• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Two Sides of the Same Aegis: The Pyra & Mythra Social thread

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
While having high mobility is good for approaches, some fighters do have ways to overcome their low overall mobility; for one example, Simon/Richter have their whips and projectile attacks.

With that said, let's just hope that Pyra and Mythra actually have good mobility attributes, as they likely won't have any mechanics that can boost their attributes.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Seems likely Mythra almost certainly will have good mobility. Would be kinda odd to promote her as the fast one otherwise even if neither seem particularly slow. Though I did see one analysis that seem to put Pyra's start up at kind of near Sephiroth for some moves which if true, wasn't exactly great news considering her sword is not as long though it does seem to have thicker hitboxes which may arguably be more favorable. Also don't know exactly how hard she hits (Sephiroth actually doesn't seem to generally hit that hard). Either way, all speculation...come on presentation.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Seems likely Mythra almost certainly will have good mobility. Would be kinda odd to promote her as the fast one otherwise even if neither seem particularly slow. Though I did see one analysis that seem to put Pyra's start up at kind of near Sephiroth for some moves which if true, wasn't exactly great news considering her sword is not as long though it does seem to have thicker hitboxes which may arguably be more favorable. Also don't know exactly how hard she hits (Sephiroth actually doesn't seem to generally hit that hard). Either way, all speculation...come on presentation.
Try not to worry, she'll be fine XD
Well, you're not the only one who was concerned about these things. I really like Pyra and wanna use her a lot, so I'm wondering about those kinds of things too, but it'll be what it'll be, and I'm gonna try everything I can and see how we can use her well, both of them.

I think she probably hits hard, and the start up isn't that big of a deal depending on the attack. I think nair is fast and that's good enough to get someone off you, and the most important is the end lag. The smashes obviously have more, but the aerials might be good with that, and so long as you time and space well it should be good, the range seemed good enough, not everyone needs sephiroth range XD.

And yup.. wanting the presentation. At least I've calmed down some, I can be patient i think :)

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I want to see them go CRAZY with the music I don't care
ARMS got so much music it would be disappointing if Xenoblade got less
Here's the list of tracks I want in Smash with all the details about remixes and stuff : https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVfKx5R-H6G5pKyAOhQBmFG9ZuRMXulBJ
I once had a playlist on one of my yt channels but half of it died from Nintendo taking down videos, rip~

I had a list of like 15-20 songs or something iirc just from XC2.

The must have battle themes or battle cinematic themes from XC2 for me are...
Counterattack
Crossing Swords
You Will Recall Our Names
Incoming!
Monster Surprised You
Bringer of Chaos!
Giga Rosa

...and if I'm getting greedy, the theme songs for the last three story boss encounters in the game.. (which I will leave unnamed for spoiler reasons).

Additionally, the penultimate boss theme and the "Paragon of Torna" battle theme have great Torna variants. The Torna version of Battle!! is superior as well so may as well add that.

I believe it's a pretty safe assumption those songs featured in the trailer will be in the soundtrack. Of those, only Battle!! was already in the game. The songs added from the trailer would be Drifting Soul (instrumental), Counterattack, You Will Recall Our Names, Incoming!

Of the area themes, all are incredible but I feel only a selection are truly suited for battle unless remixed...
Gormott Day (Torna version or original or both)
Mor Ardain Day
Tantal Day
Yggrasil
(may want to be remixed but god this song is so iconic to me, I really hope it's in)
Kingdom of Torna

I'd also be down for a medley of area themes... I think that could be done decently well. I'd be down for any original medley tbh. I want to hear what they can do.

Last, there were some special cinematic themes that have a great intensity for battle if not true battle themes that I'd enjoy fighting to like Irritation, Over the Sinful Entreaty, and The Decision.

Special shoutout to Walking With You and Desolation (piano version of the former) for being the songs that bring me the most tears. They're not really fighting songs but they're just too amazing and I associate so much mood to them.

