• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Two Sides of the Same Coin - Pit/ Dark Pit Meta Game Discussion

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

I uploaded all of PIt's Customs. Hope it helps!
I'm liking the look of these moves! I think I'll opt for the penetrating bow and the explosive shields, myself - it'll add a bit of physical power to the little guy's arsenal and it should help me stand before the bigger and more versatile fighters!

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
What does block the explosive guardian orbitars??? Physical attacks or nothing?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I find it weird how Pit and Dark Pit are like 98% similar to each other. Even clone characters in the past have at least different characteristics with their attacks, like having more or less power and knocking the opponent in different trajectories, and different movement. Here though, I'm genuinely confused as to why Dark Pit is a separate character. Is it purely fanservice, like with the emphasis on his fan favorite theme?

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I find it weird how Pit and Dark Pit are like 98% similar to each other. Even clone characters in the past have at least different characteristics with their attacks, like having more or less power and knocking the opponent in different trajectories, and different movement. Here though, I'm genuinely confused as to why Dark Pit is a separate character. Is it purely fanservice, like with the emphasis on his fan favorite theme?
That's a dangerous topic to speculate on. I personally think Sakurai just realised they had time left over, saw Pit, realised he knows Dark Pit inside-out and just thought, "Screw it, I'm sure the fans will like it."

Others would say it's fanservice / bias, but this is really, really not the thread for that.

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink
I personally kind of wish they gave Pit and Dark Pit different weapons for each custom move like they did Megaman. I love it when a fighting game gives a character a stupid number of weapons to take out at random.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
So does Pittoo have a tipper, too? I keep hearing conflicting sources on that.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Someone got some follow-up's ?
I get some follow-up's from grabs, but I'm looking for more.
It's hard gimp in the online, because lag, but offline they are very gimp-ish, don't ?

I'm suffering with Pit new recovery too...

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Hey guys, I got the game. Don't have a ton, but there's two moves I want to talk about.

First, Guardian Orbitars. I'll need to test, but you're basically invincible when using them, even from the top and bottom. For now, it looks like a good way to get past somebody jumping up at you after sending you flying.

Second, Upperdash Arm. It has a few techniques I'd like to share: Upperdash canceling and projectile countering.

Upperdash canceling, not originally found by me, (I'd recognize you if I saw you sorry) is pretty simple. When Pit strikes anything while in the air, he goes down a few pixels: Enough to land right after the hit, canceling the lag. I've only managed it by flying over a ledge, skimming the ground, but it's theoretically possible in any situation.

Projectile countering is more of a concept then a technique. Basically, you can punish the shooter by using the Upperdash either right when it's fired, deflecting the projectile, or when it hits you, giving you more time to react.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So my summation is that, quite simply, Pit is a god(dess)send. He's nicely balanced and doesn't lean towards close or ranged over the other, and that allows him to take on just about any opponent and be able to hold his own. His adaptability, I feel, is his greatest strength and something I will continue to investigate even further.

The bow is a decent projectile and is fun to use from a safe distance. It does minimal damage and knockback, so it is not advisable for serious offensive play - rather, it is good to add some extra damage and shoot at opponents from afar when an opening presents itself. I find its best application is actually as a distraction tactic: use its aiming and guiding properties to target your opponent in mid-stream and ensure they are stopped before they can get to you. Opponents that need to set up and strategise their skills beforehand are particularly susceptible to this tactic: use it to interrupt Ness's PK Thunder, for example, or Marth's Shield Breaker.

Aside from Uprising itself, the Upperdash Arm is the best thing to ever happen to Pit. It's fantastic for approaching and the super armour gives Pit some much-needed defenses. It's true that it's dangerous in open areas, as missing will leave Pit wide open for punishment, but this is largely mitigated by Pit's decent ground speed and ability to take off and run at a moment's notice. Knocking people into the air will allow for some excellent follow-up airgame, and his juggling skills are remarkable. It's great for softening up tougher opponents and is a solid finisher at high percentages. I find myself using it a lot and it's definitely an integral part of his heavenly arenal.

His recovery is superb overall, but be cautious with it: it can fly across just about any stage and get Pit where he needs to go, but it leaves him totally open after he begins freefall, so I'd advise being careful bouncing about without knowing where you're going. Due to its inoffensive nature, it is not applicable for combative purposes, so it is to be used only as a recovery or as a means of making a quick escape. Upperdash Arm may be a preferable option if you are not too far from the edge and want to intercept opponents in mid-air along the way. Along with his quadruple jump, though, I would argue it's among the strongest and most reliable recoveries out of any character's.

