• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Two Sides of the Same Aegis: The Pyra & Mythra Social thread

MattX20

Smash Hero
I don't think a alt color for a character in a fighting game is going to get Nintendo sue by Square Enix anyway, especially since Mythra & Weltall look obviously very different, and Monolith already referenced Xenogears characters with alternate colors in the XB2 DLC. Zeke & Bart being the most obvious exemple since the former is a expy of the later in alot of way.
That, and Square is already involved with Smash anyways. I've a hard time believing a color alt/reference to a game would get them that riled up

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, I hope it's mostly 2. Already a shame what we might be missing cause of this. I do hope we at least get a color swap. A lot of fans are probably in it for just 2 anyway. Though Shulk stuck to his source game, but, again, Male Robin got a white mage themed color.

Good point on Richter though.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
That, and Square is already involved with Smash anyways. I've a hard time believing a color alt/reference to a game would get them that riled up
Plus fighting game love referencing others characters from various franchise via alt colors, Skullgirls/Guilty Gear/SFV being good exemples of that, and none of them got problems for looking similar to Goku or Dio or the like.

We should be all fine.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Also, I do apologize for being a bit of a downer. It's an unfortunate habit of mine to drag conversations down. I'm also normally fairly fine with legacy stuff, but kinda like Ike, I've been really put off to Xenosaga and gears by the fans of them. Mostly because of them treating them as the same series as Xenoblade. Probably bugs me for two reasons especially, one being that it's factually incorrect unless Nintendo secures the rights which seems unlikely given how Japanese companies seem to love holding onto IP or they work out a special deal, and second, I may get the sense that since those series aren't very relevant anymore that they're kind of latching on to the ongoing series if that makes any sense. The games may be great, but I've been kinda soured to them.

And I may have once again done what I apologized for. Still, if only they weren't limited to eight slots. At least they each get eight unlike if they were alts of each other.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
One thing that's great for alts is that we have both Pyra and Mythra :D Which means 14 alt colors in total <3

I wouldn't worry about poppi colors not making it in, she still can, since some alt colors are very similar on other characters but they still add them.

Xenogears is an alltime classic, so representation from it would be cool in my eyes.

Last edited:

Gleam

Smash Ace
The likeliest alts will probably be.

1.) Rex
2.)Nia
3.)Tora
4.)Morag
5.)Zeke
6.)Poppi
7.)Dromarch
8.)Pandoria
9.)Brigid
10.)Vandham?
11.)Roc?
12.)Malos
13.Jin
14.)Pneuma?

Vandham and Roc are rather questionable because while they arguably still considered part of the main cast of Drivers, one of them
kind of dies at the very end of the chapter he's introduced
and unfortunately unlike a certain someone in the first game, he doesn't come back 4 chapters later in a mechon suit. Meanwhile Roc's not exactly pushing characterization throughout this story.

Pneuma is another interesting case because her character doesn't really come up until much later in the story but is also very spoilerfic. However Sakurai's never really been that hindered by including Spoiler so I think there's probably a better chance of this being one of the alts, if not the last alt compared to the others.

What's probably not going to happen is KOS-MOS, T-elos, anyone from Xenogears or Xenosaga. Remember, this is a "Xenoblade 2 character" and is represented by the "Xenoblade 2" banner not a "Xeno Series" banner. KOS_MOS, T-elos, these characters are not Xenoblade 2 characters. They're rare, in some cases very rare, optional Easter Egg Blades.

There's a reason that Cloud and Sephiroth don't have alts or Spirits of "Squall Leonheart" or "Kefka" connected to them. Because they are connected to the Final Fantasy VII banner and not just Final Fantasy in general. In another away, it would be like if one of the things from Metal Gear Solid was "Yoshi" cause he was in the Nintendo version games.

And that representation is very important, because as popular KOS-MOS might be, she doesn't represent Xenoblade 2.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
G Gleam if it's just colors I don't think it matters, for kos-mos being in. She's in the game and a liked character, so I think that's good enough. If it was a 3rd party character there would be issues obviously, but it's not. We'll see, I do hope her colors are there (ideally on mythra, I think)

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, a KOS-MOS is in two. Japan actually gives her a slightly different name. Obviously it's not the real one if we're splitting hairs.

