• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If we really do end up getting another SE character today, what would your opinions be on Geno getting in Smash?

Personally, I see it as Sakurai purposely avoiding the character. You can't claim SE isn't cooperating since (1) We have a Geno Spirit when Cloud can't even get original artwork from his franchise, and (2) SE would've just given Sakurai permission for that second charcater.
It would mean Nintendo chose the Fighter Pass characters. Too crazy?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If fortnite got into smash as a fighter I’m boycotting everything Nintendo and smash even this site

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
If we really do end up getting another SE character today, what would your opinions be on Geno getting in Smash?

Personally, I see it as Sakurai purposely avoiding the character. You can't claim SE isn't cooperating since (1) We have a Geno Spirit when Cloud can't even get original artwork from his franchise, and (2) SE would've just given Sakurai permission for that second charcater.
I see it as Nintendo deciding a niche character from a game 20 years ago isn't their best way to make money.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So is now the part where we start saying "_______ left until the Direct!" every page?

'Cause 3hrs58min left until the Direct.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Square-Enix can easily say no to Geno being playable. Sakurai still wanting Geno to appear in means he can still be a spirit and they reached that general agreement.

Sakurai still is doing what he can to make the character playable, but that's not how licensing works. It's up to SE to say yes. If they don't, so be it. On the other hand, he can at least make the character appear in the game to give something to the fans. Likewise, I'm sure all the 3rd party Mii costumes were intentionally held back as DLC for more company sales... which makes a ton of sense.

Seems like normal business to me, and not some silly bias.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I see it as Nintendo deciding a niche character from a game 20 years ago isn't their best way to make money.
Nintendo? Just because Sakurai said they make the decisions doesn't mean he isn't responsible from the every choice in the game. He's obviously a troll.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Remember when you and Ramen came this close to e-****ing, we're not just gonna forget about that
I've been told couples start to look like each other over time.

Lollipopped

Smash Lord

I dunno...but if we have to go another 10 years of people asking for Geno in Smash, then I might blow my brains out onto the pavement.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AfroGamerNinja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FluffyWarlock
Once Joker's in, I wonder if he'll come with just Persona spirits (and even then, will it only be actual Personas or will it include Persona users too) or if there will also be spirits from the wider Megami Tensei franchise.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It would mean Nintendo chose the Fighter Pass characters. Too crazy?
Guess I could've worded that better.

One of the most popular arguements for why Geno isn't in the base roster is "SE wouldn't let Sakurai use him." If we were to get a second SE character, regardless of the fact that it was chosen by Nintendo, then that would mean SE is willing to give up other IPs to Smash and that Sakurai could've added Geno if he really wanted to.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Once Joker's in, I wonder if he'll come with just Persona spirits (and even then, will it only be actual Personas or will it include Persona users too) or if there will also be spirits from the wider Megami Tensei franchise.
We don't even know if he'll come with Spirits at all. Fighter Pass info says nothing about them.

That being said, if we do end up getting some, I only expect Phantom Thieves and their Personas. Possibly a few popular characters from previous games like Elizabeth and maybe some generic Personas like Jack Frost.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Goddammit I've got "Hero" by Chad Kroeger stuck in my head now.

Somebody get it out.

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo? Just because Sakurai said they make the decisions doesn't mean he isn't responsible from the every choice in the game. He's obviously a troll.
I know you're joking, but the sentiment about Geno never ceases to make me laugh. People act like the only reason he isn't in the game is because Sakurai personally doesn't like him, like he's Luigi or something and enormously clear to everyone he should be in the game. I think it comes down to the echo chamber in these sorts of places, because very few people even know who Geno is.

There are probably dozens of characters more currently relevant to Nintendo and well known than Geno to choose from.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I'd assume if he does get some spirits, they'd most likely be of his fellow Phantom Thieves, and maybe Mara Jack Frost? I do hope there'll be more though.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

One of the most popular arguements for why Geno isn't in the base roster is "SE wouldn't let Sakurai use him." If we were to get a second SE character, regardless of the fact that it was chosen by Nintendo, then that would mean SE is willing to give up other IPs to Smash and that Sakurai could've added Geno if he really wanted to.
Is that how it works? Only unique third party newcomer in the base roster was Simon, I doubt Sakurai even planned another one like him.

Not to mention SE can be OK with a Dragon Quest character and not Geno, I think you are looking too hard to find a bias here.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

That's a leap in logic. SE needs to benefit from the character choice. If they don't stand to benefit, they can easily say, "No, not that one. We'll counter offer this one that could lead to more sales of this other game for us instead."

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice

Ah that makes sense. Yeah, I agree with you that it may show Geno was possible, but maybe the situation changed too. Sakurai could have wanted him for the base at some point but SE didn't view that as beneficial enough to them. I figure DLC probably makes them more money plus they'd rather choose a character of theirs with games they want to sell over Geno too.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I dunno...but if we have to go another 10 years of people asking for Geno in Smash, then I might blow my brains out onto the pavement.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Part of me magically hopes Square chimed in on letting Sakurai finally make Geno, but at the same time also had to agree to make a Dragon Quest hero.

Basically, im 99% sure "Brave" the DQ3 protagonist. Its Square's second most iconic franchise after FF, caters to a bunch of old school fans and the like, plus of the whole translation of "brave" being the generic class of hero in DQ. But i also hope Geno is a bonus 6th DLC character announced at the end of the season pass, like Pirahna plant was, where if you still get the pass before a certain date, hes included.

Definitely want the Geno talks to die already, same with Banjo (unfortunately, Isaac is guaranteed to be a hot topic for years now, but these 2 still have chances), but ill take what i can get. Having dragon quest is a big deal in itself.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
also do we have an explanation for why kid trunks is 13 but still looks 8
Super is currently in AGE 780 which is when Bra was born, so he's actually 15.

Guess who else was 15?

...Which is something I would brush aside if we hadn't already seen a tall 14-year-old Trunks in History of Trunks. So I dunno.

Just a penguin

Smash Master
Goddammit I've got "Hero" by Chad Kroeger stuck in my head now.

Somebody get it out.
Somebody once told me the world was gonna roll me. I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed. She was looking kinda dumb with a finger and a thumb in the shape of an L on her forehead. Well, the years start coming and they don't stop coming. Bend to the rules, then hit the ground running. Didn't make sense not to live for fun. Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb. So much to do, so much to see. So what's wrong with taking the backstreets?

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
RE: Geno's chances, they ultimately depend on three things:

1. Sakurai wants the character as much as fans claims he does. Who says he hasn't changed his mind over time?
2. Nintendo believes a character who appeared once, in a decades old game, and will likely never appear in a major title again, will sell well enough as DLC. Base game? Not an issue. But it's different when that character is being sold separately.
3. Square doesn't have other, bigger priorities from series that still make them money. Plus let's not forget Square's general protectiveness of its IP, even if they aren't actually using Geno for anything.

During the base game, he had a good chance, but I really don't see him happening now.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Wait... is this thread actually speculating about Smash?

I'm shocked.

The Phantom Thieves, and maybe their Personas, are probably gonna be Spirits. They could do Spirits of characters from Persona 4 or 3 or of other SMT characters like Jack Frost, but I only really expect the Phantom Thieves.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
also do we have an explanation for why kid trunks is 13 but still looks 8
Goten's worse. He's the exact same age Gohan was when he beat Cell.

Let that sink in.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Is that how it works? Only unique third party newcomer in the base roster was Simon, I doubt Sakurai even planned another one like him.

Not to mention SE can be OK with a Dragon Quest character and not Geno, I think you are looking too hard to find a bias here.
That's still a decision that was up to Sakurai. He chose Simon over every other popular third-party, including Geno.

And like I said in my earlier post, clearly SE can't be THAT stingy with Geno. The fact that he and Mallow have a Spirit from SMRPG while Cloud uses his Smash artwork says a lot.

That's a leap in logic. SE needs to benefit from the character choice. If they don't stand to benefit, they can easily say, "No, not that one. We'll counter offer this one that could lead to more sales of this other game for us instead."
True, but that's not exactly something we can prove either. Plus, based on how Cloud was handled, it sounds like Sakurai did most of the work. Don't see why SE would outright deny giving him Geno so they could promote something like FF or DQ if they can barely hand over any content besides the character itself.

If we get a second SE rep, then we'll know for sure that Geno's absence isn't as simple as "SE won't give Sakurai the rights! SE is horrible!".

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
RE: Geno's chances, they ultimately depend on three things:

1. Sakurai wants the character as much as fans claims he does. Who says he hasn't changed his mind over time?
2. Nintendo believes a character who appeared once, in a decades old game, and will likely never appear in a major title again, will sell well enough as DLC. Base game? Not an issue. But it's different when that character is being sold separately.
3. Square doesn't have other, bigger priorities from series that still make them money. Plus let's not forget Square's general protectiveness of its IP, even if they aren't actually using Geno for anything.

During the base game, he had a good chance, but I really don't see him happening now.

That's why at this point i see him being a Pirahna plant-esque addition for the fighters pass. A 6th fighter but no stage or music really added. A possible surprise since it has the possibility of happening but its a stretch

It seems to me, the other fighters are likely to be big amd iconic like joker. Dragon Quest seems to have that pull from Square, or KH, but i feel like that would be extremely difficult.

Last edited:

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
I made a bet with my friend where we tried to guess 3 things that are going to be featured in the Direct. The one that gets the least things right has to sing the brazilian counterpart of "Mine Diamonds". Tomorrow is gonna be fun.

D

Deleted member

So I hit it off with this girl in one of my classes and we went for a first date and it went really well

And then I checked her FB and it turns out she's a homophobe

This is unepic Alexa hit my kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom