• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Two Observations

Aglow

Smash Journeyman

If anyone remembers the video Smoom posted where he alternatingly hobbles and u-smashes a snake player, I would like to encourage you to master this tech. I use f-smash between hobbles, and I'm sure he did u-smash to keep his f-smash fresh, but I find that it doesn't matter terribly, and I'd prefer a fresh u-smash against Snake. Smoom may not have piloted this tech (I'm not sure), but regardless, it is such an effective cg on heavy characters, and by far one of the most easily executed. I've noted some of the better players here not using this against snakes (instead trying standard b-throws and whatnot), and they never do much more than 40-50% before the grab is dropped. This works on all heavy-gangly characters with the exception of Bowser, is stylish, and incredibly easy to execute.

Having a new/fresh controller makes such a difference! I picked up a friends new controller and found that my pivot and dd desynchs were spot on, and my grabs were much more consistent. If you are panicked about finding one, the Nintendo store online sells a new platinum one for around 25$. Otherwise the average new gc controller will run you 50-75$. I think IC players kill controllers more quickly than any other character. If you have an old, laggy controller, give it a try! It can make a HUGE difference!

Be well

Teh Future

Smash Master
actually I need the analog stick to be less stiff than a new one is to pivot desync. Whenever I keep messing up pivot ice block I just wiggle my thumb liek mad (lol no joke) and ****ing destroy the analog stick so itll move easier.

I dont think this controller will last long with me doing that though lol.

raidos

Smash Apprentice
The chaingrab doesn't work for ddd either (nana jumps to high) but he's already easy to changrab with d-throw - f-throw xD.

But yeah its defiantly easiest to do with snake and rob imo.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
it doesnt matter if you use usmash/fsmash because nana is performing it therefore it doesnt stale the smash

edit: who the **** sells controllers for $75?
and WHO THE **** would buy that?!

amazon has brand new official white GC controllers for $30

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
O: Nana's moves stale.
Nana's moves stale in conjunction with Popo's.
So say you grab a snake, nothing is stale, (not saying this is probable or will happen, just using it as an example) and you smash hobble, your smashes wont be staling as Nana hits them. The damage output for her smashes will be at their strongest as long as you haven't staled them with Popo.

Aglow

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure that the "brand new white gc controllers" are the crappy made-for-wii gc controllers. They die really fast

: (

If not, cool!

Smoom77

Smash Master
I'm glad you've noticed it's a good tech, but I have to argue to you that you can't smash hobble them if they're at low percents. They WILL get out if they're a good masher. Please do alts beforehand. And don't hit a grenade that Snake pulls out.

I was very interested that ALLY had never seen it when I did it on him, lol.

sauc3

Smash Lord
just found out ics **** doubles, we've had it wrong all along.
play annoyingly evasive, spam squall and up air, ???, profit!

for srs

ch33s3

Smash Lord
just found out ics **** doubles, we've had it wrong all along.
play annoyingly evasive, spam squall and up air, ???, profit!

for srs
ICs + Snake and ICs + MK are entirely viable teams.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
nintendo's white controllers are pretty good.

plus the longer cord is nice
I'm actually not a big fan of the longer cord. But oh well. And yea, the white controllers are really well made.

As for the move stale part, I'm 90% sure that only Popo stales their moves.

Teh Future

Smash Master
mk + any character in the game is a viable team lol.

I hate the longer cord b/c it takes like 10 mins to unravel

I dont notice any differences between the new whie ones and the original gamecube controllers, and im pretty sure there isn't any

Aglow

Smash Journeyman
Maybe I am mistaken then, and I am just too abusive.

And it is worth noting what smoom said about the hobble: don't try it at low percent. For snake I usually do one or two reps of the nubsauce dthrow nana fair (or blizzard or whatever), then go for this. I don't think one should try to grab snake at zero anyways.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
white ones are identical to the old ones barring the longer cord.

lain

Smash Master
1. There is no need to do that kind of cg because it's a lot harder to do then just hobbling (which is an I.N.F.I.N.I.T.E. regardless people). Who cares how much damage you're doing at a time or whatever.

2. You can't just say new controllers are the end-all-be-all for IC's. It's all about personal preference. My preference is an analog stick that is worn and very loose. I hate new controllers.

Aglow

Smash Journeyman
So,

I got the throw down, and it was more than helpful. I placed 5th out of 33 yesterday, and had to play against 4 snakes in brackets. Any time I grabbed a snake (barring grenades), I executed this throw, resulting in speedy death. I would like to iterate that this method is SAFER, and in fact, EASIER than regular hobbling. Fewer repititions results in fewer screw-ups.

Also, I did this grab while standing on a c4 pack more than once: had I been hobbling, I would have gotten blown to hell. I've never had an easier time killing snake. It was honestly a heartening experience: I had been really discouraged about the snake matchup, and having a consistent 0-death helped me a lot.

And the crowd was like WTF is that.

*Revised for spelling

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hobbling isn't an infinite >_>. After like 240% the ice blocks start freezing them.

Aglow

Smash Journeyman
Yes! You charge it in the same manner as a nanna charge smash with popo holding for kills. When you're ready to wrap it up, simply don't regrab and let the smash connect. I promise, after you do it once, it's a cakewalk. If z doesn't work out for you, try setting your attack to "R" for R + c-stick charges.

That's just my way though.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Eww. Z is for attack, R is for special. X is grab. Lol, I still am like, in LOVE with my controller settings.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
So, just to clarify, how exactly do you charge up a smash while grabbing? Do you hold grab and up on the c-stick?

Aglow

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it's attack + cstick in any direction, not grab. Just a warning though: don't try to downsmash with nanna during the smash-hobble: the second hit of it will knock them out of the grab half the time.

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it's the same. I use Z for jump and L for attack, so I have to charge with C-stick+L.
But in all actuality, you can do it with C-stick+grab, hence, if your grab is Z, you can use that and the C-stick. My grab is also X, so that's not really a viable option for me lol.

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
Which would be a bit harder (for me anyways) because it seems you'd have less time because you had to press Z twice. That's why it would probably be easier just setting another button to attack.
So hobble->C-Stick+attack button (maybe R or L) to grab. No double button pressing involved leaving an easier window to regrab.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Bumper Jumper >

But yea, it's going to be a pain but whatever. Now that I don't play Diddy I don't L for shield anyway.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
could always shield+a for the grab right after the charged smash...

Top Bottom