• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uh...Why are you guys ****** fox and falco?

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Their recoveries already suck enough balls. You don't need to nerf them anymore by moving their hitboxes back. That's just denying them any hope of safely getting back onstage.

Your reasoning:

Cause Fox and Falco can camp everyone who isn't incredibly fast by just spamming lasers and then using the side-b to dash through. It will nerf recovery for sure, but that isn't the main point. Try and catch them with Ganondorf, Bowser, or the other heavies. Even Luigi has trouble with them. Bring it up in the backroom if you have a problem or whenever we can get that nightly out.
Well boo hoo! There's a reason that heavies are heavy. Because they're big fat and slow. You can't make every matchup 50:50, and it's ludicrous to make an already ****ty recovery even worse.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I'll try to flesh that reasoning out a bit better:

Let's use Falco as an example.

So you got into the match and you learn that this particular Falco will just SHDL and phantasm away.

Most of the time even if you predict, you have to shield and it's back to step one (aka would be neutral if it weren't for the fact that it's Falco, so it's now disadvantageous). If you try to dash to the middle of the stage you give Falco the chance to phantasm onto the lagless ledge. If you try to ledgehog, you risk putting yourself in a bad position by forcing Falco to be in a neutral position (middle of the stage; wtf ratio here doesn't make sense; you are at mid-risk/low or no reward)...

and you can't really do both (unless you're Ice Climbers...1/39 if the cast <_<).

What I'm trying to say is, spacies are beasts onstage, you can't deny this. You are Yes!, therefore you simply cannot. You know they are suppose to "suck balls" offstage. My various examples of how much leeway Falco is given when he is recovering (apparently a weakness btw) tells you how stupid his side-B currently is (in both vB and B+). He's suppose to sport a terribad recovery, he's suppose to be massively pressured when he gets offstage, but more often than not that's not the case.

Moving the hitbox behind them would make it like Melee (because you know phantasms are really only in one other game so I can't really say there's much else to compare). This would make it harder for them to recover, because they can be hit out of it more often, that is true.

However currently the move with that much speed and currently priority (it beats out Falcon's sweetspot knee) on characters that are suppose to sport "dumb as **** recoveries" doesn't make much sense.

Also imo you're really over-exaggerating how they can never make it back. Even in Melee offstage vs edgeguard kings (no puns) like Marth and Roy, you weren't doomed when it came to phantasming back.

If you're not entirely convinced, at least try it imo. A lot of stuff always looks either A. REALLY GOOD on paper, or B. REALLY BAD on paper. The best way is to just try it out yourself.

Well...whenever you get a chance anyway. ^^

*thumbs up?!* =D

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Remember side-b's autosnap in B+ unlike Melee. Combine that with the grab range they should be fine. It should be a minor recovery nerf at the cost of a MASSIVE nerf to their camping game.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
I'll try to flesh that reasoning out a bit better:

Let's use Falco as an example.

So you got into the match and you learn that this particular Falco will just SHDL and phantasm away.

Most of the time even if you predict, you have to shield and it's back to step one (aka would be neutral if it weren't for the fact that it's Falco, so it's now disadvantageous). If you try to dash to the middle of the stage you give Falco the chance to phantasm onto the lagless ledge. If you try to ledgehog, you risk putting yourself in a bad position by forcing Falco to be in a neutral position (middle of the stage; wtf ratio here doesn't make sense; you are at mid-risk/low or no reward)...

and you can't really do both (unless you're Ice Climbers...1/39 if the cast <_<).

What I'm trying to say is, spacies are beasts onstage, you can't deny this. You are Yes!, therefore you simply cannot. You know they are suppose to "suck balls" offstage. My various examples of how much leeway Falco is given when he is recovering (apparently a weakness btw) tells you how stupid his side-B currently is (in both vB and B+). He's suppose to sport a terribad recovery, he's suppose to be massively pressured when he gets offstage, but more often than not that's not the case.

Moving the hitbox behind them would make it like Melee (because you know phantasms are really only in one other game so I can't really say there's much else to compare). This would make it harder for them to recover, because they can be hit out of it more often, that is true.

However currently the move with that much speed and currently priority (it beats out Falcon's sweetspot knee) on characters that are suppose to sport "dumb as **** recoveries" doesn't make much sense.

Also imo you're really over-exaggerating how they can never make it back. Even in Melee offstage vs edgeguard kings (no puns) like Marth and Roy, you weren't doomed when it came to phantasming back.

If you're not entirely convinced, at least try it imo. A lot of stuff always looks either A. REALLY GOOD on paper, or B. REALLY BAD on paper. The best way is to just try it out yourself.

Well...whenever you get a chance anyway. ^^

*thumbs up?!* =D
Thumbs down. There recovery already sucks balls. There's no need to make it worse, and you guys shouldn't have to make it worse. Falco is supposed to be a campy character. He has a ****ing gun. What's he gonna do, pistol whip you?

Spacies are beast on stage because they're good characters. Offstage they have very few options.

Falco's recovery: Jump, sideb, and hopefully make it back. You can forget about recovering if you don't have a jump.

Fox's recovery: Jump + Fair, side b, and hopefully make it back.

That's it. That's all they can do. Knowing this, you can either edgehog or predict where there going to land which is VERY easy to do and proceed to **** them. Falco already "sports a bad recovery." You guys don't need to change it to make it even worse.

Firefox/bird has barely any priority as it is. Making their sideb suck is going to make them even worse. One of the esteemed wbr members, Blank Mauser, already thinks Fox isn't top tier, or even top ten, so why nerf?

In melee, they also got gimped to hell. If your spacies weren't being gimped by marths, then your opponents sucked. I've played good marths. They don't make mistakes, and if they got you offstage, you were dead.

It's really an unnecessary change.

Remember side-b's autosnap in B+ unlike Melee. Combine that with the grab range they should be fine. It should be a minor recovery nerf at the cost of a MASSIVE nerf to their camping game.
Characters who got camped deserved to be camped since they're slow/fat/heavy. If they catch fox/falco, fox/falco get severely punished. Most heavy's except ganon can catch them. Fox/falco mains shouldn't have to suffer ganon sucks balls and can't do so.

I promise to run out the clock in every tournament match to prove to you people that side b isn't the reason they camp so well.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I like you mention Falco is supposed to be a campy character, but when we told you one reason Marth is so good is campy you say he shouldn't be campy...

That being said, this is gonna become a circular argument really fast. Before we discuss this change further test the set yourself. We moved the hitbox back 2 units, that might be too much so we can try 1 if that is the case. In person testing is always better then these kinds of discussion. Open set 6/22. Here is the link to BR test sets:

http://shanemulliganphotography.blogsite.org:6111/~shane/BRset/

I support the test on paper because frankly Fox is probably too good right now and Falco ***** the heavies a little too hard. This change won't suddenly give heavies the advantage, but at least it will make it something with a remote chance to win. Hell, a campy Falco can avoid a decent half to two thirds of the cast.

Also, stop overreacting. There is a difference between ******, and giving them a nerf. The fact that you admit they are **** on the stage means you should see what we are trying to do here. All the '**** on stage characters' (Ivy, Olimar, and Link for example) have poor recoveries.

ZodiakLucien

Smash Ace
Well boo hoo! There's a reason that heavies are heavy. Because they're big fat and slow. You can't make every matchup 50:50, and it's ludicrous to make an already ****ty recovery even worse.
so a slow character should be an automatic loss to a falco on big stages? Thats absurd. Doesnt have to be 50:50 but the whole match shouldnt be in the complete hands of the falco completely dependent on whether he messes up. Nerfing the side B is just making it more reasonable moreso on stage. Plus I believe up B was going to be buffed with them to grant more DI after it. This would give them more options on recovering. Not everyone should have a good recovery anyway. To be edgeguarded you got to be off stage first. Marth also has a bad recovery.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
You think Fox and Falco's recoveries are bad, how about tether characters like Ivysaur and Olimar? Do you think they're better then Fox/Falco on stage either? In comparison to other characters this isn't even a crutch.

While I don't think phantasm is the main cause of their camping abilities, they really don't need to have as much advantage as they do against heavies. You say that heavies severely punish Fox/Falco when they catch them, but with Fox and Falco's combo ability its usually the opposite. Its really not so much an inherent nerf to their recovery as it is help for heavies, which have been known to be having problems since day 1.

If its really a big deal, would you rather we add lag to it? After all, if you predict it then you should be able to punish it right? Not being able to camp heavies across large stages would be the only loss.

While I didn't think Fox was top 10, that doesn't mean hes bad at all. Also, I'm hardly an esteemed member.

D

Deleted member

for whoever cares, 2 units is nothing. a chracter like fox is quickly 8-9 units high, and I don't know how far in front of them the hitboxes were, but this might not be noticable at all.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Okay guys, well I can't test it because I don't have a Wii, but I will prove to you that side b has nothing to do with camping just by timing everyone out I play in tournament with Fox.

shanus

Smash Hero
Okay guys, well I can't test it because I don't have a Wii, but I will prove to you that side b has nothing to do with camping just by timing everyone out I play in tournament with Fox.
You realize its only a slight shift in hitbox, correct?

You are way overreacting... like wayyyyy over reacting

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Last I checked, this is how it was in Melee and they were still both top tier. This nerf is hardly unwarranted or overreaching.

Chill out Yes!

Magus420

Smash Master
Moving the hitbox behind them would make it like Melee
for whoever cares, 2 units is nothing. a chracter like fox is quickly 8-9 units high, and I don't know how far in front of them the hitboxes were, but this might not be noticable at all.

I think it has a ways to go before approaching its Melee status xD

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yea they were like.... CRAZY easy to hit out of in melee lol. in brawl it is kind of... no.... very hard lol

it does almost make sense in a way, i just dont see why. was falco the best character? no. what about fox? i remember ppl discussing in the tier list thread a couple days ago that hes not even top 10. this should prove that the current overBs are not truly broken. they also arent spammed ridiculously.

however, i do think this could increase gameplay if handled right. we cant just nerf it and call it a day.

in foxes case:
as spammer showed the hitbox was FAR behind him in melee, however his upB was FAR superior than it is in brawl. perhaps we should consider extending his upB a little after moving the hitbox back

in falcos case:
even with the hitbox moved back, falco was even more of a beast on stage in melee, which is something we simply cant replicate with the changed utilt and shine mechanics. we can find a better medium with moving it back a little, and possibly extending the upB just a little, which is to help counteract that he will get hit out of his overB more often so he has a worthwhile 2nd attempt to recover. then if the opponent has the skill to follow up and hit the upB attempt (not hard lolol) it could b better

VietGeek

Smash Hero
LOL, spammer was trying to trick people into thinking he was Magus...but it went the other way. <.<

So what MAGUS is trying to say is that the current "nerf" isn't even comparable to the Melee phantasm anyway, right?

Also grr @ Magus's super clear and fluid gif animations of him ****** people in various ways to prove his point.

shanus

Smash Hero
right now a sweetspot knee can't knock falco out of his phantasm as a clear example lol

Also Chibo, have you had anyone just try and laser & phantasm camp you as Falco just for ****s? If you haven't tried it sometime, it's a good laugh. Most people forget that when they are playing B+ because they are sick of the dumb **** that was in Brawl. However, that doesn't mean gay strats don't exist.

edit: the current hitbox is actually behind them right now, but for some reason it seems that their hurtbox or something is back there too

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Basically it means that the hitbox is further delayed...but that really doesn't fix the problem or make them worse persay.

Apparently the hurtbox for the two needs to be expanded to cover their entire body instead of just the head portion (perhaps it currently covers even less than the head) if what shanus is reporting is correct.

So we can revert the hitbox back and now have to try to fix their hurtboxes...is there even a code for that? <_<

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
right now a sweetspot knee can't knock falco out of his phantasm as a clear example lol

Also Chibo, have you had anyone just try and laser & phantasm camp you as Falco just for ****s? If you haven't tried it sometime, it's a good laugh. Most people forget that when they are playing B+ because they are sick of the dumb **** that was in Brawl. However, that doesn't mean gay strats don't exist.

edit: the current hitbox is actually behind them right now, but for some reason it seems that their hurtbox or something is back there too
yes i have, and iv done it back to plenty of ppl

sure some chars have a bigger problem dealing with it over others, like heavies. but thats what they are. thats why there are matchup ratios. its impossible to make everything a straight 50 50 matchups. we just want to avoid any really **** matchups which this doesnt make. most stages prevent this technique from being overly abused (and u still have a ban *cough* for fd *cough*).

its rly not a problem with fox considering his lasers dont even do knockback. as for falco, he just doesnt have the speed and moves to execute it perfectly. have u ever seen a match where a good player has lost to a falco simple laser spamming and overB'ing? nope. hasnt happened. theres always around it. not to mention that you can still hit them out of their overB as it is.

im seeing that a lot of fixes in this game are becoming what a few ppl back here feel like doing to make it more enjoyable to themselves, and not doing what is only required for true balances. true balancing is done very slowly testing all possibilities. just a few frame change in something can change a lot. for instance, ROBs lag on upB is something like 8 or 10 frames (i forget, i have the data on my home comp), but if that was either negated or dropped to like 4 frames, that would make the MK matchup a lot easier for ROB. then in turn that could potentially make ROB a more popular character to use against MK who is used to hell in tourneys. then that increases ROB's popularity, which in turns brings up the use of his counters like DDD. The metagame can potentially change by removing a few frames on a move @_@

i dont like being death combo'd ending with a knee from falcon. make it weaker plz

shanus

Smash Hero
well its more along the lines of we are figuring out how the move works chibo.

I agree it isn't OP on fox, but when you test it and realize its better to guard phantasms facing backward, you kind of wonder wtf is going on

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I agree it isn't OP on fox, but when you test it and realize its better to guard phantasms facing backward, you kind of wonder wtf is going on
I think a lot of us can agree Fox isn't exactly the problem when it comes to this one change.

Also...

this is a new spin on REVERSAL BONUS.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
If fox isn't the problem then...why nerf him?

Also, Falcon's priority is balls, why do you keep bringing up a sweet spotted knee?

Ulevo

Smash Master
I forgot how hilarious all of you were. Reading all of this from a logical stand point is completely hysterical. You must try it sometime, for those of you who are capable. Don't mind me, I just came online to see if I had messages of any importance.

And just so I'm not wasting all of your valuable time, I'll contribute to the discussion. That sounds fair, hm? How about this.

Increase the end lag of the Fox Illusion, and the Phantasm, thereby avoiding excessive stage camping and retaining their recovery qualities.

Suddenly all this complex bickering seems rather meaningless doesn't it? Ah yes. Anyway, I'd best be going. Toodles!

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I forgot how hilarious all of you were. Reading all of this from a logical stand point is completely hysterical. You must try it sometime, for those of you who are capable. Don't mind me, I just came online to see if I had messages of any importance.

And just so I'm not wasting all of your valuable time, I'll contribute to the discussion. That sounds fair, hm? How about this.

Increase the end lag of the Fox Illusion, and the Phantasm, thereby avoiding excessive stage camping and retaining their recovery qualities.

Suddenly all this complex bickering seems rather meaningless doesn't it? Ah yes. Anyway, I'd best be going. Toodles!
I had the same idea yayy. Nice to see you again Ulevo, its too bad you can't stay.

yes i have, and iv done it back to plenty of ppl

sure some chars have a bigger problem dealing with it over others, like heavies. but thats what they are. thats why there are matchup ratios. its impossible to make everything a straight 50 50 matchups. we just want to avoid any really **** matchups which this doesnt make. most stages prevent this technique from being overly abused (and u still have a ban *cough* for fd *cough*).

