• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Job 81: Foreman Spike

Foreman Spike is the main antagonist of Wrecking Crew, one of the few black box NES games to still be remembered despite not getting a fighter in Smash. It is also deemed important enough to have a series symbol, when it easily could've been put under the Mario umbrella. This would also mean Foreman Spike wouldn't really need a homestage.

as for moveset, we could use his hammer for melee sttacks, as well as elements from his games like barrels and bricks, even other construction tools like a jackhammer could be used.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Job 81: Porky Means Business

6ceba07670826892ec294834083a1467.png

It's King P himself from the Mother/EarthBound series. EarthBound hasn't received a game since 2006 and that was the infamous Mother 3 which was never localized outside of Japan. Since then, Mother 1 had been localized elsewhere as EarthBound: Beginnings but merely because there was a translation that they made years ago before determining the game was not worth selling. However, Mother 3's state remains quite in limbo and the series overall has remained dormant as a solid trilogy with no sequels or remakes in sight. Could Porky in Smash revitalize interest to revive the beautiful series?

Porky's big gameplay schtick is that he'd primarily reside in his mech. He has two games to pull from as well as his boss fight in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I'd imagine he'd have a lot of armour around the bottom of his mech, similar to Bowser Jr. And let's not forget his childish personality that's so punchable you gotta love him.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Well, that's not going to be very interesting. Among all the fighters decided so far; Octoling, Stylist, and Barista are the only ones created after 2006 anyway.
The term "Retro" changes the more time passes (sadly). Keep in mind that none of the characters in Infinite that we've included so far would fit in the prompt, as they're all from series that have seen new entries in the past 15 years. If we were to bump this number up to 20 then a lot of series that we consider "Retro" now would not be applicable (such as the already submitted Mother Series).

We think this is the best way to spice things up, because let's be real, there's not gonna be much competition if we only take NES games into account here honestly. Though on the contrary, I can heavily assure you that the most popular picks for this prompt will be one of the NES characters.

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Fighter: Black Shadow (F-Zero)

F-Zero has not seen a new franchise game since the early 2000’s, which is unfortunate, as the franchise also created Captain Falcon. There are quite a bit of F-Zero reps to choose from. Samurai Goroh, Jody Summer, Pico, Bio-Rex, the list goes on and on.

But the character I’m choosing is Black Shadow, one of the villains of this game. For his moveset, many would think he would use Ganondorf’s old moveset. But I personally like to see him use his horns to ram opponents. Of course Captain Falcon can be used as a base for him as well, but overall, a second F-Zero Rep is long overdue.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
And I thought I was towing the line with Jr... I think of Retro as N64 and earlier, these characters feel really weird calling Retro, but they fit the new definition.
It definitely has to do a lot with age. For example I'm in my early 20s so a series like EarthBound which had a big online cult peak around the time I was a kid feels really nostalgic to me. I'm humorously imagining the thought of 20 years from know, Kid Icarus: Uprising will be seen as a retro gem as the game STILL won't have a sequel ahahaha.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
It definitely has to do a lot with age. For example I'm in my early 20s so a series like EarthBound which had a big online cult peak around the time I was a kid feels really nostalgic to me. I'm humorously imagining the thought of 20 years from know, Kid Icarus: Uprising will be seen as a retro gem as the game STILL won't have a sequel ahahaha.
I'm a teenager. It's ****ed up to me that games that are younger than me are retro.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
View attachment 309209Wii Vitality Sensor (Wii)
Class: Legend
Type: Support Grab
Effect: Lifesteal, 3 Slots
  • Puppet Fighter: Kirby (Grey)
  • Stage: Wii Fit Studio
  • Music Track: Fever
  • Match: HP (100)
  • Conditions: The enemy loves to grab, The enemy favors neutral B
View attachment 3092103DS Circle Pad Pro (3DS)
Class: Ace
Type: Primary Shield, 1 Slot
Effect: Back Shield Equipped
  • Puppet Fighter: Mr. Game & Watch (Default)
  • Stage: PictoChat 2
  • Music Track: 3DS Eshop Theme
  • Match: Stock (1)
  • Conditions: The enemy loves to shield
View attachment 309215Nintendo Switch Screen Protector (Nintendo Switch)
Type: Support Shield
Effect: Super Armor, 3 Slots
  • Puppet Fighter: Palutena (White)
  • Stage: Venom
  • Music Track: Pokemon Center
  • Match: HP (200)
  • Conditions: The enemy favors Down B, The enemy loves to run away
brother, you forgot one

