• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UC Merced Melee 04-21-12 Final Tournament

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
Most of them will probably be at the tournament since they live on campus, which is why I am hosting in the Den (maybe California Room if I get lucky).

I will need the good luck and a lot of hard work and dedication. But, it's always fun to teach new people.

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
Are you guys going back to the house after and playing more after the tourney since you will probably be limited timewise on campus

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
awesome, good luck with all of them papa bizz!

meanwhile i'll be training with the known bay area vets, and going to cgc's......... :)

see you guys at norcal tournys and regional majors!

Nice, more players, sounds good to me. Yeah mewtwo is frustrating to play, I mean even non competitive players know that. Gimped hitboxes and what not.

Looking forward to the 11th

Blazing Arrow

Smash Rookie
wtf no one ever heard of Taj thats the guy who's the mew2 at uc merced....LOL i wish

make that two mew2 ima main him now =D

who's down to practice for the tourney???? dates nd times plz's nd
my bro Wombo needs practice too of course

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Lol I hella wish taj transferred to merced. That'd be sickkkkk

Idk when i'll be able to play though. I've got tons of stuff going on right now. I may be moving the date for the next modesto tournament back as well, just to let you guys know

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
An update to our club...

When our club was tabling in the "Club and Organization Fair," we managed to get 60 sign-ups. Most of them have played melee a lot in the past while others play only Brawl but want to pick up melee for fun.

This is a dream come true for me because I love teaching people how to play melee semi-competitively while having good laughs.

However, do not expect these fresh people to enter into our upcoming tourney. I even advised them to only watch and play friendlies during the tournament so they do not get demoralized when they're only developing their skills at an early level.

MacD

Banned via Administration
i'm suprized you can get so much interest from kids at merced, good stuff

man if people like you were all over promoting melee at schools and other places, melee could AT LEAST double in size

Shroomed

Smash Master
yea, i never let myself four stock new people

i'd be pretty sad getting 4 stocked then 3 stocked or sumthing and goin 0-2

not everyone has my attitude to keep trying and get better =(

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
While hosting the modesto tourneys I always make sure to talk to the randoms that show up and teach them a bit/talk to them to make them feel welcome. I definitely don't go all out if I have to play them in tournament either. It seems like it'd be easy to get demoralized trying to get into a game that's been out for almost a decade, and I enjoy trying to get new people to join the smash community too.

60 members though... that's crazy.

Violence

Smash Lord
I ran a Go club at my college for 4 years. We have an activities fair also.

My rule of thumb has always been, take the number of sign ups on your sheet, divide it by 5. That's around the number of new people who will show up to your first few meetings.

From there, how many people continue to come is a product of how enjoyable you make their experience. Just remember that freshmen have lots and lots of options of what to do, and the more enjoyable you make your club, the more people will show up regularly. Here's hoping you get lots of people.

To any smashboarder who goes to this: New players are definitely the lifeblood of our community. Let's make this a really enjoyable event for them, win or lose.

Since we'll have a lot of inexperienced players, format-wise, I wouldn't recommend just a bracket.

I think they would enjoy either of the following two formats:

1. Seeding of ranked or known skilled players into bracket, and putting the remaining people into pools for the other spots.

2. Swiss Round Robin.

They get much more play time this way, instead of getting stuck playing friendlies. Even after they're done, they get to watch the main bracket for more exciting matches.

EDIT: Right.

Obligatory: I'll be going to this, bringing HMW, Phil, Sfat, and Alan.

I'm bringing a cube, 2 melee copies, 2 mem cards, and maybe a dazzle with splitters if anyone wants to record.

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
Thanks for the tips violence. I can't wait to see everyone in this upcoming tourney, new or old.

Btw, we are probably going to use "The Den" instead of the California Room. The problem with this is that "The Den" is much smaller than the California Room. I'm not sure if we'll fit everyone inside.

Edit: I have never done either of your two formats before. I'll keep it to double elimination if we use the "Den."

Blazing Arrow

Smash Rookie
SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH
THE SOUND OF MY FINGERS ON THE CONTROLLER!!! =D

now who's down to play this week?????

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
New

An update to our club...

When our club was tabling in the "Club and Organization Fair," we managed to get 60 sign-ups. Most of them have played melee a lot in the past while others play only Brawl but want to pick up melee for fun.

This is a dream come true for me because I love teaching people how to play melee semi-competitively while having good laughs.

However, do not expect these fresh people to enter into our upcoming tourney. I even advised them to only watch and play friendlies during the tournament so they do not get demoralized when they're only developing their skills at an early level.
Anytime I run a tournament where I expect a lot of new people, I make the entry fee as low as possible.

I ran a Go club at my college for 4 years. We have an activities fair also.

My rule of thumb has always been, take the number of sign ups on your sheet, divide it by 5. That's around the number of new people who will show up to your first few meetings.

From there, how many people continue to come is a product of how enjoyable you make their experience. Just remember that freshmen have lots and lots of options of what to do, and the more enjoyable you make your club, the more people will show up regularly. Here's hoping you get lots of people.

To any smashboarder who goes to this: New players are definitely the lifeblood of our community. Let's make this a really enjoyable event for them, win or lose.

Since we'll have a lot of inexperienced players, format-wise, I wouldn't recommend just a bracket.

I think they would enjoy either of the following two formats:

1. Seeding of ranked or known skilled players into bracket, and putting the remaining people into pools for the other spots.

2. Swiss Round Robin.

They get much more play time this way, instead of getting stuck playing friendlies. Even after they're done, they get to watch the main bracket for more exciting matches.

EDIT: Right.

Obligatory: I'll be going to this, bringing HMW, Phil, Sfat, and Alan.

I'm bringing a cube, 2 melee copies, 2 mem cards, and maybe a dazzle with splitters if anyone wants to record.
Quoted for emphasis. :colorful:

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
Btw, we're dropping the side falcon tourney because it would be too inconvenient to run in the Den if we host it there.

More info on stuff later.

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
you should bring as many as you can... although we're lacking gamecube/melee copies

i might get the california room for this saturday... crossing my fingers

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
dude

do juzz, momoraine, and jimbo go here still?!?!?!?!?!

old school merced baby!

*respect*

this tournament is gonna be legit

i havent been to the den in a coooool minute hahaa

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I'll bring 3 full setups if I can acquire that many by saturday. And by that I mean I'll bring people with me and force them to bring cubes/wiis lol. Still not sure if I'll be feeling well enough to go at all tho

Facepalm

Smash Cadet
Its ok nick I can always wait for the rematch of the century GKL vs GKInfinity. I think my IC's are getting hella rusty thats noooo good. We'll see the results after the tourney

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
I'll know by tomorrow for sure

juzz graduated, while jimbo and momoraine are still at school (jimbo said that they might attend this tourney).

thanks GKL

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
My puff is super rusty too, but i'm using zelda so it's allllll good haha. I think I can do much better against ganon in the matchup too (although I'm sure i still can't beat you biz)

GKL vs GKi part 4... ah, so hype

I still owe joe a dollar too... man i'm 0-2 with him in MMs. That link's pretty legit. Definitely knows the fox matchup.

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
OMFG tell momoraine i said hello and i love him. i was one of the founding members of the momoraine fan club.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
jimbo and momoraine ****

i wouldnt be good at falco matchup if it wasnt for jimbo back inthe day

datsuke

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1177-6961-3675
LOL, this is probably gonna be my first tourney i will be attending.

I'll help clean up. I'm living on campus so it shouldn't be too big of a deal. :D

Violence

Smash Lord
LOL, this is probably gonna be my first tourney i will be attending.

I'll help clean up. I'm living on campus so it shouldn't be too big of a deal. :D
We're generally a good community. Everyone helps set up, everyone helps take down, everyone helps clean up.

Especially those of us not from the area, we'll put in work, definitely.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Ok. I can drive by myself but it's way less interesting and I'd rather save on gas. I'd still be willing to chip in gas money if someone else could give me a ride though.

Top Bottom