The Guardian Orbitars are tricky for me. When fighting opponents with no ranged skills (e.g. Little Mac, Marth), it is fundamentally useless. It is advised to bear this in mind, as it overall negates a solid half of his special moveset for offensive purposes (as his recovery also does no damage). I find myself seldom using it, if at all, even against ranged fighters, as I find that defense is not Pit's strong suit and I prefer to simply dodge and not be present to be hit in the first place. That being said, against ranged opponents with strong projectiles (e.g. Ness, Palutena), it can be very useful - like all counters, though, it is extremely situational and you must be wary of where and why you use it. For added fun, try using it to reflect Master Hand's finger gun attack: as always, it's pretty much a free attack and can work wonders in higher difficulties!

Overall, a solid character and definitely among my favourites in this game. He is my main character, hands down, and I will continue to learn and improve with our angelic cohort!

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731
I love the Guardian Orbitars. At first glance they seem useless, but it's basically a second shield that can also reflect. I love using it when falling straight towards an opponent because they expect an airdodge and instead I use the Orbitars, leaving them with lag from their smash or tilt and allowing me to punish them instead. It also helps when using it on the ground to do the same thing. However, it has a bit of a slow startup, so be wary of that as well.

The Upperdash arm is great, but it can also leave you wide open. It's a bit of a double-edged sword. Hits like a truck when it connects, leaves you open for punishment when you whiff or they block.

All in all, I am loving Pit. I also played around with Dark Pit, but his meta is pretty much the same as Pit's. The Orbitars work exactly the same for him, and the only difference with the ElectroShock Arm is the angle it sends the opponent. I personally prefer Pit's bow to Dark Pit's simply for the amount of control it has. However, the twins are both viable options and great additions to the roster.

I'll give more as I play around with them more.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Upperdash canceling, not originally found by me, (I'd recognize you if I saw you sorry) is pretty simple. When Pit strikes anything while in the air, he goes down a few pixels: Enough to land right after the hit, canceling the lag. I've only managed it by flying over a ledge, skimming the ground, but it's theoretically possible in any situation.
Have any tips to help a guy pull it off. I can't pull it off at all. Just tried in training mode at half speed and Pit still jumps up after hit. EDIT: nevermind, just did it after I posted. >.< Did it jumping through Battlefield platform, but I can't do it by just jumping and immediately hitting in side-b

As for my day 1 opinions on the Pit's themselves. I give a resounding, ehhhhhhhhhhhhh. First the good stuff in general, he's faster and got quite a range buff, as well as some tipper hitboxes (nothing as extreme as Marth's of course) and he can now spike with dair, though I have yet to land it.

Now the bad stuff (to me). I don't really care for much of the new changes from Brawl except for the Guardian Orbitars, which just seems better than the Mirror Shield outside of don't turning opponents around.

The Arms don't feel as strong they look or were hyped to be, but it is better than Angel Ring by a long shot, since you probably actually use it. The super armor is nice but I've yet to get timing down for the active frames as I find myself getting hit out of it a lot. So right now I much prefer Falcons Raptor Boost, and spikes which hits like a truck, and doesn't have armor but I keep getting hit with Pit's anyway so it doesn't really matter to me.

The Arrows I'm also really eh. I like Pit's more than I thought I would after playing it at Best Buy, but they still feel super weak. You have much more control over them than you do in Brawl though. Dark Pit's feel better powerwise but they feel just as slow and I don't like not being able to curve them much.

Recovery is also ok. I do like that it snaps to the ledge pretty early, because if it didn't it would be absolute trash unless he could attack out of it, which he can't. It goes far but the path it pretty predictable and easily punished. I much prefer his Brawl recovery, and kind of annoyed that he doesn't have it, considering ROBs is the same as far as I know, and Villagers recovery just being basically Pits Brawl one with a few differences.

Also his mid-air jump height seems to have been nerfed, which might be why I'm not doing so well playing these two after playing them in Brawl for 6 years, since offstage game is way more important now. I'm having trouble falling from ledge and jumping back on stage with the second jump. It's possible but the timing is much stricter than in Brawl. Thankfully his fair and nair have pretty low landing lag so they're ok get up options.

And the last, and main reason I don't like him, is that his power in general seems to have gone down a lot. Bair does not feel like the killing beast it was before, having trouble killing offstage even at 100%, and fair doesn't feel to strong either. Both now feel more suited towards gimping rather than outright killing. Ftilt also got a power nerf in exchange for its speed and range buff, so while landing it is easier, it just doesn't feel good to me for when I land it, and I actually loved using it in Brawl.