I could go on forever about how I could argue for every damn song in XC2 to be included to be quite honest, and that's just scratching the surface of my love for this series. I could argue for twice as many XC songs than we have. I can easily name at least that many. And don't anyone dare sleep on XCX music. It's fire and if nothing else is included in Smash from XCX, it needs it's music represented.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I honestly don't see the point in bemoaning one character being "worse" than the other when we don't even know the differences between them yet. The point of this character clearly isn't to decide which of the two is "better" and exclusively use that one; it seems to be to use one when avoiding attacks/racking up damage (Mythra) before switching to the other for kills (Pyra). Considering how similar they look, I have faith they won't make this another Zelda/Sheik situation and will encourage (but not require) you to use both.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I still can't believe they're in Smash, and nearly exactly how I wanted them. My ideal moveset was Rex who could switch between Pyra or Mythra to augment his moves as an Ice Climber type deal, and what we got is almost just as good (in fact I might prefer stance change to duo character). So happy :)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I honestly don't see the point in bemoaning one character being "worse" than the other when we don't even know the differences between them yet. The point of this character clearly isn't to decide which of the two is "better" and exclusively use that one; it seems to be to use one when avoiding attacks/racking up damage (Mythra) before switching to the other for kills (Pyra). Considering how similar they look, I have faith they won't make this another Zelda/Sheik situation and will encourage (but not require) you to use both.
I think it's easy to say the default would be how you said. But that'd be a very simple way to use them, ..it might end up like that, but it'd be more interesting if both could be used anytime and it wouldn't be a less good way to use them.
They put them as two separate character, so I'd rather see both of them be equally good and also have all sorts of playstyles than always mythra and then pyra to finish off.

I'll say that I'm already so thrilled that they are in and how they are, though I do care about how they play too, so I can't help speculating around that ;p
I think they'll be fun in any case :)

Last edited:

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Pyra's smash attacks might work like Min Min's f-smash, meaning that charging them for long enough makes the elemental attribute and some additional effects kick in.

E: Looking back at the trailer though, f-smash seems to have the flame effect even when using what looks like the uncharged version. If there really is some kind of mechanic attached to Pyra's smashes, this might not be it after all. Maybe you can time an additional button press to reap some extra benefits, like the battle affinity QTEs.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Pyra's smash attacks might work like Min Min's f-smash, meaning that charging them for long enough makes the elemental attribute and some additional effects kick in.

E: Looking back at the trailer though, f-smash seems to have the flame effect even when using what looks like the uncharged version. If there really is some kind of mechanic attached to Pyra's smashes, this might not be it after all. Maybe you can time an additional button press to reap some extra benefits, like the battle affinity QTEs.
That just sounds like a needless execution barrier like L-Cancelling in Melee. Timed button presses were part of the first Xenoblade too yet Shulk has no such thing in his moveset.

I.D.

Smash Lord

I still feel like my idea is possible, even if it only applies to smash attacks and not all normals. They bring a lot of attention to it in the trailer for it to just be nothing. Like "OH MAN A FIRE CHARACTER HAS A FIRE EFFECT ON HER SMASH ATTACK"... there's just no reason to highlight that.

I.D.

Smash Lord
May have just been a way of saying, "Look! She's strong."
Look, all I'm saying is that if literally the only thing Pyra has going for her is "but her smash attacks are strong" I'm going to be disappointed

Arthur97

Smash Master
So, think that means we get them the 9th if they do a Tuesday release?

Edit: I don't think it's supposed to be just her smash attacks. Even her normal hits I think have a heavier sound to them than Mythra's.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
If they do the same thing as Sephiroth we should get them after the presentation.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I doubt they're getting a challenge mode. As cool as bonus modes going forward might be.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If they do the same thing as Sephiroth we should get them after the presentation.
Sephiroth was unique for being among the biggest major video game villains in history, which is most likely why we were given a way to unlock him early. I seriously doubt that Pyra and Mythra will get that kind of treatment, so we'll just have to wait like with all the other DLC fighters that came before them.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
D

Deleted member

Sephiroth was unique for being among the biggest major video game villains in history, which is most likely why we were given a way to unlock him early. I seriously doubt that Pyra and Mythra will get that kind of treatment, so we'll just have to wait like with all the other DLC fighters that came before them.
And even then that unlock challenge was a nod to how defeating Sephiroth was an grueling but optional challenge in his non FF appearences that rewarded you with lots of good stuff for beating him(Kingdom Hearts 2 anyone?)

