• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

U-air out of shield

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
This is something I see nobody do. This is something I haven't even considered doing myself until now. Okay, summing up what I think of it right now:

U-air out of shield takes a little more tech skill that say, Up-B or N-air out of shield (you have to hold Up lightly, jump and U-air to buffer it correctly). However it covers more range than N-air, and it ends sooner, so you get to do a B-air or other aerials immediately after the U-air finishes up.

Other things to note, U-air -> B-air in some situations combos better than B-air -> U-air or U-air -> U-air.

I dunno, that's my thoughts on it. If you have any input on how this works, I would like to hear it.

Villi

Smash Lord
I didn't know you could buffer up airs. I could be wrong, but I thought that would just end up getting you a jump canceled up smash.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It's a frame trap basically. What you're trying to do is increase your options available. Up-B out of shield is unsafe if you whiff it. N-air out of shield you have to fullhop to make it most safe, and you don't get to follow up much. If you SH U-air out of shield, your opponent will be left guessing as to how they should react. If you do this and put some pressure on their shield from behind, you can get amazing results.

Villi

Smash Lord
If you input any action, you have 8 frames before that action ends to buffer another action. If you air dodge into the ground, you can input a jab 8 frames before you land and at the soonest possible moment, your jab will come out. Jumps typically take 6-7 frames before you go airborne -- you can use the frames of a jump's startup animation to buffer an aerial. You can't buffer up airs from your jumping animation because the input will cancel your jump and turn it into an up smash. you can do any other aerial this way, though.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If you input any action, you have 8 frames before that action ends to buffer another action. If you air dodge into the ground, you can input a jab 8 frames before you land and at the soonest possible moment, your jab will come out. Jumps typically take 6-7 frames before you go airborne -- you can use the frames of a jump's startup animation to buffer an aerial. You can't buffer up airs from your jumping animation because the input will cancel your jump and turn it into an up smash. you can do any other aerial this way, though.
Wrong, you can buffer U-airs. You have to hold the control stick lightly so that the game doesn't register your Up action as a "Smash" when you jump.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I use every aerial aside from Fair OOS. They all shine in their own particular situations. For example, Dair OOS is best when attacked on shield by an opponent at very low percentages, that way you can DJ -> Uair followup afterwards. If you've ever fought BO X7 offline or otherwise, you've seen this a hundred times.

Uair OOS, I find, is great on larger oppponents.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
The thing bout doing an up-b out of shield is that there's invincibility frames. Usually a good time to do an up-b out of shield is when you're stuck inside a "tornado" like move, where there's like a constant hit box, such as Metaknight's tornado xD

But if my opponent isn't doing any kind of move similar to that, but they're still on me, I guess u-air out of shield would work, but I normally like doing d-air out of my shield.

Dusty

Smash Rookie
Using the up-air out of shield is a good idea but lets say that your fighting Marth. If he does a sweet spotted Fsmash to your shield then you use the UP-air. It won't hit, on top of that say you were at the edge when this happened. Going back in mid air would likely lead to you hanging (this is bad spot to be in with Mario). If you go forward to attack, you would likely be shield grabbed or attacked with Ftilt (bad option). You could just stay there from the up-air but you make no progress.

Note: This a reasonable scenario for this because most Marth players look for this to use Fsmash (easy kills)

The point is that most of the time your facing chars that have better spaced moves then you and using this is not useful at all. Then again facing chars with about equal spacing this move is ok like Wario's Fsmash.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Theres time where you can poorly miss a oos upb. The more options the better to pick from. I love OOS Dair. Works great on those who love to SH approach.

against tipping fsmashing marths then just oos upb lol. or OOS stutter step fsmash? XD if its possible.

Dusty

Smash Rookie
Theres time where you can poorly miss a oos upb. The more options the better to pick from. I love OOS Dair. Works great on those who love to SH approach.

against tipping fsmashing marths then just oos upb lol. or OOS stutter step fsmash? XD if its possible.
I tried the upB (failed). upB doesn't have enough reach for that. The oos stutter step fsmash doesn't work T_T (just imagine if it did).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
oos stutter step F-smash punishes Marth's F-smash like 99% of the time unless he spaces it perfect perfectly (keep in mind, it has more range than his F-smash in fact). I do it all the time.

The only thing I don't like about D-air OOS is that due to DI, sometimes it doesn't fully connect, and you can't B-air immediately afterwards. U-air ends fast enough for you to B-air.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
uair oos works way to well. I find it easier to start my combos this way...

also it works as a better alternative to those who shield grab often, thanks to this method, instead of getting easily shield grabbed by DK using SH bairs, i used this OOS SH uair method to **** him...

i can't believe i wasn't using this before, this is definitely going into my metagame book....

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I have a question: When is Uair OoS better than Dsmash OoS/SD?
I find myself using Dsmash and Usmash OoS for when the enemy is in front or behind me (respectively) almost all the time and would like to know when an aerial would be a better option.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Dsmash is better at low % or vs someone with alot of pressure power, like MK or Fox. Uair OOS has more combo potential as well.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Nair works pretty well OOS since it's fast and has good priority, the only things I don't like about it is that it doesn't have great follow-ups and it can be shield grabbed.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
I have a question: When is Uair OoS better than Dsmash OoS/SD?
I find myself using Dsmash and Usmash OoS for when the enemy is in front or behind me (respectively) almost all the time and would like to know when an aerial would be a better option.
you can avoid getting shield grabbed by approaching differently...if you don't perfect shield and usmash or dsmash, your opponent can shieldgrab you. Kinda learned this the hard way facing people with huge grab ranges like ddd and dk..

with oos uair, you can DI properly and possibly avoid being grab. You can also surprise your foes by making yourself look a bit less predictable. the more options we have the better.

-uair frames are quick, this can be a good starter for uair juggles...

Top Bottom