• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I read a Game FAQ poll a few years ago and out of 78 votes only 28 percent said he would be eligable for smash
Your first mistake was using GameFAQ as a source...

If it helps any, someone who claims to have worked on a Captain N fansite and interviewed one of the people said this:

The thread is wrong.

Nintendo owns the characters. I discussed it when the person who was putting together the Captain N DVD sets. (I used to run a Captain N fansite.) Nintendo owns the characters. DiC owns the episodes produced. The comic rights were owned by Valiant, but Valiant has been bought and sold and went out of buisness a few times since then so nobody really knows who owns them anymore.

Further the shortlived Captain N comic series contains the statement that all character in the book are trademark of Nintendo (Simon and Megaman didn't appear in the comic.) DiC isn't mentioned anywhere in the credits.

Captain N is a Nintendo character.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Yeah, he made his debut in a Nintendo Power issue, last I checked
I don't think it was actually him, rather it was the inspiration

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, since I've pretty much been given the go ahead...

Retro rep: Captain N
Kevin_Keene.jpg

Captain N (real name Kevin Keene) is the main protagonist of the Nintendo animated series Captain N: The Game Master. Originally from the real world, Kevin and his pet dog were sucked into the world of Videoland while Kevin was playing his video games. There, they learned that Princess Lena, the ruler of Videoland, and her various companions (Simon Belmont, Mega Man, and Pit) were engaged in a war against Mother Brain for rulership over Videoland after Lena's father was banished to another realm. While the show itself hasn't exactly aged well (it was made by DiC Entertainment), it has developed a cult following for essentially being Super Smash Bros before Super Smash Bros was even a thing, including references to countless Nintendo games released at the time, even including The Legend of Zelda. For his Smash appearance, Captain N would essentially be "NES the character", making countless references to games that came out at the time of the show's airing, most notably his NES Zapper, his signature weapon.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
I don't think it was actually him, rather it was the inspiration
They seem to look identical so I don't think it really matters that much honestly. Captain N is owned by NoA, so he would technically count as a first-party. The main thing blocking his way is the fact that he doesn't originate from a video-game (But hey, there's always ROB), and is exclusively only known in the West.

I'd like to know what people think on this before any decision is made, as this is quite a tricky one. If Captain N can be submitted, characters like Nester can be submitted as well.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Job #81: Mike Jones

PngItem_4142806.png

(There is official concept art of Mike but it doesn't look a lot like him, so instead here he is as a sprite appreciating potassium)

Mike Jones is the all-American, baseball-playing, cave-exploring, time-traveling hero of the classic StarTropics duology for the NES. In his adventures Mike wields several weapons, from his trademark yo-yo and baseball bat, to bolas, shurikens, and even psychic abilities. He would doubtlessly be a weapons master like Link or Simon, but with an advantage in mobility and a great air game (due to the way StarTropics dungeons are designed, you'll be doing a lot of jumping attacks, so Mike would be more focused on that). He could come with several gimmicks based on StarTropics gameplay if need be, like multidirectional aiming (think Mega Man's Metal Blade) or an inverse of Lucario's Aura (Mike's weapons get weaker the less HP he has).

Why pick Mike Jones? For one, he feels like a very "retro" character; his personality, backstory, and hobbies are the archetypal 80's American teenager, and his adventures are reminiscent of classic movies such as Back to the Future and The Goonies. In my opinion he has a ton of moveset potential as far as retro characters go, thanks to having two games to pull material from. And finally, StarTropics is a great part of Nintendo's history that they unfortunately seem to ignore a lot these days (Mike doesn't even have a Spirit!) so this is a good chance to fix that!

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I have a special entry for this category

Job No. 81 Virtual Boy

Franchise: Virtual Boy

Originating: 1995

The Virtual Boy was a "handheld" console realsed in 1994 after the delay of the N64, however as you may know it failed with only roughly a dozen games and discontinued a year later in 1995

However over time the Virtual Boy gained an ironic loving by the gaming community and I among others believe it be alongside the likes of ROB and Game and Watch as a peripheral based character

Virtual Boy has many possible moveset potential, he could be a good zoning fighter, he could reference the other terrible video game peripherals of old like the power glove or U force, or rely on lasers and whatnot

Some ideas for a moveset:

Side Smash: First it's a power glove punch then a teloboxer punch

Up Smash: Use the U Force to create a beam of phycic energy

Down Smash: Use a giant n64 joystick and spin it like a razor (based on the n64 joystick controversy)

He grabs with his ultra hand and holds you in his lens like how you play the virtual boy

His pummel it a shock of red energy to the eyes
(Note I also though of a gimmick where shots to the faces with his red light attacks cause your controls to go backwards)

His forward throw he uses the controller cord like a lasso

His up throw is him flailing his stand for rapid kicks

His down throw would cause a 3d terramino to crush you burying you

His neutral special uses the game boy camera to blind and stun the opponents, its weak but it leaves them very open

His side special causes him to latch on the opponent and use his red laser beams to the face, it can also be charged but it makes it easier for the fighter to shake off

His side special uses the Rolling Rocker and acts similarly to bowser jrs side special

His up special has him use the the game boy printer to make a big peice of paper to launch him upward, it also pushes fighters and can be manipulated

His final smash is him using a red portal on a fighter and has them being overwhelmed by red lasers until they explode

This is my rough moveset for vitual boy if he gets into smash, is it interesting

Plus his spirits could be based on other video game consoles and peripherals
He could also have a good amount of potential fighter personalities like a meek and slightly nervous person given a chance or a terrifying mechanical abomination seen below

I mean with this video you already have a trailer

So come on give Virtual Boy a chance

Possible Alts

Famicom white and red
SNES gray and purple
Gameboy green and black
GBA Purple
Camo
Navy Blue
Pink
Ivory White

I even made a simple classic mode

Color me Impressed
Each fighter is based off the color of a rainbow
(Based on the infamous black and red color sceme)
Red Mario
Orange Crash
Yellow Pikachu and Pichu
Green Bowser and Krool
Blue Sonic and Mega Man
Purple Galleon
Black and White: Galeem and Dharkon
With my virtual boy entry is it still eligable, I spent some time making a moveset and classic mode for it

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
They seem to look identical so I don't think it really matters that much honestly. Captain N is owned by NoA, so he would technically count as a first-party. The main thing blocking his way is the fact that he doesn't originate from a video-game (But hey, there's always ROB), and is exclusively only known in the West.

I'd like to know what people think on this before any decision is made, as this is quite a tricky one. If Captain N can be submitted, characters like Nester can be submitted as well.
Yeah, sorry if my submission caused any trouble here...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

If Nintendo does own him then I think there's no problem. I remember hearing that he, or at least the cartoon, was partly owned by DiC, so it would be good to have that clarified. But worst case scenario we'd have to negotiate with them a la Twitter. He's definitely a character associated with Nintendo and videogames so he makes sense in an honorary capacity I guess.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
OK.

I did the post about Takamaru, but that wasn't my real submission, as someone had already beat me to it.

Now dis

Dis is the real deal

My ACTUAL Retro Character Submission: Sukapon from Joy Mech Fight

Sukapon_Assist_Trophy_(SSBU).png

Pictured: Sukapon asserting his dominance

Sukapon is the best Nintendo character of all time and protagonist of the revolutionary 1993 classic Joy Mech Fight.

Sukapon is an owarai (term for Japanese stand-up comedian) robot created by two inventors: Dr. Little Emon and Dr. Ivan Walnuts. One day, Dr. Walnuts suddenly declares his intention to rule the world and takes most of their robots with him, and in a last-ditch effort to stop him, Emon reworks Sukapon into a fighting robot. After a lotta fights, a final battle on the moon and a sudden change of heart by Walnuts, Sukapon returns happily ever after to his time as the world's favorite robotic funnyman.

As for what he could do, my guy literally comes from a fighting game, just pull his moves from there. And as for his appeal, it'd be neat to see a character from one of Nintendo's earlier fighting game experiments here, and Sukapon is simply a funky dude who radiates friend energy.

Also, again, he's a Japanese stand-up comedian robot, so his taunts would be glorious

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
OK.

I did the post about Takamaru, but that wasn't my real submission, as someone had already beat me to it.

Now dis

Dis is the real deal

My ACTUAL Retro Character Submission: Sukapon from Joy Mech Fight

View attachment 309261
Pictured: Sukapon asserting his dominance

Sukapon is the best Nintendo character of all time and protagonist of the revolutionary 1993 classic Joy Mech Fight.