That said, being all XC2 references seems out the window already. Now it may have got me somewhat paranoid about spirits and even music.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, a KOS-MOS is in two. Japan actually gives her a slightly different name. Obviously it's not the real one if we're splitting hairs.

That said, being all XC2 references seems out the window already. Now it may have got me somewhat paranoid about spirits and even music.
You worry too much XD. It'll be what it'll be, and it'll be beautiful one way or another :p

Arthur97

Smash Master
I mean, I'd be at least kinda bummed if the spirits aren't wholly XC2. Even Re: KOS-MOS would be...eh.

Though, I suppose we mostly all probably have a decent idea what the legendary will be. Especially since all the DLC legendaries have been support (RIP master driver Rex).

But, yes, I do worry too much.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
There's a reason that Cloud and Sephiroth don't have alts or Spirits of "Squall Leonheart" or "Kefka" connected to them. Because they are connected to the Final Fantasy VII banner and not just Final Fantasy in general.
super-smash-bros-ultimate-persona-5-crossover.jpg

927779694_images(8).jpeg.853d883910daf06dce7b6ad5cea15ede.jpeg

EF5ZHMwWkAInYG8.jpg

Banner argument isn't very convincing

Arthur97

Smash Master
Terry's pack was a hodgepodge, but it was at least from the same company. Though, is it sad that despite how many songs he got, I may find his music pack to be one of the weaker ones?

Arthur97

Smash Master
Though, outside of Terry's, the spirits at least usually stick mostly to the banner game. Music is a bit more varied, particularly Joker's. In the case of TH, it made sense as FE was already represented.

As for colors, you can't really blame people for expecting XC2 references. Most alts seem to reference at least their own series with a few examples. Especially the DLC with the main exceptions being the Heroes and perhaps Joker which still stick to their own series. When available, pre-existing recolors are often also used, but we've yet to see if they'll do that here. They don't always, like cutting fire Mario, but ones like Ryu and Min Min often draw from pre-existing colors.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Though, outside of Terry's, the spirits at least usually stick mostly to the banner game. Music is a bit more varied, particularly Joker's. In the case of TH, it made sense as FE was already represented.
Terry is a weird one. He has the Fatal Fury logo but all of his content that isn't specific to Fatal Fury is from KoF. Especially his stage and a LARGE majority of the songs. He actually feels more like he's representing KoF more than he is Fatal Fury, but I guess it would be weird to have Terry come in with a "King of Fighters" banner when he's officially a Fatal Fury character. But it makes sense when you realize that while Terry is SNK's flagship and most popular character, King of Fighter's is their most popular game, which Terry also stars in.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
As much as I love Red, I'm happy to have 2 characters back.....even if outside of the specials and the speed of their normals, seem to be similar to each other

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I mean, yeah, Terry's pack was really SNK. He is certainly an anomaly among the DLC.
I guess it's because he's representing Fatal Fury and King of Fighters, and King of Fighters is basically SNK Smash Bros. (it's got Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Psycho Soldier, Ikari Warriors, and bits of Samurai Shodown - I think the only major SNK franchise that hasn't been represented in there at some point is Metal Slug, and I'm not even sure about that)

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I mean, there was even a Metal Slug track or two. Though no spirit unfortunately. Was that in KoF? I don't really have much on those.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be fair, it's not every day that a company basically allows music from their entire library for practically a song. Not even Sak saw that one coming.

I guess it's because he's representing Fatal Fury and King of Fighters, and King of Fighters is basically SNK Smash Bros. (it's got Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Psycho Soldier, Ikari Warriors, and bits of Samurai Shodown - I think the only major SNK franchise that hasn't been represented in there at some point is Metal Slug, and I'm not even sure about that)
I mean, there was even a Metal Slug track or two. Though no spirit unfortunately. Was that in KoF? I don't really have much on those.
Well, technically speaking, Fio did show up in the non-canon Maximum Impact 2, so it still technically made it in. I still wish that Lien Neville will eventually be brought in the main series.

