• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UIUC Thread

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
Wow, those are both awesome. I think the first one would be better suited for our aims. The second one is a little too busy and it's easy to miss the words. I could see us using both frankly. Naked Snake = hilarious.

So we've got at least 8 people going including drivers, should we decide how that splits up then? We don't want any confusion about who's supposed to drive who.

Eric, since you're gonna be late, are you gonna drive yourself? Is someone gonna hang back and drive you?

slomo431

Smash Ace
I could ride in someone else's car if we don't have enough people. You don't want too few in your cars for a drive such as this, otherwise you might get bored.

brickman

Smash Lord
Durand, outrageously good job, I can't thank you enough for making them.

I like the first one more because it is a little easier to read, and pretty clean and neat.

Regarding MSOP driving, I will be driving myself as I will be coming late.

Durand- bring a couple copies of both, and lets start blanketing places with them, because they are awesome, and so are you for making them.

See you all tomorrow as planed at 3pm.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
The only thing is, neither flier specifies a day or date.

What exactly is the purpose again? Are we trying to get a big crowd for just one smashfest (I hope) or are we trying to bump up our regular attendance (please no)? Last time we discussed this I mentioned how if lots of people show up many of them won't even bring trollers, much less setups! I don't think we want them taking up valuable setup time each and every week.

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
uh... so what do u want me to do?

r we setting up a tourny? if so i'll change the info and whatnot on it
if not... didn't we want flyers to get people into the club anyways?
have a n00bfest learning session?

or....?

slomo431

Smash Ace
If only we could charge them entrance fees. Don't we have the ability to do some sort of fundraising tourney?

brickman

Smash Lord
Haha, I don't know how many people will come if we are charging them fees?

And by fund raiser, do you mean raising funds for us???

I think we should have a weekend where we can get a whole bunch of new people to come, and everyone brings a set up or something, and we just let them see what they think.

Obviously, they will have to bring their own controllers, which should be something on the flier

"BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER"

Anything more than that if they have information, they will probably send me an email which I will relay to you guys for your opinion on things.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I hate for such cool fliers to go to waste, but why do we even want more people??? I hate it when we're playing and some doofus shows up and asks to squeeze in.

slomo431

Smash Ace
I like playing the doofi, it makes me feel as if my fox is worth something.

brickman

Smash Lord
I think we should create a novice and experienced levels. I mean they can play, and sometimes they will play against each other if they want to, but there has to be a period in which they are going to need to be ranked. I want to help them get better, I want them to have tons of information to look at and to get better from it. I wish I had someone give me all the information I have been compiling and writing about sheik.

Anyways, I think it is going to be a necessary, potentially frustrating, period of time when these people are learning, eventually they wont disrupt us, until they are beating our ass? The question mark is so we can see *** for some reason. haha.

brickman

Smash Lord
sorry for double post, but is anyone going to bring a cube and or another set up, lemme know.

Henrik, you can park in our lot, it is a gravel/dirt lot but there should be space enough for another car.

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
i am bringing a cube

i happy u guys like the fliers

if we don't end up using them now
maybe for the future smym? if that will ever happen
or for some tourny in some distant future

um...
maybe we should actually make the club? come to informational meeting for smashing illini for people that like to play smash
and from there we can explain the byoc and set up classes for money for the club? eh?
cept i dunno how many people would come
and how cheap the classes will be
and where and when someone is willing to commit to teaching these people

maybe same thing as weston? cept go to a different corner with like a tv or two and teach n00bs how to play lol iunno

brickman

Smash Lord
haha yea, I'm willing to provide tons of information to people and such, but I can only really teach 1 character!

I'm sure someone would be willing to teach their character to others.

I just figure these people who are starting off could be as good or better than us by years end. I know I started out as completely terrible, and now I'm just mediocre!

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
we could set up days for one person to teach the basics like wavedashing, short hop, etc

then set up days to teach specific char
and people can sign up to learn those specific char

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty technical and I wouldn't mind teaching people. I actually like to do it. And for specific characters, we cover a pretty wide range of characters (by 'we' I mean Tom and Matt).