Sukapon is an owarai (term for Japanese stand-up comedian) robot created by two inventors: Dr. Little Emon and Dr. Ivan Walnuts. One day, Dr. Walnuts suddenly declares his intention to rule the world and takes most of their robots with him, and in a last-ditch effort to stop him, Emon reworks Sukapon into a fighting robot. After a lotta fights, a final battle on the moon and a sudden change of heart by Walnuts, Sukapon returns happily ever after to his time as the world's favorite robotic funnyman.

As for what he could do, my guy literally comes from a fighting game, just pull his moves from there. And as for his appeal, it'd be neat to see a character from one of Nintendo's earlier fighting game experiments here, and Sukapon is simply a funky dude who radiates friend energy.

Also, again, he's a Japanese stand-up comedian robot, so his taunts would be glorious
I was hoping you'd submit him

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Me and Ramen are fine with the Captain N submission, as Nintendo does seem to own him (though we'll have to do some more research on that it seems) and he's definitely associated with retro videogames and Nintendo in general. Though as he's not a video-game character himself, we'll just have to wait for Venus' judgement on him. But I think he passes.

Also no worries, lol. Submissions like these are inevitable anyways and it's best to deal with them sooner than later.

Also, Virtual Boy is A-Okay. R.O.B. is in, so why the hell not.

Last edited:

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Note: I am indeed aware that Takamaru has already been submitted by someone else while I was working on this. However, I busted my ass making this post, and I don't want to let that effort go to waste, so while I think Taka should be counted as the other guy's submission, consider this to simply be a more thorough explanation of his appeal. Have a good one, and I might put out my own submission after this.

Alright boys: it's time I try to force this man in once more. I submitted him for our very first job all the way back in December, and I could just bring my OG post in here: but nah. This guy is my most-wanted first-party, and in the running for maybe being my most wanted character period. I gotta go big. I gotta do my dude justice. I gotta make his appeal as clear as possible.

With that in mind....

Retro Submission except nah because someone else submitted him since then but also I don't wanna trash all the effort I put into this: Takamaru from The Mysterious Murasame Castle
View attachment 309239
Takamaru is the protagonist of The Mysterious Murasame Castle, an action game released for the Famicom Disk System in the magical year of 1986. Takamaru is an apprentice samurai tasked to fight his way through all kinds of ninjas and yokai and whatnot to investigate the titular Murasame Castle: a big ****ing castle whose famous statue has been possessed by an otherworldly force, and save Edo Japan.

With me so far? Good. Y'all probably knew this, tbh: it's the tip of the Murasame Castle iceberg.

TMMC is notable for how it repurposes the Zelda 1 engine into a different style of game altogether: the two games might seem similar at a first glance, but while Zelda 1 is more focused on puzzles and exploration and finding all the secrets, in Murasame Castle....you fight for your goddamn life. Enemies out the wazoo, ready to throw all kinds of wacky **** at you, and reaction time is crucial as you've got to always be on the lookout, dodging everything and upgrading your attacks. It's nuts, and some people have even taken to considering it a predecessor to the "stylish action" games of today.

But back to that similarity in engines, as it perfectly segues into...
Now then, Murasame Castle ain't some random game plucked from Nintendo's NES library for the sake of it. It's not on the same level as....****in....Barker Bill's Trick Shooting. Nah, man - despite its status as a one-off, it's got history. It's got value.

Here's a little history lesson that, in all honesty, isn't that unknown, but whatever, it's important for context regardless: Murasame Castle is part of a set of games developed by two in-house divisions of Nintendo in '86, for the first year of their big new console: the Famicom Disk System, which was essentially an upgraded Famicom under a different format. These 4 big games were all brand new IPs: TMMC, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid and Kid Icarus. Worth noting that Metroid and Kid Icarus also share an engine in the same way as Zelda and Murasame Castle.

And so they went, being ported to the NES as well, and finding success both in the East and overseas-wait what do you mean Murasame Castle didn't get localized

This was the biggest oof that could have ever oofed, to be honest. While I don't think the reasoning has ever been officially stated, it's safe to assume the reason for it staying in the East was either its difficulty or its distinctly Japanese flair. Which you know what, honestly, both of these are fair from the perspective of an 80s NoA marketing guy.

So, what happened to these big 4 of the FDS' release year? Well, Zelda and Metroid went on to become successful entries in Nintendo's IP library, and the other two were left to rot.

20 years later, and Kid Icarus was given another chance. There was also the Game Boy game, which in all fairness might as well not have happened so whatever, my point still stands either way: Pit was suddenly revived through Smash. And as a result of this, the series itself eventually got revived through Kid Icarus: Uprising, which proved to revitalize the series in a really good way and bring in a whole new audience.

Of these 4, Murasame Castle is the only one that still hasn't gotten that love, that chance at being fleshed out. Which sucks - I sincerely believe that it's a setting that could be easily reintroduced and gain a bigger following.

OK so there's also the Sakurai consideration things, but everyone knows about that, so let's skip that over and go to another big thing here. Murasame Castle isn't just this weird little bit of Nintendo history to ooh and aah at, it's a legitimately fondly remembered game - it's treated as a classic in Japan and often pops up in lists of "hidden gem" NES games in the West. Nintendo themselves keep giving it nods in all kinds of games, and both Hideki Kamiya and Suda 51 - two highly-respected Japanese game devs - have expressed interest in bringing it back. The way I see it, Murasame Castle is more or less in a similar situation to Kid Icarus before Brawl: a classic game that, by all means, seemed like it was set to become one of Nintendo's bigguns, but simply didn't do so.

So a fondly-remembered game from the old days of Nintendo, set to be a big release, developed by one of the big in-house teams of the time, consistently shouted-out by Nintendo to this day, has caught the attention of more than one acclaimed JP game dev, and something I almost forgot to mention: since 2014, it's not even JP-exclusive anymore.

**** man, I'd say all this is a really good case, but history isn't the only reason people like Takamaru...
The last reason Takamaru has caught so many people's attention is what he could bring to the table, because there's one very simple thing that would instantly differentiate him from the rest of the Smash cast: he's a samurai.

Strangely enough, the samurai is an archetype we....haven't really had in Smash yet. That "draw and sheathe" swordfighting style is one that still hasn't really gotten anyone, as far as I can recall, so right off the bat, Takamaru already stands out. But not only that, his game had a variety of power-ups that he could also employ here to spice up his moveset - he can throw out shuriken, knives and fireballs, he can turn invisible, he can even summon out lightning, this guy feels like he was made for Smash!

But he also brings something fresh to the table from an aesthetic standpoint. Takamaru would, not just through himself, but through the general setting he comes with, bring ancient Japanese culture stylings to the forefront - a Murasame Castle stage could be absolutely breathtaking if they reimagined it and really leaned on its base concept of a traditional Japanese castle that's being haunted by an alien presence.

So! As I said, someone else has already submitted Takamaru, and I think that when voting hours come, he should be credited to them, but I was already working hard on this, and I didn't want to waste that hard work, so instead I decided to repurpose this into a simple case for him. Takamaru is a character I'm really passionate about, and I'd argue you could see him as a genuinely noteworthy Nintendo protagonist, so I hope that I made it clear why people like him. And props to Yiptap Yiptap for beating me to submitting him, you crazy son of a *****
Good job. Good freaking job. This is literally my post, but better. I think it would be unfair for it to be ignored. If possible, then I would like my Takamaru submission to be counted as both my AND @speedweed’s submission. It’s only fair, in my opinion.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I get why people want Takamaru in smash as he does a good legacy,, can anyone get me up to speed on what makes Sukapon so popular, I'm no game historian I just want to know who exactly is the story behind the legacy of what makes Sukapon such a big deal

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I get why people want Takamaru in smash as he does a good legacy,, can anyone get me up to speed on what makes Sukapon so popular, I'm no game historian I just want to know who exactly is the story behind the legacy of what makes Sukapon such a big deal
sukapon literally invented videogames

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I thought you said that about Amingo...
From what I gathered Sukapon was from a nintendo made fighting game for the Famicom and since he is a traditional fighting game character made by nintendo o guess that's why people want in smash, I just thought he was a deep cut in ultimate to fill the roster of totally weird choices like Nikki and Arcade Bunny