I.D.

Smash Lord
I doubt they're getting a challenge mode. As cool as bonus modes going forward might be.
I question why they are doing the presentation so very early if they are just going to release them one week later anyway.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I question why they are doing the presentation so very early in if they are just going to release them one week later anyway.
that's literally how all of the fighters have worked. Seph was an exception to that rule and even then he still "officially" released a few weeks after, the boss rush thing was just a lil bonus.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Banjo was released right after the presentation so there's at least precedence for that happening. But other characters like Steve were released a week or two after. So it's hard to say, really.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Reminding me that Sephiroth's Classic Mode is the closest thing to a boss battle mode for some reason.

Speaking of, what do you think their route will be? Duos has already been done. Not sure there are enough light wielders to do light and fire. Have they done RPGs yet? Then again, maybe they'll base it off the game.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Reminding me that Sephiroth's Classic Mode is the closest thing to a boss battle mode for some reason.

Speaking of, what do you think their route will be? Duos has already been done. Not sure there are enough light wielders to do light and fire. Have they done RPGs yet? Then again, maybe they'll base it off the game.
Fighters with transformations, probably? Pyra & Mythra can transform into one another, Sephiroth can transform into his One-Winged Angel form, etc.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice

We have a full thread dedicated to this topic:

MattX20

Smash Hero
With the presentation confirmed for next Thursday, we've got two potential options for a release date: either the same day as the presentation (first time since Terry's back in 2019) or within 12 days of its conclusion.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Come on, Chrom, you're (probably) a married man. Not to mention at least one of them is spoken for.

12 days? Why couldn't it be the following Tues?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Fighters with transformations, probably? Pyra & Mythra can transform into one another, Sephiroth can transform into his One-Winged Angel form, etc.
Unfortunately, DLC fighters are never part of a Classic mode path, unless we're talking about mirror matches (such as with Hero's Classic mode path).

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Nice to see the presentation is so early in March. Hopefully it won't be long before the release either.

While you wait, have you ever wondered who's the biggest potty mouth in Xenoblade 2? If you have, I've just the video for you.

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
So what input will swapping be on with how many specials Mythra seems to have? I recently thought about what if more transformation characters could switch using back + special, but what do I know?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So what input will swapping be on with how many specials Mythra seems to have? I recently thought about what if more transformation characters could switch using back + special, but what do I know?
Most likely it's just down b. Foresight seems to be just a dodge mechanic, though we don't know if it always triggers or if there's a meter to it or something.
Also not sure how up-b can have 2 different kinds of shots it can do. Maybe if you hold b or not..

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Most likely it's just down b. Foresight seems to be just a dodge mechanic, though we don't know if it always triggers or if there's a meter to it or something.
Also not sure how up-b can have 2 different kinds of shots it can do. Maybe if you hold b or not..
I'd like to think there's an Affinity system plucked from the game. Because if you remember, Foresight is triggered by reaching maximum Affinity. Something tells me that a similar mechanic is at play here. Whether that's some sort of meter or not is still up in the air.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'd like to think there's an Affinity system plucked from the game. Because if you remember, Foresight is triggered by reaching maximum Affinity. Something tells me that a similar mechanic is at play here. Whether that's some sort of meter or not is still up in the air.
That's definitely possible. It's a really good mechanic so maybe it takes a little of something to get to that max, and then it happens for a few dodges or something. Don't take me wrong, I don't mind if it automatically triggers all the time XD but i know some players will complain about it :p

I.D.

Smash Lord
That's definitely possible. It's a really good mechanic so maybe it takes a little of something to get to that max, and then it happens for a few dodges or something. Don't take me wrong, I don't mind if it automatically triggers all the time XD but i know some players will complain about it :p
I have a hard time believing that considering it just looks like a better Bat Within at first glance. There has to be some sort of catch.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If there is affinity, which I doubt because you'd think they'd be surging with ether when that happens (you only see that in their Final Smashes, which shows Affinity as it works in 2 precisely), I suppose it's effect for Pyra would be making all moves even more powerful.

Top Bottom