharactersotherthanAshleythatwouldbejustasfittingforSmashand...
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Sorry just had to get that out of my system. I saw a rabbit on the way home and I’m a little more calm now.
Yes I do agree that there are other potential Warioware reps outside of Ashley, Now put Jimmy T. in smash Sakurai please! I want to see my groovy boy in Smash.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Fair point, fair point. I just can't help but consider the possibility. The controversy got me all kinds of upset too, but even though I know it'll die out soon, it still worries me. Also, they may not be the same game, but they're directed by the same person. Which is a big reason why I was worried.

i got my dream character nintendo don't take him away from me please
Ah, Christ, not to be irrelevant but I hope that chuckle**** steps down or gets fired. I'm tired of that scumbag.

Trust me man, you're getting your boy, probably in a manner of weeks, you're fine.

Wait what happened with Atlus?
Look at the Catherine trend on Twitter. Let's not discuss it here.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Wait what happened with Atlus?
Well, to give you the long and short of it:

Basically, in Catherine, there's a transgender female character named Erica. Even in the original Catherine, she wasn't handled the greatest as a trans character. In one ending, one of Vincent's friends, who slept with Erica prior to the ending, reacts with disgust when Erica comes close to him, shouting about how "the other guys knew you as Eric back in high school". Already pretty ****ed up.

But in the remake, Catherine: Full Body, there's a specific ending in which one of the main romance options (who is a demon by the way), goes back in time to "make things better for Vincent", the main character. And when we get back to the present, one of the ways the timeline was "made better for Vincent" is by making it so Erica never transitioned to begin with. Now, there's some divide over what the true context of the ending is. Some people are saying the explanation here is what happened. Some people are saying it was a mistranslation, and the true context of the ending is that Erica is still trans, she just hasn't transitioned yet.

Either way, **** ain't lookin' good for ATLUS. People are up in arms.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Apparently there's something going around about timelines?

Some people are saying things were taken out of context.

I dunno though.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Apparently there's something going around about timelines?

Some people are saying things were taken out of context.

I dunno though.
If you're talkin' about what I said, yeah it's all over the place right now. It's not entirely clear what happened in that ending anymore, other than the trans character isn't transitioned at the point the ending takes place.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If you're talkin' about what I said, yeah it's all over the place right now. It's not entirely clear what happened in that ending anymore, other than the trans character isn't transitioned at the point the ending takes place.
Is that the new high-school ending? If so, then it'd be pretty obvious it's a result of time travel and not Erica being un-transistioned.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
NonSpecificGuy. . .
NSP. . .
Ninja Sex Party. . .

I think we're owed an explanation. whats going on here
That's my gender Neutral Persona. NonSpecificPerson. Theres also NonSpecificGal but she hasn't seen the light of day since before the day I was born.
I still never got that Snake ditto with NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy .
My Snake in Ultimate is cleeeaaaannn.
***** I gotta see this for my own eyes. We'll have to make a date.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Is that the new high-school ending? If so, then it'd be pretty obvious it's a result of time travel and not Erica being un-transistioned.
The full context of the ending is that Vincent wishes he had met Catherine earlier in his life, so she goes back in time to high school days and starts dating Vincent there. Then we fast forward to an indeterminate time in the future where Catherine and Vincent are getting married, and during that scene, Erica is seen as her pre-transition self. The confusion over the ending comes from the fact that we don't know how far in the future (relative to high school days) it takes place.

There's also the possibility that it takes place after the main game like we'd expect, but Catherine being present during high school changed around the timeline in some butterfly effect **** and now Erica just transitions later in her life.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Darn time travel.

Makes everything confusing

D

Deleted member

I just realized Minecraft has sold over 154 Million dollars which is second only to Tetris, the thing is that when people count Tetris they mean the entire franchise and not just one specific version which I think is unfair and despite Tetris being a rather simplistic puzzle game it shouldn't get Special treatment.