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Elaborate please, I believe his debut game came out in '93
ok so like before joy mech fight came out there was literally nothing

like everything was just a black void

but then god decided it would be very funny if joy mech fight brought about the beginning of mankind

so joy mech fight happened

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
ok so like before joy mech fight came out there was literally nothing

like everything was just a black void

but then god decided it would be very funny if joy mech fight brought about the beginning of mankind

so joy mech fight happened
I'm just saying their are characters I get people want in smash and characters that I dont get, but it's pretty subjective

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sukapon's game was Nintendo's first real fighting game, I think it was created in response to Street Fighter 2's success. And at the time, it was the fighting game with the biggest roster, thanks to the unique floating limbs design of every character which allowed more characters to be stored in the game files. This record held on for 5 years and was only defeated by KoF 98 (an SNK arcade game) so Joy Mech Fight is kind of a technical marvel.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Job 81:

Starman - NES Pro Wrestling

Starman is the most recognizable character from the iconic NES Pro Wrestling title. I imagine him with a solid lucha libre moveset, which would differentiate him from Incineroar who has a simular gimmick. Star Man would rely a lot on his moveset from the game, with his strengths coming from both aerials and a little bit of grappling, much like how the IRL Lucha Libre style works.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Job #81
Muddy Mole (Mole Mania)

Father of 7 and super-strong guy, Muddy Mole is relatively well known in the Nintendo fandom (at least compared to say, Uniracers or Tin Star) and has a devoted cult following. He's strong, solves puzzles, and is tiny which could make him an interesting combination of a heavyweight and technical fighter with a small frame. Muddy would be a representative for puzzle games, something that has very little representstion in Smash, especially outside of the falling block subgenre. His obscurity could encourage fans to seek out Mole Mania and possibly garner support for a sequel. The Game Boy has very little representation in Smash, and Muddy would be a perfect way to represent it given that Mole Mania is often regarded as one of the best games the Game Boy has to offer.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Since y'all have submitted Mach Rider and Ayumi already, I'm free to do this. If you thought Sukapon was a weird pick, brace yourselves.

Retro Character
Cubivore
Cubivore.png

Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest is an action game released for the GameCube in 2002, well under our 15-year cutoff. The game takes place in a world inhabited by the titular Cubivores, wild geometric creatures whose bodies are composed of a cubical head and one to six rectangular flaps referred to as "Limbs", though they can act as torsos, legs, wings, or tails depending on their position on the body.

Cubivore is a combat-focused game where you have 150 "mutations" you can play as, each connecting your Limbs to your head (and each other) in different ways that make for vastly different body shapes and animations. The color of your Limbs determines what Mutation you play as, which you get by eating enemies . Your primary attacks in all forms, however, remain the same. You wait for an opening in the enemy's attack pattern, stun the enemy, bite down hard, and tear its Limbs off.

While obviously not replicable in Smash, this brutal and feral edge to the game could lend itself well to a standout, animalistic fighter, and the mutations could lead to some unique animations that make use of a Cubivore's unique anatomy.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Job 81: Excitebiker

Excitebiker debuted in the game Excitebike on the Famicom in 1984, and the NES the following year. He's really cool, and he's a retro Nintendo rep!
Or is he?
In 2009, Nintendo released Excitebike: World Rally-an extremely average sequel to the original NES title, available as a digital-only Wii title that I never knew existed until doing my research. Excitebots released that year as well, but has never seen an international release. If we don't count those two, then the last Excite game was Excite Truck in 2006 on the Wii.
So, World Rally means he's not a retro rep, right?
In my mind, no. He's still a retro character, just like how DK Jr. is still a retro character despite DK series games being made to this day. No one is going to tell you "No, Excitebike isn't retro, it had a really forgettable WiiWare title 11 years ago!"
What can he do in Smash?
Uh, fight on a motorcycle? That's unique, and it's pretty ****in' based. He also could have his ride transform into the Excite Truck or an Excitebot for some moves.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
This contest is basically an arms races to make the weirdest fighter possible, I'm still behind my Virtual Boy as the most out their choice, my second choice was to have Pitfall Harry in smash

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
This contest is basically an arms races to make the weirdest fighter possible, I'm still behind my Virtual Boy as the most out their choice, my second choice was to have Pitfall Harry in smash
Nah, that would have happened if my WTF character won. Still planning on pushing that again whenever I get the chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom