• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UIUC Thread

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
congrats on law school matt! Now you can spend the rest of your undergrad f'ing around and playing melee..

Hope everyone's having a good spring break. I'll try to get a local tourney going before the end of semester.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
congrats on law school matt! Now you can spend the rest of your undergrad f'ing around and playing melee..

Hope everyone's having a good spring break. I'll try to get a local tourney going before the end of semester.
You... have that kind of power, kevin? Wow, that would be great. Hopefully some big names will come as well.

Also, congratulations, matt!

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
nah just trying to get you guys to play more competitively and get some non-falcon practice. I'm in talks with Indiana and Purdue to try and get a tournament series going so we can have some inter-collegiate rivalry to up the ante :)

Only thing is that I gotta find a cheaper venue for tournaments smaller than SMYM. 10$ venue fee is too much for locals, and i probably still wouldn't be able to break even if McKinley is my only option. If any of you guys know of a suitable venue that's significantly cheaper than $300 (how much SMYM's venue was), let me know.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
nah just trying to get you guys to play more competitively and get some non-falcon practice. I'm in talks with Indiana and Purdue to try and get a tournament series going so we can have some inter-collegiate rivalry to up the ante :)
This... is a totally brilliant idea. If you and/or Jack need any help, I'd be more than willing to do my part.

As for the venue problems, I can't say I know of anything. My best bet would be maybe if you know somebody with a house? Or maybe a large apartment (if we're talking a very small tourney)? Possibly a frat house (Bibi...)?

sirlaser

Smash Journeyman
Only thing is that I gotta find a cheaper venue for tournaments smaller than SMYM. 10$ venue fee is too much for locals, and i probably still wouldn't be able to break even if McKinley is my only option. If any of you guys know of a suitable venue that's significantly cheaper than $300 (how much SMYM's venue was), let me know.
How many people are you expecting for these tournaments, Kevin?

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
I was talking about renth, his least favorite haha. Trolling big time.

And i definitely agree that we should show up to their tournaments. Other than the fact that theyll show to ours, its just a good way to get out there. Id be down for sure, wouldnt mind splitting the cost of gas and whatnot.

sirlaser

Smash Journeyman
I think the Union is a really high profile venue, so the rent is probably quite expensive. Maybe a classroom in one of the less used buildings on campus?
Triangle Fraternity can probably provide space for a local tournament of no more than 20 ppl, btw.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
alright thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll look into the union when i return, but Bibi is probably right. Lemme know if you think of any others.

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
you can always just reserve one of the rooms in the dorms for free. cough looking at people living in dorms... cough... FAR has really nice basement rooms.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
yo ppv wanna work on CS 173 sunday and then play some smash? This is dependent on me finishing my cs 225 mp checkpoint before that though.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Just got into Uchi with really good money, so I'm prolly not sticking around next year =/

Gonna MISS YOU GUYS

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
Just got into Uchi with really good money, so I'm prolly not sticking around next year =/

Gonna MISS YOU GUYS
Congrats Charlie! I can't give you any meaningful reasons to choose UIUC over Chicago given your apparent lack of interest in engineering. Only thing is the melee scene there is a bit weak (No idea about 64 scene, but I think UIUC has way faster internet if you're in Siebel Center or DCL or something). I kinda styled on all of them last time we were at a tournament together :) But seriously, congratulations. It's a great school, and I think it's a good fit for you. We've still got a few months to smash together, and perhaps the UIUC scene will still see Battlecow during the breaks. And surely for SMYM 14 and other Chicago-area shindigs.

Oh yeah, watch out for those hipster chicks. They'll **** you mad hard. Figuratively and literally.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yeah I'll for sure be at whatever chicago stuff you guys care to come to and at future SMYM's. Not to mention the rest of this year.

Hipster chicks scare the **** out of me.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
When we're on break, the majority of us will be in chicago. When you're on break, you'll be in champaign. The irony.

Are you ever gonna see us, Charlie?!?!?! (you damn well better).

And if for some reason our breaks are not synched up, ill hit you up for smash anytime and I hope you do the same for us. Either way, congratulations dude, that school is mad hard to get into. If you decide to go pre-med, you may end up interning for my mom at the hospital there lmao.

tbhuang2

Smash Apprentice
Congrats charlie! U of Chicago, that's awesome :)

Also, thanks for the link Joe. I can't commit just yet, but if I can go to the Purdue one, I will be able to drive.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
i gots no car, but purdue on the 14th would be a good tournament for us to go to. It's one of the closest (1.5 hrs) and their scene has a wide range of skill levels.

btw i'm really busy until after tuesday next week (4/3), so i won't be able to host smash on friday and probably won't show up to smashfests until after that date.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
Yo just got a PM from lance of purdue. Our first intercollegiate smash tournament would be that purdue one on the 14th, but I need you guys to confirm so we can get the whole thing in motion. The more guys we get to go to their events, the better our chances of success when we run our own locals, so just keep that in mind when you're thinking of all those silly johns.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I think I count as U of I. Uni High's, like, connected. Anyways y'all should sneak me in so we can beat those purdue *******s.

I have prom on the 13th tho so I'm gonna be tired as ****.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
lol we don't need to sneak you in, it's still a tournament that other ppl go to. It's more about crew affiliation than academic anyway, so you count as one of us, at least in my book.

Fun fact: I skipped my junior prom to play brawl and melee with my buddies. That was back when we all thought brawl only looked boring because the metagame was still developing and people hadn't discovered fancy tech skill for the game yet.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
kevin: bet you were disappointed when it turned out to STAY sh*tty. Either way, I know for a fact that I got nothing, absolutely nothing, that weekend, so no johns for me. I wanna get our name out there for a variety of reasons, especially the one you said: they will repay us the favor.

Also, for those of you in the chicago area: may 26th, there is a tourney in glen ellyn hosted by sveet. I've talked to him a bit and he's a pretty cool guy, I say we should all try to go. Kevin, if you even wanted to come out from Jersey, I could house you no problemo.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
kevin: bet you were disappointed when it turned out to STAY sh*tty. Either way, I know for a fact that I got nothing, absolutely nothing, that weekend, so no johns for me. I wanna get our name out there for a variety of reasons, especially the one you said: they will repay us the favor.

Also, for those of you in the chicago area: may 26th, there is a tourney in glen ellyn hosted by sveet. I've talked to him a bit and he's a pretty cool guy, I say we should all try to go. Kevin, if you even wanted to come out from Jersey, I could house you no problemo.
lol if i'm in jersey that weekend, I'm gonna have to go with Zenith: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=318068&page=4

went last year and it was ****ing sick. kage and axe went HAM in doubles.

i've spoken to sveet a few times, and i've been to a few of his tournaments before. He's a cool guy.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
If kage will be there, then I may have to go up there for zenith. And if linguini's there, then I'm there for sure, no question. He's the dude that got me to pick up a controller 4 months ago and i constantly bombard his ganon thread haha.

But if nothing else, I would love to meet the regulars in the chicago melee scene, supposedly the scene is mad good at the moment and i need to make up for like 5 years of not playing (I really wish I started playing earlier than this year).

tbhuang2

Smash Apprentice
i'd say i'm 80% sure i can go. just need to make sure i have no gf johns or friends visiting johns. oh and as a reminder, i have a car!

Top Bottom