Point being if we only count the original versions of Tetris and not Spinoffs Minecraft likely has outsold even Tetris at this point, if that's not an incentive to add Steve to Smash I don't know what is, and that's coming from someone who vastly prefers Banjo over Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Well, to give you the long and short of it:

Basically, in Catherine, there's a transgender female character named Erica. Even in the original Catherine, she wasn't handled the greatest as a trans character. In one ending, one of Vincent's friends, who slept with Erica prior to the ending, reacts with disgust when Erica comes close to him, shouting about how "the other guys knew you as Eric back in high school". Already pretty ****ed up.

But in the remake, Catherine: Full Body, there's a specific ending in which one of the main romance options (who is a demon by the way), goes back in time to "make things better for Vincent", the main character. And when we get back to the present, one of the ways the timeline was "made better for Vincent" is by making it so Erica never transitioned to begin with. Now, there's some divide over what the true context of the ending is. Some people are saying the explanation here is what happened. Some people are saying it was a mistranslation, and the true context of the ending is that Erica is still trans, she just hasn't transitioned yet.

Either way, **** ain't lookin' good for ATLUS. People are up in arms.
Well. Now I know this. Wish I didn't. When Joker launches the first thing I'm going to do is jump off a cliff with him 500 times. Not the kind of thing I wish i read before I went to bed.

The full context of the ending is that Vincent wishes he had met Catherine earlier in his life, so she goes back in time to high school days and starts dating Vincent there. Then we fast forward to an indeterminate time in the future where Catherine and Vincent are getting married, and during that scene, Erica is seen as her pre-transition self. The confusion over the ending comes from the fact that we don't know how far in the future (relative to high school days) it takes place.

There's also the possibility that it takes place after the main game like we'd expect, but Catherine being present during high school changed around the timeline in some butterfly effect **** and now Erica just transitions later in her life.
*cough* cop-out

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Well... that's an ambiguous situation then, but I'm honestly leaning on the outrage being illfounded.
As far as I can tell, the only thing that changed was Catherine's meeting Vincent earlier and thus, Erica should still remain exactly the same as she would originally and thus logically, she would still eventually transition. It seems far more likely to me that Catherine's time travel shenanigans and foresight expediated the marriage process than somehow changing the mind of a trans person.

Well. Now I know this. Wish I didn't. When Joker launches the first thing I'm going to do is jump off a cliff with him 500 times. Not the kind of thing I wish i read before I went to bed.

*cough* cop-out
Joker's... not even part of the same game, or universe, or hell even franchise.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Well... that's an ambiguous situation then, but I'm honestly leaning on the outrage being illfounded.
As far as I can tell, the only thing that changed was Catherine's meeting Vincent earlier and thus, Erica should still remain exactly the same as she would originally and thus logically, she would still eventually transition. It seems far more likely to me that Catherine's time travel shenanigans and foresight expediated the marriage process than somehow changing the mind of a trans person.
Right now, the evidence seems to be leaning that way too. People are saying the original
"Erica just never transitions and stops being a trans girl in the new timeline"
interpretation wasn't actually true to begin with, and it was just people jumpin' the gun. But there's no solid evidence one way or the other.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
As far as I can tell, the only thing that changed was Catherine's meeting Vincent earlier and thus, Erica should still remain exactly the same as she would originally and thus logically, she would still eventually transition. It seems far more likely to me that Catherine's time travel shenanigans and foresight expedited the marriage process than somehow changing the mind of a trans person.

Joker's... not even part of the same game, or universe, or hell even franchise.
I just read a couple articles. The Persona series isn't clean either. Far from it. When something like this resonates with you very personally you just NEED to work out the aggression somehow. And unfortunately I don't have a dart board.

Just read this: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...-catherine-full-body?utm_campaign=sharebutton

Correct me if their interpretation of the games is wrong. But that one in particular caused the most outrage in me.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
Smash isn't connected to that game
Neither is Joker
Neither is Persona 5

I don't see how that's going to solve anything or give some feeling of satisfaction.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I just read a couple articles. The Persona series isn't clean either. Far from it. When something like this resonates with you very personally you just NEED to work out the aggression somehow. And unfortunately I don't have a dart board.
Well honestly, it seems like it's a rather large waste of time when you could be beating online opponents instead, but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
tfw this isn't even the strangest thing that happens in full body

glances at rin's ending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom