• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UIUC Thread

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I'll get there whenever I finish that test, and I'll probably have to leave around 530 or so.

slomo431

Smash Ace
when are you champaign kids from the suburbs gonna be back home? ray's hosting a tournament at the college of dreams on saturday. yes, that ray.

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
me and tom get back friday but we probably wont want to go to a tournament right when we get home

that and i have bad memories of CoD from both times Ive been there....kochiha or whatever his name is

slomo431

Smash Ace
those were bad memories? that was one of the most hilarious things ever

"What makes you think you're worthy of my respect?!??! I'M NOT GOING ANYWHERE WITH YOU. RAAAWRRRRRRRR"
*tackles his one armed father

ok the money being stolen wasn't cool but i never win money anyway. all i ever win are trophies, breakfast burritos, and ABSOLUTELY AMAZING 2GB THUMB DRIVES THAT WERE THE BEST THUMB DRIVES EVER AND A FITTING PRIZE FOR A TEAM THAT COULD SO THOROUGHLY DEFEAT THE TWINS THAT WEREN'T SANDBAGGING AT ALL EVER

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Alejandro, you'd better be coming. Mateo (and Tomas?) will get tired of playing with only me after about 10 minutes.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
You punk.

Dunno how long I'll be staying if it's just me, but I'd still like to pop by. I have nothing to do between the end of that test and dinnertime.

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
i said i was still going!

and i didnt force you to play. brickman called me seeming like he wanted crack. All I said was i can play

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
wow congrats 1 stock in 8 minutes

this guy on youtube got it right:

This is Brawl, play to win. If it means you gotta play like a complete a55hole and avoid fighting your opponent at all costs, then do it. If you don't like it, play Melee. That's what I'M doing anyway.

lol, f*&k Brawl

TheStig

Smash Lord
how come the top players in brawl don't even play that way? did ally and m2k camp in the finals, no. plank didn't even do that great in the tournament because those tactics don't work against people who know what they are doing

brawl's already been out for a year and i thought people were over this kind of stuff. people should stop *****ing about which game is better and just play the one they enjoy. no one is forcing you to play either game.

gameandwatch 4 Lyfe

Smash Journeyman
lack of skill forces me to play brawl.
we all know which is really the better game dustin... also those tactics do work against people who know what they're doing. if i played like that against you guys you would never win. ever. i've done it and it works.
brawl is fun but there are some really dumb/abusable/gay tactics that ruin the competitive/fun aspects of the game. there is a reason that every time i pick mk BC refuses to play me, or you switch to mk as well. the reason is: brawl is dumb and it sucks. it sucked a year ago and it sucks today.
when people dont abuse gay **** its a great game, but when they do.... well, just watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4jYJ-Yjf3w

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
They don't work against people who are good on a regional level. People who, you know, go to tournaments outside of their own town and win cash money.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
If you can beat big names by playing totally gay, more power to you. But I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Ray Chun

Smash Apprentice
well, some of the ally vs m2k matches were like 6 minutes long, so even if there wasn't camping the game drags out. i kinda hoped brawl would go to 2 stock by now. brawl has too many problems for tournament level play, too many things that are ban-worthy and uber-gay. but considering that competitive play wasn't intended, it's not that bad of a game.

it kind of makes melee look even better and more of a fluke--nintendo got soo lucky with how melee turned out. it's pretty solid for serious tournament players.

gameandwatch 4 Lyfe

Smash Journeyman
there are a lot of great elements of brawl, but all the greatness is overshadowed by gayness. the way we play here is pretty fast-paced and sort of exciting... but at large scale tournaments its very campy. matches drag out close to 8 minutes and it isnt very fun at all. brawl is a very defensive game. too defensive for its own good.

actually i take that back. the way we play is usually very gay. i banana camp, BC runs away and air camps constantly, dustin uses IC's infinites, ftl... well, lol.

TheStig

Smash Lord
lack of skill forces me to play brawl.
we all know which is really the better game dustin...
You should ask which aspect of the game is better. This is not like Street Fighter where nearly everything stays the same and they add new characters and graphics. You can’t really compare the two directly because they are so different in terms of stages, characters, features, battle engines, and mentality. Brawl is far from perfect game, but melee is not perfect either. I enjoy playing both though.

also those tactics do work against people who know what they're doing. if i played like that against you guys you would never win. ever. i've done it and it works.
brawl is fun but there are some really dumb/abusable/gay tactics that ruin the competitive/fun aspects of the game. there is a reason that every time i pick mk BC refuses to play me, or you switch to mk as well.
Those ghey tactics do not work on top players. If those did work, then some scrub that we’ve never heard of would use mk and win a regional or national tournament. That just doesn’t happen. Sure plank could beat some people by planking or air camping. The fact is, top players can get around that and most don’t use those tactics to win. This is what separates good and great players. It doesn’t matter if those work on us because we suck. I only use mk on you in friendlies to show that I can beat you with your main. I never use him in tournaments though. There are ghey tactics in many different competitions and sports. For instance, in Ultimate Fighting Championships, I’ve seen two fighters stand there and do nothing for several rounds except wait for the other person to move. These don’t only occur in brawl.

couphtherearealsogheytacticsinmeleehaveyoueverseenspamthosorwhateverhisnameisorthevideoofforwardvsisaiinthecrewbattleonyoutubewherethereopponentsjustspammedlaserandcampedwithfalcofortheentirematchcouph

the reason is: brawl is dumb and it sucks. it sucked a year ago and it sucks today.
Seriously, if you aren’t having fun with this game, then stop. You are doing neither yourself nor others any favors by playing. My overall point is that people should stop nit picking other people’s games and just play their game. This nit picking has caused a rift between the two communities, which is a shame to be honest (…or three communities for the five people who still play Smash 64).

Why can't we be like Ken?:)

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
You guys should settle this with a fistgith.

Yes, that's what came out when I tried to type "fistfight." I left it to show everyone how dumb I am. I'm getting too old for this internets thing.

gameandwatch 4 Lyfe

Smash Journeyman
there's a reason so many brawl players are going back to melee... even ally said he might quit brawl to play melee. fiction quit, edrees quit. there is a reason for this... not only scrubs who hate gay stuff are quitting, but top players on a NATIONAL level
i like brawl alot. but competitively it isnt that great. i think it is important for all brawl players to understand that this game sucks.
i've made some friends playing brawl, and i've made some money playing brawl. this is why i like it and why i continue to play it. plus im pretty good at it.

also, andy i found an old interview with you in it... i think it had something to do with smym or something
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCS5C3UkmMI

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
i think it is important for all brawl players to understand that this game sucks.
Not really. They can make that decision for themselves.

The competitive Bwarl community isn't in any particular danger of disappearing as long as there's money in it. If the best people quit, money will be easier to get and semi-best people will be more encouraged to play.

also, andy i found an old interview with you in it... i think it had something to do with smym or something
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCS5C3UkmMI
Wow, I can't believe I was ever that young!

TheStig

Smash Lord
chudat, neo, dire vulcan, wes, dsf, m2k, hugs, and other top players still play brawl

there's a reason so many brawl players are going back to melee... i think it is important for all brawl players to understand that this game sucks.
the competitive community is not dying

facts:

Grand Totals:
Number of tournaments: 572
Number of entrants: 21,500
Average Attendance per tournament: 37.585
Singles Entrance Fee Total: $198,355.30
Estimated Total Prize Money (singles X 1.8): $$357,039
Estimated Total Entrance Fee (singles X 2.2): $436,381.70
Per day entrance fee average: $1,380
Per day tournament average: 1.8

if you are only playing brawl for the money then its not worth it, unless you are as consistent as m2k. you can make more money working at mcdonalds then smashing.

Andy, what's a fistgith?

Top Bottom