• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A U WOT M8 - Shulk Q&A (READ THIS MESSAGE: PLEASE READ BEFORE MAKING A THREAD)

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
New Question!

Q: Why didn't Shulk's EBS have an ending slide of distance at @2:40? http://youtu.be/K4ErJfoEF-k?t=2m38s
Possible A: Shulk inputted a Ftilt, then dashed forward but let go of the stick, halting the dash & sliding a bit; perhaps if Shulk slides first before doing EBS, he won't slide during the move.
Possible A: Shulk's EBS nearing it's ending hit-box, the very last tipper portion of the Beam made contact however ROsaluma PowerShielded the hit.

Note:Some moves that had forward movement to a move did get stopped completely from PowerShielding.

The possibility of both possible A's being correct can also be an outcome too.

What do you guys say?

Feel free to add more and to correct this
:smirk: I'll try.
Q: Does Monado speed increase your attack speed also?
A: No, it doesn't. It increases Shulk's ground speed. It also weakens his damage by around 29%
Going by Aerodrome's data thread, the % damage output for Speed decreases by -28%, almost half. Sorry but I wanted to do your wishes & correct ya by 1%.:upsidedown:
Q: Does Monado jump increase your recovery, air speed and falling speed?
A: For recovery and air speed, yes it does. For falling speed? Well with extreme monado arts, it seems like Shulk falls incredibly fast so it's safe to assume that with normal monado arts, your falling speed is probably increased. Maybe by a slight bit. This answer will be updated once it's confirmed but for now, this is just an assumption
Extra A: Because Jump Height is increased thanks to Jump mode, your Jumping Air Slash's (JBS) height & both of the jumps in your Strong Air Slash (SAS) increase in height as well. (I'm 90% sure on this).
Q: How long is its cooldown?
A: :crying: I haven't seen an exact value for it.... Someone help
XD I'm not helping with this at all, but apparently not every Art will have the same cooldown time. Hopefully not semi-kinda, but it would limit us to which Arts are more use-able during the match than others.

XD I'm not helping with this at all, but apparently not every Art will have the same cooldown time. Hopefully not semi-kinda, but it would limit us to which Arts are more use-able during the match than others.
It doesn't seem like any of the arts had a massively long cooldown. Well, I'm not sure about that but it kind of doesn't matter if they have different cooldowns. You can always switch to another art afterwards or stay as Vanilla Shulk

But it'd be nice to know what the exact cooldown is anyway

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Would Speed mode affect:
  1. the 2nd slash in Shulk's FAS (Forward Air Slash)?
  2. the dashing lunge in Shulk's EBS (Enduring Back Slash)?
  3. the falling / slightly forward lunge in Shulk's JBS (Jumping Back Slash)?
  4. the entire dashing portion of Shulk's DV (Dash VIsion)?
I feel fairly confident that these are all affected by Speed Mode, but I can be wrong & would need testing to see. This would promote the Custom Moves with the added bonuses given from the Arts triggered to make any of them slightly better.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Does Shulk actually say "u wot m8", in Xenoblade or Smash?

That is the question.

Does Shulk actually say "u wot m8", in Xenoblade or Smash?

That is the question.
No

It's just something British people would say or sound like when they say, "You what, mate?".

And Xenoblade characters are British (and not Australian) so yeah

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I was aware of the British accents in Xenoblade Chronicles, but considering how campy they sound, I think it would have been funny for Shulk to say "U WOT M8" in Xenoblade or Smash.

Still, at least he's really feeling it.

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
I had a question about Shulk's Monado Arts that I haven't seen answered yet. I understand the cycling through them goes Jump - Speed - Shield - Buster - Smash. Whenever Shulk doesn't have an art active, this is how he cycles through them.

But let's say I activate Buster, and realize I want to switch to something else. When I begin cycling again. Will it start from Jump as usual. Or will it start from Buster? Personally, I really hope it goes back to the original, starting from Jump again. Since that will make it much easier to remember and cycle through his arts. Just mash B the # of times to get to the correct art. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I had a question about Shulk's Monado Arts that I haven't seen answered yet. I understand the cycling through them goes Jump - Speed - Shield - Buster - Smash. Whenever Shulk doesn't have an art active, this is how he cycles through them.