Last edited:

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Pneuma is another interesting case because her character doesn't really come up until much later in the story but is also very spoilerfic. However Sakurai's never really been that hindered by including Spoiler so I think there's probably a better chance of this being one of the alts, if not the last alt compared to the others.
I don't think knowing of her mere existence is a spoiler without context, much less some colors themed after her. An alt should be fine, and I wouldn't even mind her as a spirit since it wouldn't be an evolving spirit spoiler like Fiora and Metal Face.
To be fair, it's not every day that a company basically allows music from their entire library for practically a song. Not even Sak saw that one coming.
That plus the fact Sakurai is a huge fan of the series. Theoretically he should have full access to most first party series soundtracks too, yet we don't see them getting basically everything. Though I suppose you could argue a lot of their tracks just don't fit a fighting game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think knowing of her mere existence is a spoiler without context, much less some colors themed after her. An alt should be fine, and I wouldn't even mind her as a spirit since it wouldn't be an evolving spirit spoiler like Fiora and Metal Face.

That plus the fact Sakurai is a huge fan of the series. Theoretically he should have full access to most first party series soundtracks too, yet we don't see them getting basically everything. Though I suppose you could argue a lot of their tracks just don't fit a fighting game.
True story, I actually thought that Pneuma was a completely distinct character the first time I saw her in fan art.

Yeah, though in Steve's case it's probably a little more complicated than that, since the original songs apparently had fan involvement.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, XC2 at least doesn't really have the not fitting a fighting game issue seeing as a lot of the best tracks are either from action cutsenes or literal battle themes. I do hope we get Roaming the Wastes too at least. It's overworld, but it's amazing. Tantal might could also fit for overworld.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, XC2 at least doesn't really have the not fitting a fighting game issue seeing as a lot of the best tracks are either from action cutsenes or literal battle themes. I do hope we get Roaming the Wastes too at least. It's overworld, but it's amazing. Tantal might could also fit for overworld.
The only issue I see is the songs being good enough that they don't need remixing or even a medley, and even then I do believe that ACE would be on-board for the challenge, at least.

Arthur97

Smash Master
The only issue I see is the songs being good enough that they don't need remixing or even a medley, and even then I do believe that ACE would be on-board for the challenge, at least.
True, most don't really need a remix. Though maybe for a slower song or two. A medley like for the first one could be amazing.

Though, may not be ACE. Could get someone else.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
I still think that Battle in the Skies Above makes it in because that's one song you ever HARDLY hear but it's sooo good.

Also, since I mentioned it before. But for those that have played Xenoblade 2, who are your Top 5 favourite non-Special Blades?
I can list mine here in a spoiler:

1. Perun (Tokiha)
I have her set to Zeke because I want to give every Driver a Rare Blade of a different Weapon Class. And how Perun acts in the Japanese dub is fantastic, plus I think she fits Zeke well despite him being terrible with Megalances. Also, her heroism is nice too and I like her design.

2. Sheba (Rinne)
The most expensive Blade and lesbian of the entire cast. Sheba's a neat character who I should've really put on Nia since I have her assigned to Zeke because of course, I want to give everyone a Rare Blade of a different Weapon Class. Still, I enjoy using her, she has an interesting design and I still need to finish her Quest as well, which I'll probably get to in due time.

3. Akhos (Yo****sune)
One of the Blades you can get in NG+. Once again, put on Zeke. But he's such a cool Blade to use, I like on how loud he is like he's been struck by inspiration for something like a play or opera, since I think that's his personality? Something about wanting to write and create his own stories in plays and theatre. Still, his weapon is really cool too and I think he fits on Zeke really well too.

4. KOS-MOS
The rarest Blade in the whole game. I have her assigned to Nia, and I believe I got her before I beat the game originally, I love how she works with Nia so well with her Arts and how according to the designers, they wanted to make her look like a Magical Girl. Okay. Cool. She looks more like a Sky Striker in Yu-Gi-Oh! than a Magical Girl, but I guess I need to stop thinking that all Magical Girls need to wear frills. :V

5. Theory (Seori)
The other Rare Blade you save from the Core Crystal Hunters. I put her onto Rex as I did with Praxis, since I feel like those two should always be together on the same Driver. The fact that their Quest has a really bittersweet ending shows on how messed up the lives are for Blades. And I felt bad for having to do that to Theory just to rescue her.