I think the flyers should either be used to advertise teaching sessions or tournaments. Preferably tournaments because those don't have a lot of space for words.

brickman

Smash Lord
If only!

Hey, I am coming late on Saturday, but I would like to get some friendlies in while everyone is doing doubles.

let it be so!

-Q-

Smash Cadet
um...nobody in their right mind is going to pay for classes on a video game. I don't know why you wouldn't just do it for free, if somebody is willing to learn how to play the game then just have some fun with em while playing. Sell cookies or something to make money.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Too bad you won't make it, Durand.
I think it would help to actually see the flier. I hate leetspeak, so I would avoid the first one you gave us.

Alright, so who's going to MSOP??

Matt
Tom
Alex
Andy
Eric
Dave O
Jon
Henrik

Anyone else??
I plan to come, but I'll be needing a ride.

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
who is variola?

hey if there's just a fee of 5 dollars
i think it's fine, just as long as you never have to pay again, you know kinda like a membership thing =_=
but whatever, we can hold tournies to make money too

wd is the first step to everything : )

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
who is variola?

hey if there's just a fee of 5 dollars
i think it's fine, just as long as you never have to pay again, you know kinda like a membership thing =_=
but whatever, we can hold tournies to make money too

wd is the first step to everything : )
My name's Joey, and I live at Townsend 134. I've been to the last couple of Weston friendlies, and I'm looking to improve my Smash game.

brickman

Smash Lord
Best of luck, joey. MSOP is going to be a tough place to start out, but you should get some good experience. If anything you will get an idea of how good some of the people are.

As for people to pay to learn, I kind of shy away from the idea, I like favors more!

We will just have to deal with "payment" on a person to person basis.

Q, what is your name? and can you make cookies for the 27th!

k thanks! lol

see guys in 2 hours, for huge smash!

_marth1_

Smash Lord
this is matt

durand: joey(variola) was the person that we played with downstairs in weston last thursday

lessons would be fun to do but no one is going to pay for them like Q said

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
I have been to two tournaments in the past few years at the University of Rhode Island, but they were more of a learning experience than looking to win.

May I come at 3, Brickman?

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
WHOA wait. This may sound odd considering that I'm going into secondary education, but teaching people to play sounds like a nightmare to me. If this is something that has to happen during the smashfests, let's start bringing more setups and let's make sure we have a few of them devoted to people who are good.

I admire the thought of teaching noobs, but I am way too old and grumpy to participate in it.

Oh yeah, and I'll be there at 3. I hope we don't need a third setup, cuz I don't think anyone's bringing one.

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
hrm... hopefully henrik will bring his tv =_=

wow, didn't know u were going to secondary edu, cuz that's where i want to go into
but yes we should try to get this more organized and more consistent

BIG C

Smash Master
id accept money for training sum1 especially if they weren't like a friend. if it was a friend i'd do it for free but just some random person hell yea id accept $ but then again i am unemployed.

flipkid

Smash Apprentice
actually guys i think alot of people are missing the point.. we should be interested in raising money for the club, teaching might be an idea... but what better way to learn than to play against someone better?

I'm thinking something that would get more people out would be to throw an official smashfest...maybe with a teaching bent... so we could rent a room, provide pop and pizza etc for a fee... if we played it right we could make a decent amount of money every week that we could put towards a bigger tourney say at the end of the semester or twice a semester or whatever..

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Exchange of money is really tricky when you're trying to rent university rooms, by which I mean that they don't let you do it. I don't know what the exact rules are, but of course cash prizes are not allowed.

I can drive to MSOP, by the way. I'm a good driver, too, so anyone who's with me will not die. Getting a ride from Henrik is a different story, from what I hear.

Today Eric told me that this was him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHTdGH_DLjo
Wow, he had no idea what he was doing!! Let's all point and laugh!

Top Bottom