But let's say I activate Buster, and realize I want to switch to something else. When I begin cycling again. Will it start from Jump as usual. Or will it start from Buster? Personally, I really hope it goes back to the original, starting from Jump again. Since that will make it much easier to remember and cycle through his arts. Just mash B the # of times to get to the correct art. Can anyone confirm this for me?
When you haven't chosen an Art & they're all fresh & ready to use, you cycle through them all starting with Jump. Let's say you chose Buster & turned it off, now Buster's on cooldown. When you cycle through Arts again, it takes you back to Buster in gray, then you skip straight to Jump. Video below for reference:

http://youtu.be/zC9A3QVh7Lg?t=1m35s

@1:38 he puts on Buster.
@1:39 he manually switches off Buster.
@1:40 he starts cycling with Buster being the gray kanji Art he switched off, then it goes back to Jump starting again.

EDIT: Also I'm a day late, but welcome to Smashboards.:shades:

Last edited:

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
Hmm. This is a little confusing to me. Does that mean you must "turn off" your current art before you're able to cycle through them again? And if so, it starts from the beginning again?

I'm still having a hard time grasping the cycle process when you're already in a current art. I understand an art is grayed out while in cooldown.

Hmm. This is a little confusing to me. Does that mean you must "turn off" your current art before you're able to cycle through them again? And if so, it starts from the beginning again?

I'm still having a hard time grasping the cycle process when you're already in a current art. I understand an art is grayed out while in cooldown.
While having Monado arts activated, you have to deactivate then you can cycle through his monado arts

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Is Air Slash fast enough to be a good out of shield option?

It seems like it would be a good way of securing KOs if it is, since most of Shulk's other moves with KO power are on the slow side.

It seems like it would be a good way of securing KOs if it is, since most of Shulk's other moves with KO power are on the slow side.
For the most part, yeah. I did hear a mention or two about Air Slash being a potential or actual OoS option (Myself included)

Edit:

Oh. Here's a mention
Iruchii said:
[Shulk]
Initially I was very underwhelmed with Shulk. He felt just like Brawl Ike to me, except he had a poor Fair zoning game due to the lack of a C-Stick (jumping backwards and using Fair is hard without it), and less kill potential. However, as I started to explore his Monado stances more, and as my understanding of his range and startups got better, I started to see the potential in this guy. His best tools are definitely his Ike-like jab, OOS UpB, Bair/Fair spacing and smash attacks. Oh, yeah, his counter is decent as well.

When you know the order of the stances (jump, speed, defense, damage, power), you can tap B really quickly and get to the one you want easily. The stance-change animation can be cancelled by inputting any other attack, too. I usually start the match with either the purple (damage) or blue (speed) stances. Purple is for obvious reasons -- his three-hit jab combo does about 12%, and other tilts/aerial moves all do more than 10% per hit. It's not hard to get from two to three jab combos and maybe a Fair or Nair with the stance up, giving you a very nice lead. The blue stance, however, is great against projectile spammers or shield-happy players. What it allows you to do is to run past your opponent before they can react, and either pivot tilt or pivot grab them. It's an amazing, amazing mixup, and very hard to punish. When you get them to about 70~90%, it's a good time to switch to red (power) and punish rolls with your smashes or bait them into an OOS UpB. The second hit from your UpB is so strong with the power stance, KOing early.

I think players who make good use of the Monado stances will be really rewarded. Shulk is fun and strong, and I feel he's pretty good. If you're excited about him, you're directing your excitement quite well!

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace

I don't believe it has a start-up with intangibility like Mart's Dolphin Slash, but it's relatively the same speed OOS, so yeah I'd consider OOSAS to be viable.

MikeSanti

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5242-9800
Hey there guys! I plan on maining Shulk once the game releases in the states. Marth main through Melee/Brawl and truly love the depth that Monado gives Shulk.

This question relates more so in what would be the most effective kill moves? (Throw Included)

I ask this for the tournament on Oct.4th. 4 man 6 minutes Items on I'm planning on bringing Shulk for some easy kills amid the chaos along with Shield Form to survive and switch to Jump form whenever I'm far from the stage. I know it's more of a lottery really with the way the 4 man matches would be but I feel I will have more survivability with Shulk (Unless I go for someone like Kirby or a runaway character and sneak in for some kills.)

Seeing as I will not have much time Friday to practice for Saturday, I figured I'd ask the board for the top moves to go for. I've been watching some videos as well so would just like to compile some information to get a head start on my training.

Hey there guys! I plan on maining Shulk once the game releases in the states. Marth main through Melee/Brawl and truly love the depth that Monado gives Shulk.

This question relates more so in what would be the most effective kill moves? (Throw Included)
B-throw or F-throw are your best KO's for throwing

F-tilt it great with smash activated

F-smash or D-smash for punishing

B-air edgeguarding is also great

Note that you should activate smash when KO'ing

Edit: D-air for meteor smashing and for ending it in style

OH AND VISION IF YOU GET THE CHANCE

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace

I ask this for the tournament on Oct.4th. 4 man 6 minutes Items on I'm planning on bringing Shulk for some easy kills amid the chaos along with Shield Form to survive and switch to Jump form whenever I'm far from the stage. I know it's more of a lottery really with the way the 4 man matches would be but I feel I will have more survivability with Shulk (Unless I go for someone like Kirby or a runaway character and sneak in for some kills.)

Seeing as I will not have much time Friday to practice for Saturday, I figured I'd ask the board for the top moves to go for. I've been watching some videos as well so would just like to compile some information to get a head start on my training.
Your go-to KO moves involve these mostly from what I've noticed in Shulk videos. These moves are in no particular order of how powerful they are, & also remember that Monado Art Smash increases your KB power, making moves that usually wouldn't KO be able to, so:
  • Ftilt
  • Fsmash
  • Dsmash
  • Usmash
  • Bthrow near the ledge faced away from that direction
  • F-throw near the ledge toward a facing direction
  • Bair on or off-stage
  • Uair from a mid-distance airborne from the stage
  • Dair sweet-spotted meteor smash
  • Fair off-stage
Remember that Speed & Shield reduce your % damage output, so they'll reduce your chances of KO'ing off or on stage. Jump helps score you better edge-guarding KO's, & Buster reduces the KB value of all of Shulk's moves so you cannot use Buster to KO with.

EDIT: This may be a bit confusing but Shulk's Beam section of his attacks actually aren't the sweet-spot Except for his Fsmash & Usmash as the Beam in those attacks are what deal the % damage & the KnockBack. The Blade section of every other move is the stronger section dealing more % & KnockBack. Good luck:shades:

Last edited:

Joe Blackman

Smash Rookie
NNID
Joe_Blackman
What uh, what accent does Shulk have? 80% of me thinks he has a British accent, whereas the 20% thinks its a really forced British accent. I don't know!

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
What uh, what accent does Shulk have? 80% of me thinks he has a British accent, whereas the 20% thinks its a really forced British accent. I don't know!
100% genuine Brit, his VA is named Adam Howden.

B-throw or F-throw are your best KO's for throwing

F-tilt it great with smash activated

F-smash or D-smash for punishing

B-air edgeguarding is also great

Note that you should activate smash when KO'ing

Edit: D-air for meteor smashing and for ending it in style

OH AND VISION IF YOU GET THE CHANCE
I've heard that Vision while having Monado Smash activated is crazy good, haven't really seen any footage of it though.

So I have a question: is every Monado Mode good, or is jump (for example) rarely used?

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
So I have a question: is every Monado Mode good, or is jump (for example) rarely used?
Depends of what others perceive good as, but my input on the question is yes. Jump is getting used a lot more now that players are realizing Jump used offensively can chase off-stage to edge-guard with the superior air speed & jump height that's granted to Shulk hunting someone off-screen with Fair or RARBair. The least used Art so far seems to be Shield, & that's for good reason.