Thankfully, his smash attacks still kill at a good percent, especially Usmash and Fsmash (for smash 4), and he pivot his Fsmash now so that's good. He also doesn't slide a lot when he does it'll probably be easier to get the spacing and timing down than say, Mario or Shulk, who slides quite a bit when you pivot tilt with him. Things to note on Usmash, as well as a lot of up moves in this game as well, many of their hitboxes seemed to be more suit for being a straight up anti air instead of an option on grounded opponents. Pit can hit grounded opponents with Usmash, but much of cast probably has the capacity to actually just duck the attack and respond with whatever, and it does't have a hitbox inside Pit, so if you do Usmash at point blank it is very possible to straight up miss (my dummy character for this was Dr. Mario). So basically never running Usmash on a Jigglypuff unless you want to eat a Rest. His Dsmash seems to have redesigned specifically for reading and punishing rolls, the first hit is rather weak for a Smash attack and send them at a diagonal up angle. Not very good for killing. However the second hit sends at a pretty nice horizontal angle which is a good gimp position.

I'm gonna play them more, and I admittedly haven't played both of them as much as I expected would because I don't like the way they feel after playing Pit in Brawl for so long. I do think they are good characters but right now they just feel to different from what I remember and expected from them for me to get much enjoyment out of them.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Have any tips to help a guy pull it off. I can't pull it off at all. Just tried in training mode at half speed and Pit still jumps up after hit. EDIT: nevermind, just did it after I posted. >.< Did it jumping through Battlefield platform, but I can't do it by just jumping and immediately hitting in side-b.
Yeah, I've done more testing with the frame advance mode, and it's impossible to do right off the ground. It's very finicky when trying to do it off of the ledge too. And I can do with with some consistency on platforms, but nothing to rely on. I really don't expect much of the technique.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Yeah, I've done more testing with the frame advance mode, and it's impossible to do right off the ground. It's very finicky when trying to do it off of the ledge too. And I can do with with some consistency on platforms, but nothing to rely on. I really don't expect much of the technique.
Quick, lets get the Tomodachi Life stage legal.

Tsutori

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2320-6305-8112
The Arrows I'm also really eh. I like Pit's more than I thought I would after playing it at Best Buy, but they still feel super weak. You have much more control over them than you do in Brawl though. Dark Pit's feel better powerwise but they feel just as slow and I don't like not being able to curve them much.

And the last, and main reason I don't like him, is that his power in general seems to have gone down a lot. Bair does not feel like the killing beast it was before, having trouble killing offstage even at 100%, and fair doesn't feel to strong either. Both now feel more suited towards gimping rather than outright killing. Ftilt also got a power nerf in exchange for its speed and range buff, so while landing it is easier, it just doesn't feel good to me for when I land it, and I actually loved using it in Brawl.
Actually I feel like Brawl arrows were easier to control, but maybe that's just me? At any rate I definitely want to get the free arrow custom move for both Pits because that looks like it's going to be amazing for gimps and hitstun.

I can't tell if the actual power of his moves went down or if it's just the blast zones being stupid huge. I definitely agree that both Pits don't quite have as much killing power as they were hyped up to have though.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Actually I feel like Brawl arrows were easier to control, but maybe that's just me? At any rate I definitely want to get the free arrow custom move for both Pits because that looks like it's going to be amazing for gimps and hitstun.

I can't tell if the actual power of his moves went down or if it's just the blast zones being stupid huge. I definitely agree that both Pits don't quite have as much killing power as they were hyped up to have though.
His smashes i think have been properly adjusted to for the new blastzones, but his aerials are definitely designed more for gimping this time, because they do well off stage. Though bair has some weird quirk. When i was playing earlier today I hit someone with it and they basically went straight up with no horizontal distance worth mentioning.

After playing again for a few hours I think I can say I like the Pit's now, I just needed some more time to get used to them.

Some stuff from playing For Glory today:

Fthrow -> dash attack -> ftilt at 0% seems like it could be solid

Dthrow -> uair/fair -> at 0% also seems like a thing, though its not a perfect combo, its more a read situation. If you think theyll jump, uair. If they'll attack, space a fair. They could air dodge too but they'll be so close to the ground if they air dodge get hit by landing lag so they often opt to not do that.

Dsmash is definitely designed to punish rolls. If you do land the read, if much likely they were holding away from you. which means the new DI is promptly kick them in the face and send them very far.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

Yeah, his old arrows were easier to aim, assuming you knew how. With the new ones you can't aim them slightly downward or upward, just exact angles. Makes it hard to deal with crouchers... Although, I'm trying to use a little trick I came up with. Instead of reaiming it at the last second, make it dip right away and have it go straight again.