3ds-joystick-removebg-preview.png
3DS XL Cyber Arcade Stick (3DS)
Type: Primary Shield, 3 Slots
Effect: Back Shield Equipped
  • Enhance the 3DS Circle Pad Pro Spirit

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I have a special entry for this category

Job No. 81 Virtual Boy

Virtual Boy is RED-dy to Smash

Franchise: Virtual Boy

Originating: 1995

The Virtual Boy was a "handheld" console realsed in 1994 after the delay of the N64, however as you may know it failed with only roughly a dozen games and discontinued a year later in 1995

However over time the Virtual Boy gained an ironic loving by the gaming community and I among others believe it be alongside the likes of ROB and Game and Watch as a peripheral based character

Virtual Boy has many possible moveset potential, he could be a good zoning fighter, he could reference the other terrible video game peripherals of old like the power glove or U force, or rely on lasers and whatnot

Some ideas for a moveset: (note you dont need to use it, it's just an example of what I picture the VB to use, that is a compnation of VB references, the use of game peripherals and zoning tactics)

Side Smash: First it's a power glove punch then a teloboxer punch

Up Smash: Use the U Force to create a beam of phycic energy

Down Smash: Use a giant n64 joystick and spin it like a razor (based on the n64 joystick controversy)

He grabs with his ultra hand and holds you in his lens like how you play the virtual boy

His pummel it a shock of red energy to the eyes
(Note I also though of a gimmick where shots to the faces with his red light attacks cause your controls to go backwards)

His forward throw he uses the controller cord like a lasso

His up throw is him flailing his stand for rapid kicks

His down throw would cause a 3d terramino to crush you burying you

His neutral special uses the game boy camera to blind and stun the opponents, its weak but it leaves them very open

His side special causes him to latch on the opponent and use his red laser beams to the face, it can also be charged but it makes it easier for the fighter to shake off

His side special uses the Rolling Rocker and acts similarly to bowser jrs side special

His up special has him use the the game boy printer to make a big peice of paper to launch him upward, it also pushes fighters and can be manipulated

His final smash is him using a red portal on a fighter and has them being overwhelmed by red lasers until they explode

This is my rough moveset for vitual boy if he gets into smash, is it interesting

Plus his spirits could be based on other video game consoles and peripherals
He could also have a good amount of potential fighter personalities like a meek and slightly nervous person given a chance or a terrifying mechanical abomination seen below

I mean with this video you already have a trailer

So come on give Virtual Boy a chance

Possible Alts

Famicom white and red
SNES gray and purple
Gameboy green and black
GBA Purple
Camo
Navy Blue
Pink
Ivory White

I even made a simple classic mode

Color me Impressed
Each fighter is based off the color of a rainbow
(Based on the infamous black and red color sceme)
Red Mario
Orange Crash
Yellow Pikachu and Pichu
Green Bowser and Krool
Blue Sonic and Mega Man
Purple Galleon
Black and White: Galeem and Dharkon

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I have a special entry for this category

Job No. 81 Virtual Boy

The Virtual Boy was a "handheld" console realsed in 1994 after the delay of the N64, however as you may know it failed

However over time the Virtual Boy gained an ironic loving by the gaming community and I among others believe it be alongside the likes of ROB and Game and Watch as a peripheral based character

Virtual Boy has many possible moveset potential, he could be a good zoning fighter, he could reference the other terrible video game peripherals of old like the power glove or U force, or rely on lasers and whatnot

He could also have a good amount of potential personalities like a meek person given a chance or a terrifying mechanical abomination

So come on give Virtual Boy a chnace
It will come with a stage that gives everyone eye strains... speaking of which, did we ever do a poll to give ROB a Gyromite stage or something?

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
1617115373969.png

Retro Newcomer: Sheriff

One of Nintendo's earlier arcade releases, sheriff had you taking down a hoarde of bandits in order to rescue a kidnapee.

Here in Smash, Sherriff would be a gunslinger, I'd imagine him being able to aim it in several directions like the original game. Due the source material being simple otherwise, I'd expect a lot of improvision otherwise, maybe some general cowboy-esque moves or even pulling stuff from other early nintendo arcade games. I'd assume he'd also would get a brand new design to fit modern day ala pit in brawl. Unless we wanna go his original sprite of course, that's fine too.

I'm selecting Sheriff cuz I wanted to go for something that'd represent Nintendo's super early pre-donkey kong arcade releases. Plus with him debuting in 1979, he'd surpass Game & Watch as the oldest character on the roster, and it'd be cool to have a character from the 70's for once

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Job 81: Porky Means Business

View attachment 309238

It's King P himself from the Mother/EarthBound series. EarthBound hasn't received a game since 2006 and that was the infamous Mother 3 which was never localized outside of Japan. Since then, Mother 1 had been localized elsewhere as EarthBound: Beginnings but merely because there was a translation that they made years ago before determining the game was not worth selling. However, Mother 3's state remains quite in limbo and the series overall has remained dormant as a solid trilogy with no sequels or remakes in sight. Could Porky in Smash revitalize interest to revive the beautiful series?

Porky's big gameplay schtick is that he'd primarily reside in his mech. He has two games to pull from as well as his boss fight in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I'd imagine he'd have a lot of armour around the bottom of his mech, similar to Bowser Jr. And let's not forget his childish personality that's so punchable you gotta love him.
Didnt Mother 3 come out in 2006

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I thought 2006 was the last year I could pick a game from so I went with it. They're allowing Famicom Detective Club which is getting a new remake because it has a strong retro identity. Besides if there's a problem with it, I have another retro idea I had second to Porky.
I'm not a moderator, it was just something I wanted to point out, We all have different definitions of what is retro and I'm not trying to shoot down your choice, in my definition retro is when a character didnt have a major apperance entry since 2000, outside of ports or remasters, characters like earthworm Jim for example

You cans still do Porky if you want, im just telling you the reason I made that comment

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Job 81: Donkey Kong Jr.
View attachment 309237
While the Donkey Kong Country series might be alive, the original arcade trilogy is far from it. DK Jr. made his first appearance in 1983's game by the same name, and aside from a role in the Game Boy Remake/Sequel to the original and a handful of spinoffs, he's been pretty much missing from the series ever since.

Junior's moveset could involve many of the traps from the original trilogy. This involves the barrels and fire from the original, fruit and vines from 2, and... something from 3, nobody cares about that one. He could be one of the most unique on the roster, playing nothing like his... son? Donkey Kong lore is weird.
DK Jr. just appeared in Mario Kart Tour.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Cameos (outside of their home series) are generally considered to be fine.

I'm not a moderator, it was just something I wanted to point out, We all have different definitions of what is retro and I'm not trying to shoot down your choice, in my definition retro is when a character didnt have a major apperance entry since 2000, outside of ports or remasters, characters like earthworm Jim for example

You cans still do Porky if you want, im just telling you the reason I made that comment
Smashing Ramen's original submission defines Retro as a character whose game hasn't had a new entry for around 15 years or more. Mother 3 is fine.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 81

Ayumi Tachibana

A major character from Famicom detective club, she was considered for Melee but eventually cut. The remake came out everywhere but since the games are so heavily tied to the Famicom era, she is Retro character in spirit.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Job 81

Ayumi Tachibana

A major character from Famicom detective club, she was considered for Melee but eventually cut. The remake came out everywhere but since the games are so heavily tied to the Famicom era, she is Retro character in spirit.