its rly not a problem with fox considering his lasers dont even do knockback. as for falco, he just doesnt have the speed and moves to execute it perfectly. have u ever seen a match where a good player has lost to a falco simple laser spamming and overB'ing? nope. hasnt happened. theres always around it. not to mention that you can still hit them out of their overB as it is.

im seeing that a lot of fixes in this game are becoming what a few ppl back here feel like doing to make it more enjoyable to themselves, and not doing what is only required for true balances. true balancing is done very slowly testing all possibilities. just a few frame change in something can change a lot. for instance, ROBs lag on upB is something like 8 or 10 frames (i forget, i have the data on my home comp), but if that was either negated or dropped to like 4 frames, that would make the MK matchup a lot easier for ROB. then in turn that could potentially make ROB a more popular character to use against MK who is used to hell in tourneys. then that increases ROB's popularity, which in turns brings up the use of his counters like DDD. The metagame can potentially change by removing a few frames on a move @_@

i dont like being death combo'd ending with a knee from falcon. make it weaker plz

While the game does have true balance in mind, theres no denying we probably are going to take a few tangents to make the game more enjoyable. Its how the concept of Brawl+ started after all. Anyways, you could take the pessimistic outlook that while this isn't the most dominating issue with the matchup, it certainly can only help the heavies in regards to this particular strategy.

Also, its tough to say you don't see Falco's winning this way because heavies are still hardly a viable option against him and he doesn't need to camp to win. This is just another way to best fit the purpose of a move rather then an overall downgrade. If Falco's really can't camp with lasers and over-B anyways then this shouldn't be a big problem.

I still agree with Ulevo though, adding lag might be more ideal. Fox and Falco's recoveries not being the same as Melee's is just a trait of Brawl spacies we have to deal with, but it being a camp strategy against heavies is something it doesn't need to be.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I forgot how much a douche you were too. Sure was nice around here without your constant whining and babying. Why does he even have BR privileges? I thought we were removing useless members.
Whining and babying? Oh, you mean my contribution. Well of course it was nice with that absent, it was one less opinion for you to debate against. It's much easier to influence poor decisions when you have less people pointing out your idiocy. Hence why there is a lack of mutual and unanimous calls; it's easier that way for the select few.

You shouldn't be like that though, goodoldganon. I'm not entirely useless. I bring life here. See? You're already posting.

Revven

FrankerZ
I'd still like to see WHERE the hitbox is as opposed to just slapping lag onto both and calling it a day. Speaking of which, we probably can't do that right now anyway until the new engine codes are done... As for how to find where the hitboxes are, we'd have to shrink them to find out (and they wouldn't be permanent... JUST TO SEE where they are, plz don't flip out Yes!)

Because it would be pretty lame if the hitbox is actually masking Fox's/Falco's hurtboxes.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
*flips out* :laugh:

Nah that's fine. I just honestly think it'd be unfair to **** their recoveries. I can understand limiting camping but I never camp like that, and most falco's that have to rely on camping like that aren't that good. Sneak, for example, hates camping, and he's a great falco. I myself am pretty campy with Fox, but I don't use side b to escape a bad situation, so I only use it for recovery purposes.

D

Deleted member

I'd still like to see WHERE the hitbox is as opposed to just slapping lag onto both and calling it a day. Speaking of which, we probably can't do that right now anyway until the new engine codes are done... As for how to find where the hitboxes are, we'd have to shrink them to find out (and they wouldn't be permanent... JUST TO SEE where they are, plz don't flip out Yes!)

Because it would be pretty lame if the hitbox is actually masking Fox's/Falco's hurtboxes.
I can see the data to find the location of the hiboxes (roughly).

Revven

FrankerZ
Okay, PK just looked at both Fox and Falco, both Side Bs and said that Fox's is only SLIGHTLY smaller than Falco's. Here's a rough sketch of the area that Falco's hitbox covers (and yes, this includes the hitbox perhaps extending from off of his body):

Make of what you will but, IMO, that hitbox is little too huge for something so fast and would explain WHY everything known to man clanks with it.

Top Bottom