• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Two Sides of the Same Aegis: The Pyra & Mythra Social thread

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Coming from the Elma thread to say congrats on getting your character in. I admit I'm still indifferent to Pyra/Mythra character-wise, but I am still SO happy they went for them and not the expected route that is Rex. Plus more female characters is always a win-win for me.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Honestly Mythra's specials look a lot more useful than Pyra's, but it could be that they don't do much damage like some think.

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
From what I gather from the trailer, Pyra is the slower but heavier hitter while Mythra is incredibly fast and nimble with multi hit attacks. Switching between the two is almost instant, with no need to wait for a meter to fill or deal/take a certain amount of damage.

It's like a character that has Sheik's speed and possibly Cloud's power?

I just hope they're top tier!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
From what I gather from the trailer, Pyra is the slower but heavier hitter while Mythra is incredibly fast and nimble with multi hit attacks. Switching between the two is almost instant, with no need to wait for a meter to fill or deal/take a certain amount of damage.

It's like a character that has Sheik's speed and possibly Cloud's power?

I just hope they're top tier!
I'm not convinced yet for the speed (besides the specials), because at one point I saw Pyra move decently fast. But I do hope mythra is fast moving.

But near the end of the trailer Mythra does a smash attack and it was definitely quicker and weaker looking (no slow strong fire effect)

Last edited:

regulus tera

Smash Apprentice
Really feel like Mythra and Pyra should have their own forums each, considering the specials alone are entirely different. But I have the same opinion about Pokémon Trainer's Pokémon, and those have even more differences, so....

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
I'm not convinced yet for the speed (besides the specials), because at one point I saw Pyra move decently fast. But I do hope mythra is fast moving.

But near the end of the trailer Mythra does a smash attack and it was definitely quicker and weaker looking (no slow strong fire effect)
Well considering they already appear in march I think it will not take long for a new sakurai explains where he will give us an indepth overview about their movesets.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Congrats to Pyra/Mythra fans. Morag was my personal pick (Holding out for a Mii costume in addition to the cameo) so I'm a bit sour, but at least we'll get more Xenoblade 2 music.

In hindsight Pyra/Mythra probably have the most appeal as an X2 rep on a technical level because you can have the semi-unique swap mechanic without having to constantly render two characters at once per player. I imagine that could've caused some framerate issues in 8-player Smash when you consider how effect and polygon-heavy Xenoblade characters are in comparison to :ultpokemontrainer:and:ulticeclimbers:. Just speculating of course.

Gotta say I loved Rex's inclusion both in the trailer as their hype man and in the game as a taunt and final smash (and possibly victory screen). That boy's outfit is such a travesty I wouldn't want to look at it for a whole match, but he's a good kid so he deserves at least this much representation.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
So now that we have solo pyra/mythra - what do you guys think will be their story mode?

I guess the gimmick will be that you always have a mii swordie (Rex) as a partner while fighting the battles of XC2:

• Nia&Dromarch (Mii Brawler + DuckHunt)
  • Morag&Brighid (ZSS + Zelda)
  • Zeke & Pandora ( Ike/Hero + Pikachu?)
  • Jin&Malos (Sephiroth & Ganondorf)
  • Shulk (Because why not)

And then this Brawl Mech Guy as final boss

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Congrats to Pyra/Mythra fans. Morag was my personal pick (Holding out for a Mii costume in addition to the cameo) so I'm a bit sour, but at least we'll get more Xenoblade 2 music.

In hindsight Pyra/Mythra probably have the most appeal as an X2 rep on a technical level because you can have the semi-unique swap mechanic without having to constantly render two characters at once per player. I imagine that could've caused some framerate issues in 8-player Smash when you consider how effect and polygon-heavy Xenoblade characters are in comparison to :ultpokemontrainer:and:ulticeclimbers:. Just speculating of course.

Gotta say I loved Rex's inclusion both in the trailer as their hype man and in the game as a taunt and final smash (and possibly victory screen). That boy's outfit is such a travesty I wouldn't want to look at it for a whole match, but he's a good kid so he deserves at least this much representation.
I'm personally waiting on a Elma Mii costume. If XCX won't get a Switch port for a while (because money), I'd be content with this.

max_0888

Smash Cadet
Im thrilled by this reveal. Besides Geno and Dixie, Mythra was my fave. I was hoping for Rex but was scared they would only use Pyra. This is much better. I'm beyond excited to Main Mythra alongside Peach and Zelda.

So happy Xenoblade has a second (and third) rep. Much deserved. It solidifies the franchise 😊

zferolie

Smash Hero
Really feel like Mythra and Pyra should have their own forums each, considering the specials alone are entirely different. But I have the same opinion about Pokémon Trainer's Pokémon, and those have even more differences, so....
Well, they seem to be like old zelda and shiek, so while they may have different sets, i feel like theor stance swapping will be vital to playing them well.

Misterfan2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Misterfan2000
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL OF YOU!

I supported the inclusion of Pyra even days before the official confirmation of Smash Ultimate at E3 2018, but I put the idea aside when I saw Rex's Mii Suit.
Now they have done the same thing that they did to me with Min-Min:
Include content that I wanted to see in the base game (In my case, I wanted to see SpringMan representing ARMS and Pyra representing Xenoblade 2).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's easy to make individual threads for how they play each in the same character section.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
It's easy to make individual threads for how they play each in the same character section.
Indeed. Right now the social tjread should have both, but once they are out we can have individual threads for gameplay tips on each.

I still think their swap mechanism will be very core to playing both, more so then zelda and shiek back in the day

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Indeed. Right now the social tjread should have both, but once they are out we can have individual threads for gameplay tips on each.

I still think their swap mechanism will be very core to playing both, more so then zelda and shiek back in the day
Yeah, they even swap in the victory screen, so they're really pumping up the mechanic.

Again, I sooo wanna know how they play each XD. I'm more patient than I used to be, but a part of me is like 'come on come on come on show us!'

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Make you wonder when we are getting that presentation.

I presume March, but I hope it ain't like late March.

Oh and, from the Malos fanboy that I am, congrat folks.
Dpab_9rUcAAwVc6.jpg
May this holy T-posing Malos brighten your day.~

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well, they seem to be like old zelda and shiek, so while they may have different sets
Seems more like their normals share the same animations, but have different properties, while their specials are completely different.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Seems more like their normals share the same animations, but have different properties, while their specials are completely different.
Really hard to tell but that would fit in my original design on the front page. I do think they were slightly different animations... but they really didnt show many normals

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Smash Youtuber Mew2King has made an analysis about their movesets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CqRkqGEO4Y

Seems there are some interesting (and unique) mechanics hidden. Like Pyra having two kinds of smash-attacks based on whatever and Mythra having some kind of buff ability that allows her dogde to become a mini counter. If that would be true I am quite pleased. I feared that they made another byleth situation where there is not much unique with the character.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Smash Youtuber Mew2King has made an analysis about their movesets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CqRkqGEO4Y

Seems there are some interesting (and unique) mechanics hidden. Like Pyra having two kinds of smash-attacks based on whatever and Mythra having some kind of buff ability that allows her dogde to become a mini counter. If that would be true I am quite pleased. I feared that they made another byleth situation where there is not much unique with the character.
I was waiting for this and will watch. Perhaps this is their respective down bs.?

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
I also thought that .... but how do they switch stances then? It cannot be normal b as that would made no sense for kirby.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
With the alts being kept mysterious for now, what do you think we're going to get?

I don't know much about alternate costumes in Xenoblade 2 (as I've said before, I haven't even reached the point where Mythra's introduced yet), but I know Pyra and Mythra get one where they switch colour schemes, so I figure that's going to be one of them. Assuming there aren't any problems with Namco-Bandai, maybe one alt could reference KOS-MOS and T-Elos? (I don't know much about Xenosaga either, but those two tend to be grouped together from what I've seen)

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I also thought that .... but how do they switch stances then? It cannot be normal b as that would made no sense for kirby.
Indeed. I feel like there is a unique way, like how inkling or terry do.

With the alts being kept mysterious for now, what do you think we're going to get?

I don't know much about alternate costumes in Xenoblade 2 (as I've said before, I haven't even reached the point where Mythra's introduced yet), but I know Pyra and Mythra get one where they switch colour schemes, so I figure that's going to be one of them. Assuming there aren't any problems with Namco-Bandai, maybe one alt could reference KOS-MOS and T-Elos? (I don't know much about Xenosaga either, but those two tend to be grouped together from what I've seen)
God, pyra with telos colors and mythra with KOSMOS colors... i would die

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
I would guess colors based on their party members and enemies:

• Zeke&Pandora
  • Nia&Dromarch
  • Morag&Brigid
  • Poppy&Tora
  • Jin&Malos

Maybe also Jin&Lora?

Then there certainly will be one where they themselves swap colors.

And if we are really lucky then swimsuits as last skin ..... I mean Shulk also got that so it would be only fair ..... ;)

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I had to look back at the trailer a bit more to get a better understanding on Pyra and Mythra, and some things pretty much came to mind...
  1. Pyra looks like she excels in offensive power, based on the strength of some of her attacks (such as her presumed forward smash).
  2. Mythra doesn't look as strong as Pyra, but her reduced power is compensated by stronger overall mobility. This includes her air speed and falling speed being almost comparable to that of Roy and Chrom.
  3. How will the transformation system play out? Since most counter moves are down specials, it's possible that taunting is the way to swap between Pyra and Mythra. Either that, or Mythra's Foresight could be her neutral special. On the other hand, Lightning Buster looks more like a special move than a forward smash.
A lot of questions that need answering, so we'll have to keep our eyes open for Sakurai's next presentation.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I'm totally expecting one of their alt being Pyra & Mythra color reversed, like here.