Buster is good when well... Actually, you can use it any time you want. You have to maximize your range with it because playing safely and defensively is the way to go

Smash is good when **** it. You already know. Oh and, it's deadly with vision

Jump is great all around. For recovering, edgeguarding, KO'ing, combos and damaging and overwhelming the opponent and also jumping over anything easily.

Speed is great against characters that can control the stage really well and it's also good for rushing down (especially if you mix it up with pivot grabbing) and following up

Shield is great when you're at a high %. That's about it

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Shield is great when you're at a high %. That's about it

Shield is the perfect set-up Art that leads to a followed-up Buster or Smash switch after being at high % & Shield going on cooldown. Shield indirectly counters juggling due to it's increased Defense stat reducing KB & % damage taken, thereby reducing hitstun opting to spam Vision to combo break the juggling tilts / jabs. At this point it's trivial things we know Shield can do already, but noting Shield is the most defensive ground-based Art Shulk possesses, Shulk wouldn't go anywhere when turtling right.:shades:

For fun question: What's your favorite Monado Art?!~

Last edited:

Shield is the perfect set-up Art that leads to a followed-up Buster or Smash switch after being at high % & Shield going on cooldown. Shield indirectly counters juggling due to it's increased Defense stat reducing KB & % damage taken, thereby reducing hitstun opting to spam Vision to combo break the juggling tilts / jabs. At this point it's trivial things we know Shield can do already, but noting Shield is the most defensive ground-based Art Shulk possesses, Shulk wouldn't go anywhere when turtling right.:shades:

Well, let's be honest, I think that's general knowledge. Once shield goes off cooldown, you're pretty much given the choice since you can't go back to shield again

I forgot about the ground-based part. Thanks for mentioning

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

From what I've seen it's definitely Buster, followed by Speed. I like all of them though.

My favorite is Buster > Jump > Speed > Shield > Smash

Seriously. The more I see jump in action, the less I'm inclined to use speed. Someone please convince me

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ Berserker. Berserker.
Honesty is Decency.:shades: I felt like adding in for the underlined section of your rundown on Shield is all. You also didn't give out your favorite Art, Mr.Buster.:smirk:
EDITED in mid-sentence: Welp. . .:4greninja:'d
@ Solfiner Solfiner I dig it. My favorite Arts hands down in order from most to least favorite Jump > Shield > Speed > Buster > Smash
My favorite is Buster > Jump > Speed > Shield > Smash

Seriously. The more I see jump in action, the less I'm inclined to use speed. Someone please convince me
Personally, I prefer the air--:4falco:
You're really feeling it--:4shulk:

Although I'm inclined to use both regardless, I gotta go fast--:4sonic:

Also, Sliding pivot grabs from Dashing is OP PLZ NERF. You're convinced?:troll:

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
So far, I suck at pivoting with the circle pad. I don't know why it's different :(
I'd go to say it's probably a new feel of Smash? Are you feelin-- Done.

Can someone test for me if Shulk in Shield mode has a stronger Shield bubble? Perfect test is to press your shield bubble right by someone doing a wake-up attack. Because everyone's wake-up attack does a ton of shield damage.

I'd go to say it's probably a new feel of Smash? Are you feelin-- Done.

Can someone test for me if Shulk in Shield mode has a stronger Shield bubble? Perfect test is to press your shield bubble right by someone doing a wake-up attack. Because everyone's wake-up attack does a ton of shield damage.
I don't remember there being any shield bubble strength in frame data threads I've seen. I might be wrong about this (Probably wrong, probably not, I'm fine being corrected).

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I've heard that Vision while having Monado Smash activated is crazy good, haven't really seen any footage of it though.
Monado Smash + Rage Mechanics + Vision = Kills at ridiculous % are definitely possible!

:059:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Honestly Smash seems the most satisfying. Although frequently I've seen clearly inexperienced Shulks (Who's experienced when the game is so young?) get screwed over by having Smash on at the wrong time.

As an actual question, what real use does Speed serve? I've seen all of them including Jump used effectively, but don't have the know-how to understand Speed's real benefit half the time, as much as I'm glad it's there.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
As an actual question, what real use does Speed serve?
the rundown on Speed is that you have the movement speed to close any gap & have stage control at any time while defying the opponents stage presence they try to have over you. Speed basically disregards any Zoning and hazarding that is set-up to keep you away. Characters with any of those traits are shown below:
:4bowserjr::4darkpit::4dedede::4diddy::4duckhunt::4greninja::4link::4lucario::4megaman::4miigun::4ness::4olimar::4palutena::4pit::4rob::4robinm::rosalina::4samus::4tlink::4villager::4zelda::4zss:
The real usage behind Speed is to punish their landings on the ground, where Speed is in control. Brawl Sonic was a good example of running around shield-stopping to dash+grab bad landings or Power Shield through hit-boxes; and since Shulk has relatively decent grab-game & the Speed Art decreases the Damage he deals indirectly reduces the KB you deal, it allows combos to string a little easier. Although your jumping height is reduced, it doesn't matter when it comes to Speed. After all, Speed is Shulk's most aggressive ground-based Art out of the 5.

Last edited:
Seriously though, pivot grabs aren't enough to convince me to use speed instead of jump

Anything else?

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Seriously though, pivot grabs aren't enough to convince me to use speed instead of jump

Anything else?
Punishing stage-wide mistakes isn't enough to make you use Speed?--:4sonic: What, you think Jump can fly there to punish their stage-wide mistake?:troll:

Take into an account for a character to have exceptional air-game but a poor ground game. These two are the ones I can think of atm::4diddy::4luigi:. Weegee was a throw-in but I know that Diddy's ground game was nerfed, so Speed is ideal versus him. Where Jump is used off-stage.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ Berserker. Berserker. I found something interesting in the Video thread about your post:
In Game 1 vs Palutena, Shulk is using DMArts because they're lasting longer than MArts, (for example MAB doesn't last longer than 19 seconds, yet when using DMAB it lasts for almost 22 seconds NOT KIDDING) & interestingly enough, at 0:55 Shulk's DMArts in mid-air creates a huge sphere of purple energy after being hit by Palutena's Explosive Flame.
Question: What is that?! And what does it mean?!:surprised:

After that, Rockin' does something else that intrigues me. At 1:20 he ShortHops backward AirDodging & has no landing lag when landing on the ground with DMAB on.
Question: Does DMAB make buffered ShortHop AirDodges lagless, or is Shulk just able to buffer SH+AD & not get landing lag normally?

Last edited:
@ Berserker. Berserker. I found something interesting in the Video thread about your post:

In Game 1 vs Palutena, Shulk is using DMArts because they're lasting longer than MArts, (for example MAB doesn't last longer than 19 seconds, yet when using DMAB it lasts for almost 22 seconds NOT KIDDING) & interestingly enough, at 0:55 Shulk's DMArts in mid-air creates a huge sphere of purple energy after being hit by Palutena's Explosive Flame.
Question: What is that?! And what does it mean?!:surprised:

After that, Rockin' does something else that intrigues me. At 1:20 he ShortHops backward AirDodging & has no landing lag when landing on the ground with DMAB on.
Question: Does DMAB make buffered ShortHop AirDodges lagless, or is Shulk just able to buffer SH+AD & not get landing lag normally?
I didn't unlock the specials yet. So far, I've been going on For Glory matches then I decided to hit training mode to do random things

So... I got nothing :|

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
New question(s):

1. Can anyone find out if Shulk's MArts are still in effect when activating his Final Smash: Chain Attack?

If so,
1.a. how much total % damage does each Art (Speed Shield Buster) deal when using Chain Attack?

And to go the extra mile,
1.b. what changes about Chain Attack when using all of the MArts?

Last edited:
Top Bottom