• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Two Sides of the Same Aegis: The Pyra & Mythra Social thread

Arthur97

Smash Master
Even the sword isn't really unique. Ganondorf's is huge and I think still stronger. Slow, yes, but Pyra's isn't fast.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Even the sword isn't really unique. Ganondorf's is huge and I think still stronger. Slow, yes, but Pyra's isn't fast.
Pyra's is much faster than ganon's, enough so that it's useful, unlike ganon's.

That's the last I'll post on that for now. Have you noticed how you obsess over these little things?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
They gave Pyra special call-outs for fsmash that Mythra does not replicate, that's all I'm going to say on what the thought process was.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I mean, thought process may have been something like, "We gave Mythra Foresight, but let's have them match. Let's make Pyra's f-smash a bit stronger and call it special." A few voice clips doesn't really make it anything more than an f-smash in practice. Be honest, if they hadn't mentioned it as her "thing" would anyone actually think it was a gimmick or rather just Pyra being stronger?

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
You know, having frame data for Pyra's attacks would be very handy right about now.
We do have that already

No knockback values like kuroganehammer or hitbox visualization like the ultimateframedata site, but there you go

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Frame 20, huh? So this basically means that Pyra's f-smash has slightly more start-up lag than Incineroar's f-smash, and hits two frames sooner than Bowser's f-smash.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Mythra and Pyra are already going to see their time in a grand finals XD
Spargo is using them and won the winner's finals of the juice box.

He is the best online player :p But it's still impressive that he managed to take them there after not even a week.

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
Just sharing Source Gaming’s translation of Sakurai recent Famitsu column about Pyra/Mythra:

Staarih

Smash Master
XC2 the game sold out after Pyra/Mythra's reveal, and now XC2 OST has also sold out (though in this case reprints are coming). Dat Smash effect.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'd like to let everyone know that I did something for Pyra that Nintendo didn't exactly do correctly; I improved the censoring on her.

2021031009324700-0E7DF678130F4F0FA2C88AE72B47AFDF.jpg

Like it or not, this has to feel a lot more sense than just giving Pyra a set of leggings.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Though, Mythra did get her back covered for...reasons. Though, maybe that was moreso the XC2 team's doing when they made the outfit in 3D.

Gleam

Smash Ace
Let's be honest, Pyra's so called "Special" of Flare Smash is by far one of the laziest excuses of a "special" ever put in this game.

I can't wait for when we get other unique abilities like.

Sonic:
Press forward to run really fast, specific to Sonic.

Ridley:
By pressing jump, Ridley can continuously rise in the air up to three times.

Sephiroth: Long Sword. By doing any attack that involves using Muramasa, Sephiroth's reach will be notably longer than other characters with swords, unique to Sephiroth.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Let's be honest, Pyra's so called "Special" of Flare Smash is by far one of the laziest excuses of a "special" ever put in this game.

I can't wait for when we get other unique abilities like.

Sonic:
Press forward to run really fast, specific to Sonic.

Ridley:
By pressing jump, Ridley can continuously rise in the air up to three times.

Sephiroth: Long Sword. By doing any attack that involves using Muramasa, Sephiroth's reach will be notably longer than other characters with swords, unique to Sephiroth.
Why would you not advertise things like Sonic being the fastest runner in the game, having multiple jumps or having long reach? They're attributes that make characters what they are, and just because they aren't necessarily unique doesn't mean they're not special.

Arthur97

Smash Master
There's a difference between advertising that a fighter is strong and pointing to one move that isn't even really special qnd saying that it's a unique attribute. She has a strong smash attack, but being stronger than Mythra was already her thing so what makes this one move special? What makes it different than all the other strong smash attacks? Like I said before, had they not made a big deal about it, would you honestly be saying that one move deserved to be called a special attribute? And if it does, then shouldn't Mythra get a page about being fast?

No, they were marketing a not very special smash attack as something like Foresigt which it obviously isn't really comparable to. Pyra is strong while Mythra is fast. Flare Smash is more an extension of that, not a new dynamic while Foresight is something different which Pyra has no match for.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Why is stil sillll going on??

Everyone already knows this. There's no point in holding onto something like this, and whining over and over about it.
Nintendo is a business. Sometimes businesses have talking points that aren't totally accurate. I don't know why you can't just accept that things can be imperfect.

If you would've said it once, it's like ok, yeah, I agree they didn't do great with it and how they presented it. But why do you keep bringing it up over and over and over and over and over and over?

Yes, it bothers me when someone does something like that. Unlike nintendo though, you have the chance to stop, and just realize that nothing you say about it can change anything. It's useless.

If you have feelings that you have trouble processing, try voicing your feelings instead, like 'I am saddened about it', or 'I'm upset with nintendo for..'. Etc
You need to process your feelings around it if that's what keeps you from moving on. This isn't about them, it's about you. What do you need to move on from this?

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
I know I was harping on Pyra earlier on, but I'm not going to lie. Blazing End is kind of dumb. Like I thought Solo Pyra on her own would be terrible against zoners. But Blazing End straight up deletes projectiles or trades hits with the opponent. Blazing End straight up combos Snake into his own grenades because he gets stuck in Blazing End while the sword itself causes the grenades to explode. It's hilarious.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I know I was harping on Pyra earlier on, but I'm not going to lie. Blazing End is kind of dumb. Like I thought Solo Pyra on her own would be terrible against zoners. But Blazing End straight up deletes projectiles or trades hits with the opponent. Blazing End straight up combos Snake into his own grenades because he gets stuck in Blazing End while the sword itself causes the grenades to explode. It's hilarious.
I saw Spargo using blazing end a lot in the tournament he won with them, and I was surprised because I don't think it's something to be spammed, but I guess it can be pretty good in a lot of situations.

Also, if you footstool someone from it you can end them XD

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Blazing End can be used against Pyra though, so it's not fool-proof against those who have reflectors, or can Pocket the attack. And you're pretty much leaving yourself vulnerable for a while if Blazing End doesn't catch anybody. But at least if the attack does get pocketed, it won't shut down Pyra's moveset at all; compare that to Wario, whom can no longer use his Wario Bike, and King K. Rool, whom loses access to his Crownerang.

Anyway, in regards to Pyra's f-smash, we do need to keep in mind that while it may not make KOs as quickly as Ganondorf's f-smash, its shorter start-up makes it less risky to use, and it doesn't suffer from sourspots like with Roy's f-smash. It is also worth noting that Pyra's f-smash is weaker in the knockback department when compared to Incineroar's sweetspotted f-smash (which hits 4 frames sooner), but the disjointed hitboxes (and having no sourspots at all) do work in Pyra's favor.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
The usefulness or even fun factor of the f-smash isn't really the issue, but it being labeled as a "special attribute." Which it really isn't really that special outside of them giving it special voice clips.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy , Arthur doesn't seem to care at all, anything you say he'll just use as an excuse to complain about the same thing.

What I don't understand is why you totally ignore my own criticism about you going on and on about this.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Because it isn't really special! Is that so hard to see? A heavy hitter having a heavy hitting smash attack is about as obvious and natural design as they come. Why would you even list that as a special attribute? Doesn't really help their seeming poor balance between each other. There is no real justification for saying it's some big special perk when it's something you'd expect from a heavy hitter. You don't look at Ike, Ganondorf, Bowser, Incineroar, Ridley, etc.'s forward smashes and go, "Wow, that really is a special attribute they should dedicate presentation time to." The counter-arguments don't resolve that issue. A forward smash like this isn't really special, yet they used it as her gimmick for some reason. No, being strong isn't a special gimmick, especially for a smash attack of all things which are generally meant to be stronger. It's not even the strongest. It may have a combination of attributes that no others have, but it's not the only one that does this.

In what conceivable way is her forward smash special? The most anyone can actually seem to answer is that being strong is her thing while seemingly ignoring the fact that being fast is Mythra's thing, but none of her standard attacks are considered special. At least admit that.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Just to change the subject, whenever I look back at the art style that's used for Xenoblade Chronicles 2, it seems to make the female characters look cuter for some reason. Ironic when talking about Mythra, since she's more on the cool side.

But I guess I'm merely bringing this up after seeing Pneuma's artwork (which was made specifically for Ultimate).

Arthur97

Smash Master
Mythra's art did seem oddly cute. Not sure about the rest of the art. Also, in Pyra's Smash render, her hair is oddly light.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
All I know is that I'm a fan of the smash designs.
It's too bad we couldn't get pneuma beyond just art, but at least the skin we got is nice.

Last night when i played a bit, I got the feeling that I'll be switching between them a lot more than I thought at first. I feel like mythra lacks a bit of impact on her moves, and that makes me want to play as pyra.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Because it isn't really special! Is that so hard to see? A heavy hitter having a heavy hitting smash attack is about as obvious and natural design as they come. Why would you even list that as a special attribute? Doesn't really help their seeming poor balance between each other. There is no real justification for saying it's some big special perk when it's something you'd expect from a heavy hitter. You don't look at Ike, Ganondorf, Bowser, Incineroar, Ridley, etc.'s forward smashes and go, "Wow, that really is a special attribute they should dedicate presentation time to." The counter-arguments don't resolve that issue. A forward smash like this isn't really special, yet they used it as her gimmick for some reason. No, being strong isn't a special gimmick, especially for a smash attack of all things which are generally meant to be stronger. It's not even the strongest. It may have a combination of attributes that no others have, but it's not the only one that does this.

In what conceivable way is her forward smash special? The most anyone can actually seem to answer is that being strong is her thing while seemingly ignoring the fact that being fast is Mythra's thing, but none of her standard attacks are considered special. At least admit that.
Breaking news: advertising embellishes stuff.

And if Smash Flare isn't special now, there's a high chance future Xenoblade games will make it so. It could even be an interesting plot point in Pyra looking for ways to distinguish herself in combat.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Breaking news: advertising embellishes stuff.

And if Smash Flare isn't special now, there's a high chance future Xenoblade games will make it so. It could even be an interesting plot point in Pyra looking for ways to distinguish herself in combat.
Even if they did make it special in the future (and that's assuming they get in another game), that would not change it's mechanics here in Smash. K. Rool's is based off something he actually did (DK64 final boss). Doesn't make it special. If they just had to put something, at least put a little more effort into it.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's too late now, it is what it is.
meleebrawler meleebrawler I don't know why you're still keeping on that, this is pure whining on his part, it doesn't matter if you use reason, I already mentioned several times how businesses fluff things up, he just completely ignored that.

I don't like to keep on it, so yeah.. i'll just block if i see a bit more of the same.

Gleam

Smash Ace
Why would you not advertise things like Sonic being the fastest runner in the game, having multiple jumps or having long reach? They're attributes that make characters what they are, and just because they aren't necessarily unique doesn't mean they're not special.
I see my point flew over your head like the multiple jumps of Ridley.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler