• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UIUC Thread

slomo431

Smash Ace
i hear pensions not so hot right now either

there are like 4 actuarial majors from uiuc on the boards.

is darkrain still an actuary?

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Yes, I think darkrain works for Blue Cross/Shield in Texas.

Health care? I especially love the part where people with preexisting conditions will be able to buy insurance to pay for treating those conditions, which is not insurance at all. Somehow a public option to cover the people the private companies don't want is a bad idea, but forcing private companies to insure people they don't want is a good idea.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
Health care? I especially love the part where people with preexisting conditions will be able to buy insurance to pay for treating those conditions, which is not insurance at all. Somehow a public option to cover the people the private companies don't want is a bad idea, but forcing private companies to insure people they don't want is a good idea.
I meant I'm thinking about changing majors because of Obama care. Do you think it will effect the profession?

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I don't think the bill as it is now will have much of an effect on the need for actuaries, and they're probably going to have to water it down even more to pass it. The attempt to cover more people, anyway, will probably increase the need for actuaries if anything.

I would think a public health program would have increased the need for actuaries in the short term. It might then decrease the need in the long term as the government crowds out private insurers... or so we are told by the right. Anyway, we can see the public option isn't happening.

So the answer is no. I would visit some actuarial forums and get opinions from people who actually know some things, but that's my take.

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
No no no no no no no no no. **** all you stupid-math *******s. Anyway, you might as well change the title of the thread to remove "UIUC" at this point. That way I would be the creator of the actuarial thread, which to me, would be hilarious.

I'm still surprised at the number of actuarial smashers.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Jon, why did you change the thread title?!?

It should be "Physics" rather than "Physicist." I'll fix it.

Of course, since physics people don't post in this thread, the title's going to have to be changed back pretty soon.

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
eh... thought the crowd was rude

they shoulda just left hungrybox alone

there's my thoughts on pound4

DQing m2k was dumb, oh well

anyone want to play this week?
preferably sat

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
They should send one of their own into the future to kill the future person who's sabotaging their project.

Sounds like a movie idea!

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
Yo have you been keeping up with CERN?? That stuff is getting ridiculous! A physicist is certain that someone from the future is sabotaging their experiments.
And other physicists think it's just groundless conjecture. On a related note the LHC was running and collided at around 2 TeV late last year. They actually don't run during the winter because energy is more expensive in Europe then, but they had to get something this year because the investors were pissed.

flipkid

Smash Apprentice
And other physicists think it's just groundless conjecture. On a related note the LHC was running and collided at around 2 TeV late last year. They actually don't run during the winter because energy is more expensive in Europe then, but they had to get something this year because the investors were pissed.
i dont think they quite got to 2 did they? never heard about the time travel stuff..

I interviewed at fermi today and they seemed pretty determined to compete.. they were talking about cutting their safety factors down from 3-4 to .. and he trailed off... thats actually pretty scary..

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I might come by tonight.

I loved that crime report too. "The victim defended against the punch,
striking the offender in the area of the right jaw. The offender then
ran away in a southwest direction."

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
I might come by tonight.

I loved that crime report too. "The victim defended against the punch,
striking the offender in the area of the right jaw. The offender then
ran away in a southwest direction."
theres ur tuition at work lolololol

Just curious Andy, where are you originally from?

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
he's from grandpania

lol at the crime alert

eric brickman was seen leaving the crime scene with a slightly swollen right hand and a very large grin

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
How originally? I'm "from" Champaign and I lived in NJ as a young one (it was a long time ago).

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
Why do they call the bosson the god particle?
(I'm assuming you mean the Higgs boson) Because popular science writers like to make things sound way more important than they really are, even when that thing is crazy important already. It sells magazines. Basically, one of the big fundamental questions in physics is "What is mass?" The Higgs is supposed to be a particle that gives other particles their mass. It's not confirmed to exist yet and it would be about as interesting for it to exist as to not exist. If it doesn't exist, we can throw out a bunch of theories.

i dont think they quite got to 2 did they? never heard about the time travel stuff..

I interviewed at fermi today and they seemed pretty determined to compete.. they were talking about cutting their safety factors down from 3-4 to .. and he trailed off... thats actually pretty scary..
That's what the wikipedia page says at least! Some of my friends talk about the details sometimes, but I don't really listen because I'm not really in the field. I like the results, but not necessarily some of the minor details.

Fermilab is interesting. I don't what is going to happen with it. I think they are going to change the focus of their experiments to other particles? I keep hearing different things about it, none of which I can remember right now. It's late.

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
what would have to happen for them to conclude it doesn't exist
Basically, in order to find the higgs, they need to collide with higher and higher energies. Once the energy is greater than or equal to the energy of the higgs, it should start appearing in the data. The theory has an upper bound to the energy of the higgs (there are some different numbers running around, but there is a strict upper bound at least) and if we still don't see the higgs at that energy or above, that would be evidence that it doesn't exist.

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
freakin universe

1 8 7 7 kars for kids K A R S kars for kids 1 8 7 7 kars for kids donate your kar today

lol do they have this commercial down south?

flipkid

Smash Apprentice
(I'm assuming you mean the Higgs boson) Because popular science writers like to make things sound way more important than they really are, even when that thing is crazy important already. It sells magazines. Basically, one of the big fundamental questions in physics is "What is mass?" The Higgs is supposed to be a particle that gives other particles their mass. It's not confirmed to exist yet and it would be about as interesting for it to exist as to not exist. If it doesn't exist, we can throw out a bunch of theories.

That's what the wikipedia page says at least! Some of my friends talk about the details sometimes, but I don't really listen because I'm not really in the field. I like the results, but not necessarily some of the minor details.

Fermilab is interesting. I don't what is going to happen with it. I think they are going to change the focus of their experiments to other particles? I keep hearing different things about it, none of which I can remember right now. It's late.
their engineering dept still thinks theyre looking for the higgs at least... then again he also said they still had the record proton beam energy but he quoted in gev, where cern's at 1.18 tev... so yeah who knows... scaling down safety factors to compete with a bigger linac's ********..

oh well it's pretty far out of my field too but it's still interesting... pound 4 was epic..

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
John and Matt, I owe each of you 10 bucks

also I should be free Thurs night or any time Friday or any time Sat

so let's play : D

finally a break from projects after thurs

also I'm gonna put a down payment on space we rented

Top Bottom