• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UIUC Thread

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Uhm, I'm working on a group project at 1. If doubles takes long enough, I might come by for singles.

Ray Chun

Smash Apprentice
anyone going to event 52? i just found a ride.

i went to the last one, which was probably the best tourny experience combined with the worst drive ever. seriously, the best venue i've been to.

slomo431

Smash Ace
nope my exam is tomorrow at 830 am and i still have like 100 pages left in my manual to get through. also i haven't done any practice exams. and i just read through the solutions of the exercises at the end of each chapter cause i didn't have time to do it. so...i'm ****ed.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
nope my exam is tomorrow at 830 am and i still have like 100 pages left in my manual to get through. also i haven't done any practice exams. and i just read through the solutions of the exercises at the end of each chapter cause i didn't have time to do it. so...i'm ****ed.
If you pass, I hate you so much.

Not to wish you bad luck or anything, but as much studying as I've done for P and FM...

Don't people say 300 hours? I do plenty of studying, but nothing like that.

slomo431

Smash Ace
i'm figuring i'm not gonna pass this exam. but i'm feeling good about next week when i retake mfe that should be pretty straightforward unless the exam is ridiculous.

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
hahah yeah it has a pretty random turnout.

i mean trail doesnt go to **** anymore but he comes to this??
maybe he thinks he can win....

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
DURAND CHO

You have 333 posts. That's lucky 3s.

Don't post ever again with that user name. Also, making alternate accounts is discouraged and frowned upon, so you should just never post again. It's a shame that it has to be this way, but it's for the greater good.

Oh, actually, I guess you can still post in the social room. But that's it!

slomo431

Smash Ace
CAS only exams are pretty ****in weird. First of all every possible answer is a range of values instead of single ones. Also, the wording is never really all that precise like the SOA is, so a lot of times you have to guess what some questions mean although you pretty much just go with whatever fits the most common problems of that nature. Actually I might like that more. The fact that there's ranges instead of choices based on the values you'd get with common mistakes makes CAS questions a little less tricky. Plus since they're always so vague they don't try to catch you on some minor detail like the SOA is always doing. I like that you can have your scratch work and exam book mailed to you if you bring a SASE because that makes so much sense I hate how the SOA feels they have to hide what was on exams CAS releases every single one.

Also, 3L has like almost no life contingencies and the stuff that was there was basic formula manipulation and they weren't even the obscure formulas.

I'm not gonna jinx myself like I did last November but either way I'm definitely more pleased coming out of that exam than I was coming into it. I probably could've destroyed it if I had actually gone through my whole manual and done a few practice probs. Man I really wasted a lot of time studying life contingencies.

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
hhhaah

i always say CAS....oh thats the Canadian Actuarial Society

so I dont like it

SOA is reallly dumb though I want to punch someone out whoever runs that thing

slomo431

Smash Ace
They're in Schaumburg so you could probably set fire to their whole shoddy operation

Also, are you leaning to Life now since you're going the SOA route?

slomo431

Smash Ace
http://www.dwsimpson.com/salary.html

Casualty actuaries typically get paid slightly more. Also consulting pays more than insurance, but insurance has much more normal hours. Consulting can get crazy, but you get well compensated for that extra work. Personally I like the fact that once 4:15 hits I don't have to think about anything anymore.

I forgot how MLC gives credit for 3L but 3L doesn't give credit for MLC. Yet another example of the SOA being a bunch of little *****es.

Edit: Also, I think 3L is easier than MLC. Probably due to the lesser emphasis on life contingencies. People on AO seem to agree. But if you can get MLC so much the better. It's good to keep your options open.

Top Bottom