Aswell as maybe some of the other costumes for alts.

Will say tho, I NEED a Malos alt.

Last edited:

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
I had to look back at the trailer a bit more to get a better understanding on Pyra and Mythra, and some things pretty much came to mind...
  1. Pyra looks like she excels in offensive power, based on the strength of some of her attacks (such as her presumed forward smash).
  2. Mythra doesn't look as strong as Pyra, but her reduced power is compensated by stronger overall mobility. This includes her air speed and falling speed being almost comparable to that of Roy and Chrom.
  3. How will the transformation system play out? Since most counter moves are down specials, it's possible that taunting is the way to swap between Pyra and Mythra. Either that, or Mythra's Foresight could be her neutral special. On the other hand, Lightning Buster looks more like a special move than a forward smash.
A lot of questions that need answering, so we'll have to keep our eyes open for Sakurai's next presentation.
Theory 3 would be cool for kirby, Forsight looks sick - I just hope it lasts for a while and I dont have to recast it every 3 seconds.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
As much as I'd love for mythra to have that fast of an air speed, I think I would've noticed, it's one thing I tend to pay attention to.
It's really hard to tell, but from how fast she moved it didn't seem that fast. I'm prepared to be shown wrong :)

For how they swap, I really don't know, because we saw 4 specials with Mythra.

Edit: Also, just starting watching the m2king video, and not sure he's right about the forward smash being the underhanded attack. Unless he saw a charge spark, I think it's just a slow forward tilt. Would be interesting if it is fs tho. But Mythra's forward smash was the overhead one too.

He also says he thinks Flame Nova is down smash. I think it's neutral B.

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Based on my own observation and M2K, I think Foresight is activated by a dodge roll within a frame of Mythra getting hit, like Bayo's Bat Within.
I'm also wondering if transforming can negate landing lag, again because of M2K.

Though he did get a lot wrong with Sephiroth, he thought fair might be a special, and that Flare was the One Winged Angel form of Shadow Flare, regarding what someone above said about Pyra's Neutral B

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Based on my own observation and M2K, I think Foresight is activated by a dodge roll within a frame of Mythra getting hit, like Bayo's Bat Within.
I'm also wondering if transforming can negate landing lag, again because of M2K.
Well there's no landing lag for transforming, i think that's it, cuz pyra didn't do an attack before transforming.

And one move does seem to be a counter, not like the dodges, that's one thing I wasn't sure about but I didn't notice how the characters get slown down from the dodge, so maybe m2k is right about some kind of buff from foresight.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
But there is clearly some kind of animation she did before using foresight for the first time - or do you think that was just cutscene?

Firox

Smash Master
Me about a month ago: "Ok, so we just got Sephiroth, the supreme overlord of all swordies. No way we're getting another swordie, at least not unless it's the last DLC character."

Sakurai has entered the chat: "lul Here's another swordie, kids."

Me: "....................."

In all seriousness though, I never thought I'd be so stoked to see another swordie so soon. Pyra/Mythra looks freaking awesome and I can't wait to play them. As a big fan XC2, I'm also drooling over all the potential music we'll get. Good times are ahead.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Congrats. While I was assuming a XC2 character would show up, Pyra/Mythra were a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one. I just hope that the character switching gimmick is more :ultpokemontrainer: balanced than :zeldamelee:balanced.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I could see the fire/ dodge mechanice eother being tje down b, or a unique power of from gameplay for both girls. If its the latter, then down b is the transformation. If its the former, then how they transform is a mystery.

All very nice art. After work i plan to find and share more

Here is one, not sure if this was shared yet

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
But there is clearly some kind of animation she did before using foresight for the first time - or do you think that was just cutscene?
To me, it looks just like the charging animation for the first special they showed, I think she can just dodge out of it like Little Mac and DK (which makes it a lot better than M2K assumed).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
As much as I'd love for mythra to have that fast of an air speed, I think I would've noticed, it's one thing I tend to pay attention to.
It's really hard to tell, but from how fast she moved it didn't seem that fast. I'm prepared to be shown wrong :)
I could be mistaken myself. All that I know is that at around 2:48 (on the video from the Smash Bros. website), Mythra's dash seemed fast, but how fast she can run is currently unknown. At 2:57, Mythra performed what looked to be her up special, and she fell rather quickly after finishing it. And at around 3:00, after Mythra jumped, her air speed looked rather good.

If Mythra truly is a fast-falling fighter, having good air speed would help to compensate for her presumed up special's limited horizontal distance.

Can't say a whole lot about Pyra right now, but I am a bit under the impression that her overall mobility will be slower than Mythra's overall mobility. But by how much is unclear; the speed difference doesn't look to be as massive as if you were to compare Zelda to Sheik.

Top Bottom