Silly Sakurai, "easy" arrows just made it harder to hit the other angles.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Somethings I just realized today but I don't think have been mentioned, but some key things about Pit vs Dark Pit's arrows and Arm attack.

Since Pit's arrow turns much sharper, it is a bit hard to hit characters that are naturally low to the ground, like Greninja and Sonic, as the arrow can just goes over their heads, and the timing can be rough with some occasional online lag and the game being new. However, Dark Pit avoids this because his barely curve at all. He just has to hit down quickly instead of timing the turn or aiming it earlier. Of course this also means if they jump Dark Pit is gonna miss. So Dark Pit's arrow do better against grounded opponents, while Pit's do better against jumping opponents.

Also I need to check again, but I think Dark Pit's uncharged arrows travel just a bit faster than Pit's. Easy way to test it would just be do a Pit vs Dark Pit on Omega Pac-Maze just mash B to get the arrow out as the match starts to ensure they fire at the same time. Theres a line that marks the center on this stage, and Dark Pit's should travel past it before they clash if they fire at the same time. I don't have access to two 3DS's though so if anyone could try that that would be swell.

On their Arms, because Pit's hits vertically, he has much tighter kill % range, since no matter where he is on the ground, he'll always be the same distance or closer to the ceiling. Unless for some reason you're using it deep underneath the stage, in which case I say "what are you even doing?" (Unless you're saving a teammate or something.) Because Dark Pit hit's horizontally, his kill% range is much larger. While he can probably kill earlier with it at the edge of the stage, it's gonna take a while for him to be able to kill from one end of the stage to the other, making not as good as a recovery option as Pit's since while it will still get them out of the way, it wont be as likely to kill if you use it as a recovery move. Pit's is also theoretically better at punishing a landing after getting the hit the just cause he wont have to chase them as far as Dark Pit would.

Last edited:

Ryutto

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if anyone has stated this already, but I've found using the side B electro shocker as an edge guard EXTREMELY efficient. Because of it's invincibility frames it will powerhouse right through your opponents ledge attack when they are recovering. This technique has stepped my game up 10 fold.

Ryutto

Smash Rookie
Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I've found using the side B "electro shocker " as an edge guard to be EXTREMELY efficient. Because of it's invincibility frames, it will powerhouse right through your opponents ledge attack when they are recovering. This technique has stepped my game up 10 fold.

(I originally posted this in the "Two Sides of The Same Coin" stickied thread, but I wanted to post it here for more to see.)

Ryutto

Smash Rookie
It looks like Dank pit has some moves. I wonder what tier he will be in?
I honestly believe he has the moves to be pretty high tier, but maybe not top. At times its hard to get a kill but I've learned that you need to really out play your opponent and not solely revolve around any 1 kill move with him. Then you start doing fine.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
My personal feedback to Pit / Darkpit:

I love his range on his bow. He fights with it very fantastic. Unfortunetly Pit doesn't attack behind himself his opponents if he use the continuant attack ( the A A A attack I hope you know what I mean ) likei n Brawl. But his attacks with the bow works great!

The arrows: It feels okay. The control is very easy but you can't see the arrows in the bright background on some stages like the Finalstage. Also you need much time after shooting to do something. The damage is okay.

Guardian orbitars:

I love them but unfortunetly it doesn't work if they was hit to hard. Besides you can't hold on them a long time. ( Its maybe better but I would like to hold them on longer. ) Apart from that they are great. In the short time they protect Pit very very good and they are usefull to land on the stage.

Upperdasharm / Electroshockarm:

I thought the Upperdasharm / Electroshockarm is stronger. Even the bow does more knockback than the Upperdasharm / Electroshockarm. Very sad but its a nice recovery, defensive and offensive weapon. I like the superarmor ability and I like how it blocks projectiles. Unfortunetly if you block an projectile at the unfavorable time you could be punished...

Power of flight:

Very very good! Yes I prefer to fly around the stage but its not bad to lose it. Not so usefull on a short way but on a long way, its very usefull. Maybe the best recovery in SSB4. Oh and my tip:
Fly against the stage so that you fly up from the bottom on the stage to the edge. It helps to avoid be punished if you land on the stage.

My short conclusion: I'm missing some things from Pit / Darkpit in Brawl but I love his new moveset. He is very requiring getting used to. But I have much confidence to Pit / Darkpit. <3

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
I honestly believe he has the moves to be pretty high tier, but maybe not top. At times its hard to get a kill but I've learned that you need to really out play your opponent and not solely revolve around any 1 kill move with him. Then you start doing fine.

Ok, I don´t play dark pit. But I´m glad you found a character you enjoyed! I only play Jigglypuff.

Coffee™

I need it....
It has super armor, not invincibility and while it does make for a decent option for covering the ledge, this did not need it's own thread.

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
Ive been using Dark Pit/Pit a tone over the last few days and they are both great characters but for some reason Pit stands out a lot more than Dark Pit. Not sure what it is but he just feels better.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Since Pit's arrow turns much sharper, it is a bit hard to hit characters that are naturally low to the ground, like Greninja and Sonic, as the arrow can just goes over their heads, and the timing can be rough with some occasional online lag and the game being new.
There's two ways to keep the arrows low to the ground as Pit. Either taping down-forward for a second right when firing, or pressing down-forward to forward like a hadoken when firing. The timing is the same for each regardless of charge, but I prefer the bowdoken.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
There's two ways to keep the arrows low to the ground as Pit. Either taping down-forward for a second right when firing, or pressing down-forward to forward like a hadoken when firing. The timing is the same for each regardless of charge, but I prefer the bowdoken.
Good to know. So Pit has more options to get it low but they require just a bit more work than Dark Pit's do.

Just tried to test their arrow speeds with my friend. We started on FD and just mashed B. They move at basically the same speed uncharged and I'm just crazy when I keep thinking Dark Pit's are faster. I got a replay of it, and hopefully I'll get to uploading it soon.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Oh wow, you can break the standard Oribitars with physical attacks. O.o
Testing right now.

Looks like only big hits will do it, thankfully. It blocks Bowser's Fsmash well enough. Regenerating is a pain, though. About fifteen seconds.

Last edited:

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
From a 3 day perspective, Pit looks and feels amazing. I'm much more impressed with this character than I expected to be. This isn't really an informed/organized post, just ramblings that I'm typing out that I'm recalling from the past weekend.

Of course, his arrows were nerfed like we saw in the demo and they aren't that fun to use at all compared to Brawl/PM. No matter how useless it was, I'll miss arrow looping in this game (unless I use the custom arrows of course). But I have gotten some lucky gimps with arrows against characters with less than stellar recoveries. They're somewhat useful in neutral, but your opponent shouldn't really be getting hit by them all that often. And for those of you that don't know, you can stall your arrow charge by spinning back and forth like you can in Brawl/PM.

His grab game is what makes me love this character. Dthrow > Usmash from 0% is basically a guarantee on half the cast (I don't know how much vectoring affects this, but this was working on people who were constantly trying to correctly vector throws). And once the percentage is a little higher, Dthrow > UAir is your best option. It works on almost all the cast, minus a few at mid-high %'s like Bowser (yes, Bowser) and others. Even if you can't get the uair immediately, you can definitely chase them down and bait out an airdodge or an aerial with bad landing/end lag then go for the punish. There are a ton of options you can work with, and try to mix them up to throw off your opponent. Other than using bthrow near the ledge, I don't think I've used a single other throw than dthrow. If someone knows of other throw uses, let us know!

His ftilt is godlike. Sure it doesn't have the greatest killing potential unless you're in rage mode and you tipper it, but it comes out ridiculously fast and I use it constantly in neutral. The range makes pivot ftilt a fantastic option especially if you're trying to read rolls/techs, trying to outspace your opponent, or for punishing short range moves with a little end lag. It also does a good job of getting the opponent offstage, so if we can get good at edgeguarding (easier said than done) it'll be game over. I think this is either the best or second best move in his arsenal.

Having mostly studied and played PM Pit for the past year, I hadn't thought Fsmash would be that good. On the contrary, I think this is one of his two best kill options. It comes out quick and using it for roll reads is too fun. Just be careful you aren't throwing it out too much, because it can definitely be punished by grab/dash attack/disjointed hitbox.

When I played and watched the demo, I quickly dismissed Upperdash Arm as a terrible move. It's now tied with ftilt as my favorite move in Pit's set. Like the rest of Pit's game (and Smash 4 in general) it's made for reads, but pretty easy reads. Seeing an opponent charge a smash attack puts a smile on my face because I know I can get the punish off of it. I say once Pit reaches over 100%, this move becomes the best Pit has. I try not to throw this out often at all (maybe 2-3 times per match, if that) because once the element of surprise is gone, it's incredibly easy to read and bait out. So be careful about using this move, play your cards right, and maybe wait until you're over 100% so it won't be stale and you can get that early kill.

Jab is also great, and I love using it against characters like Mac (which is a character I believe Pit has the advantage over).

I've had good success with Pit over the weekend, placing 2nd in an online tournament and 3rd in an offline NC biweekly. The hardest matchup I've faced is Sonic. I have no idea how to deal with him yet.

Top Bottom