And going back on topic about the music. I don't mind if we don't get any new remixes, the OST for Xenoblade has always been amazing. As long as we get some really good bangers, I'm down with anything they throw at us. They could even throw in the Basement Theme from Resident Evil Director's Cut as one of the tracks and I'd still be happy with the rest of the tunes we're given.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Was never that involved in non-story blades to be honest. I think Perun may have been my first rare though. Despite my distaste that has developed for the series through the fans, KOS-MOS was one of the few non-story blades I used earlier on in playing the game (I had pretty insane luck getting her). Herald also got some decent use earlier on. That said, my blade usage can vary, particularly for the non-story ones. I used Kassandra a decent amount at some point I think.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
I feel like I will use Pyra more since out of the two, I like her character much more than her tsundere couterpart.
I'm the opposite, but it also makes me wonder if solo maining either Pyra or Mythra is viable or if switching between them is just too good. Though I've ran into players who strictly main Ivysaur or Charizard so I guess some people might do the same in their case regardless.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm the opposite, but it also makes me wonder if solo maining either Pyra or Mythra is viable or if switching between them is just too good. Though I've ran into players who strictly main Ivysaur or Charizard so I guess some people might do the same in their case regardless.
Ivysaur is the best of the 3 pokemon and can do everything by itself, so that's a common one people go to. It can ko as well or better than charizard. Charizard is not as good but it's still about around as good as the other heavies. I'm pretty sure that's not what they were going for, but they didn't nerf ivysaur's killing power much at all, so it seems they're fine with it being stand-alone. shrug

Can just guess, but I think both Pyra and Mythra will be fine standalone, though for Mythra it really depends on how she can ko, that will make the whole difference. She could even have combos into confirms that Pyra doesn't have. But if she can't ko well, then most will probably rely on pyra to get those.
And Pyra in that case would probably work fine as a standalone, like charizard, even if she wouldn't be a higher tier character. Being a good player makes up the difference ;)

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You could argue that Ivysaur's lower overall mobility (when compared to Squirtle and Charizard) balances out the high knockback that some of its attacks offer.

Anyway, until Sakurai's presentation airs on 3/4, there really isn't much else for me to talk about in regards to Pyra & Mythra.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You could argue that Ivysaur's lower overall mobility (when compared to Squirtle and Charizard) balances out the high knockback that some of its attacks offer.

Anyway, until Sakurai's presentation airs on 3/4, there really isn't much else for me to talk about in regards to Pyra & Mythra.
I wouldn't say it balances :p Ivysaur has decent mobility, charizard is only faster for running. Ivy's range is what makes it so good. It doesn't have a triple jump, but it's dangerous to be around ivy anywhere in the air XD and the tether is amazing for recovery. And it has a lot more going for it too.

I'm glad the presentation is soon.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ivysaur is the best of the 3 pokemon and can do everything by itself, so that's a common one people go to. It can ko as well or better than charizard. Charizard is not as good but it's still about around as good as the other heavies. I'm pretty sure that's not what they were going for, but they didn't nerf ivysaur's killing power much at all, so it seems they're fine with it being stand-alone. shrug

Can just guess, but I think both Pyra and Mythra will be fine standalone, though for Mythra it really depends on how she can ko, that will make the whole difference. She could even have combos into confirms that Pyra doesn't have. But if she can't ko well, then most will probably rely on pyra to get those.
And Pyra in that case would probably work fine as a standalone, like charizard, even if she wouldn't be a higher tier character. Being a good player makes up the difference ;)
I'm not so sure about Ivysaur being the "best" these days, I've heard some competitive players starting to think Squirtle is actually the best.

Myself I think it's more of a case of being very matchup dependent. When facing ultrafast combo characters I've been getting myself to use Squirtle more (not just for initial damage racking) and I'm really seeing how low-commitment moves and tiny size really helps in not leaving yourself open.