(If this is considered cheating I have a second idea.)
They said Famicom Detective Club was allowed due to its retro legacy or something.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
They said Famicom Detective Club was allowed due to its retro legacy or something.
I read that, but because it was mentioned in the initial job post I thought it might be off limits or something like that. Dumb reason for that disclaimer I know.

I just overthink things way too much lol.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Job 81

Ayumi Tachibana

Ayumi'a A-okay

Any character with a general retro legacy about them even if they have slightly recent releases is fine. I'd say Ayumi firs the bill.

A lot of these are gonna be pretty subjective so at this point, is say just submit any character you'd think is retro and we'll review em on a case by case basis

Sorry this was so specific y'all. I wanted to lay some groundworks but seems to have only muddled things up lol

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I have a question that I wanted to ask since Virtual Boy was nominated. While I know we agreed that 4th party characters shouldn't be added, would it be alright to make an exception for characters owned by Nintendo? I have a more unorthodox idea, but I wanted to make sure first before going through with it.

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
Job #81: Lip
1617118279959.png

Hailing from the nintendo cult classic series Panel de Pon, Lip has managed to stay in the public conscience, despite being a largely Japanese exclusive series until recently. In case you missed it, Panel de Pon was added to NSO in both all regions, despite no translation being provided, showing that nintendo still values this IP and wants to expand its reach. Lip also made an appearance as a central character in the Wii game Captain Rainbow. Furthermore, a Lip Costume can be unlocked in Animal Crossing New Leaf as well as a filtered down Panel de Pon minigame.

Panel de Pon has a strong presence in Smash itself as well. Lip's Stick has been an item since Melee, and one of Kirby's stone transformations being has been of Lip's blocks from Melee forward. Lip's theme has been present since Brawl as well, and she also made an appearance as a sticker in Brawl, and a spirit and Mii Costume in Ultimate. Sakurai has even gone as far as calling her game a masterpiece and recommending it to anyone interested.

Lip would be the first Puzzle game rep (Dr. Mario is a platformer rep in a doctor's coat), and would also be the first standalone female retro rep (Nana technically precedes her as the first female rep). Panel de Pon also has lots of spirit potential, which not many retro series can claim to have. The music potential is also pretty banging.

Her moveset could consist of a puzzle mechanic, matching blocks and sending garbage at the opponent, and using fairy magic from her wand, making her quite a unique fighter. Lip could even utilize the Flower mechanic in some of her moves, making her a fighter you want to kill quick before she racks up damage on you, just like in her home series.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I have a question that I wanted to ask since Virtual Boy was nominated. While I know we agreed that 4th party characters shouldn't be added, would it be alright to make an exception for characters owned by Nintendo? I have a more unorthodox idea, but I wanted to make sure first before going through with it.
Wouldn't a character owned by Nintendo be... you know, 1st party?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Job 81

Ayumi Tachibana

Breath in

Breath out

I was literally just typing up her submission as soon as you posted that god dangit

Ah well, I can still contribute from the sidelines. Here's a couple more points regarding Ayumi that I think are worth keeping in mind.
  • Technically speaking, she's not the main character. Still, she was the one considered for Smash and was the sole representative in both Melee and Ultimate, so I think it's safe to assume she's considered the face of the game.
  • Ayumi was actually considered as far back as Ultimate, as seen here:

I think it was from Hobo Nichi interview. The company Shigesato Itoi made.
    Sakurai is saying he wanted a female character to in but they couldn't find anyone, then the PR officer from Nintendo says that the girl from FDC was in consideration. Iwata asks, what was her specials? PR guy, "show a photo". LOL (everyone)
    The interviewer is Yasuhiro Nagata from Hobo Nichi (former chief editor of Famitsu).
    This gives her some extra legacy when it comes to Smash, being the only character to be considered as far back as Smash 64 and not becoming a fighter later on (Bowser, Dedede, Mewtwo, and Marth were also considered, but they actually made the cut in Melee and Brawl).

So yeah. Think these are something worth remembering for when we start voting.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Note: I am indeed aware that Takamaru has already been submitted by someone else while I was working on this. However, I busted my ass making this post, and I don't want to let that effort go to waste, so while I think Taka should be counted as the other guy's submission, consider this to simply be a more thorough explanation of his appeal. Have a good one, and I might put out my own submission after this.

Alright boys: it's time I try to force this man in once more. I submitted him for our very first job all the way back in December, and I could just bring my OG post in here: but nah. This guy is my most-wanted first-party, and in the running for maybe being my most wanted character period. I gotta go big. I gotta do my dude justice. I gotta make his appeal as clear as possible.

With that in mind....

Retro Submission except nah because someone else submitted him since then but also I don't wanna trash all the effort I put into this: Takamaru from The Mysterious Murasame Castle
murasame_castle.png

Takamaru is the protagonist of The Mysterious Murasame Castle, an action game released for the Famicom Disk System in the magical year of 1986. Takamaru is an apprentice samurai tasked to fight his way through all kinds of ninjas and yokai and whatnot to investigate the titular Murasame Castle: a big ****ing castle whose famous statue has been possessed by an otherworldly force, and save Edo Japan.

With me so far? Good. Y'all probably knew this, tbh: it's the tip of the Murasame Castle iceberg.

TMMC is notable for how it repurposes the Zelda 1 engine into a different style of game altogether: the two games might seem similar at a first glance, but while Zelda 1 is more focused on puzzles and exploration and finding all the secrets, in Murasame Castle....you fight for your goddamn life. Enemies out the wazoo, ready to throw all kinds of wacky **** at you, and reaction time is crucial as you've got to always be on the lookout, dodging everything and upgrading your attacks. It's nuts, and some people have even taken to considering it a predecessor to the "stylish action" games of today.

But back to that similarity in engines, as it perfectly segues into...
Now then, Murasame Castle ain't some random game plucked from Nintendo's NES library for the sake of it. It's not on the same level as....****in....Barker Bill's Trick Shooting. Nah, man - despite its status as a one-off, it's got history. It's got value.

Here's a little history lesson that, in all honesty, isn't that unknown, but whatever, it's important for context regardless: Murasame Castle is part of a set of games developed by two in-house divisions of Nintendo in '86, for the first year of their big new console: the Famicom Disk System, which was essentially an upgraded Famicom under a different format. These 4 big games were all brand new IPs: TMMC, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid and Kid Icarus. Worth noting that Metroid and Kid Icarus also share an engine in the same way as Zelda and Murasame Castle.

And so they went, being ported to the NES as well, and finding success both in the East and overseas-wait what do you mean Murasame Castle didn't get localized

This was the biggest oof that could have ever oofed, to be honest. While I don't think the reasoning has ever been officially stated, it's safe to assume the reason for it staying in the East was either its difficulty or its distinctly Japanese flair. Which you know what, honestly, both of these are fair from the perspective of an 80s NoA marketing guy.

So, what happened to these big 4 of the FDS' release year? Well, Zelda and Metroid went on to become successful entries in Nintendo's IP library, and the other two were left to rot.

20 years later, and Kid Icarus was given another chance. There was also the Game Boy game, which in all fairness might as well not have happened so whatever, my point still stands either way: Pit was suddenly revived through Smash. And as a result of this, the series itself eventually got revived through Kid Icarus: Uprising, which proved to revitalize the series in a really good way and bring in a whole new audience.

Of these 4, Murasame Castle is the only one that still hasn't gotten that love, that chance at being fleshed out. Which sucks - I sincerely believe that it's a setting that could be easily reintroduced and gain a bigger following.

OK so there's also the Sakurai consideration things, but everyone knows about that, so let's skip that over and go to another big thing here. Murasame Castle isn't just this weird little bit of Nintendo history to ooh and aah at, it's a legitimately fondly remembered game - it's treated as a classic in Japan and often pops up in lists of "hidden gem" NES games in the West. Nintendo themselves keep giving it nods in all kinds of games, and both Hideki Kamiya and Suda 51 - two highly-respected Japanese game devs - have expressed interest in bringing it back. The way I see it, Murasame Castle is more or less in a similar situation to Kid Icarus before Brawl: a classic game that, by all means, seemed like it was set to become one of Nintendo's bigguns, but simply didn't do so.

So a fondly-remembered game from the old days of Nintendo, set to be a big release, developed by one of the big in-house teams of the time, consistently shouted-out by Nintendo to this day, has caught the attention of more than one acclaimed JP game dev, and something I almost forgot to mention: since 2014, it's not even JP-exclusive anymore.

**** man, I'd say all this is a really good case, but history isn't the only reason people like Takamaru...
The last reason Takamaru has caught so many people's attention is what he could bring to the table, because there's one very simple thing that would instantly differentiate him from the rest of the Smash cast: he's a samurai.

Strangely enough, the samurai is an archetype we....haven't really had in Smash yet. That "draw and sheathe" swordfighting style is one that still hasn't really gotten anyone, as far as I can recall, so right off the bat, Takamaru already stands out. But not only that, his game had a variety of power-ups that he could also employ here to spice up his moveset - he can throw out shuriken, knives and fireballs, he can turn invisible, he can even summon out lightning, this guy feels like he was made for Smash!

But he also brings something fresh to the table from an aesthetic standpoint. Takamaru would, not just through himself, but through the general setting he comes with, bring ancient Japanese culture stylings to the forefront - a Murasame Castle stage could be absolutely breathtaking if they reimagined it and really leaned on its base concept of a traditional Japanese castle that's being haunted by an alien presence.

So! As I said, someone else has already submitted Takamaru, and I think that when voting hours come, he should be credited to them, but I was already working hard on this, and I didn't want to waste that hard work, so instead I decided to repurpose this into a simple case for him. Takamaru is a character I'm really passionate about, and I'd argue you could see him as a genuinely noteworthy Nintendo protagonist, so I hope that I made it clear why people like him. And props to Yiptap Yiptap for beating me to submitting him, you crazy son of a *****

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I meant as in a character who hasn't been in a video game.

If it helps discussion any, I was thinking of Captain N.
A character that didn't originate from a video game, i.e. a licensed character.

That's the definition of a fourth party character straight from wikipeidia

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Job 81

Mach Rider

Mach Rider - 8chanmania

Many people might know him/her from the Grinch Leak, Mach Rider hails from the NES title with the same name. Mach Rider would be on his/her vehicle most of the time like Bowser Jr., reflecting his/her gameplay as from a racing game. He/she would be able to deploy obstacles like oil drums and enemies to slip up his/her opponents.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
A character that didn't originate from a video game, i.e. a licensed character.

That's the definition of a fourth party character straight from wikipeidia
I know that, but apparently he is, in fact, owned by Nintendo. A lot of the licensing is a bit of a mess (especially the comics), but supposedly the original characters are with Nintendo.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I know that, but apparently he is, in fact, owned by Nintendo. A lot of the licensing is a bit of a mess (especially the comics), but supposedly the original characters are with Nintendo.
Yes, but you should look him up just in case

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I read a Game FAQ poll a few years ago and out of 78 votes only 28 percent said he would be eligable for smash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom