• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UIUC Thread

Battlecow

Play to Win
I can do it this afternoon.

If you were talking to me as well as dew.

Which you probably weren't.

Battlecow

Play to Win
What about 64?

All the cool kids play 64.

The cool kids being me and Firo and Crazycoaster and Fynal and Miyagi and maybe Dew Rag.

coastercrazy10

Smash Rookie
Haha yes, 64 is awesome. Tried Melee and Brawl but I always come back to 64.

I guess I didn't even realize this thread existed and should probably introduce myself somewhat. I'm a Junior in CS, I main dougie fresh, and I dabble in Ness when I'm messing around because he's fun. Got a house in champaign for next year. Lived in Allen Hall the past two years and played smash casually with all the people there but the only people who were better than me were too busy to learn from so yeah, hopefully getting my butt kicked by Battlecow, Firo and co. will help me get better.

I had no idea so many guys played in the Chambana area but I'd definitely be up for some friendlies with anybody in the area!

-Ben

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
melee anytime this weekend. should have gone to ann arbor this weekend for the triweeklies. not much work...

just got a capture card on ebay for $15. should be here in a week.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I saw your facebook post and checked out the trailer. Looks cool. Too bad it's not coming out 'til next year.

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
andy you said you applied online and then looked in the directory for someone to call?

what kind of titles did you look for as far as who you were going to call? actuarial manager?

slomo431

Smash Ace
Andy, you've been working for several months now right? Sick of vlookups, pivot tables, and indexes yet?

Matt have you thought about working with a recruiter? I'm not sure how useful they are for people looking for their first jobs, Actuarial Outpost seems to have mixed feelings about it, but I'm working with DW Simpson in my search.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Matt: Oh, I didn't call anyone, I emailed. I think many people would be annoyed by a call. I mixed up my strategy a bit but towards the end I was mostly looking for some kind of manager/director/AVP/whatever. I generally did not go with a Chief Actuary or VP, and I didn't concentrate so much on people without titles. Looking at my old job search file, I got a response rate of about 25% on those, and more of them probably sent my resume on or took it into consideration without responding to me.

Henrik: You know what I hate? SOA modules. Pivottables are kind of annoying--I'm creating a new automated procedure to do monthly reports and I had to use them for one part, and it was a pain getting the formatting to come out right. It still messes up a little.
But vlookups are my friend. Indexes I don't think I've ever used.
I spoke with DWSimpson once, and then I never heard back from them. When the entry-level candidate pool is flooded, I don't think there's much need for recruiters.

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
ok so you email them and say like OK i applied for this job do you have any questions...that sort of thing?

i don't remember if i ever tried a recruiter or not but I don't think it would help for entry level people...plus i've already priced myself out of most jobs by having 5 exams w/o experience

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I have applied for this job/I am interested in a job if one is available; I have applied online but I also wanted to contact the department; I have passed these exams; I have done this interesting thing with my life; I would be eager to move to the whatever area...

I didn't make it too long.

But so are you doing something now? You have to work or volunteer or do something, or they'll think you're a lazy bum.

slomo431

Smash Ace
On the SOA website, volunteering just seems to mean being on a committee. If you find out anything else when you call them though let me know, I might be interested too.

Are you basically done taking exams for now since you don't know if you'll be going for CAS or SOA?

Battlecow

Play to Win
Anyone wanna smash this weekend?

Me and a townie bro are probably gonna host some kind of smashfest Saturday or Sunday afternoon/evening

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yo dew rag or anyone else who might read this

I'm going to a 64 tourney on the 20th and I desperately need some time in the hyperbolic time chamber for console 64. My normal crewmembers are all out of town until the 13th-14th, so if anyone plays 64...

Top Bottom