Ivysaur is an easy comfort pick because, being the all-rounder, it usually has something it can use that it's opponent doesn't or can't answer to as well. But unless said opponent can't deal with projectiles at all, I have a hard time seeing it as the best choice most of the time. It works better as a mix-up, or to capitalize on openings made by Squirtle.

Charizard of the three is actually more comfortable dealing with swords thanks to his range and movement speed, and as with most heavies is really good at pressing the advantage. If things go well for him he can often take down opponents faster than the others could on their own. Of course there are those low-level players who just use Flare Blitz all day.

I wouldn't say it balances :p Ivysaur has decent mobility, charizard is only faster for running. Its range is what makes it so good. It doesn't have a triple jump, but it's dangerous to be around ivy anywhere in the air XD and the tether is amazing for recovery. And it has a lot more going for it too.

I'm glad the presentation is soon.
Charizard is faster than the others in every category except air acceleration where Squirtle beats him. Even his walking is not far behind Ivysaur's running. If Ivysaur was on it's own it's recovery would be way worse because of it's bad airspeed giving others plenty of time to chase Ivy down and otherwise get in the way of it tethering the ledge. The only reason people don't do it more often is because they're probably considering that you can switch to Charizard when things look bad here.

Ivy's poor movement also hampers how much it can it do in advantage. Yes up air and Vine Whip can be mean follow ups and juggles, but unless the opponent's airspeed is just as low as Ivy's, they can fairly easily get away after the first few hits, if any.

The knockback distribution on it's moves is rather lopsided, though. This means players that know Ivysaur well can more easily tell what it will probably try to do to secure kills and make it surprisingly hard to do so. The reason it is slow is probably more due to the fact that it's one projectile, that the others don't have, is very versatile in both starting combos up close and harassing from afar with it's piercing nature.

I feel like I will use Pyra more since out of the two, I like her character much more than her tsundere couterpart.
They're both tsunderes. Mythra's type is the more infamous and recognizable ("tsun", prickly or easily angered by default, "dere" or sweet and caring in select circumstances), but Pyra happens to be the opposite, less common type. She is calm and considerate by default, but becomes surprisingly stubborn and sometimes even a bit cold when things get serious. In the end I preferred Mythra because those moments where she lets her real emotions show were great examples "show, but don't tell" where her expressions and mannerisms just make her come across as a lot more genuine, without expressly spelling anything out.

On the other hand, I generally prefer heavier hitters in fighting games, so that would probably mean I'd feel more comfortable playing Pyra most of the time. But I'm sure I'll find the best places to use both in due time. Maybe Pyra will grow on me as a character some more with how much more exuberant and cheerful she is here.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
meleebrawler meleebrawler I don't agree with your assessment of the pokemanz, but I don't feel like debating about them XD

In the end I think it'd make sense for mythra/pyra to do fine standalone but benefit from each other too.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Both will probably be fine on their own. Maybe not great, at least in Pyra's case, but fine. I imagine the more casual players will skew more toward Pyra while competitive ones skew more toward Mythra if they were gonna use one.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

So...what are the odds that their swimsuits make it as alts and barely get touched for edits? I could see it.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'll use both but I'll probably gravitate more towards Mythra since I think she's a much more interesting character than Pyra, although I do still like the latter. It'd also be pretty funny if Mythra's gameplay in Smash almost completely invalidates Pyra just like in XC2.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I'll use both but I'll probably gravitate more towards Mythra since I think she's a much more interesting character than Pyra, although I do still like the latter. It'd also be pretty funny if Mythra's gameplay in Smash almost completely invalidates Pyra just like in XC2.
idk about that, that up-B Pyra seem REALLY fast and really STRONG. Blazing End also seem (key word here) really good for edgeguarding.

Feel like Pyra will get some serious firepower Get it? on her moves that make switching into her for a kill or even other scenario a advantage at time. Especially since switching between both is so fast.

Really tho, for me at least, I prefer waiting more gameplay before I say who I want to play more. Personality is nice and all, but it doesn't matter when you get PK FIRE for the 536 times, or get combo left & right by that yellow rat.

Top Bottom